Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    What exactly is the point in looking at the salaries when the two places have wildly varying prices for various things?
    Data that includes PPP is already adjusted for this. Also, most indices for the relevant Western European nations show most costs in the United States being lower. Going to price indices isn't going to make this look better for people that are convinced there's a free lunch from working less.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Who's "you"? If it's Americans, no, we're paid significantly more than Europeans on average. If it's me personally, then it's really no.

Source? And does that include the 1%?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    The "1%" are barely relevant to the median. I suppose I should have said "median" rather than "average". There are a few ways to calculate this, but here's one example. Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, and Luxembourg are competitive - everyone else is noticeably behind. These few tiny countries are substantially outstripped by size-comparable states if we're cherry-picking the richest regions; when comparing to full scale nations like Germany and France, the United States is way ahead.

Here's median rather than average. I guess Sweden does well there too. Germany does OK, but is notably behind. None of the other big European countries crack the top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So Americans spend 25% more time working than Europeans? But are they also 25% more productive?
    In short no they are not, at least that is my personal experience working with americans over that last 10 years.
    Now I am dutch and work in shipping and it is a fact of life that we have to allow double the allotted time for loading & unloading container ships then it takes here in the EU's major ports this is mainly due to unions in US ports and the really messed up unions that are still in control there.
    We also have very strong unions here in Holland but they do realize one simple fact money must flow so shutting down a port serves nobody let alone the members of a union, a lesson not yet learned or better yet a lesson that US port unions refuse to learn.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Yes. It's that, and not that they'll be fired/disciplined/replaced if they relax. Or y'know, needing to work so much just to have anything approaching a decent quality of life.

Lol.
    Yeah we just live like peasants. Despite living in bigger houses, driving bigger cars, owning better phones, and buying more games than Europeans.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2016-10-23 at 10:24 PM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Sorry, linked the wrong link.
    Ment to link quality of life.
    https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...by_country.jsp

But ye, Nordic countries are always above the US, and the wiki article was one of them.
    But its okay, the US does not have to be on top of everything, you guys will always have the best standard for rich people! A shame it comes at the cost of the middle and lower classes, but a lot of countries have that problem.
    Another index, only this one doesn't really specify the metrics that go into it?

Keep shooting.

Sorry i'm a bit late. Lots of football to be watched and shit to be talked.

Edit: Another one with Cilmate. Well shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    You say this as if income inequality is only prevalent in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    "Ivory tower" would be academics thinking they're better than the rabble. Maybe "exceptionalism" suits that though better.
    Whatever the case may be, it's matched by American folks topping the chart of thinking they're at the top of every chart.
    Not like stereotypes offer much insight though, but I concurr with Spectral that these threads are indeed amusing.
    The shoe fits.

Most of what i'm describing come from Euro College Students.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    American's work longer hours than many places around the world. We have a very demanding/competitive work force.
    No you basiclly have moderated slavery.
    Any one who works more then 40h a week is slaving their life away.
    No matter for what you are working it is not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    No you basiclly have moderated slavery.
    Any one who works more then 40h a week is slaving their life away.
    No matter for what you are working it is not worth it.
    Says who?

10 Char.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    You say this as if income inequality is only prevalent in the US.

Only nation? No. The highest nation? Yes.

Obviously I'm not speaking for "all" of the U.S. here, but I do quite a bit of traveling for work across the country. In general I've found that "working" is seen as admirable here. There is a definitive sense of pride culturally in "working hard" that I've experienced across multiple regions of the country as well as socioeconomic groups. Not quite the "lazy American" stereotype most people are used to, but true in my experience none the less.

I'd wager that we get paid more, thus have to work less...on average I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Says who?

10 Char.
    The fact that the wealth distribution of the US is grossly biased towards the top 10% of the population... European middle class is the american upper, upper class...

Our work system is better than the US, and our minimum wage is better.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2016-10-24 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    I'd wager that we get paid more, thus have to work less...on average I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that the wealth distribution of the US is grossly biased towards the top 10% of the population... European middle class is the american upper, upper class...
    *Looks at Median Incomes*

Yeah, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Wow, what's that? You mean Europeans actually have a healthy outlook on work and life? Ha, what slackers, am I right?!

This is coming from someone from the US. Our work ethic is dangerous, stupid and unhealthy. And in large part it's enforced by the pathetic minimum wage and sharply rising cost of living. You either gather buddies and live together, or live with your parents, or hope that you have a degree worth a damn these days because otherwise it's straight to mcdonald's with your useless piece of paper and have fun with those 9-to-5 (if you're lucky) 50+ hour work weeks to barely be able to scrape by a seedy 1-room apartment, or not even that depending on where you live. America is an imploding mess of a country right now.

Currency worth is also a thing. And taxes. Price inflation, blah blah...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Currency worth is also a thing. And taxes.
    PPP is a thing. Economists aren't retarded.

Even if we were to take it by the exchange rate between dollars and the currency of each euro country (EU and non-EU), it doesn't even come close to supporting your claim.

PPP is a thing. Economists aren't retarded.

Even if we were to take it by exchange rate, it doesn't even come close to supporting your claim.
    Really? Why are there so many students with student loans out their asses, people with decent educations forced to work a grill 24/7 just to not starve, people working multiple jobs to get by, etc etc...we don't have that, not to US degree. Your work system and ethics are terribad. Don't even get me started on waiters/esses and mandatory tip and how it's utterly retarded and fucks people over.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Here's median rather than average. I guess Sweden does well there too. Germany does OK, but is notably behind. None of the other big European countries crack the top ten.
    Considering income inequality will obviously distort any averages, this source on the median is the only one worth using.

This is self-reported, pre-tax PPP-converted dollars. The tax component might be significant in particular.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, the US appears to be middle of the pack on income according to this source.

- - - Updated - - -

Economists aren't retarded.
    Debateable :P

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, how are you seeing income inequality from median incomes? The whole point of the median is to mask factors like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Money should NEVER be the measure of a person's life.
    Capitalism has deluded many into just that.

I've told my boss plenty of times that overtime is never worth it compared to leaving and trying to live for the rest of the day.
    He agrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Considering income inequality will obviously distort any averages, this source on the median is the only one worth using.

This is self-reported, pre-tax PPP-converted dollars. The tax component might be significant in particular.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, the US appears to be middle of the pack on income according to this source.

- - - Updated - - -

Debateable :P

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, how are you seeing income inequality from median incomes? The whole point of the median is to mask factors like that.
    Touche. I legit laughed.

I mean, we have "where to live" indexes" based on how many women are in currently in office. I'd like to meet the retard that parroted that in their thesis.

Touche. I legit laughed.

I mean, we have "where to live" indexes" based on how many women are in currently in office. I'd like to meet the retard that parroted that in their thesis.
    To be fair, those kinds of "liveability index" metrics have a lot of things in them and it's all pretty subjective.

I can see how having female representation in government is a factor, particularly if you are a woman. I mean, if you want to compare a third world country to a first world, opportunities for women are a pretty big separator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.