Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverware View Post
    He's a fair weather opportunist who is anti-consumer until the public opinion has shifted into a certain direction and it's "safe" to say certain things.
    What has he been fair weather about? The only thing that comes to mind is Amiibos, but I see that more as him getting frustrated at being unable to buy them, not playing his userbase. When had he been anti-consumer? He seems fairly consistent on the whole "fee to pay", as he calls it.

"EA is bad" is not a groundbreaking statement, but one that he held off on until the gaming community came to that collective conclusion.
    No, it's not "groundbreaking", but if you utilize the same logic, any critic would be a "coward" for saying that. And let's not forget he says the same, if not more, about Konami, Ubisoft, and Warner Brothers.

and I don't think his viewers will ever know how he TRULY feels about certain topics.
    Don't you later go on to say that he's "one of the loudest critics"? I mean, this kinda contradicts his persona...

There are certain topics and people *cough cough* that he'll never criticize even when they damn well deserve it, and attacks other people who fall out of line.
    Please go on, I honestly don't know who/what you're referring to.

The Niero incident
    I attempted to Google this, and nothing came up - what happened?

and the way he's treated Total Biscuit for the last two years is the perfect example of how he turns on friends who take an unpopular opinion.
    What? How has he turned on TB? I've seen him be nothing but respectful (for example, Jim's video on Overwatch's loot boxes), and I recall TB saying that Jim's welcome on the podcast... not to mention he's been on the podcast three times already.

He was one of the loudest critics when gaming sites began considering adding disclosures to their articles where appropriate, only to about face once it started becoming the norm.
    Do you have a source on this? I can only say that for as long as I've been aware, he's been very open about disclosures.

He says what you want to hear, and that's why people who only see him at a surface level like him.
    Like Boglin Watch 2016? Or him putting Pogs into a plastic vagina? In regards to topics, he's talked about being against Overwatch microtransactions, "How to sell games without being a lying dick", Indie Generosity, Emulators, Bayonetta's "Sexiness", game difficulty, and many other things that aren't either "what we want to hear", nor "anti-consumer".

I pay no attention to him, he annoys me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    his incessant complaining and overwhelming negativity bears an uncanny resemblance to Darksydephil. I mean he never says anything positive about a game as I've observed for a long time unless it's some pretentious walking simulator like Gone Home.
    I actually appreciate that kind of bluntness as many reviewers try too hard to find nonexistent redeeming qualities about products so they don't get sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Can you prove anything he has said to be wrong using facts and not a opinion?

He has some opinions I disagree with but overall he hasn't said anything wrong ether. So you have to go into detail on why you dislike him.

You can't just go I dislike X and won't say why.
    actualy you CAN dislike someone without having to go into reasons why. dislike is an emotional response. its not the same as calling someone, say a liar just because you dislike them, because NOW you have to provide examples of them actualy lying.

now, I can't believe I actualy agree with Tsunagi on anything (and this agreement is before I read their reasons), but I personally dislike Jim Sterling AND disagree with most of his opinions. I don't really relate to why people like him, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2016-09-25 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    but I personally dislike Jim Sterling AND disagree with most of his opinions.
    Dare I ask what opinions these are? From my perspective, the opinions I can remember him having all seem very reasonable.

actualy you CAN dislike someone without having to go into reasons why.
    Ya you can you are correct. But if you don't provide reasons as to why then you just look childish.

Just like a kid who says they don't like X food with no reason given.

What are the opinions he has you disagree with?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    No, cuz he is Jim fucking Sterling son
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

7+ Year Old Account
    actualy you CAN dislike someone without having to go into reasons why. dislike is an emotional response. its not the same as calling someone, say a liar just because you dislike them, because NOW you have to provide examples of them actualy lying.

now, I can't believe I actualy agree with Tsunagi on anything (and this agreement is before I read their reasons), but I personally dislike Jim Sterling AND disagree with most of his opinions. I don't really relate to why people like him, but to each their own.
    correct but thats not a argument

i believe the world is going to end tomorrow? why? because i just feel it? proof? nope none, but i dont need to provide any...

yes people can like, dislike, or feel whatever they want, but to try and convince other people why their way is the right way you need reasons not just "cause i said so"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Ya you can you are correct. But if you don't provide reasons as to why then you just look childish.

Just like a kid who says they don't like X food with no reason given.

What are the opinions he has you disagree with?
    there is nothing childish about disliking something, especially food. because its personal opinion and perception. why do i dislike onions? becasue I hate the way they taste. it is a 100% valid reason for me, which may not at all apply to you, but that doesn't make my personal dislike any less valid.

again, you do not need to explain why you dislike something or someone. you only need to back up claims that you may make about that something or someone that go beyond "I don't like them"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Dare I ask what opinions these are? From my perspective, the opinions I can remember him having all seem very reasonable.
    I will admit, I haven't watched all of his opinions, in part because he annoys the crap out of me. but what I did see he basically tends to be hypercritical of the exact features that I personaly enjoy, all the while giving praise to games that I end up disliking (and no, not just becasue he liked it, some of the games he praised, I had no idea that he did, as I tried them on a recommendation of a friend). he may state reasons for his opinions, but I disagree both with those reasons and the way he states his opinions. his videos are an equivalent of nails on chalkboard for me. incidentally, I also disagree with majority of Yatzee's opinions (at this point, his reviews are basically: "the more he dislikes the game, the more likely I am to enjoy it" type of reviewer for me, but at least Yatzee IMO is actualy entertaining and funny.)
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2016-09-25 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is nothing childish about disliking something, especially food. because its personal opinion and perception. why do i dislike onions? becasue I hate the way they taste. it is a 100% valid reason for me, which may not at all apply to you, but that doesn't make my personal dislike any less valid.

again, you do not need to explain why you dislike something or someone. you only need to back up claims that you may make about that something or someone that go beyond "I don't like them"

- - - Updated - - -

I will admit, I haven't watched all of his opinions, in part because he annoys the crap out of me. but what I did see he basically tends to be hypercritical of the exact features that I personaly enjoy, all the while giving praise to games that I end up disliking (and no, not just becasue he liked it, some of the games he praised, I had no idea that he did, as I tried them on a recommendation of a friend). he may state reasons for his opinions, but I disagree both with those reasons and the way he states his opinions. his videos are an equivalent of nails on chalkboard for me. incidentally, I also disagree with majority of Yatzee's opinions (at this point, his reviews are basically: "the more he dislikes the game, the more likely I am to enjoy it" type of reviewer for me, but at least Yatzee IMO is actualy entertaining and funny.)
    I'd love to know these features you enjoy that he is hypocritical about.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I'd love to know these features you enjoy that he is hypocritical about.
    Hyper, no hypo.

And he's most critical about Konami, "zombie survival asset flips", games based purely on memes, "you bought the game for $60, but still have to pay for unlocks" and hype culture. None of these seem like "enjoyable features" to me, though I suppose "meme games" might seem hilarious for the first five minutes.

See this is where you are wrong.

Disliking something without providing a reason is infact childish. You don't like onions and your reason is because of there taste. If you dislike Jim you need to provide a reason why you don't like him. If you just go "I dislike him just cause" that makes you look and sound childish.

Also what things was he hypocritical about? See this is the part where you give details or you just come off childish.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also what things was he hypocritical about? See this is the part where you give details or you just come off childish.
    Again, *hyper*. As in "greatly dislikes (stuff which I like)". Though, as I mentioned above, the things Jim is bashing the most aren't exactly something you'd enjoy anyway.

Not a fan of the guy. But to each his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Again, *hyper*. As in "greatly dislikes (stuff which I like)". Though, as I mentioned above, the things Jim is bashing the most aren't exactly something you'd enjoy anyway.
    Aye I must have misread. Then I'd like to know what he's hypercritical of that he enjoys.

10+ Year Old Account

Disliking something without providing a reason is infact childish. You don't like onions and your reason is because of there taste. If you dislike Jim you need to provide a reason why you don't like him. If you just go "I dislike him just cause" that makes you look and sound childish.

Asking why someone dislikes something is the same as asking why someone likes something. It's easier to pinpoint the negative than it is to pinpoint positives but like / dislikes are all emotional based and in general irrational, and irrational things are hardly easy to explain when you want to go into the nitty gritty. It's easy to say I dislike _____ for reasons, but going to the nitty gritty becomes awkward and complicated. Ask the same reason why you like pizza (provided you do), and coming up with a simple answer like "taste" is easy, now go more into it.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-09-25 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Asking why someone dislikes something is the same as asking why someone likes something. It's easier to pinpoint the negative than it is to pinpoint positives but like / dislikes are all emotional based and in general irrational, and irrational things are hardly easy to explain when you want to go into the nitty gritty. It's easy to say I dislike _____ for reasons, but going to the nitty gritty becomes awkward and complicated. Ask the same reason why you like pizza (provided you do), and coming up with a simple answer like "taste" is easy, now go more into it.
    My point being disliking something just to dislike it is childish. If you don't like chocolate you have some type of reason may it be small or big on why you don't like it.

But to just go "I don't like it just cause" is childish.

I don't like chicken chow mein because it taste bad to me. A person can be indifferent and give no fucks ether way. But to just go "I Don't like it" with out a reason behind it like I said is childish.

Also why is this thread even open? We all knew how this would turn out right from the OP calling Jim a SJW.

hypercritical is not hypocritical. two different words. hypercritical - extremely, very strongly critical. from the word hyper. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypercritical
    vs hypocritical http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypocritical .

you know, I do misspell words sometimes, but its like you people are only seeing what you want to see here. becasue in this case, I very specifically spelled the word I meant - correctly.

another synonym. nitpicky. I personaly found his complains to be incredibly nitpicky and negative.

and again, just like I don't need to explain WHY i don't like the taste of onions, I just don't - I don't have to explain why Jim Sterling and his videos irritate me, becasue I'm not making claims about his trustworthiness etc, only that I dislike him and disagree with his opinions. notice that disagree =/= think he is lying or whatever else. it means not sharing in the opinion. you can call it childish all you want, I happen to think that calling someone childish for disliking something you like - is in itself, childish.

P.S. I have stopped watching his videos a while ago, and if I accidentally click on them nowadays? its becasue they are linked form elsewhere and not specifically marked as Jim sterling video. I'm also not trying to convince anyone to dislike him or stop watching his videos, I never have and I challenge you to find a single post where I said anything like "you should stop watching it too and should also think he sucks. in fact, I specifically said to each their own. all I did was state that one doesn't have to explain why they dislike something to dislike it, and that I also happen to dislike him.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2016-09-25 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh even if I hadn't misread the question would still be the same. What feature is he hypercritical about that you enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Tbh even if I hadn't misread the question would still be the same. What feature is he hypercritical about that you enjoy?
    Does it matter? What follows will be a discussion about the merit to the hypercriticality and it will be an endless loop. Someone doesn't like. That's taste. Like not liking a painting, or in my case, the entire genre of modern art. I think modern art is trash and mostly shows a complete lack of skills and talent. Others call it seeing into the deepest blue corner of the mind. We don't see eye to eye, but I won't go out of my way looking for a fight with them.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Does it matter? What follows will be a discussion about the merit to the hypercriticality and it will be an endless loop. Someone doesn't like. That's taste. Like not liking a painting, or in my case, the entire genre of modern art. I think modern art is trash and mostly shows a complete lack of skills and talent. Others call it seeing into the deepest blue corner of the mind. We don't see eye to eye, but I won't go out of my way looking for a fight with them.
    Sure, opinions are opinions but it is kind of interesting to know which thing in particular was so important.

Things Jim complains the most about aren't exactly something people typically look for in video games. I mean, yeah, someone might be excited for yet another first person zombie survival Unity game. Or waiting for Konami to turn another one of their franchises into pachinko machine, because "erotic violence". Or gaming media giving multiple awards to games which no one even played yet. Or a game which is solely based on some random meme and nothing else. Or a "game" where it's some clowns making a horrible movie, combining it with shitty Unity asset flip and putting in on Greenlight. Or Digital Homicide.

I would expect that being hypercritical about such stuff is a good thing. I can see his "SJW" aspect, dildos, pogs or weird brand of humor being considered a reason to drop his show, but not these things.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2016-09-26 at 10:30 AM.