Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Apple didn't invent any of that lol.
    spoken like someone who doesnt have their BS in economics.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    spoken like someone who doesnt have their BS in economics.
    Firstly: ? (because your post makes zero sense).

Secondly: *doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Provenance View Post
    To name a few:
    Apple: "No one has ever done this before! Introducing AirPods!"
    Samsung: "Right... http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-iconx/"
    To be fair it hasn't been done before because the gear icon X uses bluetooth to connect to your device, whereas the Airpods uses the W1 chip which is a different wireless signal entirely. The Airpods are not bluetooth earbuds. They are W1 earbuds.

Firstly: ? (because your post makes zero sense).

Secondly: *doesn't.
    failing to understand nuance twice in a row

meh

remember when everyone got mad when obama said, you didnt build that?

im gonna guess you were one of the people who got mad

but its basically the same situation, except this time its microeconomically focused rather than macro. having a great idea isnt enough, you need to be able to get your idea to the market and be able to sell it before you can call it your own. especially nowadays in the world of oppressive patent laws

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    having a great idea isnt enough, you need to be able to get your idea to the market and be able to sell it before you can call it your own.
    O.o

All of those things were on the market and selling well before apple got in on the action, with the exception of the mouse which was made popular by multiple companies at once (Atari/Apple/Microsoft/Xerox/etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You mean the mouse and gui that they modeled of Xerox? Oh.
    The Apple GUI/Mouse may have gotten the initial idea from Xerox, but Apple made it actually good for the first time, with smooth movements and responsiveness.

Again, I really don't buy the idea that large incremental improvements doesn't count as innovation.

Personally, I even think taking an idea and making it commercially viable for the first time should be counted as innovation.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The Apple GUI/Mouse may have gotten the initial idea from Xerox, but Apple made it actually good for the first time, with smooth movements and responsiveness.
    I don't mean to be rude but, I think you have gotten your history from Steve Jobs/Bill Gates biopics or something, mice were around long before Apple got interested and it wasn't Apple that popularised them it was a group effort by the industry and Apple weren't even the biggest player. Xerox, Microsoft, Atari, etc were all involved too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verrayne View Post
    To be fair it hasn't been done before because the gear icon X uses bluetooth to connect to your device, whereas the Airpods uses the W1 chip which is a different wireless signal entirely. The Airpods are not bluetooth earbuds. They are W1 earbuds.
    To be fair, they're wireless earbuds. A different radio frequency doesn't make it a revolutionary product.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Apps was an ok thing but when the first I phone came out I had a phone that can everything an iphone could do and more, including GPS. Hell you couldn't even send a picture message by text which was a big deal at the time, something flip phones did for years. I hate the operation of iphones too, I am always helping people with their iphones at work because they can't figure shit out, and the interface makes me cringe, it's not very intuitive.
    I always got a chuckle out of the Apple superior GUI nonsense. Long ago I used to teach people how to use Windows when it was still a new thing. Some people picked it up easily, and others struggled. The funny part is that I was helping a few people with their "superior GUI" apples at the time, and those people were just as lost as my Windows students. I've seen no evidence that this is any better...working with my iPad (given to me as a gift) is not an improvement over my Android tablet overall (and, yes, I know the secrets to use the iPad more optimally...similar things exist on Android tablets too).

Apple's true power is PR. They convinced many people that what was mildly new was completely new, convinced many people that a different take on interfaces was a massive improvement, and convinced many people that products seriously behind the technology curve (e.g. the first several iterations of the iPhone) were the most advanced products available because of a UI or single feature. The majority of Apple products are perfectly decent, but none of them are notably better than non-Apple products available for 2/3 to 1/2 of the price.

In fact, if Apple charged appropriate prices for their products, I would happily be buying their products myself. But I'm not paying a 50% (or more) premium just because it has a particular logo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be for consumers to sue apple for false advertising with all their BS about things nobody has ever done before...
    If they can sue Samsung for having rounded corners on their phone, anything is possible.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verrayne View Post
    So basically it's using a different connection method that is more likely to give you brain cancer while it drains your battery and makes you look silly? awesome :P

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    If they can sue Samsung for having rounded corners on their phone, anything is possible.
    FWIW, this patent was one of the big losers in the patent war, I think it may have even be invalidated.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    FWIW, this patent was one of the big losers in the patent war, I think it may have even be invalidated.
    Yeah, but I think at first it passed and was only later overturned, can't remember, too lazy to go google it atm.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    So basically it's using a different connection method that is more likely to give you brain cancer while it drains your battery and makes you look silly? awesome :P
    Wireless radios don't give you brain cancer. RF radiation doesn't have enough energy to damage DNA.

The sun and earth are constantly bombarding you with RF radiation anyway.

the amount of hype that goes into apple products, is rather amusing...some serious fan boy-isms going on.
    honestly, i dont get the hype, its a phone, and a watch i've never seen anyone wear

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Personally, I even think taking an idea and making it commercially viable for the first time should be counted as innovation.
    This. For example, Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb; many had existed before, but had design problems. He just made it commercially viable by (if I recall) deciding on tungsten as the filament. In order to do so, he had to set up infrastructure for electricity distribution (which failed, btw, Nicola Tesla's model won out).

As much as I dislike Apple, I don't think it's fair to say they haven't changed the modern landscape, much as Edison did.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    The sun and earth are constantly bombarding you with RF radiation anyway.
    well the sun and earth give you cancer do they not?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Time gives you cancer. I'd pull up a graph, but if you make it past about 70 without dying in an accident or from heart disease, it'll be either cancer or dementia.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not through RF radiation, no. UV radiation? Yep. Gamma radiation? Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Not through RF radiation, no. UV radiation? Yep. Gamma radiation? Yep.
    The frickin' Universe does that too with cosmic rays. There's a reason there are regulations on, for example, pilots and flight attendants. They get exposed to a lot of radiation.

As for RF and other forms of EM radiation... doesn't matter if you have a phone, you're getting hit by them right now. The nearest cell phone tower, or radio tower, probably your cat or dog (who knows), high voltage power lines, whatever.

What does this have to do with Apple? Also, why do I suddenly want pie?