Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    No, this simply almost never happen. why would some one who doesn't even want to fight care about that in the first place. But to the point. again you are greatly mistaken. Flying makes no difference here either. its just as easy to ress and mount a ground mount and get away from the situation. It doesn't make any difference if its a flying mount. Bro... do you even think?

Just warning you a bit as well, all these old arguments against flying you bring up has already been killed and buried several times in this thread and elsewhere.
    World PvP does NOT ever get worse by flying. This simplified easy to believe answer stems from back when flying was introduced in BC and less PvP happened in the world. Some less intelligent players started blaming flying even tho it was clear that the real reason was arena and battlegrounds where PVP was rewarding.

These thing just can't happen now a days since faction balance of realm are almost never near even. On my realm group where alliance is very dominant. about 80% vs horde 20% I mostly feel sorry for the hordes who try to raid...

I clearly remember these gank fests raid vs raid that some times happened at rain entrances indeed. But I hardly call them pride or fun world PvP. They were usually just a result from a few gankers wanting to be assholes at the entrance forcing an entire raid out to stomp them then continues with their raid. There was no pride in it. only a few idiots who did something stupid for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

And after you killed my helpless healer that couldn't do anything about it. do you feel proud of your self. Have you accomplished something great? was it hard? are you strong now? or do you simply hope you made me annoyed or sad and you can feel "great joy" over that? sad to tell you I just /shrug, ress and move on with my business.

This kind of "world PvP" fill no purpose in the game, its just an excuse for losers to feel confident. Deal with it and move on.
    or better yet move to a pve realm

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeexbean View Post
    or better yet move to a pve realm

Guess you didn't notice, but in WoD when you joined into any crossrealm groups (pvp or pve), you were protected from getting flagged for pvp, unless you started to attack someone/turned on PvP. Now in Legion? You join a crossrealm group, if it's started/led from a PvP realm, sorry, you instantly get flagged for pvp. There is a 40 mill hp boss mob in the tower on the Isle of Watchers (Azsuna), joined into a group standing on top, got ported into their realm, where the horde were nuking alliance (I play on PvE realm, as alliance), I was nuked down in 3 sec. Great fun indeed! Nope.
    And don't think mouseovering on the group in the finder tool and doublechecking to make sure you're joining into PvE groups helps. Joined countless PvE adverted groups where I guess the leader left or whatever and BAM got pvp flagged.
    Interesting how only the most idiotic feature was left to stay "can't heal this guy, pvp is disabled". So yeah, pvp johnny joins your pve group on a pve realm, can't heal him because amg pvp flag, but getting forcedly flagged for pvp as pve player is suddenly okay. :/

Edit: actually, 2 ofthe most idiotic pvp feature was left in: when a PvP enabled player runs around on my pve realm, and I'm trying to quest, tab picks pvp guys ALWAYS up, as first target. I can't even attack them, because you need to manually enable pvp on a pve realm to be able attack them, but tabbing them all the time, that I can. #logic
    Last edited by Lei; 2016-10-27 at 08:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Bold emphasis mine.

So which is it?

The latter bolded point (instanced pvp) occurred while the former (flying mounts) was nothing more than maybe a pipe dream to some people.

One monkey wrench I can think of: Even after instanced pvp became a thing, you still had the skirmishes out in Hillsbrad, or at any of the raids. As others have hinted to, if you get people to congregate in areas of the world (something wow has done poorly, in recent years...pre-Legion the majority of continents and landspace were nothing more than leveling areas), somebody's gonna get a wild hair up their ass and pick a fight.

One common reply I've seen to that assertion, perhaps here and elsewhere: Well all those sorts of skirmishes occurred in vanilla only, pretty much. Heh...the amount of corpses I've seen (and used to help create) at the entrance of Firelands and below Naxx (WotLK) say otherwise. Course, anecdote is anecdote. /shrug

If instanced pvp combat wasn't so highly rewarded, maybe there would be world pvp. However, reward wpvp enough, and you have nothing but people camping flightpaths all day every day...zzz. I guess that's one way to encourage SSD sales, heh.
    Easiest way to break it down. In no particular order, or level of importance, PvP was killed by:

- HK farming in instances
    - CRZ phasing
    - substantial ilvl variances between top and bottom levels (i.e. - the dmg/HP difference between lvl 90 on Draenor and lvl 100 in Legion greens)
    - world flight introduced in Cata
    - anti-pvp toggle (even Blizz acknowledged not everyone wants to flag for PvP, even accidentally)

The death of world PvP is the result of something far more convenient than flight. That said, flight would neither improve it, nor harm it in its current iteration. As for flight itself, it's really not a deal breaker for those of us who enjoy the content, and recall what it was like to walk until lvl 40 anyway

Meh, world pvp is fine. I am ganking tons of people every day, mostly fuckers who steal my mobs during WQs, or just occasional blood elves. Sometimes they are kicking back. Sometimes we're gathering a group and go gank people on a free-for-all pvp zones during world quest. Sometimes we defend our towers - nothing grants more fun than a good old MC-to-abyss death drop, lol (if they got stuck on a hill, unreachable with their ghost, its even better! ).

A developer could easily make all the open world pvp areas unflyable. But we all know the truth, world pvp has nothing to do with flying/noflying debacle.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post

A developer could easily make all the open world pvp areas unflyable. But we all know the truth, world pvp has nothing to do with flying/noflying debacle.
    They did make a portion of Tanaan vendors with a no fly aura late in WoD, so yeah they can do it but it seems to be done only to disrupt players from doing exploits. But there is a lot of potential to be selective with no flying around certain NPCs areas instead of the lazy way of outright removal or restriction for half the expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    They did make a portion of Tanaan vendors with a no fly aura late in WoD, so yeah they can do it but it seems to be done only to disrupt players from doing exploits. But there is a lot of potential to be selective with no flying around certain NPCs areas instead of the lazy way of outright removal or restriction for half the expansion.
    That is what I am saying. They have the technology since WotLK where you got dismounted after flying too long in the air space of Wintergrasp. They have no-flying max level areas (while the rest of the world has flying onlocked) since BC (with different isles and quest areas like Molten Front). They had an aura in Telaar which pushed you back for a significant distance so you could not fly in that area (something they could have repeated easily with the energy shield above Suramar City). They have zone-specific explorer and loremaster achievements to use as markers for allowing flight in a zone or not. They can even dismount people around a very small area (NPCs). But they don't want to use their tools, though this would be the ideal solution for all problems - at least for me. Let me fly where it's not relevant if I am flying or not, and send me down with a parachute if it's relevant for me to be on the ground.

I would be fine with that, and probably many other pro-flyers as well. This would be a great way to show customer centricity. At the moment, devs are nothing more than self-absorbed divas who only get their way because so many people are strongly invested in their characters, their guilds and the world as such. They could not afford to behave that shitty in any other game. Look what happened to Wildstar.

The problem is that CRZ is making world PVP impossible.

Can't mount a counter raid or attack spawn camping flight points because of phasing. You can't choose which shard to go to like other MMOs. WoW devs force sharding technology onto playerbase but playerbase has no choice into which shard to go to.

So you can't help your faction, server member, or guild member with world PVP or to do world PVP because of the excessive sharding on the Broken Isles.

The dirty secret is that the Broken Isles excessive CRZ sharding is why they are trying to post pone flying as much as possible. But it is having the reverse effect in that it is causing players to interact less with even their guild members or players from their server/faction.

Strange methodology WoW devs have foisted upon a game to try to make no flying work on the Broken Isles. But it is obviously failing and it has massive implications moving forward.
    Completely forgot about the CRZ nonsense but yea that also killed most of the world pvp instantly. So i agree on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    That is what I am saying. They have the technology since WotLK where you got dismounted after flying too long in the air space of Wintergrasp. They have no-flying max level areas (while the rest of the world has flying onlocked) since BC (with different isles and quest areas like Molten Front). They had an aura in Telaar which pushed you back for a significant distance so you could not fly in that area (something they could have repeated easily with the energy shield above Suramar City). They have zone-specific explorer and loremaster achievements to use as markers for allowing flight in a zone or not. They can even dismount people around a very small area (NPCs). But they don't want to use their tools, though this would be the ideal solution for all problems - at least for me. Let me fly where it's not relevant if I am flying or not, and send me down with a parachute if it's relevant for me to be on the ground.

I would be fine with that, and probably many other pro-flyers as well. This would be a great way to show customer centricity. At the moment, devs are nothing more than self-absorbed divas who only get their way because so many people are strongly invested in their characters, their guilds and the world as such. They could not afford to behave that shitty in any other game. Look what happened to Wildstar.
    Could easily drop you into a glide instead of parachuting. Put the parachute "wall" far enough out to where you can't land on anything critical, so the precious ground design of the content isn't ruined. Hell, take it a step further and make it so that parachuting in is part of the theme for the zone: Air dropping into a hot combat area or something. Put some intense fake combat between NPCs in the sky above to make it look better.

There's plenty of options to make no-fly zones more palatable without dropping a no-fly blanket over the entire expansion for around a year.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post

The argument that has been made before is that WoW devs have tried all these ideas and they are not satisfied. I would argue that they give up easy, because the thrust of their focus on content is still instanced content. They don't see much replay value for the world content, which is why they didn't design the artifacts to be friendly to alts. Only after player outcry.

That is why flying in Legion is going to make the expansion a lot better for alts and those with professions stuck with massive RNG impeding their progress. The game is pretty much in standby mode till they add flying..an incomplete game as I have argued all along and so far I have been vindicated by what I am seeing, reading, and hearing from other current Legion players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    Completely forgot about the CRZ nonsense but yea that also killed most of the world pvp instantly. So i agree on that as well.
    The CRZ wasn't this bad in MoP or WoD as it is on the Broken Isles. They really are trying to create the illusion of a immersive MMORPG experience. But the heavy use of CRZ on Broken Isles is a concession or white flag waving that they can't deliver that knowing that most players are going to do their instanced content. This is because, that is where WoW devs choose to stick their carrots at. It was thought that legendaries would promote more world activity, but the higher drop rates for legendaries are found in instanced content (eg mythic +).

This is why they removed the portal to the class order halls and why they are forcing players to go through Dalaran...trying to recapture that central nexus gathering point that WotLK had of players congregating together. But I have pointed this out before in this flying thread and the previous one. Flying in WotLK was used to go from Dalaran back and forth to do dailies (eg Argent Crusade) or interact with the world as a gatherer as a miner or herbalist (I had both in WotLK). Or even go directly into a WG to do the dailies there as well while WG battle was on timer.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Could easily drop you into a glide instead of parachuting. Put the parachute "wall" far enough out to where you can't land on anything critical, so the precious ground design of the content isn't ruined. Hell, take it a step further and make it so that parachuting in is part of the theme for the zone: Air dropping into a hot combat area or something. Put some intense fake combat between NPCs in the sky above to make it look better.

There's plenty of options to make no-fly zones more palatable without dropping a no-fly blanket over the entire expansion for around a year.
    They've had things like this in the past with zones like TI, which people exploited to make it to certain areas that required you to be clever and think of how to access. For something like that they would have to put the wall so far out you would be getting dismounted while in the zone they allow you to fly in. It would literally have to be a parachute that drops you straight down like with Alcaz island; yet, the issue with that is combatting the "player stuck" issue and designing all areas from zone to zone have ways to get around and not be stuck in a crevasse or up on a mountain between ridges. Alcaz could combat that with the fact it's an island surrounded by water. There was also the issues with Twilight Highlands before it was brought into the game, where you were dismounted and issues were caused with player death from lag/CRZ lag during the fall before you got ported back into the Wetlands.
    I like the idea you have of the hotspot combat area, and would be cool cinematically and even in game the first few times before novelty wears off, but again, you have to take things like lag or CRZ/phasing lag issues into effect as well so players aren't killed before the parachute opens. Things like that will cause more player upset than the novelty of th approach to the zone. If these issues ever get resolved it would be a nice idea for zone transitions.

The best model was obviously WotLK followed by MoP/BC style with new areas being no flying while the rest the world had access to flying.

This new model effectively cuts the player base by half for half the expansion with no guarantee that those players will return.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    They've had things like this in the past with zones like TI, which people exploited to make it to certain areas that required you to be clever and think of how to access. For something like that they would have to put the wall so far out you would be getting dismounted while in the zone they allow you to fly in. It would literally have to be a parachute that drops you straight down like with Alcaz island; yet, the issue with that is combatting the "player stuck" issue and designing all areas from zone to zone have ways to get around and not be stuck in a crevasse or up on a mountain between ridges. Alcaz could combat that with the fact it's an island surrounded by water. There was also the issues with Twilight Highlands before it was brought into the game, where you were dismounted and issues were caused with player death from lag/CRZ lag during the fall before you got ported back into the Wetlands.
    I like the idea you have of the hotspot combat area, and would be cool cinematically and even in game the first few times before novelty wears off, but again, you have to take things like lag or CRZ/phasing lag issues into effect as well so players aren't killed before the parachute opens. Things like that will cause more player upset than the novelty of th approach to the zone. If these issues ever get resolved it would be a nice idea for zone transitions.
    And how is that any different than the claim that all the ground cliffs and mountains require you to be clever with abilities in Legion's terrain? You're sending mixed messages here. Or rather, a very clear message: It's ok to be clever with your abilities, right up until it doesn't fall into Blizzard's limited scope of how they want you to approach their content.

Basically, after all this time arguing about flight, I still feel that Blizzard simply doesn't want to be creative with their open world content. They really REALLY just want to stick to the same old formula. Things like Wotlk and cata, even if you didn't necessarily like them or if they were buggy, were still pushing the game forward. Blizzard was trying new things. Legion? Copy/paste. Copy/paste. Copy/paste.

Even things like world quests and mythic+ are just copied from Diablo 3. Where's the innovation? The creativity? THAT'S what's screwing up WoW's open world and making it dull, not flight.

And how is that any different than the claim that all the ground cliffs and mountains require you to be clever with abilities in Legion's terrain? You're sending mixed messages here. Or rather, a very clear message: It's ok to be clever with your abilities, right up until it doesn't fall into Blizzard's limited scope of how they want you to approach their content.

Basically, after all this time arguing about flight, I still feel that Blizzard simply doesn't want to be creative with their open world content. They really REALLY just want to stick to the same old formula. Things like Wotlk and cata, even if you didn't necessarily like them or if they were buggy, were still pushing the game forward. Blizzard was trying new things. Legion? Copy/paste. Copy/paste. Copy/paste.

Even things like world quests and mythic+ are just copied from Diablo 3. Where's the innovation? The creativity? THAT'S what's screwing up WoW's open world and making it dull, not flight.
    Being clever is not the same thing as exploiting mechanics and use of in game issues. You yourself stated having it be far out to not exploit, to which I countered with it would have to be so far out of a non flight zone that you would be getting dismounted IN a zone you could fly in to keep the exploit from happening. I also pointed out that the terrain would have to be basic on all sides, pretty much a smooth flat surface to avoid having any kind of player stuck issues so they could get safely back to the ground without having to kill themselves to get down or get stuck between 2 peaks. Does not make for a very interesting landscape imo. There's no unclear message I'm sending as I've pointed out some issues with the idea, and even said that if they could avoid said issues it's not a bad idea you brought up. Nice spin to make it look like I'm saying something I'm not.
    Not sure how much copy/paste is happening. If you want to look at the daily formula, sure; but, let's be honest, daily structure has existed since BC. The world has changed, so not much copy/paste there unless you are specifically talked by how trees have been in the game since classic. Flight was a copy/paste from BC as well. WotLK didn't really bring anything new to the game except LFG. Cata brought LFR. MoP brought flex raiding. WoD brought mythic raiding/dungeon. Legion brought m+ to an MMORPG. Yeah, it's a concept from other games, but so is the wardrobe and xmog system. Game wouldn't be the same without those though.

Blizzard nerf the toys to the ground one month into legion where players were using to go around the Broken Isles. Toys they specifically designed for the Broken Isles were nerfed to the ground. WoW dev team obviously do not talk to each other and are on a different page.

This probably explains the inconsistency with flight in WoD. Hopefully they are on the same page for flight by mid expansion in Legion.

You yourself stated having it be far out to not exploit
    No, I said "Far enough out so as to not land on anything critical". Keeping in mind that we're talking about stuff like the braindead boss NPC who's standing on top of a tower by himself, waving a flag that says "Kill me first!"

You block critical areas with high walls, mountains, trees, whatever, less critical areas with hazardous zones such as dismount/harpoon mechanics that a player can dare if they think they can pilot through it. This all just goes back to the different ways to control the skies without completely eliminating player flight.

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation with you. No matter what example or idea I come up with to make flight interesting while still allowing Blizzard to control approaches, you're going to fabricate some reason why it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Guess you didn't notice, but in WoD when you joined into any crossrealm groups (pvp or pve), you were protected from getting flagged for pvp, unless you started to attack someone/turned on PvP. Now in Legion? You join a crossrealm group, if it's started/led from a PvP realm, sorry, you instantly get flagged for pvp. There is a 40 mill hp boss mob in the tower on the Isle of Watchers (Azsuna), joined into a group standing on top, got ported into their realm, where the horde were nuking alliance (I play on PvE realm, as alliance), I was nuked down in 3 sec. Great fun indeed! Nope.
    And don't think mouseovering on the group in the finder tool and doublechecking to make sure you're joining into PvE groups helps. Joined countless PvE adverted groups where I guess the leader left or whatever and BAM got pvp flagged.
    Interesting how only the most idiotic feature was left to stay "can't heal this guy, pvp is disabled". So yeah, pvp johnny joins your pve group on a pve realm, can't heal him because amg pvp flag, but getting forcedly flagged for pvp as pve player is suddenly okay. :/

Edit: actually, 2 ofthe most idiotic pvp feature was left in: when a PvP enabled player runs around on my pve realm, and I'm trying to quest, tab picks pvp guys ALWAYS up, as first target. I can't even attack them, because you need to manually enable pvp on a pve realm to be able attack them, but tabbing them all the time, that I can. #logic
    Yeah I didn't know that but it makes is harder to do PVE content if you are a PVP player given the emphasis on PVE content in Legion.

Flying has always been the glue that held together and augmented other systems like dailies, gathering professions and even fun side activities like archaeology and pet battles. Without it you have a game where grinding for more ilevel gear is all that matters and utilizing flight whistle. I think that is pathetic if that is the ground and pound vision of the world of Warcraft.

7+ Year Old Account
    The best model was obviously WotLK followed by MoP/BC style with new areas being no flying while the rest the world had access to flying.

This new model effectively cuts the player base by half for half the expansion with no guarantee that those players will return.
    This is what we call OPINION and SPECULATION. Since Blizz no longer offers numbers to the public, you have no way of knowing how many people left thanks to the lack of flight. It's false statements like this that give people more reason not to take you seriously on the discussion of flight.

they should get rid of ground mounts, so we have to rp walk everyone, that will really boost immersion

No, I said "Far enough out so as to not land on anything critical". Keeping in mind that we're talking about stuff like the braindead boss NPC who's standing on top of a tower by himself, waving a flag that says "Kill me first!"

You block critical areas with high walls, mountains, trees, whatever, less critical areas with hazardous zones such as dismount/harpoon mechanics that a player can dare if they think they can pilot through it. This all just goes back to the different ways to control the skies without completely eliminating player flight.

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation with you. No matter what example or idea I come up with to make flight interesting while still allowing Blizzard to control approaches, you're going to fabricate some reason why it wouldn't work.
    So you block areas that people need/want access to but make everything else in the zone just pointless terrain? Inb4 "but it's already like that," well, it isn't no where near like that. Also, what's delegated as critical areas? Bosses? Quest hubs? Treasures? Archaeology dig sites? Raid/dungeon entrances? Do you block the entire no fly zone with a mountain that reaches flight height cap to avoid the exploit I mentioned?
    I am not fabricating anything, I am simply bringing up design issues and ideas that you may be overlooking. I've even stated (again, can't believe I have to type this) I like some of the ideas, but at the same time I can recognize the issues that it brings up and merely pointed by these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    This is what we call OPINION and SPECULATION. Since Blizz no longer offers numbers to the public, you have no way of knowing how many people left thanks to the lack of flight. It's false statements like this that give people more reason not to take you seriously on the discussion of flight.
    ah, and there you have the EXACT reason why Blizzard did it. They don't want people to actually know what's going on under the hood, to prevent accurate criticism. They'd much rather be able to only show just the things which make them look good. That, in and of itself, should be causing people concern. I get that there's marketing and image to maintain, but Blizzard used to be a company known for its integrity. These days they're hiding things. If they were really confident of their product, why are they so afraid to just say: "Yeah, we know subs are down. But our business model has changed to reflect cyclical players, and that's ok. The quality of WoW won't change, just the business model."

- - - Updated - - -

So you block areas that people need/want access to but make everything else in the zone just pointless terrain? Inb4 "but it's already like that," well, it isn't no where near like that. Also, what's delegated as critical areas? Bosses? Quest hubs? Treasures? Archaeology dig sites? Raid/dungeon entrances? Do you block the entire no fly zone with a mountain that reaches flight height cap to avoid the exploit I mentioned?
    I am not fabricating anything, I am simply bringing up design issues and ideas that you may be overlooking. I've even stated (again, can't believe I have to type this) I like some of the ideas, but at the same time I can recognize the issues that it brings up and merely pointed by these out.
    It's a case by case basis. For one encounter, Blizzard says: "We want players to have to tackle this tower from the ground floor up, til they finally fight the boss at the top." In that case they'd use any of the mechanics suggested in this thread to stop players from just landing on the top and skipping their intended approach.

In another case, such as more open-ended content like archaeology, pet battles, or standard cut/paste kill quests, they don't use anti-air mechanics.

In yet a third case, such as suramar, you lay down almost an entire zone worth of anti-air stuff, such as the suggested remnants of the shield causing unstable airspace that wouldn't be safe to fly in.

Would examples like these spread across all zones take more work? Obviously. Would they also result in more interesting gameplay, as players had to switch between air mounts, ground mounts, gliding, or whatever other travel tools they have at their disposal? Also yes. The problem here is that you, Blizzard, and other fans seem to be completely unwilling to even consider the possibility that anything in the air could add to the game instead of detract from it.

OH NO! Blizzard has to work a little harder to create a game that actually appeals to the people who enjoyed flying for nearly 8 years. What a fucking tragedy that would be! OH NO! Zones might have to be bigger! God forbid we have a large, expansive world filled with adventure to explore instead of the projects crammed so close together than you can barely move without tripping over something. OH NO! Some ground-pounding RP player might be offended that a flying player didn't swoop down to have a /hug and /wave session with them. OH NO! Players might actually enjoy the freedom to approach content how they want!

The entire no-flying thing is just downright shameful.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-10-29 at 09:10 PM.