Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    However, this second time had a reduced impact for me, mostly because of how the intervening portions of the show had begun to sour.

What hurt the series the most was, for me, Subaru himself. There was no concrete basis for his love of Emilia; they are introduced to each other and shortly thereafter he has a life-defining devotion to her. This crucial failing plagued his character the entire series: my lack of faith in his motives undermined my ability to identify with him, and left the romantic aspect entirely hollow. This effect was intensified with Rem. She develops a devotion to Subaru at a supernatural pace as well, only to have it thrown aside for his artificial sentiment for Emilia. That Rem accepted this with as little resentment as she does completed the total psychological disconnect the series has in the romantic department.
    I some what agree with this. Though, it didn't create as much of a problem with the series for me. On a psychological level, I find it completely acceptable for people to make vastly overbearing and unnaturally strong emotional links to other people, in states of heightened stress/emotional and psychological trauma. Subaru attaches himself to Emilia in a way she doesn't even expect or understand herself. This is made vastly clear during their brief conversation after he makes an idiot of himself during the ceremony and afterwards: His love is a one way street, due to shared experiences that she has no knowledge of. The show makes it clear that he's spent basically about a month with her, though to her it's only a couple of days, because of the short cuts he takes in concluding the problems he's come to understand and resolve.

Subaru is a loner at heart and doesn't appear to have had much contact, or any relations with girls prior. What he has, is more likely a form of emotional hunger, rather than a genuinely true love. Hell, he has to admit himself, that everything he has done has actually been for his own well being in truth. Emilia is more a focal point for his desire to have a satisfying life. Don't forget, that he does shift his attention to Rem at a desperate moment, being fully willing to go and live with her. These are child-like emotions of an unstable mind at work. He may insist that he loves Emilia /after/ Rem turns him down, but it's clear that he's just seeking comfort in someone, if not anyone and Emilia just happens to be the first choice. I genuinely believe she could have been anyone. However, in her, he has given himself a cause and purpose and he's willing to do everything he can to make that delusion a reality.

As to why he acts like this, Emilia is literally his saviour. In their first encounter, she protects him, helps heal him and stays with him for a needlessly long time, to her own detriment. Subaru is instantly attracted to these elements of her personality, more than likely because it's the first time anyone's shown him any real comfort or kindness. Through death, he's become more desperate and borderline feral. He's learnt of pain that he could never have experience or known before and wants to run away from that as best as he can.

Beyond my criticisms of Subaru's construction that he was just really...really...really obnoxious. Sometimes it is good that a series is painful to watch because it is eliciting pathos, but others it just means that your character is an ungrateful, immature, self-deluded teenager who is irritating as hell. We've been over it time and time again in this thread, but I still don't believe that it was necessary to have it be as unpleasant as it was. Having a character be unpleasant and having the experience be unpleasant are two separate things.
    I agree that Subaru is an obnoxious character, on numerous levels. Although, I enjoy watching characters like his interact with other people. Especially when there are negative consequences involved. I just find them fascinating. The worse the character and the more despicable their interactions, the more loathsome the personality, the more my morbid curiosity desires to see them pay and learn, or suffer.

He was presented differently, in a more intelligent and thoughtful manner, though not earth-shatteringly so in the Light Novel version; However, that's not worth factoring in, as the anime presentation of the character is its own thing.

Finally, I still have a more personal complaint that I simply disliked much of the focus of the series. I was most fascinated by the royal selection, the backgrounds of Emilia and Roswaal, and the connection the Witch had to the past and present. In 25 episodes our knowledge of these aspects hardly grew. Aside from a single tantalizing comment from Roswaal that he was interested in destroying the Dragon, and the implied centrality of Emilia winning the election to achieve this goal, our knowledge was not advanced. When the series devoted much of its time and effort to the white whale, Wilhelm and new characters, etc. I lost interest at the crucial climax, leaving me to simply finish the series by way of habit.
    In truth, the series has acted like a very prolonged introduction and its cut off point has ended up being rather awkward. This is one of the few times, where I've actually thought they could have cut a lot of parts, to tighten up the overall delivery of the show. They've been extremely thorough with their coverage of the source material, but it wasn't this necessary, in my opinion.

In the end I'd rate it a fair 6/10 which has a few arcs that are quite engrossing but otherwise is hurt too much by unsubstantiated and irritating characters and pacing/focus.
    Absolutely disgusting. How dare you have an opinion. I will give it a 7/10. It had some heady highs for me, but overall, it was just a solidly entertaining series.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    If they ever decide to make a second season, which, despite the show's success seems somehow unlikely to me, it won't be out for a few years, so you might as well just start reading the WN/LN if you're invested to this degree.
    I'm pretty certain they will follow it up, but it will more than likely have a 2 year gap. It's just too big of a money maker to not follow-up on.

If they ever decide to make a second season, which, despite the show's success seems somehow unlikely to me, it won't be out for a few years, so you might as well just start reading the WN/LN if you're invested to this degree.
    A few years? Really? That sounds akin to shooting yourself in the foot if it was popular (Which it seems to have been), since you risk losing so many due to lack of interest to pick it back up from the start.

This is hurting me to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    A few years? Really? That sounds akin to shooting yourself in the foot if it was popular (Which it seems to have been), since you risk losing so many due to lack of interest to pick it back up from the start.

This is hurting me to hear!
    Nah. Look at Attack On Titan. It's had a couple of years gap and if anything, its fanbase has grown, manga sales exploded for a while and now people are starting to get feverish about the release of a second season. It's pretty good marketing, which allows for growth, without over-saturating your fans with an overdose of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Nah. Look at Attack On Titan. It's had a couple of years gap and if anything, its fanbase has grown, manga sales exploded for a while and now people are starting to get feverish about the release of a second season. It's pretty good marketing, which allows for growth, without over-saturating your fans with an overdose of content.
    Did it? I didn't watch the anime yet honestly, I stuck to the manga version.

Licensing, planning and producing an anime takes time. That's completely ignoring the fact that it has to get the green light first. Shinzai's guess of about 2 years is rather accurate judging by the shows that have gotten a second season after I watched them airing.

I'm also not even sure if there is enough of the source material out for a second season by now. A lot of manga/LNs get an anime when just enough of the source material has been released to justify that and depending on if it's a weekly or monthly release, getting enough material together for a second season just takes even more time.

Even shows like JoJo's have a ~1 year gap between seasons even though every part until the eighth one is already completed.

edit: Hibike! Euphonium is a good example of this. The second season is going to air next season and the original run was in the spring season of 2015. I also noticed that I rated it 9/10, which is too much. Down to an 8 you go.
    Well, a year I could understand, with 2 years at max, but a few years to me is like 3-5 years. Even shows like Game of Thrones take somewhere between a year or two to come out with the next season.

I know they started making the Re:zero manga though, you think they would keep updating that while the anime isn't, or will they just stop at the end of the anime?

Although I imagine Unified would have a better grasp than me about how much more they have, it does sound like they have enough for an extra season, taking into account that they're going to be a year gap at minimum at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know the anime adapted till volume 8 and volume 9 releases in Japan this sunday with v10 at the end of October (or was it November)? So yeah. Sure there is the WN but they never use that as a source.

There are even ads in Akiba saying the ln is the sequel of the anime http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...nd-series-flag
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

As far as I know, reading the WN/LN would be your best bet because the manga is behind everything else in terms of publication and scanlation, iirc. As you said though, Unified will know.

I usually think of 2 when I say few, but that relates to how the most common equivalent to that word is used in my native language, so I can understand the confusion there. I think it's usually unlikely for something to get a second season if they do not announce it within a year after the original run, so for now all you can is wait if you don't want to pick up any of the source material.

Even I am going to try and read the WN though and I usually do not read LNs or WNs by principle, if that means anything to you.
    I wouldn't mind waiting for the manga to catch up honestly, but I just went to try to read it and to check the most recent update, got up to it being Lem and Lam instead of Rem and Ram, and "Lam" calling Subaru "Balls".

So yeah, maybe I'll try the written versions.

Taboo Tattoo 12 - Again, am I glad that this is over. This show was nothing but terrible. At first it was bad enough to be enjoyable and only because I was watching if with a friend, but we both had a really hard time watching this after the first few episodes.

The CGI was hideous, the camera movements had a terrible framerate and the fight animations were only made to look good superficially but were actually incredibly clunky.

I couldn't care less about the teen-fanfiction tier story.

Purposefully or not, it was actually funny when it didn't try to advance the story and the voice acting for Tom was hilarious, but the occasional, unexpected comedy was really the only redeemable quality this anime had.

5/10

By the way, what's up with that after credit scene? Don't tell me this of all things is going to get another season.
    Oh, it's done? So I can chain watch and hate myself for doing so rather than slowly torturing myself each week?

I might now that I have no Re: Zero to watch.

Administering only a portion of this show that is equal to poison to myself weekly was probably the only way for me to watch it.
    I need to chug the bleach, not sip it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need to chug the bleach, not sip it.
    bleach has no effect on me after sipping it for a decade! *hits head on wall to kill the unkillable bug*
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Swisted View Post
    I'm proud of you.
    That's at least one person I made proud in my life then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    *hits head on wall to kill the unkillable bug*

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind waiting for the manga to catch up honestly, but I just went to try to read it and to check the most recent update, got up to it being Lem and Lam instead of Rem and Ram, and "Lam" calling Subaru "Balls".

So yeah, maybe I'll try the written versions.
    Lem/Rem, Ram/Lam, balls/barusu are all read the same way: Remu, Ramu and barusu respectively
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-09-19 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Lem/Rem, Ram/Lam, balls/barusu are all read the same way: Remu, Ramu and barusu respectively
    The balls part wasn't too bad, but it actually causes me frustration to see characters called different names even if it's still the same technically overall.

Especially when someone's translating it, in this case, chances are they know most people will know them by Rem and Ram, so why not just keep it that way? I'm sure it's a minor thing, but still, more found it funny though to just see her come down the steps and be like "Balls".

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    That's at least one person I made proud in my life then.
    One of many I am sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    new game 11 - nice touch to have the game's reveal as the OP
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Yeah, Volume 10 is Oct. 25th or 26th, iirc.

But Volume 9 is the one that has the end of arc 3 in it. The title of the last anime episode is basically the title of chapter 5 in Volume 9 ("A Story That's Just That"). So they either took inspiration from the WN or already had the LN somehow.
    Wouldnt know, i don't follow the show.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    The balls part wasn't too bad, but it actually causes me frustration to see characters called different names even if it's still the same technically overall.
    But they aren't being called different names, it's just written differently. The way you're supposed to pronounce them is the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Especially when someone's translating it, in this case, chances are they know most people will know them by Rem and Ram, so why not just keep it that way? I'm sure it's a minor thing, but still, more found it funny though to just see her come down the steps and be like "Balls".
    Because they think that their translation method is "better" in how they adapt names and that they're important enough to think that (which they aren't, they translate manga online). If it's the first version, that's fine (a la Akame ga Kill), but if they're translating something after essentially official names come out and they choose something else, chances are they're retarded.

Finished ReZero. Solid 8/10. It would have been a 9 or maybe even a 10, but Rem really dragged down the show for me in a lot of ways. I'm just happy she wasn't in the last couple of episodes. It was much better without her there.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    But they aren't being called different names, it's just written differently. The way you're supposed to pronounce them is the same.
    Maybe in the original language, but Rem and Lem are pronounced quite differently in English, which is what is bothering me.