Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Bullshit story is bullshit Obama did far worse than take a phone call.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/16/po...l?eref=edition
    It's not worse.

Arming Taiwan has been a recurring, bipartisan thing for decades. While China is always unhappy, it's normalized. Furthermore the US is sensitive to what it sends Tiawan... often dumbed down stuff... and is very sensitive at not making Taiwan's military able to offensively defeat China, just enough to defensively foil it.

Engaging the Taiwanese political establishment as an equal though, is unheard of since the 1970s. It's a big deal. It's a very big deal. You may not think it is, but the Chinese will. They see such an act, especially by the United States, as a direct assault on their territorial integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    Perhaps it was done as a shot across the bow. Play ball with me once I get in on renegotiating some trade deals, stop the egressing currency manipulation and I will drop this whole Taiwan nonsense. Decide you want to fight me on everything, well guess who I have on the phone, Taiwan. I think this was done on purpose and was calculated to send a message, nice thing being this wasn't an official message due to him not being in power yet. Say what you want, but Trump as been proving people wrong for almost two years now, perhaps he is smarter then the posters on this forum, or at the very least, more experienced in these types of things.
    Trump isn't that fucking smart. He's been recklessly handling relations with other countries all the way back to having Ivanka in a private meeting with the Japanese PM. This is just another one for him. He's a totally novice when it comes to politics and he doesn't recognize protocol or understand the international political climate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Trump isn't that fucking smart. He's been recklessly handling relations with other countries all the way back to having Ivanka in a private meeting with the Japanese PM. This is just another one for him. He's a totally novice when it comes to politics and he doesn't recognize protocol or understand the international climate.
    The argument that Trump needs to be an experienced politician to be successful sort of falls apart when you look at how well the experienced politicians have been doing at running things.

The argument that Trump is a total douche bag, is alive and well.

You most likely said that Trump could never win the election. Ever stop for a moment and think you may be wrong about some things? Not saying you are, but you speak in such a way as to state things as fact. This guy has been winning his whole life, I see no change now.
    Trump managed to snake his way into office by selling himself to basically low information idiots, but he's a total novice politician with no grasp of foreign policy. He's going to get manhandled on an international political stage.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Source: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/02/donal...iwan-call.html

So yeah Trump just managed to piss on 40 years of US policy, piss off Beijing, and it was probably on accident....
    This is basically if you catch an acquaintance of yours whom you think is a bit narcissistic and douchie and still owes you $50 calling your ex-gf who stole your islands and ran away.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Trump isn't that fucking smart. He's been recklessly handling relations with other countries all the way back to having Ivanka in a private meeting with the Japanese PM. This is just another one for him. He's a totally novice when it comes to politics and he doesn't recognize protocol or understand the international climate.
    You may be right, you may be wrong, only thing now is that he has surrounded himself with some of the best in the business, just like he said he would. You may not like those people, but they are good at their jobs, at least in terms of this context. This is exactly what Reagan did, he surrounded himself with the right people. He was the face to the public while those with more experience pulled the strings. I don't see an exact parallel here but do see similarities.

At the very least we won't have to watch him "bow" down to every world leader as he is shaking their hands. I would rather someone rattle the cage then literally bend over for other countries leaders.

Trump managed to snake his way into office by selling himself to basically low information idiots, but he's a total novice politician with no grasp of foreign policy. He's going to get manhandled on an international political stage.
    US power is not derived from the charisma of the executive. Just sayin...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    There is a time and place to pick this fight with China. I'm all for a confrontational approach with China - at the other end of a coordinated strategy that limits their opions. A sloppy slap to the face gets us nothing.

This happened because Trump, knowing jack-all about the world and ignoring the State Department, didn't know any better.

Trumpkins pretending this is anything other than a monumental screw up at this point are being beyond nakedly dishonest. Spoiler Alert: it's okay for "your guy" to screw up and you to call him on it.

Still, causing a major international incident in less than 30 days of becoming President-elect has got to be some kind of record. As I've been saying, what will do in Trump will be an accident. He'll screw up so badly, and not even realize he did it until it's too late. This is a preview.
    I'm 100% for a hard line with the tyrants in Beijing.

50% tariff on everything Made in China. WTO doesn't like it? US leaves the WTO.

Park a third of the US Pacific Fleet in Taiwan's territorial waters and publicly state support for Taiwanese independence. Make it clear that any attack on USN ships will be the closing of the book on Chinese history.

Basically, dare the PRC to cross a line that will end them.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

I voted for him, so I guess that makes me a low information idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Still, causing a major international incident in less than 30 days of becoming President-elect has got to be some kind of record. As I've been saying, what will do in Trump will be an accident. He'll screw up so badly, and not even realize he did it until it's too late. This is a preview.
    It's not even the first incident either. India aren't too thrilled about his praise of Pakistan. And then there's the whole Duterte thing as well.

You may be right, you may be wrong, only thing now is that he has surrounded himself with some of the best in the business, just like he said he would. You may not like those people, but they are good at their jobs, at least in terms of this context. This is exactly what Reagan did, he surrounded himself with the right people. He was the face to the public while those with more experience pulled the strings. I don't see an exact parallel here but do see similarities.

At the very least we won't have to watch him "bow" down to every world leader as he is shaking their hands. I would rather someone rattle the cage then literally bend over for other countries leaders.
    Would hardly consider him surrounded by the best. Most of the "best" consider him radioactive and won't go near him. Most of Trump's picks have been obscure donors or people pushed out years ago.

It's also not so much a matter of bending over for them as it is having no grasp on foreign policy or understanding how fragile the international political climate and peace really are. Reckless dealings like this can escalate quickly and all he's trying to do is make business deals for himself without care of the consequence or who he crosses.

That's not having balls. That's being straight up reckless. Having balls would be actually making an actual plan to have a more aggressive stance with China and come out on top. This is just him trying to make deals and to hell with the collateral damage.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2016-12-03 at 01:28 AM.

Good. Congratulations on Trump. China can go fuck itself and at the same time we can start developing our influence on the Pacific region.

Trump isn't that fucking smart. He's been recklessly handling relations with other countries all the way back to having Ivanka in a private meeting with the Japanese PM. This is just another one for him. He's a totally novice when it comes to politics and he doesn't recognize protocol or understand the international political climate.
    Please stop with this, Obama was a Senator for what, a year or something before running for President? Timeline is wrong of course, but the point stands. Its not like he had some great knowledge going into it. You learn as you go, scary as that may be. It is common for Presidents to be Governors at one point, that doesn't always make you a knowledgable leader in regards to foreign relations.

The guy isn't even President yet and you just cant wait to throw him under the bus. Hell, I didn't vote for Obama in either term, but at least for the first one I gave the guy a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    you can't be serious
    When you owe the bank $100k the bank owns you. When you owe the bank $1 billion you own the bank.

Please stop with this, Obama was a Senator for what, a year or something before running for President? Timeline is wrong of course, but the point stands. Its not like he had some great knowledge going into it. You learn as you go, scary as that may be. It is common for Presidents to be Governors at one point, that doesn't always make you a knowledgable leader in regards to foreign relations.

The guy isn't even President yet and you just cant wait to throw him under the bus. Hell, I didn't vote for Obama in either term, but at least for the first one I gave the guy a chance.
    Obama at least had an understanding of the political climate and attended intelligence meetings to get caught up to speed and told what to do and what not to do. Trump has attended like...2? 3 maybe now? and showing no care for anything but his deals.

Would hardly consider him surrounded by the best. Most of the "best" consider him radioactive and won't go near him. Most of Trump's picks have been obscure donors or people pushed out years ago.

It's also not so much a matter of bending over for them as it is having no grasp on foreign policy or understanding how fragile the international political climate and peace really are. Reckless dealings like this can escalate quickly and all he's trying to do is make business deals for himself without care of the consequence or who he crosses.

That's not having balls. That's being straight up reckless. Having balls would be actually making an actual plan to have a more aggressive stance with China and come out on top. This is just him trying to make deals and to hell with the collateral damage.
    I didn't say balls, but I get your point. IN my opinion the way things have been going for the last eight years haven't improved anything, in fact in a lot of ways we are more unstable. So he pissed the Chinese off, so what, Putin likes him. So we trade one super power for the other. This is nothing, it will blow over. Wonder if China called to congratulate him when he won?

You most likely said that Trump could never win the election. Ever stop for a moment and think you may be wrong about some things? Not saying you are, but you speak in such a way as to state things as fact. This guy has been winning his whole life, I see no change now.
    (1) As I said, I underestimated the backwardness of the working class in three key states. I won't make that mistake again. Hillary Clinton still won more votes by far. But that said, that's not how we choose the President. Silly me for thinking that might translate into electoral votes.

I regret nothing.

(2) Trump... 'winning'... ehhhh it depends on your perspective. He's worth $3.7 billion. A billionaire sure, but he's been one for decades and it's barely moved. And it's been mostly in real estate and hotels. Meanwhile his contemporaries became five to twenty times richer in the three tech booms and three major financial booms that Trump has lived through since 1980. While his contemporaries create new financial instruments or invest in Uber, Microsoft and Amazon, Trump has tried rather pedestrian ways of expanding his wealth.

That is to say, Trump 'wins' at the very narrow set of things he's good at. But compared to his peers, he's been a rather unremarkable billionaire who has achieved surprisingly little by comparison despite being 'on the scene' for decades. He's great at Hotels and Real Estate for certain clientel. But at 70 years old, the question should be asked, why isn't he worth five to ten times as much?

That may seem ridiculous, but consider, Bill Gates is worth $80 billion... much of that early wealth was Microsoft stock of course, but that was decades ago. he's long since parlayed that into highly diversified holdings. Modern Bill Gates is worth $80 billion not because of Microsoft, but because of his investments. He used money to make more money.

Trump loves to spin the tale of how he's one of America's most successful businessmen. He's not. He's worth as much as Steven Spielberg. He's worth less than a guy who started a pet food company. He's a successful man, but his contemporaries simply did a lot more than he ever did, when it came to turning wealth into more wealth. While he was starting Trump ties and Trump suits, they were investing in start-ups. That tells you something about Donald Trump as a person. He's a man without a shred of imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    Do u really believe what u say?
    I mean he's right, China would go into a major depression if we cut trade, they're already a very poor country from a population standpoint. We give them jobs and plenty of products and by cutting off China we'd increase our economy, it would make companies bring their work back here or risk going out of business. More jobs means more taxes, which means we could pay off our debt to China faster. Its basic econ.

Obama at least had an understanding of the political climate and attended intelligence meetings to get caught up to speed and told what to do and what not to do. Trump has attended like...2? 3 maybe now? and showing no care for anything but his deals.
    He gets daily intelligence briefings, the same one the President gets.

Trump pisses off China - "yeah you show those damn Chinese you big alpha male you".

Hillary politely declines to suck Putin's cock - "OMG does this crazy warmonger want to start WWIII with Russia!!??".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.