Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The sex offender registry is wrong, imo. I think crimes should be punished with the appropriate sentence, and then the criminal should be forgiven and be allowed to rejoin society. I understand that pedophiles, for example, likely cannot be cured. The solution to that is initial sentencing, not a life of being a second class citizen. In addition, the registry doesn't really work, in any way. All it does is make people scared of their neighbors. Furthermore, as other posters have pointed out, not everyone on the registry is a pedophile. There is little evidence to show that standard rapists cannot be cured, like pedophiles. In my opinion, the registry is cruel and unusual punishment, and should be challenged in the SCOTUS.
    Our post sentence treatment is all screwed up. A convicted fellon can't own a gun.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Our post sentence treatment is all screwed up. A convicted fellon can't own a gun.
    I agree that felons should not have firearms. However, I do not agree that felons should not be able to vote. And, I certainly don't agree with it being legal to deny a felon a job. What's the point of letting someone out of jail if they can never provide for themselves and their family? We should forgive and forget, and we would greatly improve recidivism figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the father was found guilty, does that mean he is ugly?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://www.nsopw.gov/

Feel free to pull up some names of people who are registered sex offenders due to peeing in public. I'll wait.
    I'm not going to play your stupid game. Instead, I'll link this: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...aw-penalty.htm

Also, how about the 15 year-old that got caught with pictures of his 16 year-old girlfriend's boobs?

Or how about the teenager having consensual sex with his teenage girlfriend, whose fundamentally religious parents have him arrested for rape?

Or the couple caught having sex in an empty public area?

The point still stands: Sex offender doesn't mean rapist. There are plenty of morally upstanding people who are sex offenders.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2016-12-07 at 03:59 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Actually if you read the story, it raises the question of why a registered sex offender is even allowed back onto the streets.
    All the article says is he has a background, no specific details, quite a few things can get you on that list,

Prostitute visits,
    pissing in a public area
    Flashing,

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's probably not been done for one of those, but regardless, thats not the point of the article.

Anyways, a lot of people raising the same point or something similar as the above quoted, lets remember some key things here:

1) Don't label the son based on the fathers actions
    2) In his class mates eyes, (or even in general) he might have a successful future in football, clearly making him popular,
    3) We don't know if alcohol was involved or not or even drugs.
    4) If I have the right school here, according to this description, it is a catholic school, the girl might have been willing and had immediate regret, possibly thinking crying rape wouldn't get her in a shit storm if her parents found out. By all means I'm not saying this is the case, but it is a possibility.

I'm sure I could go on listing a few more, but thats what investigators are for, and you shouldn't jump to conclusions, If it turns out his innocent, it doesn't matter, more than likely (if it was in the works) his football career will be over before its finished, odds are majority of locals will be "Oh theres that rapist that got away with it" because fuck evidence right.

Anyways back on topic, regardless of the outcome:

That is a fucking retarded statement as to why someone wouldn't rape anyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I agree that felons should not have firearms. However, I do not agree that felons should not be able to vote. And, I certainly don't agree with it being legal to deny a felon a job. What's the point of letting someone out of jail if they can never provide for themselves and their family? We should forgive and forget, and we would greatly improve recidivism figures.
    My issue is that not all felonies are violent. Tax evasion is a felony.

However, I may be ignorant to any fine details to that law, and it might only pertain to violent felons. I may need to be corrected on that if I am missing some information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Every "news outlet" that labels a POTENTIAL victim of a rape, which is NOT YET PROVEN in a court of law, as a "survivor", is not trustworthy, it's just your typical 3rd wave stupidism propaganda.
    That is a very good point which has been overlooked. Good call

My issue is that not all felonies are violent. Tax evasion is a felony.

However, I may be ignorant to any fine details to that law, and it might only pertain to violent felons. I may need to be corrected on that if I am missing some information.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a very good point which has been overlooked. Good call
    I am unaware of any distinction. I can see your side of the matter, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    The point still stands: Sex offender doesn't mean rapist. There are plenty of morally upstanding people who are sex offenders.
    No there are not. Just because you pee in public doesn't mean you end up on a sex offender registry. If there is an individual on a sex offender registry there is a REASON they are on that registry. Indecent exposure or public lewdness convictions where you end up on a sex offender registry has to involve incidents where an individual directly exposed themselves to a minor.

People don't just end up on sex offender registries for peeing in bushes, this is the height of paranoia.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    An 18 year old who has sex with a 17 year old "can" be tried as a sex offender.
    Depends where you live.
    California, Arizona, North Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin are the only states that have an AoC at 18 with no close-in-age exception that would result in a crime being committed. Every other state that would be legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Depends where you live.
    California, Arizona, North Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin are the only states that have an AoC at 18 with no close-in-age exception that would result in a crime being committed. Every other state that would be legal.
    That's why I wanted to accent the word "can". It isn't exactly common for it to happen as it is usually seen as within the range of age of consent.

And with that lets add another 10 years to his sentence.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No there are not. Just because you pee in public doesn't mean you end up on a sex offender registry. If there is an individual on a sex offender registry there is a REASON they are on that registry. Indecent exposure or public lewdness convictions where you end up on a sex offender registry has to involve incidents where an individual directly exposed themselves to a minor.

People don't just end up on sex offender registries for peeing in bushes, this is the height of paranoia.
    If you want to remain willfully ignorant of the way the world works, be my guest, but please don't force your mistaken beliefs on the rest of us.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    If you want to remain willfully ignorant of the way the world works, be my guest, but please don't force your mistaken beliefs on the rest of us.
    I went to law school, I have a feeling that I am better informed on this subject than you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right Said Fred was right all along

Yeah right dude. How would you feel if you had 2 young daughters only to realize that Billy next door is a convicted sex offender?
    I'd know who not to ask to babysit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    I'd know who not to ask to babysit.
    What about when your kids are walking home from school? You're gonna be comfortable with such individuals living closeby?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Actually if you read the story, it raises the question of why a registered sex offender is even allowed back onto the streets.
    Oh, what was his offense? "Sex offender" is an EXTREMELY broad label.

Just a few things that are considered "Sex Crimes" that force you to register as a "Sex Offender"

Masturbation anywhere that is considered a public place, including in your car.
    Urinating in public within a certain distance (don't know off the top of my head) from a school/playground/park.
    Having sex anywhere that is considered a public place, including in your car.
    Teenagers having consensual sex.
    Solicitation of prostitution.

So please, tell us exactly what this guy did. You seem to know more about him than what is written in the story.
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2016-12-07 at 11:53 PM.

What about when your kids are walking home from school? You're gonna be comfortable with such individuals living closeby?
    As long as they're masturbating behind closed doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Oh, what was his offense? "Sex offender" is an EXTREMELY broad label.
    Depending on where you live, you could end up on the registry for public urination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Yes it is. What isn't a common practice on the other hand is public registries for sex offenders. Information on criminal background or sentencing is often available upon special request (usually for a limited period of time), but public registries that essentially near guarantee that a person cannot reintegrate after completing his or her sentence is quite unusual.
    Yeh, as a father, I am torn on this. If we are letting out folks who we dont trust to be back around kids or what not....why are we letting them out?
    And if they are reformed why are they getting the scarlet letter treatment?

Seems unfair as shit.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    As long as they're masturbating behind closed doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on where you live, you could end up on the registry for public urination.
    Yeah, I edited my comment with just a few things that can cause you to have to register as a sex offender.