Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Democratic elected leader calls democratically elected leader, but you think leader 2 should hide from the call because it might anger an evil dictatorship? Your America sounds sad and morally bankrupt.
    The phone call wasn't the problem. It was Trump making personal business deals with them while, and this is the big issue, acknowledging Taiwan as an official government.

This thread has just proved that people know fuck all about foreign policy and the current international political climate. No wonder Skroe stopped posting in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Yeah, I heard about that. Democrats not accepting the outcome of the election. Crazy stuff.
    How are they not accepting they outcome if the EC picks someone else than Trump?

As people keep repeating, it's part of the system. We're a 'Republic'.

Bashing the religion that is US foreign policy seems to make some people pretty upset. I feel like it has been said before that this neocon proxy global warfare we wage isn't what established us as a superpower and I would argue it isn't doing much to keep us a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The phone call wasn't the problem. It was Trump making personal business deals with them while, and this is the big issue, acknowledging Taiwan as an official government.
    Taiwan called HIM and they ARE an official government because they are democratically chosen by the people that live there and therefore have a mandate, i don't know about you americans but all of us in the south pacific are sick and tired of china bullying all of us because they know theres nothing we can do about it.
    It's about time you got a real leader thats actually ready to call out bullshit and put them in their place instead of limpwristing around worried about implying implications

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How are they not accepting they outcome if the EC picks someone else than Trump?

Yes, where the electors are bound to pick the person whom they were elected to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    They called Trump. He didn't call them. He's the president elect, not the president. The conversation has no actual impact and China is overreacting because they feel threatened. American press are acting as if Trump made the call himself so they can create a stupid and sensationalist story piece. This whole story is a non event.
    It matters not who called who because both parties agreed to talk beforehand - something that is considered a no-no by the diplomatic community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Again, there'd be much bigger problems than the price of the next iphone if we were about to go to war with China.
    It can then be made in Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Yes, where the electors are bound to pick the person whom they were elected to pick.
    Actually, one of the other intended purposes of the EC was to NOT vote for unfit populist candidates.

If the EC votes for Trump this year, they effectively went against the two primary reasons for having it to begin with, meaning it should see changes.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Except for the fact that the electors are not required to vote for anyone. That is the entire point of the EC. It was originally put in place to prevent a populist foreign puppet from becoming President. In that event, or something similar, they would then protect the US' interests by not electing that person, and instead select a different one.

It's just strange to me that people are spinning this as sticking up for Taiwan when the situation right now is pretty tense without this gaffe and this will just be used to justify even more draconian measures being taken against them. And of course Trump and his supporters profess non-intervention so Taiwan will be left to deal with it alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I think this is needed.

China is starting to play bully. Taiwan always wanted independence, and they had been self regulating for many years, but China keep going on with the bullshit with "all belong to China" and try to absorb it back.

Hong Kong recently had an independence movement, especially since the yellow umbrella protest (China allow "democracy" in the HK minister (or whatever they call the person in charge) election, but all candidates are hand picked and are all pro-China, HK people not happy with it but couldn't do anything about it), but any show in interest in HK independence is instantly being remove/covered up.

They also using landfill to extend their land outwards (come on there are plenty of un-used land in China) to extend their sea territory, and trying to absorb all the nearby island. There is an island between China and Japan, both trying to claim ownership of it, now China is trying to extend their territory so it cover the island so that they can claim it, which is bullshit.

While US is probably playing bully too by sticking its nose in, I think this is much needed to put China in place to try stop absorbing everything around the area and call it yours.

China can't win an economic/real war against us so fuck them
    this seems to be the attitude of trump supporters

i still can't believe the shit storm that's about to hit the usa. fucking hell this is gonna hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Electoral College if they can't change their vote?

Granted this is just rumors, but someone was saying there are Democrats going around chanting, "Not My President!!" and what not, and a lot of Democrats not accepting the EC as legit arguing that Hillary should be the winner due to popular vote, etc. And Democrat leaders raising money and pushing for a recount of the votes.

I dunno, maybe my sources were mistaken...just some stuff I've heard.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    this seems to be the attitude of trump supporters

i still can't believe the shit storm that's about to hit the usa. fucking hell this is gonna hurt.
    But you are doing the world a favour, China do need a little nudge to show them their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post

This thread has just proved that people know fuck all about foreign policy and the current international political climate. No wonder Skroe stopped posting in this.
    and you have any proof that the crap you just spewed? That Trump was making businesses deals or that he acknowledged Taiwan as an official government?
    At least when we made accusation against Clinton we had something to back it up with

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Electoral College if they can't change their vote?
    It does, but that was changed a long time ago when someone decided the electors should vote as their represented population vote. Personally, I think the elected officials should be the ones to pick the president, not the population, but that's just my opinion.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

I'm not too concerned over this phone call all by itself. I'm considering Trump's history and even the things he's said during the campaign. There's no way we survive the next four years without a long string of international clusterfucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    It does, but that was changed a long time ago when someone decided the electors should vote as their represented population vote. Personally, I think the elected officials should be the ones to pick the president, not the population, but that's just my opinion.
    Only some states, like 8 I believe it was, passed laws like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    To be honest I think this is needed.

China is starting to play bully. Taiwan always wanted independence, and they had been self regulating for many years, but China keep going on with the bullshit with "all belong to China" and try to absorb it back.
    Taiwan has effective independence. They have their own administration. Their own passports. They're like the ~5th biggest economy in that region. They don't have China's internet controls.

The extent of China trying to take back Taiwan has, for many decades, consisted of saying 'Taiwan is part of China,' and not much else. The DPP thumbing their nose at China is simply a matter of national pride.

This was not needed. Most likely nothing the DPP does until the next election will be needed. Because Taiwan was doing just fine and is doing just fine, and the DPP is playing games with people's lives because they want to have their own identity. Which they already effectively have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?