Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Warning oncoming vehicles that a Leo is up ahead

So back when I started driving that if you passed a Leo(law enforcement officer) who was sitting running radar it was common courtesy after you passed it to let oncoming traffic know that they're there. You did this by flashing your lights. It was known that if an oncoming car flashes their lights at you during the day it meant a cop was up ahead. This was to give them a chance to slow down before they got there if they were sleeding.

I still do this. Warn people to slow down so they don't get a ticket. However I don't see many people doing it these days. I'm wondering if younger drivers just don't know about this or not. Maybe it's just a local tradition.

Do you warn oncoming traffic that a cop is up ahead?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Yes. It's a fairly common courtesy still.

No I'm not in high school

I've literally never heard of this, most people that I know that really care about it have one of the scanner detectors (Which admittedly could be a bit too late at that point).

We used to do that around here, but the cops now will sometimes have unmarked civilian vehicles sitting within a few minutes of where their radar is set up and if you flash your lights they pull you over so most people don't do it anymore.

I do it because I don't want to find out later that the cop shot someone for going 3 MPH over the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I've literally never heard of this, most people that I know that really care about it have one of the scanner detectors (Which admittedly could be a bit too late at that point).
    Generally if the radar detector can see the radar the radar can see your car
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I do it, Wales, UK.

I have always done it, I kind of learned about it as a kid asking my dad why people were flashing when we were in the car together.
    I'm 33 now, I rarely see people doing it anymore, I've only been pulled over once for doing it and I simply said "sorry officer I was flashing at my friend who was passing the other direction" They cannot prove that isn't true and would have to be serious assholes to do anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't usually speed and I drive a big ugly truck, so cops don't give a fuck. I mostly got out of the habit driving my Fiero, since it has those headlights that flip up and down and they take too long to deploy to really get people's attention, and I don't care to drive with them up all the time.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I've experienced it once or twice. I have no idea how common it would be, as coming up to a police checkpoint is rare itself.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, because it alerts actual criminals of police being up ahead and can help them get away from it. It doesn't only let causal speeders escape being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant by it could be too late.

Over 50. Learned about it in my teens. Never practiced it. If you can't pay the time don't do the crime applies to speeding and traffic violations in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Over 50. Learned about it in my teens. Never practiced it. If you can't pay the time don't do the crime applies to speeding and traffic violations in my book.
    That's all well and good but, At least here in Wales the police always position themselves in places where you naturally gain speed, Say behind a slight corner that is running downhill. It's SUPER easy to trickle from 30 to 33 in these scenarios and that is enough to get done. I personally prefer to pay attention to the road and surrounding than constantly watch the speedo instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleos View Post
    That's all well and good but, At least here in Wales the police always position themselves in places where you naturally gain speed, Say behind a slight corner that is running downhill. It's SUPER easy to trickle from 30 to 33 in these scenarios and that is enough to get done. I personally prefer to pay attention to the road and surrounding that constantly watch the speedo instead.
    I get that, Not sure of your cop situation, but generally here in the states we do not get ticketed unless you are closer to 10 mph over, and in situations like you described I have not known anyone who has gotten a ticket or a cop/department that would write one.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Only if you're the front man. On the Interstates, if there is a gap, you'll get the alert from the car in front of you as your warning. It's why some people will ride someone's bumper but never pass when giving the chance. (which doesn't always save them)

@OP. I've seen it from time to time still across the US. In some states it's technically illegal, though I imagine that's a pretty tough one to prove.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    I do it because I don't want to find out later that the cop shot someone for going 3 MPH over the speed limit.
    Yes because that happens soooooooooooooooooooo often.

Just stop it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I get that, Not sure of your cop situation, but generally here in the states we do not get ticketed unless you are closer to 10 mph over, and in situations like you described I have not known anyone who has gotten a ticket or a cop/department that would write one.
    ~10% to allow for speedo variations.. If I'm doing 33-34 in a 30 zone I'll get a ticket

No unless it's a friend, they can have dead children in the car for all i know. Also if you own a car then you should have no problem paying a ticket.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do it all the time. Plus I waze so people will know ahead of time.