Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrease View Post
    I see what you mean. Heat or energy is not created nor is it destroyed, rather, it can only be transferred. With a fan heatsink, it spins at a rate which it displaces the heat on top of the CPU, ensuring the heat from the CPU doesn't fry itself.

A liquid coolant system rather absorbs the heat from the CPU and transfers it into the radiator so that the liquid is cooled down. The heat from the radiator is then cooled from the fan on top of it. So instead of the heat forming on top of the CPU it forms at the radiator, correct?

Regardless, I don't regret getting a liquid cooling system, it's quiet and you're right, aesthetically nice. Though, I'm the type of person that likes to explore all options instead of just one.

For my next rig, I'm hearing mineral oil does wonders .
    Yep, you've got it all figured out right.

I love my liquid cooling setup mainly because it is quiet and looks super cool. It was definitely a 'treat myself' moment! Puget Systems sells a really cool kit to do the whole submerged PC in mineral oil inside a fish tank. Really cool and you could DIY for cheaper.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

For my next rig, I'm hearing mineral oil does wonders .
    Not really a good idea. It's certainly cool looking, and I have thought about building a media PC like this and putting it beneath my TV, just for the wow factor and conversation piece. However, it is really not as effective at cooling as even a good air cooler, much less a good custom loop water cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    Puget Systems sells a really cool kit to do the whole submerged PC in mineral oil inside a fish tank. Really cool and you could DIY for cheaper.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
    As that link says:

1. What's the point of this project? Crazy overclocking?

Answer: The custom mineral oil pc project has always been intended as a cool conversation piece, and a fun do-it-yourself project. While there are certainly some thermal advantages, submersion cooling is usually not the best solution for overclocking. Due to the risk of tank failure if the oil reaches temperatures above 50C, we do not recommend submerging overclocked or extremely hot hardware in this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not really a good idea. It's certainly cool looking, and I have thought about building a media PC like this and putting it beneath my TV, just for the wow factor and conversation piece. However, it is really not as effective at cooling as even a good air cooler, much less a good custom loop water cooler.
    Interesting. Though it has me thinking, and this is probably a dumb question so I do apologize in advance, but would it be possible to feed mineral oil through a liquid coolant system? It sounds less than ideal because you would more than likely need to build custom parts for this, but if you had a way of pumping mineral through the liquid coolant system, and this is hypothetical, it should completely displace the heat from your entire rig, right?

Also, this had me laughing:

Dood! Put fishez in ur tank!!!1

Answer: No. They would die.

OK. No fish, but how about C:\HORSES ?

Answer: lol

would it be possible to feed mineral oil through a liquid coolant system?
    You wouldn't want to do this. Water and the other various coolants sold for the purpose of liquid cooling work better. Mineral Oil spreads the heat throughout itself very quickly, meaning all the mineral oil is pretty much the same temperature. With water and other coolants, the heat does not spread as quickly, therefore the heat is immediately carried away from the CPU by the pump and replaced with cooler liquid. With Mineral Oil, once it reaches the temp it is going to reach, it will be that temp right on top of your CPU instead of the hot liquid constantly being replaced by cool liquid. The reason it works in a tank is the sheer volume of mineral oil. That heat is spread over a much larger area. Even at that though, once it reaches a certain temp, it's not doing much good anymore, and you'll reach that point much quicker in a liquid cooling system.

I would personally go with a Custom WC loop, That would give you the option of being able to add other components to the WC loop if you want to add a 2nd or 3rd GPU or the DDR4 Ram modules.

You can get Monoblocks from EK that encompass the CPU/ICH and Power VRM chips as one unit instead of Individual Water blocks if you desire.

As for liquid, I would recommend Mayhams Distilled water and their Biocide water additives to help prevent Algae etc, The Premixed stuff is convenient and nice but the colouring can difficult to clean out. You can get coloured tubes instead.

If you need professional advice guides visit Overclockers.net forum they have a huge following and all are willing to help and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtolife View Post
    I would personally go with a Custom WC loop, That would give you the option of being able to add other components to the WC loop if you want to add a 2nd or 3rd GPU or the DDR4 Ram modules.

You can get Monoblocks from EK that encompass the CPU/ICH and Power VRM chips as one unit instead of Individual Water blocks if you desire.

As for liquid, I would recommend Mayhams Distilled water and their Biocide water additives to help prevent Algae etc, The Premixed stuff is convenient and nice but the colouring can difficult to clean out. You can get coloured tubes instead.

If you need professional advice guides visit Overclockers.net forum they have a huge following and all are willing to help and advise.
    Speaking of masochism, I'd rather flog myself than do all that. Algae? Mayhems Distilled Water? Biocide? No man, thanks.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.