Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2835758

Barry, an eight-year department veteran working in the 43rd Precinct, convinced her to drop the scissors, but she grabbed a wooden bat and lunged a “close distance of an amount of feet” across the narrow room at him, sources said.

“As she attempted to strike the sergeant, he fired two shots from his service revolver, striking her in the torso,” said Assistant Chief Larry Nikunen, the commanding officer of Patrol Borough Bronx.

Medics took the woman to Jacobi Hospital, where she died at 7:15 p.m.

It's unclear why he went for his gun.

Now the woman had mental issue was having an episode and was already known to the police. The cop had a taser and made no attempt to use it. Instead opting to shoot the mentally disturbed woman who they know has had past issues since they've gotten calls before.
    Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Black (of course) AND mentally ill? Nice combo there for the US cops, well done.

Next: "Police shoot and kill elderly tetraplegic in her bed, claim self defense".

Fuck yeah!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/tex...utee-shooting/

Actually kind of happened. Shot double amputee for trying to stab with a pen. Because apparently tasers are difficult.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    If a man cannot subdue a 66 year old woman with strength alone... should they really be an officer?
    Why should a police office have to risk their life needlessly to subdue someone attacking them with what the perceive to be lethal intent?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/tex...utee-shooting/

Actually kind of happened. Shot double amputee for trying to stab with a pen. Because apparently tasers are difficult.
    Because tasers always work...

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    a 66 yr old could still do damage with a bat, and i know officers need to protect themselved, but i doubt they could not have overpowered her, or yeah, use the taser.
    It is very easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and second guess what a police officer should and shouldn't have done to protect themselves from an aggressive and dangerous person.

Here is a video showing what happens when a black rights activist goes through actual police scenario training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

Enough said on this topic.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Why should a police office have to risk their life needlessly to subdue someone attacking them with what the perceive to be lethal intent?
    Because all officers should be like Walker Texas Ranger and know Karate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because all officers should be like Walker Texas Ranger and know Karate.
    When did the populace become villains in a fucking TV show?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    The mentality is America has gotten pretty fucked up when even the risk of some bruises by a 66-year-old woman is enough to justify killing her for some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tonight on Walker taxes ranger, Chuck Noris evades a mutated grandma's lethal strike, as she screams 'I'll get your little dog too'...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

"Cop shoots a 66 y/o black lady, even though the lady could've harmed the cops majorly".

BLM: OMG! THE COPS HAVE SHOT A BLACK! BLACK LIVES MATTA.....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Me: *Facepalm* She has a bat, and could've done damage to a cop. Just because she's black and old, doesn't mean she won't arm authority. It's called self defense. However, I will agree on one thing, they should've tased her. However, we need less idiots these days...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    The mentality is America has gotten pretty fucked up when even the risk of some bruises by a 66-year-old woman is enough to justify killing her for some people.
    Well, half of the time, bats do cause knock outs, as well as broken bones. Idc what people say, she attacked. And sure, even though she could've gotten tased, she fucked up by attack the law.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now that you say that, they don't always work. If the person was able to dodge it, or was strong enough to take it, then...you'll need a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    When did the populace become villains in a fucking TV show?
    When did you not get the point? It was right away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    "Cop shoots a 66 y/o black lady, even though the lady could've harmed the cops majorly".

BLM: OMG! THE COPS HAVE SHOT A BLACK! BLACK LIVES MATTA.....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Me: *Facepalm* She has a bat, and could've done damage to a cop. Just because she's black and old, doesn't mean she won't arm authority. It's called self defense. However, I will agree on one thing, they should've tased her. However, we need less idiots these days...
    This makes no sense, if you agree with BLM that lethal force should not have been used, what is your disagreement? That BLM is wrong and it is cops duty to shoot those they consider idiots?

No, most cops do not shoot grandmas with bats. Most cops do not shoot until they absolutely have to. Why do you hate cops so much, that you want everyone to think all cops do this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, half of the time, bats do cause knock outs, as well as broken bones. Idc what people say, she attacked. And sure, even though she could've gotten tased, she fucked up by attack the law.
    My problem is that I still fail to see how that justifies killing someone. If your officers can't handle any threats without deadly force they need better training, but hell that doesn't even seem the problem, it's that they just don't bother trying anything other than deadly force. If the cop had tried to take the bat but couldn't for whatever reason that would be far more justifiable than just shooting at the first sign of aggression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we'd never know unless it's actually used. Should just stop carrying them if we're just going to keep going "They don't always work" whenever these topics come up. Like seriously, it's an extremely effective weapon that was invented for a reason, you might as well try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did you not get the point? It was right away.
    What do you mean your point was right away? That doesn't make any sense...

Walker Texas ranger fights fictional villains, not general public. A police officer does not need to concern them selfs with having the fighting acumen of Chuck Norris, because general public is not Bruce Lee and Ninjas...

Well, now that you say that, they don't always work. If the person was able to dodge it, or was strong enough to take it, then...you'll need a gun...
    It's probably a really bad idea too, to shot electricity into someone coming into contact with you.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean your point was right away? That doesn't make any sense...

Walker Texas ranger fights fictional villains, not general public. A police officer does not need to concern them selfs with having the fighting acumen of Chuck Norris, because general public is not Bruce Lee and Ninjas...
    My point was that people assume a cop can easily subdue a violent person intent on hurting them with fisty cuffs. Most of you kids think TV is real world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Well we'd never know unless it's actually used. Should just stop carrying them if we're just going to keep going "They don't always work" whenever these topics come up. Like seriously, it's an extremely effective weapon that was invented for a reason, you might as well try it out.
    Well its a good thing this woman got lucky.

Female officer shot and killed knife-wielding man after taser failed

This makes no sense, if you agree with BLM that lethal force should not have been used, what is your disagreement? That BLM is wrong and it is cops duty to shoot those they consider idiots?

No, most cops do not shoot grandmas with bats. Most cops do not shoot until they absolutely have to. Why do you hate cops so much, that you want everyone to think all cops do this?
    let me make this more clear. If the woman was to attack, and the cops pulled out the tasers, missed their shots, then yes...a gun would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    We did discuse mentaly ill as "not be as malicious" = not responsible for his actions becuse of illnes, sure the worst criminals have mental problem but few are so ill as ther illnes absolves them.
    Say we have a sweet dog like old yeller. He gets rabies and is now a dangerous animal. You don't let him bites people just because it is a disease making him do it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Because you get backlash like this.

Now let me ask you a question: Why should a police officer's first instinct be "fire my gun", as opposed to "use non-lethal force"?

Quote Originally Posted by waitwutt View Post
    ive never known a security guard who was attacked by anyone who didn't pull out their weapon. insurance companies that security agencies typically use would have to pay out more in life insurance and disability if the agent dies or perm injured. idk what agency youre working for but its not the norm. unless they didn't give you a gun to use which is more likely since most security guards don't have guns.

and don't try to convince anyone that security guards are all trained as krav maga masters able to take down any and all situations without lethal force.. cause they aren't. guards are there to call police if the see anything bad happening.
    I live in the UK. Most of our officers don't carry anything more than tasers, let alone giving a security guard a gun. More to the point, perpetrators don't carry anything more lethal than a bladed object, such as a knife. We also work in squads of between 2-5 people. And no, we're not "krav maga masters", nor did I say we were. I know I'm not, anyway. But we are all trained in basic self-defense for, as you mentioned, insurance purposes.