Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The real problem here is that this indeed effects salaried employees, but sadly, it is the lower end of the pay scale. I worked for a large pool chemical company for a few years as a store manager and I was salaried, making less then 50K and I had very easy weeks when I had very little to do and hours got cut way back and then in the summer we had very long days/weeks during our peak season. I never felt like it was abuse as it evened out. In the winter I was literally paid to do nothing but watch the store.

I was in a unique position however and it certainly isn't this drastic for everyone. Ironically as a pilot now, I have been removed from salary and get paid hourly, but don't think that makes anything other then the pay worth it. Now, I am micromanaged on when my "hourly pay" starts. If we are weather delayed at the gate, no pay. If we are waiting on a late crew member, no pay. If there is a mechanical delay, no pay. The only time we get paid is when the wheels are turning or the flight is canceled and not all airlines pay that. If I was salary, I would be getting paid for all of it, including my travel to and from, which by the way, as an hourly employee, I don't get.

Long story short, there are pros and cons to both systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    May as well call it what it is. A big fuck you to front line lower management people in the service industry. The store manager of the GAP that's going to be working 60-80 hours a week from now to Christmas? Fuck you. The McDonald's manager doing that practically all year? Fuck you too.

This is correct in that this change doesn't affect some bank manager making 75K or a district manager, this effects entry level management positions only, which if we are honest, have several other things going against them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I am blaming an ideology, that he is the walking embodiment of.
    What? He's a populist and an opportunist, not an ideologue.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I am blaming an ideology, that he is the walking embodiment of. When he gets in, he will ensure more things like this happen....hence fucking over the people that voted him in. The republicans cheered this. The ideology that made them cheer this is the same ideology that made them nominate & support Trump.
    I despise Trump as much as anyone but from the media coverage of the election the Republican party itself also dislikes Trump? As I discussed on another thread it's the poorly educated rural American voter who exist in a vacuum voting against their own interests whilst the CEO's and corporations laugh all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    He's pro business, pro wealthy. He was opportunistic, by seizing on the racism, xenophobia & misogyny in this country....so he could put forth his pro business and pro wealthy agenda. Wanna guess what would fall under that agenda?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    I despise Trump as much as anyone but from the media coverage of the election the Republican party itself also dislikes Trump? As I discussed on another thread it's the poorly educated rural American voter who exist in a vacuum voting against their own interests whilst the CEO's and corporations laugh all the way to the bank.
    The official party stance was against his unscripted crap. let's not kid ourselves, the wall, muslim registries/internment camps, pro male, pro christian, pro business, pro wealthy...have all been Republican ideals for awhile.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

He's pro business, pro wealthy. He was opportunistic, by seizing on the racism, xenophobia & misogyny in this country....so he could put forth his pro business and pro wealthy agenda. Wanna guess what would fall under that agenda?
    He doesnt have a pro business, pro wealth agenda. He does whatever is going to help TRUMP. If that means taking a stand for workers rights, he will. You dont know where he stands on this because he isnt in office yet and I havent heard anything from him about this.

Lets be honest as well. The title of the thread is misleading, because the workers didnt lose anything, because it didnt go into effect yet. Also there is nothing that would signify they would have actually received overtime pay rather then their company hiring more workers, which would have been the cheaper route.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    He doesnt have a pro business, pro wealth agenda. He does whatever is going to help TRUMP. If that means taking a stand for workers rights, he will. You dont know where he stands on this because he isnt in office yet and I havent heard anything from him about this.

Lets be honest as well. The title of the thread is misleading, because the workers didnt lose anything, because it didnt go into effect yet. Also there is nothing that would signify they would have actually received overtime pay rather then their company hiring more workers, which would have been the cheaper route.
    Yeah Trump is closed book. An enigma. A riddle wrapped in mystery. ...
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Yeah Trump is closed book. An enigma. A riddle wrapped in mystery. ...
    Its not that he is a closed book. The guys mood changes with the wind according to what is popular. We simply dont know where he stands on this because he isnt in office and nobody has nailed him down and asked him.

The main reason most pro business groups are against it is because the new minimum salary level does not take into account the cost of living in the mid-west which is much cheaper and thus does not require such a high minimum.

Its not that he is a closed book. The guys mood changes with the wind according to what is popular. We simply dont know where he stands on this because he isnt in office and nobody has nailed him down and asked him.

The main reason most pro business groups are against it is because the new minimum salary level does not take into account the cost of living in the mid-west which is much cheaper and thus does not require such a high minimum.
    Trump told us where he stands and what his plans are. Its time to stop pretending we don't know what we're getting. He's held to his campaign persona since the election, through his twitter rants and cabinet appointments.

Pro business groups are always against wage hikes.

I run a business and I would much sooner just cut hours than pay overtime

You Bernie children need to fuck off to North Korea or educate yourselves on how the economy and businesses actually run, 15 an hour and overtime pay is not what makes people thrive

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Usually I take a pro-business stance, but I believe that people should be paid adequately for their work, and if you work over 40 hours a week, you should get overtime, period.

I get the arguments against salary pay getting overtime, but I still don't agree with it.

Anyway, I'd tell people, if the company you work for wants to stiff you overtime pay, work somewhere else.
    Unfortunately this is not always an option. Employers can be very sneaky and can find ways to essentially force workers into overtime without calling it overtime (a massive problem here in Japan).

For example, even though you may have 5 days of mandatory summer leave, nothing stops your boss from saying 'oh, here is an essential report due next week' forcing you to either come in on your own time or work at home for free. If you decide to rebel and just not do the work, it will be used as proof that you are not meeting goals and you will either be fired or disciplined in some other way.

There is a reason that 'worked to death' is still such a big problem here in Japan: there is almost no regulation or enforcement of existing rules.

The same applies to contracts.

What on earth does anything here have to do with Trump?

A federal judge (who is not Trump) issued a preliminary injunction to block a regulation issued by the NLRB (which is not Trump) at the obvious behest of the current President (who is also not Trump), because the regulation exceeded the power of the NLRB under the statute passed by Congress (also, not Trump).

10+ Year Old Account
    Their employer would stop allowing them to work extra hours to avoid the possibility of a federal audit.
    But they're not getting paid for overtime anyway so it won't make a difference.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    What on earth does anything here have to do with Trump?

A federal judge (who is not Trump) issued a preliminary injunction to block a regulation issued by the NLRB (which is not Trump) at the obvious behest of the current President (who is also not Trump), because the regulation exceeded the power of the NLRB under the statute passed by Congress (also, not Trump).
    Yeah but,

Trump is a pedo.

Trump told us where he stands and what his plans are. Its time to stop pretending we don't know what we're getting. He's held to his campaign persona since the election, through his twitter rants and cabinet appointments.

Pro business groups are always against wage hikes.
    Yeah, well instead of jumping to conclusions, and getting all worked up. I will wait until I see action.

Funny when people think these changes happen over night, how long did take for free trade to really start fucking the Americans over?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    How would someone end up getting hurt by being paid for overtime?
    They lose their job because of the extra expense to the business. We arent talking about Walmart. We are talking about Cousin Henry's Bagel Show who employs 6 people. I dont think any republican would have a problem if the law was written to only apply to businesses with more than 10000 employees

Yeah, well instead of jumping to conclusions, and getting all worked up. I will wait until I see action.
    He told you what he was gonna do, then went ahead and started putting people like Bannon and Sessions in position. Acting like his plans are a mystery at this point is naive bordering on flat out insanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They lose their job because of the extra expense to the business. We arent talking about Walmart. We are talking about Cousin Henry's Bagel Show who employs 6 people. I dont think any republican would have a problem if the law was written to only apply to businesses with more than 10000 employees

Then their business model is flawed and likely that's proof positive our economy has issues.

Dumb article.

-This doesnt even effect 1% of americans.
    -47K a year with OT, still sounds like a fucking nightmare (get a better job)
    -Author is a moron, love this line "many of whom would have voted for Donald Trump" the election results were like 47%-48% so I'm sure many of whom also voted for Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    Worst advice ever.

Unions serve no beneficial purpose other than protecting bad behavior.
    This is Such BS, Unions protect workers with everything written in the contract, so laws changing like this overtime thing would be a non issue.... I mean shit one could write a novel about the Practical and Current day benefits that exist in unions that Non union workers don't have. Here's the facts, employers don't care about the welfare of the work force, they care about their shareholders, shareholders care about the bottom line. Workforce is simply a cost to them, and they will minimize this cost down to the point where they will at least have a workforce. The problem is because unions have lost favor with the populous due to brainwashing by corporations as them being nothing but "lazy" the working class has come to accept shit working conditions as the norm, Crap Pay and Crap hours.

Hell even the concept of overtime after 40 is THANKS to unions. There where no laws about this shit back in the day, unions fought for it to make it happen.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Remember, businesses are people too.
    That's okay, I already hate humanity (with some exceptions) so it won't change how I feel about businesses