The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I leveled a tank (and then basically quit again) without addons.

I really feel like this game has become simplified to the point that I probably don't need addons outside of aiming for a top 0.01% parse on some logging site. It's weird to think that given that I'm still collecting paycheques from google for Addon/UI videos I made like 5 years ago.
    I get some dollars every month for my YouTube channel. ;P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I still don't get the attraction of lighting your computer up like time square.
    Replacement christmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Try reducing overclocks. In my experience, wow is very sensitive about that, far more so than any other games I've played.
    The coder in me can't help but wonder what would cause one game to be more sensitive to overclocks than another. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Just started playing WoW again (after a 2 year break). I'm a bit of an addon whore so by far the most time-consuming thing is setting up everything. It takes DAYS just to remember all the addons I was used to, and then set them up...urgh. But no choice because I can't stand Blizzard's tiny health bars, cast bars, etc. Increasing UI scaling isn't the answer >_<

I should probably save my addons folder between WoW installs.

Blizzard have definitely brought their stock UI a long way though.
    Interface Addons are such a mixed bag. On one hand, they give you very high customizability to get things looking just the way you want. On the other hand, the task of keeping them up to date, making alts, coming back from a break, new computer, etc, just sucks. Overall, I think the tradeoff is worth it, but I still groan every time I have to deal with it. (My UI's overall layout and composition still traces back to Wrath...)

I actually have addon backups (including WTF) back to 2012. I should probably think about pruning that. (It's 4gb and change.)

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I leveled a tank (and then basically quit again) without addons.

I really feel like this game has become simplified to the point that I probably don't need addons outside of aiming for a top 0.01% parse on some logging site. It's weird to think that given that I'm still collecting paycheques from google for Addon/UI videos I made like 5 years ago.
    I can't imagine playing WoW with the base UI. I need at least 1) unit frames in the middle of the screen 2) rotation / cds in the middle of the screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy that the base UI is alright enough for me.

I've used RealUI before, but honestly, it takes away so much shit and just minimizes things to death that sometimes it's just too much.

Skada, DBM, and RC Loot Council because guild, it is!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've used RealUI before
    Also TukUI/ElvUI. Those all-in-one addon packs look super sexy, but then I realize they don't fit my preferences and style whatsoever.

Nothing beats customizing your own UI from scratch.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I like the aesthetic of Warcraft's UI, but I don't like the UI.

Nothing would make me hate life more than elvui. It is everything I hate about things. In particular, it's ugly as heck.
    It really makes me nauseated.
    I use unitframesimproved for unit frames, and a macro to scale them to 1.6.
    I don't have many visual altering addons.

Will add pictures of my ui later
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazon's second shipment of the SSD for my manager and NVMe for me came in as promised this morning! Time to install it I think and drag WoW over.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I just realized that uploading the original screenshot file (Shadowplay with .PNG) to Imgur = Imgur converts it to JPG, washes out the colors and shows compression artifacts. Yuck.

http://i.imgur.com/YZDSVXo.jpg

So I converted PNG > JPG locally in Photoshop and THEN uploaded to Imgur. Much better.

http://i.imgur.com/4h3kbXQ.jpg

JPG isn't all that bad when done properly

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I just realized that uploading the original screenshot file (Shadowplay with .PNG) to Imgur = Imgur converts it to JPG, washes out the colors and shows compression artifacts. Yuck.

http://i.imgur.com/YZDSVXo.jpg

So I converted PNG > JPG locally in Photoshop and THEN uploaded to Imgur. Much better.

http://i.imgur.com/4h3kbXQ.jpg

JPG isn't all that bad when done properly
    It converts it to JPG if it passes a certain file size I believe. Think it's 1 or 2 MB? or something. Anyways, jpg is like any lossy media. At a certain point the quality is good enough where most people won't notice it but it's still not lossless. More often than not the compression isn't done at a high enough quality though, or in a lot of sites that allow uploads, done very badly. There are actually fringe cases where jpg compression actually increases file size relative to a lossless file format. They're mostly images with a lot of solid blocks of the same color. Usually very simple background color + foreground text/logo do not need lossy compression because it's pointless and actually may be detrimental, ironically.
    That said there are a lot of caveats in a file format for images. While it doesn't really matter for 99% of the population, aka people that don't do professional work, lossless formats like png still comes in different form. PNGs can be taken as 8bit (256 colors, just like gif), 8bit color channel, 10bit or 12bit (last I remember at least). Then there's of course color space and whether or not if you want to either embed a color profile to keep it in whatever format you use, convert it and/or attach color profile (for certain image formats).

10+ Year Old Account
    Teknik is the best to upload images.

So, here's some pictures of my UIs.

Vanilla! Couldn't get much cleaner than this. *cough*

WotLK 1. I loved how I used the rune animation, as compared to its idle state in Death Knight 2
    WotLK 2. Another take entirely. I miss PowerAuras, and when I had the energy to do things with it.

Current UI.
    It's pretty basic and close~~ish to the base Blizzard UI.
    I don't use a lot of addons. to be specific, advanced interface options, bartender4, dejacharacterstats, ealign, msbt, omnibar, quartz, skada, tidyplates, unitframesimproved, weakauras
    /run PlayerFrame:SetScale(1.6)
    /run TargetFrame:SetScale(1.6)
    is what I use
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2016-09-24 at 06:33 AM.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you please tell me what you use to skin Recount like that?

Does anybody know if WoW synchronizes settings across multiple machines? I recently noticed that HBAO+ was active on my main PC (which has an AMD graphics card) even though I'm very sure I have never turned that on. My laptop has an nVidia GPU (940 MX) and I suspect HBAO+ was turned on by some "default settings for nVidia" option when I last played WoW on the laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, here's some pictures of my UIs.

Vanilla! Couldn't get much cleaner than this. *cough*

WotLK 1. I loved how I used the rune animation, as compared to its idle state in Death Knight 2
    WotLK 2. Another take entirely. I miss PowerAuras, and when I had the energy to do things with it.

Current UI.
    It's pretty basic and close~~ish to the base Blizzard UI.
    I don't use a lot of addons. to be specific, advanced interface options, bartender4, dejacharacterstats, ealign, msbt, omnibar, quartz, skada, tidyplates, unitframesimproved, weakauras
    /run PlayerFrame:SetScale(1.6)
    /run TargetFrame:SetScale(1.6)
    is what I use
    You have the Elgelon mount?
    "A flower.

Can you please tell me what you use to skin Recount like that?
    Me? And current one? It's Skada rather than Recount actually, an alternative I've used since late Wotlk. If you mean the Dk-pictures, I have no idea and I wish I could say. There's a lot about how I designed that ui (that isn't necessarily apparent) I would want to find again. I don't know how much Recount itself was skinned though, I remember there was some sort of base background addons I used for that. Shadowing and stuff that I then placed the Recount window over. Assuming you are talking about that at all. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You have the Elgelon mount?
    Yep! Apart from 430+ kills on both old and the new Rivendare, I am pretty lucky with rare mount drops
    Had the anzu mount on all my 85s, swift white hawkstrider on four, both swift brew fest mounts on all, Attumen on two, swift zulian tiger on two and all three brewfest mounts on my rogue, before they merged them all account wide.
    Elegon mount I got on my third kill, I think. The kill I got it was gonna be the first of a weekly grind. That now never happened.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Me? And current one? It's Skada rather than Recount actually, an alternative I've used since late Wotlk. If you mean the Dk-pictures, I have no idea and I wish I could say. There's a lot about how I designed that ui (that isn't necessarily apparent) I would want to find again. I don't know how much Recount itself was skinned though, I remember there was some sort of base background addons I used for that. Shadowing and stuff that I then placed the Recount window over. Assuming you are talking about that at all. Sorry.

Yep! Apart from 430+ kills on both old and the new Rivendare, I am pretty lucky with rare mount drops
    Had the anzu mount on all my 85s, swift white hawkstrider on four, both swift brew fest mounts on all, Attumen on two, swift zulian tiger on two and all three brewfest mounts on my rogue, before they merged them all account wide.
    Elegon mount I got on my third kill, I think. The kill I got it was gonna be the first of a weekly grind. That now never happened.
    Skada is actually better than Recount for the gigantic numbers we are seeing nowadays, apparently!

And wow, that's fucking amazing luck! O_O
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skada was always better than Recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Skada was always better than Recount.
    Yep! As soon as I knew about it existing, ie Wotlk, I switched. Far more resource efficient and removed my loading screens basically.
    It is apparently(?) less accurate for logging purposes.

(Logging is one of things that make me feel dissuaded from ever raiding again at all. It's all so serious on every level now. I miss durdling around with clearly inferior specs and still have fun without people making fun of you or your decisions - - and then beating their dps anyway.
    Got a few server firsts in tbc and double digits worldwide. But these days, it's not for me.)
    &nbsp;

Yep! As soon as I knew about it existing, ie Wotlk, I switched. Far more resource efficient and removed my loading screens basically.
    It is apparently(?) less accurate for logging purposes.

(Logging is one of things that make me feel dissuaded from ever raiding again at all. It's all so serious on every level now. I miss durdling around with clearly inferior specs and still have fun without people making fun of you or your decisions - - and then beating their dps anyway.
    Got a few server firsts in tbc and double digits worldwide. But these days, it's not for me.)
    Yeah, logging is far too hardcore for me now. I'm about as casual as you can get before you don't log into the game