Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Elections being one of the biggest privileges of citizenship...

At least this all tells us who is full of shit when they say "I have no problem with legal immigration".
    Fourth time. Just for you, princess.

They are free to do it. I'm laughing at the transparency of their intent as there was no real push before. And there will not be one until the next cycle. Can't use immigration reform as a platform if you actually reform it, now can you? Republicans figured that out forever ago. Just like politicians are truly experiencing of being "In favor" of marijuana, but nothing outside of states doing it while being looted by the ATF will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Examples?
    Ah, ah cmon don't make me say it.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

15+ Year Old Account
    Elections being one of the biggest privileges of citizenship...

At least this all tells us who is full of shit when they say "I have no problem with legal immigration".
    This was pretty much my immediate thought when I see Republicans begin whining about legal immigrants, who have pretty much already passed all the processes and tests and are just awaiting full citizenship.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Maybe you should ask the Republican led House and Senate to do their job, because Obama has sure as hell been trying.
    I was thinking about asking Obama and Democrat Congressmen to propose reasonable bills for once.

Did anybody expect Republicans to vote for bills which would give illegal immigrants (yes illegal immigration provisions made their way into immigration reform bills) access to free healthcare, free legal aid, various welfare programs, housing programs, etc?
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

They are free to do it. I'm laughing at the transparency of their intent as there was no real push before. And there will not be one until the next cycle. Can't use immigration reform as a platform if you actually reform it, now can you? Republicans figured that out forever ago. Just like politicians are truly experiencing of being "In favor" of marijuana, but nothing outside of states doing it while being looted by the ATF will happen.
    Yes, cannot trust immigration reform, from people who made it through existing immigration policy? How about a simple check on if the increase in expedition demand is due to increase in applicants. How about you spend the few seconds you wasted in calling him a princes, to instead Google if there is maybe a historic rise in citizenship applicants, that would justify a request for quicker registry? Try it... Let me know how that turns out...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I was thinking about asking Obama and Democrat Congressmen to propose reasonable bills for once.

Did anybody expect Republicans to vote for bills which would give illegal immigrants (yes illegal immigration provisions made their way into immigration reform bills) access to free healthcare, free legal aid, various welfare programs, housing programs, etc?
    And yet, those weren't the only immigration reform bills that they pushed out. Many would simply have smoothed out and shortened the bureaucratic quagmire of becoming a citizen, but we can't have people gaining citizenship in less than 5 years!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, cannot trust immigration reform, from people who made it through existing immigration policy? How about a simple check on if the increase in expedition demand is due to increase in applicants. How about you spend the few seconds you wasted in calling him a princes, to instead Google if there is maybe a historic rise in citizenship applicants, that would justify a request for quicker registry? Try it... Let me know how that turns out...
    No, this expidition is purely for the election. No one is going to be sped through after November ends until 2020. Not even for Midterms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Conservatives have a problem with it!
    And people not liking insults is the reason you don't do the same thing, correct?

Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Except... this administration has been pushing for immigration reform to make the process faster and smoother for all involved. It's just that a certain party seems to like the fact that the immigration system can often take years to complete, and they want to keep it that way.
    This still leaves the question there; what strategic advantage does the Democratic party gain by making this effort during the apex of an election cycle?

These people are pretty much already all but accepted. They're going to be citizens within a year. This election will determine the political climate for at least the next 4 years. So it stands to reason that it would actually be pretty important that these people, who are going to be greatly affected by this election, take part in it. Why arbitrarily block them?
    We're not talking about blocking them. They'll become citizens once they are processed, all the same.
    If the logic stands (that an election year is more important than non-election years for prospective citizens, therefore provision of citizenship should be accelerated), why not write provisions for the acceleration of immigrant processing into law?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    These aren't people who would otherwise be excluded. This just moves their timetable up slightly. It isn't about bringing in "more" immigrants, at all. Just ensuring that as many who are near the end of the naturalization process can have that process wrapped up to let them participate in the country they're becoming a part of.
    This is all talking about these people but that really isn't the point and I'm really skeptical that the Democrats would be doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. They want to win the election, and they're using this strategy that they think will help them win the election.

Mind, I don't want that taken as a partisan thing. The Republicans would likely do the exact same thing if it could work for them, and both parties have employed strategies of the same flavor like gerrymandering in the past. The 'outrage' of this is just that they've been caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

And people not liking insults is the reason you don't do the same thing, correct?

Oh wait.
    Do what, call people sheep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

And yet, those weren't the only immigration reform bills that they pushed out. Many would simply have smoothed out and shortened the bureaucratic quagmire of becoming a citizen, but we can't have people gaining citizenship in less than 5 years!
    There's this problematic mechanism in the legislative process called the rider.

Sometimes its used to slap on an unreasonable provision that all but ensures the bill will not pass.

Sometimes, when attached to a reasonable bill, the underlying goal is to use the failure to pass as a launchpad to go out and slander a particular side for not voting for something.

Now combine that with the fact we suffered years of Harry Reid intentionally letting things rot on his desk instead of calling them to vote and you can see why I'm irked that government now all of the sudden wants to do something when its government that has something to gain.
    MAGA

They are free to do it. I'm laughing at the transparency of their intent as there was no real push before.
    You're reading the intent you want to read.

You're reading the intent you want to read.
    No. The intent I want is they are doing this because it's the right thing to do.

Pushing because it's almost November of an election year and not before then has one clear intent.

No. The intent I want is they are doing this because it's the right thing to do.

Pushing because it's almost November of an election year and not before then has one clear intent.
    Yeah, to try to get some people in under the wire to be able to take part in an election they really want to be part of.

It can't be crunch time all year, by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    This still leaves the question there; what strategic advantage does the Democratic party gain by making this effort during the apex of an election cycle?
    Assumably the new citizens are more likely to vote Democrat, which means that the problem isn't that the Democrats are pushing up the timetable, it's that Republicans have trouble appealing to new voters.

One party's "strategy" is to get as many people to vote as possible. The other's "strategy" is to disenfranchise voters. If, in a democracy, a party has a problem with getting more people out and voting, it means that said party has problems with its message.

The real question is "why would anybody object to more people voting?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The real question is "why would anybody object to more people voting?"
    We have these limitations on who can and can't vote for a reason.
    Do you want felons to vote?
    Do you want people under 18 to vote?
    Do you want foreign nationals to vote?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, this expidition is purely for the election. No one is going to be sped through after November ends until 2020. Not even for Midterms.
    You didn't google did you? Right now, not in December 2020, there is a historic increase in citizenship applicants for the election. This means that without being expedited now, not in 2020, their citizenship timing would be greatly impacted. You are refusing to even check if there is a spike right now to justify it. Fucking Google for 2 min...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    We have these limitations on who can and can't vote for a reason.
    Do you want felons to vote?
    Do you want people under 18 to vote?
    Do you want foreign nationals to vote?
    You know damn well what I meant- without changing eligibility requirements, why would anybody object to more legal and eligible people voting?

Anyway, for kicks
    -Generally, no while serving their sentence, but with rights restored afterward
    -I'd be fine with people starting to vote earlier if they pass some sort of test
    -Only citizens should vote

Yeah, to try to get some people in under the wire to be able to take part in an election they really want to be part of.

It can't be crunch time all year, by definition.
    I'm sure they were rushing them last year and will continue to after November.

And did anyone ask them if that's the reason they want in? Or did they decide that for them?

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, not the fact that the number of applicants is spiking right now. They are not asking to expedite the normal pace if applicants, but a historic high. You are adding a bias spin to something that has a very clear intent of not increasing current wait periods due to a large spike in applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You didn't google did you? Right now, not in December 2020, there is a historic increase in citizenship applicants for the election. This means that without being expedited now, not in 2020, their citizenship timing would be greatly impacted. You are refusing to even check if there is a spike right now to justify it. Fucking Google for 2 min...
    Yep. I'm sure that's the reason. Fuck timing and lack of caring.