Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynara View Post
    i drink 2-3 in mostly rice milk or fruit juice over the day
    You drink 2-3 litres of fruit juice and/or rice milk each day??

If so, you need to seriously consider cutting back on that:

A litre of rice milk is roughly 470 KCal.
    A litre of fruit juice is, depending on the fruit, is around the 560 KCal mark and typically a lot more sugar than the rice milk.

That's, at a minimum, 940 (2L of rice milk) extra calories you're ingesting during the day and at most, 1680 (3L of fruit juice). Even if you eat like a small bird, the sugars in the fruit juice are not good for you in the long run at that amount.

Youll feel sick long before drinking enough water to kill you. Not drinking enough water and cause kidney stones. The amountof juice you drink is the reason you feel thirsty, sugary drinks make you thristy, does not stop your thrist. Drop the juice and drink tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Youll feel sick long before drinking enough water to kill you. Not drinking enough water and cause kidney stones. The amountof juice you drink is the reason you feel thirsty, sugary drinks make you thristy, does not stop your thrist. Drop the juice and drink tap water.
    tap water is not so easy to drink here, very polluted

as a general rule if you're feeling thirsty, you aren't drinking enough water. Thirst is literally your body telling you 'hey dumbass I need more water.'

definitely drink more water alongside your milk/juice, though

tap water is not so easy to drink here, very polluted
    How do you guys even drink water then? Certainly you can boil it or bottled water. Both still cheaper than juice and will actually stop your thirst.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    rice milk or some fruit juice mostly
    So you drink sugar, and that makes you want to drink more. Stop drinking that behind a computer. Drink water.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I do drink more than 2 liters of water/fluids a day. Probably in the 3 liter range. No soda tho, and no more than 300ml of milk and 300ml of fruit juice, which I know is quite a bit.

But I also do run 3x 5km a week and go to them gym twice a week and walk at least 2 to 2.5 hours a day. (I walk to work and home) I also try to bike/hike/play basketball once every weekend for a couple of hours, and I am 6'1 and 190lbs.

So I have no idea why people insist on the whole 2 liters thing. Someone 5'8 and 165lbs really shouldn't be having the same fluid intake as I am...unless they actually doing even more exercise...like marathon running or crossfit or something.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys completely forget where this comes from:

In the past, people either had to drink bacteria contaminated water or stuff that was sterilized. That is everything that was boiled (coffee, tea) or alcoholic stuff, depending on your income. Pure water just made you sick.

However, drinking more than your thirst is indeed not advisable if you drink beer all day long.

I drink like 6-8 bottles of water a day, depending on exercise and what I eat. Especially in the evening long after linner and I haven't eaten anything for 8+ hours.

Obviously drinking sugary drinks is bad for you though OP. Try to only drink a single cup unless it's a really special occasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You need to drink around 2L per day anyway, regardless of whether you're thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Why are you drinking when you AREN'T thirsty. I never drink until I'm so thirsty that my tongue swells up.
    For what purpose?

On the one side if you drink too much water you can flush out all your electrolytes and that can cause all kinds of problems. On the other hand if you don't drink enough water you can develop kidney and bladder stones which are no fun.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?
    Well, you can drink too much and drown but you have to drink ALOT. I drink when I am thirsty or if you urine is too dark.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?
    The recommendation isn't that you should only drink when you feel "really thirsty", but simply to only drink when you feel thirsty. This recommendation came out because of the myth that you need to ingest at least 8 cups of water a day and got people drinking more than they really needed to. As long as your body is functioning nominally, thirst works just fine as an indicator as to when and how much to drink.

There is really not much harm in drinking more water unless you get to very high levels (several liters in a short period of time without urinating...which is how a woman in California died participating in a competition - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/n...nking-contest/).

As others have mentioned, drinking a bunch of empty calories (i.e. sugared drinks) with little activity is not a good thing. The vast majority of people have no real reason to drink things like Gatorade (even if they go to the gym for 30 minutes to an hour), and even fruit juices are not something you should drink in large quantities (can be as high as sugared sodas for calories).

Hmm, what about diet soda?
    Artificial sugar is still sugar, I guess, and I've read that artificial sugar makes you more hungry, since you're basically fooling your body with that stuff.

I usually drink diet soda, but keep a bottle of water near the computer just to have something more healthy to dehydrate myself with :P

Wasn't it said, if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated? We'd never win a desert conflict, if we waited until we were thirsty to drink. And no one would ever get drunk. fuck all the way off with your bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Diet soda is OK when it comes to calories, but it will make you wanna drink more and more.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    The recommendation isn't that you should only drink when you feel "really thirsty", but simply to only drink when you feel thirsty. This recommendation came out because of the myth that you need to ingest at least 8 cups of water a day and got people drinking more than they really needed to. As long as your body is functioning nominally, thirst works just fine as an indicator as to when and how much to drink.
    I was advised by my own doctor to drink atleast, or close to, 2L of fluids a day, so I really don't think its a myth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I was advised by my own doctor to drink atleast, or close to, 2L of fluids a day, so I really don't think its a myth.
    Did he inform you of how many fluid is in the form of food? Like when you eat a soup - it's a fluid. When you eat veggies/fruits - it's all fluid. Coffee/Tea - obviously too. In a normal day with a normal diet you don't really need to drink any extra fluids to meet the "daily requirement".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Drink only water, problem solved.
    /thread
    /10