Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    "advice and consent" Was the job they failed to do which I already answered. Do you just refuse to admit you're wrong or are you really this dense?
    I am reasonably certain that they've shown their level of 'consent' by abjectly refusing to even hear the nominee. While reasonable people (not you of course) can disagree on whether that qualifies. The committee has spoken. Dont like it what are you REALLY going to do about it, besides shed a few tears and pound your keyboard.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    How did Obama treat the Republicans then? Obama got allot of shit during his first 4 years for trying to work with Republicans and he got more shit during his 2e term for being naive thinking that Republicans would finally do something.

It's not called the Do Nothing Congress because Democrats have had a majority and started to use the filibuser even on their own legislation....
    Maybe stop voting for a president in opposition with the Congress?

But I'm just here having popcorn and waiting to see what you do next.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Maybe stop voting for a president in opposition with the Congress?

But I'm just here having popcorn and waiting to see what you do next.
    Uhm what kind of argument is that?

Don't blame the assholes for doing nothing, blame the guy for trying to do something.

15+ Year Old Account

Don't blame the assholes for doing nothing, blame the guy for trying to do something.
    Yep, blame the guy for trying to do something, if he hadn´t done that then the assholes wouldn´t have needed to do nothing, duh!

THANKS OBAMA!
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2016-10-18 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted

First, I don't blame anyone, it's not my country and it's not for me to judge.

I am just wondering which were the expectation of what would happen when Congress thinks one way and the President is in opposition.
    Who would bend? Who breaks?

That is just what puzzles me, what did people expect out of that situation.

McCain just wants to give Republicans one less reason to vote for Trump, some Republicans feel the only way to block Democrats from stacking the Supreme Court is by electing a Republican president.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am just wondering which were the expectation of what would happen when Congress thinks one way and the President is in opposition.

People expect the other party to cave to them and are outraged when the other party does the things the other party stated they would do.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account

Historically less gets done, but better things get passed. Fewer pet projects of a specific party get through, while larger, more generally agreeable legislation gets passed. That's usually how it works. When you have Congress and the President of the same party, you'll often get a lot of bullshit that half the country doesn't want get passed because the winners don't have to care about the other side's opinion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonderful precedent we're setting here, McCain. Just what in the fuck do you think the Democrats are going to do the next time a Republican President is elected?
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    When Obama was just beginning to look at resumes for appointments (not really how its done, but just sayin it) the GOP began this bull of wanting to block any nominee, even this guy who is basically a moderate (Garland I think his name is) And eventually the GOP said they wanted to wait for the next president because will of the people or some horse crap.

Now they are saying they will drag it out for 4 years..... because reasons.

Fuck um.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Wonderful precedent we're setting here, McCain. Just what in the fuck do you think the Democrats are going to do the next time a Republican President is elected?
    If the GOP even survives the next decade, lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    People expect the other party to cave to them and are outraged when the other party does the things the other party stated they would do.
    Hmm... really? I would expect them to work together and get things done, though even if they have the congress and president.

Still that´s only treating the symptoms of a fucked up voting system. I mean it´s neither representative nor democratic, i don´t know what to call that abomination the US uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Historically less gets done, but better things get passed. Fewer pet projects of a specific party get through, while larger, more generally agreeable legislation gets passed. That's usually how it works. When you have Congress and the President of the same party, you'll often get a lot of bullshit that half the country doesn't want get passed because the winners don't have to care about the other side's opinion.
    I totally agree, I like bicameralism for example because sometime allows these double sanity checks.

I just think it was naive to think that such an important seat would have been just handed over like that, or Obamacare would have passed without modifications, or any of the other strange things I've read that americans expected to happen with a Democrat president and Republicans in charge.

McCain walks back pledge to block Clinton Supreme Court nominee

Sen. John McCain is quickly walking back his statement that Republicans would automatically oppose any potential Supreme Court nominee from Hillary Clinton.
    Rachael Dean, a spokeswoman for the GOP senator, said that while McCain "believes you can only judge people by their record" and the Democratic presidential nominee "has a clear record of supporting liberal judicial nominees,” the Arizona senator would consider any Supreme Court pick sent to the chamber.

"Senator McCain will, of course, thoroughly examine the record of any Supreme Court nominee put before the Senate and vote for or against that individual based on their qualifications as he has done throughout his career," she said.

----------------------

That was quick.
    It's just as well. The obstructionist view doesn't really suit McCain. He's always had that "tough but fair" schtick going for him.

Skroe, i will again please beg you not to compare us who supported Bernie to the Dumpsters. We never campaigned on the side of hatred, and the vast vast majority that are true Bernie supporters have shifted no-problem to Hillary as she is the closest candidate towards his ideals. If people were just voting Bernie cuz "outsider!! blah blah" than they were not actual Bernie supporters, but worthless trolls looking any way to burn their own city under their own feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Netscape View Post
    If the Clinton nominee is legitimately garbage and won't respect the Bill of Rights in their entirety, then good. If they're doing it for the sake of being obstructionist, then forget them.
    McCain's statements currently mean that it doesnmatter who she picks. The only qualifier is that it is hiliary nominating them.

Pretty sad as McCain is one of the few republicans I actually like.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Basically the matra of the GOP over the past 8 years and apparently continuing on moving forward is, "If we don't get our way we'll throw a temper tantrum and prevent anything from getting done!"

Stellar leadership there.
    This is what your Founding Fathers wanted - paralyzed, dysfunctional governance system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it a conspiracy if I believe Hilldog and Trump are good friends and she convinced Donald to help her win the presidency?

That's what this is starting to look like. I fell like Dumpster boy is deliberately trying to sink his campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Is it a conspiracy if I believe Hilldog and Trump are good friends and she convinced Donald to help her win the presidency?

That's what this is starting to look like. I fell like Dumpster boy is deliberately trying to sink his campaign.
    Nonsense! Look at these bitter enemies!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Nonsense! Look at these bitter enemies!
    You can clearly see the hatred in their eyes. Look out world, these canidates could kill one another!