Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Listrata View Post
    On the southwestern side of the county and slightly higher ground here. Once winds hit 40mph here, the city shuts down. Cars have been flipped off the bridges in tropical storms so no travel at that point. It will be interesting to see how things go but we have very large retention ponds (man made storm water ponds) so flooding should be managed well enough. Will update if it actually impacts us.
    Ah well good. Flooding is where the real trouble hits. You can't move food and supplies around and it's tough to get in place to repair infrastructure (I.E. the electric system).

I hope all goes well. Keep us posted!!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenick View Post
    I'm flying from Atlanta to Tampa late Thursday night. Hoping that florida west coast isn't hit too bad
    Hurricanes have a funny thing they do to the weather around them. If your just outside of it your weather will be perfect. Clear blue skies, light breeze and about mid 70s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurricanes have a funny thing they do to the weather around them. If your just outside of it your weather will be perfect. Clear blue skies, light breeze and about mid 70s.
    I stay right along the east coast, it hasn't been this bright in sunny in awhile. Partly cloudy but not the usually rain clouds that you see in the afternoon. Its going to hell tonight though. Everyone is boarded up in my city, generators are mostly sold out, water was sold out this morning. The last major storm we had was back in 2004 where we got hit by 4 storms pretty much back to back. People aren't messing around.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenick View Post
    I'm flying from Atlanta to Tampa late Thursday night. Hoping that florida west coast isn't hit too bad
    I know jack all about flights but do you don't think the flight will be delayed?

Storm will be around Central Florida Thursday-Fri morning unless it slows down even more, which would only make it stronger. Its going to be a cat 3-4 regardless. The only good thing is that the eye wall won't make landfall.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Oak Island NC resident here. Not much has changed around here. Still unsure of impact as models started showing it turn away.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's stuff like this that probably creates athiests.
    No, no, it's all part of god's plan! He works in mysterious ways, don't you know? So we can't fault him for throwing a huge hurricane at an already poor and destroyed country. He obviously has a good reason to do it, and our feeble human minds cannot comprehend it.

STOP QUESTIONING GOD AND KNOW YOUR PLACE, PEASANT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    They used to get feminine names. The joke used to be, "why are hurricanes named after girls?"

. . . 'cause if they were named after boys, they'd be himacanes!

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all night. No guarantees for Thursday.
    They've always alternated, making your bad joke even worse. :-p
    I mean, Andrew and Hugo were pretty damaging storms.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Hurricane Matthew...
    And yet, all I see is a skull... :<
    How October appropriate...
    Now the issue is that I can't get Reaper's voice from Overwatch out of my head.

"DIE, DIE, DIE!!"
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know a guy in the Bahamas currently getting buttfucked by the hurricane.

Rip.

Yeah, I'm in Broward County and it's the best weather we've had in a couple weeks. If the storm hits north of us and the bands play right, it shouldn't go too bad. Everyone is still in a panic of course, but I'm generally of the "do what you can, then don't worry about it" persuasion. Gas stations are running empty, everyones buying up water, et cetera.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the first storm in nearly 15 years that has my family worried. I'm trying not to stress out to much about it as my health cant handle it. Its going to be a fun few days though. Being in Florida without power is a little to close to hell for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheperd View Post
    This is the first storm in nearly 15 years that has my family worried. I'm trying not to stress out to much about it as my health cant handle it. Its going to be a fun few days though. Being in Florida without power is a little to close to hell for my liking.
    I forget what its like to not have power during/after a hurricane since it last happened in 2004 but about a year ago we got a new AC unit installed, middle of summer and it was a horrible half a day...

I don't live on the coast so I have always enjoyed hurricanes, the only thing that scares the shit out of me is the possible tornadoes that could spawn, going through Charley which was a Cat 3 by the time it hit me, we lost power for like 2 days, had to cook on the grill and all that fun stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    It wrecked Haiti.

Now it got its eyes on Northern FL, SC and NC.
    haiti is one of the poorest countries on the planet. they get destroyed when a magnitude 5 earthquake hits because they live in abject poverty. the states have a bit better building codes than haiti.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of my family lives near Charlotte, so I think they're far enough inland to be ok. I do know some people in Florida, so hoping they're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    Miami Hurricane Party!
    Huh. I've been a football fan for most of my life. I never really thought about why the University of Miami's team name is "Hurricanes". But now, I think it's a kind of morbid name.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much out of time to prepare here in Jacksonville. Went to the store Wednesday afternoon and the essentials like bread, water, Gatorade, charcoal, soups, ect. are gone. Friends and family saying the same thing around town at different stores. We will have gas shortages starting today I'm sure. Personally made sure we got two propane tanks to cook with. In 2004 our area had some folks without power for 2 weeks. Jacksonville has its own electric authority that is separate from the rest of the state. Hoping they are prepared to make it a shorter recovery if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    haiti is one of the poorest countries on the planet. they get destroyed when a magnitude 5 earthquake hits because they live in abject poverty. the states have a bit better building codes than haiti.
    Do Haitians build their houses of paper? Last time I remember, outside cities the majority of housing was still made of wood in the states.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Do Haitians build their houses of paper? Last time I remember, outside cities the majority of housing was still made of wood in the states.
    Florida in particular has one of the strictest building codes in the country. Yes most homes are wood structures but after hurricane Andrew they started doing things like strapping the roof with extra metal clips, sometimes down to the foundation. It's called hurricane ties/clips. Haitian use what few resources their island has left to build. They use concrete a lot but have no rebar to strengthen it. Mismangement of their resources has left their side of the island deforested.
    Last edited by Listrata; 2016-10-06 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's about time they honored my name with a hurricane.
    And it better be a good one brother. Wreak havoc Matthew!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    And it better be a good one brother. Wreak havoc Matthew!!!
    As one who lives right where this shitshow is supposed to be worst, I don't really find that funny.