Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    If you're looking for a DC I hear Charlie Weis is seeking employment LOLOLOL
    NO!!!!! WRONG CHARLIE!!!!!!

/caps

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that went about as expected. Fucking Florida. Why can't you...do anything? How are you the SEC East champions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, that went about as expected. Fucking Florida. Why can't you...do anything? How are you the SEC East champions?
    Because somehow, they sucked the least?

Least in the East!

It will be interesting to see if the selection committee picks the Big 10 Champion or Ohio State.

I feel like it should be

Alabama
    Clemson
    Washington/Colorado
    Wisconsin/Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the selection committee picks the Big 10 Champion or Ohio State.

I feel like it should be

Alabama
    Clemson
    Washington/Colorado
    Wisconsin/Penn State
    Problem with that is 3 of the teams you listed have head to head losses with Michigan. Colorado lost to Michigan by 17 points, PSU lost to Michigan by 39 points. Wisconsin only lost by 7 but they where controlled for much of the game and Allen missed 2 chip shot FGs in that game.

How do you justify any of those 3 jumping Michigan, let alone Ohio State?

Just because PSU beat OSU on a flukey play?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Starts at Noon because of tradition.
    Tradition was actually 1pm EST.

The noon shit started in the early 2000s when the Big Ten let disney decide time slots.

"Toe meets leather at 1pm"- That was the tradition. It's already been shat on, so might as well go full on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, Penn State had a soft schedule, Wisconsin lost to Ohio St. and Michigan. Ohio St had 4 wins against ranked opponents, second only to Alabama. Not much worthwhile discussion to be had there. I don't see Colorado jumping from 9th to 3rd/4th on the strength of a single game either. Conference championships are a good means of comparing two evenly ranked teams, it can be a useful tiebreaker, but it shouldn't be jumping lesser teams ahead of better teams.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Because somehow, they sucked the least?

Least in the East!
    Be careful, that could stick.

How fucked up is the Big 10 if the #2 team in the nation can't even with their sub-conference? OSU won't even be playing for the Big 10 title and the CFP is going to keep them in the top 4. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Problem with that is 3 of the teams you listed have head to head losses with Michigan. Colorado lost to Michigan by 17 points, PSU lost to Michigan by 39 points. Wisconsin only lost by 7 but they where controlled for much of the game and Allen missed 2 chip shot FGs in that game.

Just because PSU beat OSU on a flukey play?

- - - Updated - - -

Tradition was actually 1pm EST.

The noon shit started in the early 2000s when the Big Ten let disney decide time slots.

"Toe meets leather at 1pm"- That was the tradition. It's already been shat on, so might as well go full on.
    Because they will have won their conferences. I mean it's all irrelevant anyways, cause Alabama is going to win the whole thing.
    Last edited by muto; 2016-11-27 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Because they will have won their conferences.
    Which means nothing but 1) Wisconsin benefited from a free ride in the west and 2) Penn State beat OSU on a fluke play.

The goal of the CFP is to get the best 4 teams in the playoff. Wisconsin, Penn State and Colorado all lost to Michigan. Penn State and Colorado got blown out by Michigan. How are any of those 3 teams better then Michigan? If they're not better then Michigan how are they better then OSU?

Wisconsin lost to both OSU and Michigan and is a clear example of how not always the best team in a conference wins the conference title as they have a shot at it and neither OSU or Michigan do. The goal of the CFP is to put the best 4 teams in the playoff, not 4 conference champions.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-27 at 08:47 AM.

If everyone wins out it's going to be interesting because you are gonna have some tough calls.

I think the only team we can say for certain, win, lose, or draw that is in is Alabama. If Clemson wins then they are in. That leaves two spots.

If Washington loses and Penn State wins, I think you see Ohio State and Penn State in. If Penn State loses with a Washington loss its probably Michigan. If Washington wins and Penn State wins I think there is a scenario where the committee could make an argument to leave both Ohio State and Michigan out with Washington and Penn State in. I don't think it happens but it is possible if they put more stock in conference champions.

Where it is going to get really crazy is if you see Clemson go down, Washington go down, Penn State win. I don't know who they put in then because I just don't think they would put 3 big 10 teams in.

Basically boils down to Clemson, Penn State, and Washington having their destiny in their own hands. Ohio State is probably already in, but we don't know that for certain if Penn State, Washington, and Clemson all win. Penn State loses they are out, Washington loses they are out. Depending on circumstances Clemson could still get in with a loss. Michigan has to pray that Penn State goes down, even if they are the better team I don't see the committee putting two Big Ten teams and neither of them being conference champ if that conference champ is Penn state.

Keep in mind I don't have a dog in the hunt, so I'm not pulling for anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If you don't even PLAY in your conference championship game, you really have no business in the college playoff. Conference Championship game is round 1 of the tournament. Regular season was the round robin to get in. To quote/paraphrase Herbstreit... "They are pretty good but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    If you don't even PLAY in your conference championship game, you really have no business in the college playoff. Conference Championship game is round 1 of the tournament. Regular season was the round robin to get in. To quote/paraphrase Herbstreit... "They are pretty good but..."
    If the point of the college playoff was to put the conference champions in then they would do that and not fuss with all this ranking stuff. They don't do that, that isn't what the system is set up to do nor should people expect or demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If the point of the college playoff was to put the conference champions in then they would do that and not fuss with all this ranking stuff. They don't do that, that isn't what the system is set up to do nor should people expect or demand it.
    Agreed. And I think one thing that we've seen in all this (imho) is that if you're going to have a conference championship, you should just have the top 2 teams in the conference play in it. How frequently do we see one side of a conference be completely stacked and the other side have nothing, then you're looking at a blowout in a conference championship game? I'm not sure what holding that kind of a championship game proves. I think the majority of people who have watched the Big Ten this season (and I recognize that I'm biased, as an OSU fan) would agree that regardless of the OSU/PSU result (a game that OSU wins 8 or 9 times out of 10, but I know you can't just throw out head to head matchups) OSU and Michigan are a good distance above the rest of the conference, yet neither has a spot in the championship game. That right there is just indicative of a stupid system. Do you want the two best teams in the championship, or the winner of the weakened west division and the team that won the east through a bizarre series of tiebreakers and technicalities?

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Agreed. And I think one thing that we've seen in all this (imho) is that if you're going to have a conference championship, you should just have the top 2 teams in the conference play in it. How frequently do we see one side of a conference be completely stacked and the other side have nothing, then you're looking at a blowout in a conference championship game? I'm not sure what holding that kind of a championship game proves. I think the majority of people who have watched the Big Ten this season (and I recognize that I'm biased, as an OSU fan) would agree that regardless of the OSU/PSU result (a game that OSU wins 8 or 9 times out of 10, but I know you can't just throw out head to head matchups) OSU and Michigan are a good distance above the rest of the conference, yet neither has a spot in the championship game. That right there is just indicative of a stupid system. Do you want the two best teams in the championship, or the winner of the weakened west division and the team that won the east through a bizarre series of tiebreakers and technicalities?
    It's not a stupid system, it's called, win your games. Ohio state is in this mess because they didn't win the games they needed too in the conference.

This is why they are going to eventually go to 8 teams. 5 conference champions, 3 at large. Tbh if they dont, I'm arguing to get rid of the championship games if they don't matter.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post

I agree with both of these statements - I don't know how to handle that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post

This is why they are going to eventually go to 8 teams. 5 conference champions, 3 at large. Tbh if they dont, I'm arguing to get rid of the championship games if they don't matter.
    I think they will eventually go to eight teams - possibly soon if this year turns out to be a larger clusterfuck than usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a stupid system, it's called, win your games. Ohio state is in this mess because they didn't win the games they needed too in the conference.
    Game, singular. They didn't win one game, and it doesn't make sense to hold them to greater accountability for their one loss than Penn State or Wisconsin for their two losses.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree with both of these statements - I don't know how to handle that.
    I know, its an interesting predicament, I also want conference championships to count for something, but not if it means the 3rd or 4th best team in a conference that only has 2 good teams makes the playoff.

Game, singular. They didn't win one game, and it doesn't make sense to hold them to greater accountability for their one loss than Penn State or Wisconsin for their two losses.

I know, its an interesting predicament, I also want conference championships to count for something, but not if it means the 3rd or 4th best team in a conference that only has 2 good teams makes the playoff.
    Still comes down to win your games. Frankly if they couldn't win their own division in their own conference they have very little leg to stand on even if their overall record is better.

Don't like what happens, win the games you should be winning. If Penn State is worse than Ohio State then they shouldn't have gotten beat by them. Once again, win your games and you can be like Alabama and not need to worry about what the committee thinks about who beat who.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still comes down to win your games. Frankly if they couldn't win their own division in their own conference they have very little leg to stand on even if their overall record is better.
    Ignoring the double standard of applying that maxim to Ohio State but not to Penn State?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice if some of the conferences could put their two best teams up for the Conf Champ game - instead of arbitrarily assigned sides (i.e. East/West SEC and North/South PAC-12). It's ridiculous that the #2 team in the country isn't playing for their own conference championship (it's also entirely their fault, of course - gotta win your games).

Ignoring the double standard of applying that maxim to Ohio State but not to Penn State?
    What double standard? If Penn State wins the championship they accomplished what Ohio State didn't? Oh and last I looked they beat Ohio State as well. Ohio State has no leg, zero, none, zip to stand against Penn State imo. If they were so good, and Michigan is better, why did they lose to Penn State? Win the games you need to, Ohio State didn't and you are at someone elses mercy, plain and simple.