Page 68 of 86 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Basically, Russia might not like a no-fly zone, and might decide to wield their relatively puny armed forces against the USA, so Americans should shake in their boots that the relatively weak remnants of an enemy they crushed in the decades-long Cold War might ineffectually slap back.

Or something. The idea that Russia is anything close to the strength of the Soviet Union in its heyday is laughable. When the USA is arguably stronger than ever.

I might dislike that the USA spends so much on its military and involves itself so much overseas, but the idea that Russia is any kind of significant threat is pretty ridiculous.
    And you are advocating that the US provoke a conflict with Russia so we can help a bunch of Al Qaeda terrorists take over Syria. The 'moderate rebels' that we are helping are terrorists, Al Nusra is an offshoot of Al Qaeda. And your justification for this is what, that we need to stand up against Russia because how dare Russia bomb jihadists.

In the end, such a policy will at best only result in even more dead Syrians. I would suggest a better foreign policy is for the US government to stop using jihadists as part of its foreign policy.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    In order for Hillary to enforce a no fly zone she would have to actually shoot down things flying in it. This could possibly start a war. I don't know how you would enforce that and I'm pretty sure Hillary doesn't intend to.

The reality is Hillary won't just enforce a no fly zone day one of her presidency. And Russia won't just escalate to a nuclear war if we did. Chess game analogy.
    Actually not entirely true a no-fly zone can can be put in place and nations that don't obey can have sanctions put on them.

I'm not saying this is the strategy or even if it's a good one, but there are alternative ways of enforcing a no-fly zone, obviously some are more effective than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    And let's take a look at the Politifact third debate showdown. From what they've done so far:

Clinton:

17 US agencies say Russia is involved in hacking: True
    Illegal aliens built Trump Tower: True
    33,000 people die from guns each year: Mostly True
    Trump wanted to round up every illegal alien as recently as last week: Mostly True
    Disagrees with SCOTUS gun decision because of kids: Half True
    Trump called the Emmys rigged when he didn't win: Half True
    No Mostly False, False, or Pants on Fire statements.

Donald Trump

Heroin pouring over southern border: True
    No Mostly True statements.
    Clinton wanted the wall: Half True
    Clinton wanted open borders: Mostly False
    Clinton will raise/double your taxes: Mostly False
    I never mocked a disabled reporter: False
    Sexual assault claims on him debunked: False
    State Department under Clinton lost $6billion: Pants on Fire

Clinton: 66% Honest (True/Mostly True) 0% Dishonest (Mostly False or worse)
    Trump: 14% Honest, 71% Dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdatik View Post
    Did Trump just accuse Clinton of being the puppet when referring to Putin / Russia?
    hes referring to her as the puppet when it comes to literally every other country and corp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    Unfortunately, the same constitution that lead to the marriage equality decision should protect people from engaging in behavior in direct conflict with religious beliefs.

I'm sorry - that is just how it is.
    Having a gay customer doesn't conflict with any religion, so even if what you stated is true (it isn't) it still isn't applicable to discrimination. And your claim is clearly false given the limits already placed on religion by the law today.

Or do you think an Islamic business owner could refuse to hire or serve Christians?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Not when they're a giant asshole sociopath whose done nothing but bully people his entire life.
    you just described ALOT of diagnosed mentally handicapped people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And let's take a look at the Politifact third debate showdown. From what they've done so far:

Clinton:

17 US agencies say Russia is involved in hacking: True
    Illegal aliens built Trump Tower: True
    33,000 people die from guns each year: Mostly True
    Trump wanted to round up every illegal alien as recently as last week: Mostly True
    Disagrees with SCOTUS gun decision because of kids: Half True
    Trump called the Emmys rigged when he didn't win: Half True
    No Mostly False, False, or Pants on Fire statements.

Donald Trump

Heroin pouring over southern border: True
    No Mostly True statements.
    Clinton wanted the wall: Half True
    Clinton wanted open borders: Mostly False
    Clinton will raise/double your taxes: Mostly False
    I never mocked a disabled reporter: False
    Sexual assault claims on him debunked: False
    State Department under Clinton lost $6billion: Pants on Fire

Clinton: 66% Honest (True/Mostly True) 0% Dishonest (Mostly False or worse)
    Trump: 14% Honest, 71% Dishonest.
    lol I wonder how politifact would rate the claim that its unbiased.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ibility-his-p/

LMFAO

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Russia might not like a no-fly zone, and might decide to wield their relatively puny armed forces against the USA, so Americans should shake in their boots that the relatively weak remnants of an enemy they crushed in the decades-long Cold War might ineffectually slap back.

Or something. The idea that Russia is anything close to the strength of the Soviet Union in its heyday is laughable. When the USA is arguably stronger than ever.

I might dislike that the USA spends so much on its military and involves itself so much overseas, but the idea that Russia is any kind of significant threat is pretty ridiculous.
    Not to mention that, while Putin is a dictator, he is not a madman. He won't start a war over a shot plane, just like he didn't start a war against Turkey over that (and Turkey's might is nothing, compared to the US). Let alone nuclear war... It is not even clear whether Russian WMDs are still functional (the warheads have a rapid decay period, and there hasn't been much information on the maintenance done), and even if they are, Putin is not a suicidal maniac and won't use them against the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    In order for Hillary to enforce a no fly zone she would have to actually shoot down things flying in it. This could possibly start a war. I don't know how you would enforce that and I'm pretty sure Hillary doesn't intend to.

The reality is Hillary won't just enforce a no fly zone day one of her presidency. And Russia won't just escalate to a nuclear war if we did. Chess game analogy.
    That's another way to look at it. In any case, was between two superpowers don't start over nothing, there is always a veeeeery good reason for them to start. There was no war between Soviet Union and the US in all 74 years of USSR existence, even though for the majority of that period that countries were in the state of Cold War - and the relations between the countries were much, much worse than they are even nowadays. Nowadays Russia has just grabbed a few small pieces of land and is messing up the situation in one country. Back in USSR days, it supported communist regimes across half the globe...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    In case you weren't aware, there's a big difference between 'collateral damage' (which is already pretty shitty) and specifically targeting the civilian relatives of terrorists. There's a reason the latter is against the Geneva Conventions. Which, I know, Trump (and I suppose you?) is not a fan of, but he doesn't get to make that choice.
    The drone program is designed to allow for plausible deniability when it comes to killing the families of terrorists.

The most notable example of this was the assassination of Abduhlrahman al-Awlaki, a US citizen who was not involved in terrorism, and the son of Anwahr al-Awlaki.

Sorry but the Nobel Peace Prize winning president of ours is also an international war criminal, but then again all US presidents would be jailed in the Hague if the United States actually submitted to international law.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waitwutt View Post
    Anyone who claims Politifact is biased is free to challenge any of their results, which cite sources.

I'll throw out a softball, a Mostly False: Clinton will raise/double your taxes. Politifact called it "Mostly False" because her tax plan only increases the top rates, affecting around 1% of the population, and even so, does not double anyone's regardless of income level. Anyone want to show how they got that one wrong? Give it a try. Take your time.

7+ Year Old Account
    you just described ALOT of diagnosed mentally handicapped people

- - - Updated - - -

LMFAO
    Unbiased doesn't mean "Artificially balance true and not true statements." It is not biased to call liars out for being liars, and if one side lies more than the other, to call them out on that.

I'm not sure what your link is supposed to show. Trump has no fiduciary requirement to not pay income taxes. He is required by business practice to do what he can to make money, but nothing about personal finances:

That might have been a credible argument if he were referring to his companies’ tax returns. But the statement was in response to controversy surrounding Trump’s personal tax returns. Experts we contacted said there is no generally accepted fiduciary obligation keep one’s own taxes low.
    Tell me what is wrong about that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    hes referring to her as the puppet when it comes to literally every other country and corp
    What debate were you watching?

Trump talked about how "stupid America" is and how smart Putin is, where Hillary interjected and said "because you are a puppet". At this point Trump went with the ol' Peewee Herman, 'you are the one... you are the puppet'...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    But not equally awful. Who is worse, of course, depends on the issues you care about. I refuse to acknowledge attempts to make them falsely equivalent.
    youde have to look at who has done the most damage to the world. and the country. like someone who took away restrictions on banks loaning to people. then gets paid huge sums of money from those banks only to have what they did cause the market to crash in 08 and started conflicts in other countries. the person who was party to that did quite a bit of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    And you are advocating that the US provoke a conflict with Russia so we can help a bunch of Al Qaeda terrorists take over Syria.
    Wrong in two different ways;

1> Russia's the one provoking conflict, this would be a US response to that provocation.

2> The US-led coalition isn't supporting ISIS, they're attacking ISIS. Come on, at least keep your talking points somewhere in the general vicinity of reality.

The 'moderate rebels' that we are helping are terrorists, Al Nusra is an offshoot of Al Qaeda. And your justification for this is what, that we need to stand up against Russia because how dare Russia bomb jihadists.
    This is so completely untrue that it's galling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War

There's not two sides to the civil war in Syria. The USA's supporting the opposition forces, not Al Nusra.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Not to mention that, while Putin is a dictator, he is not a madman. He won't start a war over a shot plane, just like he didn't start a war against Turkey over that (and Turkey's might is nothing, compared to the US). Let alone nuclear war... It is not even clear whether Russian WMDs are still functional (the warheads have a rapid decay period, and there hasn't been much information on the maintenance done), and even if they are, Putin is not a suicidal maniac and won't use them against the US.
    He's a small man who desperately wants to be seen as a big man. Bowing down before his will without contesting it is exactly what he wants, but like you said, he's not stupid enough to think he could actually fight the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Clinton Foundation is probably her weakest point still imo.

I don't know enough about the alleged "pay to play" nonsense, since I've never seen an unbiased report on it, but I certainly don't believe Trump's characterization.
    the worst of them is the people who gave the most to the Clinton foundation who owned construction companies were givin the rebuilding Haiti contracts. they were paid millions only to build REALLY shitty housing.

10+ Year Old Account

LMFAO
    They explain it pretty clearly.... you know what I find funny? You putting up Trump saying he will do what ever he can to help him self, as long as it's within law, on the truth meter of fiduciary responsibility. Here I thought people would realize what putting a guy who will do what ever it takes to help him self within the law, in charge of law, makes no sense. Nope, it's how true his responsibility to the country is... that's LMFAO...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Wrong in two different ways;

1> Russia's the one provoking conflict, this would be a US response to that provocation.

2> The US-led coalition isn't supporting ISIS, they're attacking ISIS. Come on, at least keep your talking points somewhere in the general vicinity of reality.

This is so completely untrue that it's galling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War

There's not two sides to the civil war in Syria. The USA's supporting the opposition forces, not Al Nusra.

He's a small man who desperately wants to be seen as a big man. Bowing down before his will without contesting it is exactly what he wants, but like you said, he's not stupid enough to think he could actually fight the United States.
    Syria is russias ally. so hes helping them to not be overthrown. if Saudi Arabia was being attacked by rebels would we not help Saudi Arabia government?

10+ Year Old Account
    youde have to look at who has done the most damage to the world. and the country. like someone who took away restrictions on banks loaning to people. then gets paid huge sums of money from those banks only to have what they did cause the market to crash in 08 and started conflicts in other countries. the person who was party to that did quite a bit of damage.
    So...you are saying we should only judge a candidate based on...what their spouse did? Rather than what they say they will do or any other characteristics or metrics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Syria is russias ally. so hes helping them to not be overthrown. if Saudi Arabia was being attacked by rebels would we not help Saudi Arabia government?
    And the USA is and has been supporting the opposition government, against Assad.

If, in your hypothetical, the USA was launching air strikes against those rebels, and some significantly-more-powerful nation supporting those rebels said "yeah, cut that out, any more planes in the air and we'll take offense", then yes, the US should think long and hard about what they're doing, because breaking that no-fly zone will provoke a reaction they can't handle.

This is the issue; you folks keep acting like Russia's the same superpower that the Soviet Union once was, and it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Unbiased doesn't mean "Artificially balance true and not true statements." It is not biased to call liars out for being liars, and if one side lies more than the other, to call them out on that.

I'm not sure what your link is supposed to show. Trump has no fiduciary requirement to not pay income taxes. He is required by business practice to do what he can to make money, but nothing about personal finances:

Tell me what is wrong about that statement.
    fiduciary responsibility to his family and business not to pay more than is required so that the excess money can go towards building his business and family.

umm to not give the government more than the required amount? its not a legal responsibility but he would be throwing it away instead of helping his business or family. NO ONE is going to pay taxes if they aren't legally obligated to, when they can use that money to invest.

7+ Year Old Account
    fiduciary responsibility to his family and business not to pay more than is required so that the excess money can go towards building his business and family.

umm to not give the government more than the required amount? its not a legal responsibility but he would be throwing it away instead of helping his business or family. NO ONE is going to pay taxes if they aren't legally obligated to, when they can use that money to invest.
    So he's not legally required to give the government as little as possible with personal income tax, thanks for proving my point!