Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    More ON-TOPIC with this thread:

This is a great discussion video by SoupaSoka on YouTube, talking about the potential to legalize third-party Legacy Servers:
    https://youtu.be/iHZqzuzIZPk

Despite Blizzard saying they had to shut down Nost due to protecting their IP - which is completely understandable and necessary - one day they could *potentially* form a legal-agreement with select third-party server hosts. Essentially Everquest 1999 (the Vanilla version of Everquest) was able to be legally opened last year in 2015 and hosted by a third-party team in a non-profit manner - much like what Nost tried to do with Vanilla WoW.

Could something similar be ever done with WoW? Thoughts?

Quite interesting stuff.
    That's basically how it is with it being licensed in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    It is actually immersion breaking, The transmog idea removes the 4th wall, at it's very essence. If a person can't be seen wearing as what they are truly wearing, this is a major breakdown. From immersion. From RP.

It affects those looking for more, who want to size-up their potential groupie, and it also affects PVP'ers who can't see what their future opponent is actually wearing. It should be a mystery? I call bullshit.

If a player wants to hold an illusion, that would be fine .. except I don't have the option to turn illusions off.

I understand Blizzard would like to pat backsides on a job well done, but they don't really understand the strife they cause.
    And holding onto multiple sets of gear in a "magical backpack" isn't? I hear ya though, there's a line to be crossed, and for you it's been crossed. There're also system limitations to consider when addressing player needs, and to say "no you'll just have to deal with it, think of it as immersion!" wouldn't fly with the larger chunk of the audience.

Players were running out of bag space. This was the most elegant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not gonna happen because those private servers are illegal. Nothing illegal can be talked about in these forums, especially as related to Blizzard, as it could get the entire site shut down. Common policy on any server that illegal things can not be discussed.
    I doubt this. shut down by whom?

There is a good deal of cordiality between Blizzard and Curse.

Curse loves interviews & inside info on upcoming releases / patches. If they sanction a 3rd party topic discussion, will it deter future company insight? Probably, aye?

It's how it is. I'm one of the biggest pains around here (sic), trying to get Blizzard off their duff and act, all the while giving tribute to their uhhh.. rivals, for Blizzard's own game, one they left to collect dust.

As for illegal, I do see you like to flaunt that term around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Players were running out of bag space. This was the most elegant solution.
    Void storage ... perhaps could be implemented better...

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I think we need a seperate thread where all the talk about private servers can take place without getting infracted
    There won't be one, because talking about pirate servers is against the site's rules. It's not an arbitrary rule that works for this thread alone, no. It applies to the entire forum. If you want to discuss illegal servers, you'll have to go somewhere else.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt this.

Void storage ... perhaps could be implemented better...
    Considering that void storage came first, it reads like you're agreeing with me.

It is actually immersion breaking, The transmog idea removes the 4th wall, at it's very essence. If a person can't be seen wearing as what they are truly wearing, this is a major breakdown. From immersion. From RP.

It affects those looking for more, who want to size-up their potential groupie, and it also affects PVP'ers who can't see what their future opponent is actually wearing. It should be a mystery? I call bullshit.

If a player wants to hold an illusion, that would be fine .. except I don't have the option to turn illusions off.

I understand Blizzard would like to pat backsides on a job well done, but they don't really understand the strife they cause.
    I am a mage I think I can use magic to change appearance of my clothing and perhaps others.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Wah.......what?
    I still can't figure out what they were trying to say there.

Deleted
    This is a great discussion video by SoupaSoka on YouTube, talking about the potential to legalize third-party Legacy Servers:
    https://youtu.be/iHZqzuzIZPk
    Interesting and finally I get all the server names that get censored here...

Deleted
    hile it doesn't affect me in any way as I don't play in any private server, nor have any interest in playing an outdated version - it's obvious some people did.

And since it's not a matter of 'stealing' as it wasn't a direct competition, nor were they getting a profit out of the deal... I'm going to have to side with the "Blizzard did it cuz butthurt that people rather play an older, stale version than the Live version".

You gonna play the live version and enjoy their vision, gosh darn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw
    This is a great discussion video by SoupaSoka on YouTube, talking about the potential to legalize third-party Legacy Servers: https://youtu.be/iHZqzuzIZPk.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Interesting and finally I get all the server names that get censored here...
    Yeah, quite.

Some people might ask though: why would Blizzard not do it themselves? Why would Blizzard allow select third-party private server hosts, such as the Nost team, to host such private legacy realms?

I think the fundamental reason is that it would be a way for Blizzard to DISTANCE themselves from any issues. If the private server failed, or had some issues, Blizzard would simply cancel their agreement with the host and would not be held responsible for anything. Whereas if Blizzard hosted such servers/realms themselves, they'd have to provide constant support for the other WoW versions and spend resources that they otherwise wouldn't need to, should they make legal-agreements with third-party server hosts, i.e. like the Everquest 1999 project*.

Thus, it would be rather ideal for Blizzard to do something like this. This way if any of the private legacy server project failed they wouldn't have significant losses or be held accountable. Right?

*To people who don't know, the Everquest 1999 project is essentially the "vanilla" version of Everquest and it's legally run by a third-party private server in a non-profit volunteer-based manner.
    Last edited by Kynario; 2016-12-13 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Yeah, quite.

Some people might ask though: why would Blizzard not do it themselves? Why would Blizzard allow select third-party private server hosts, such as the Nost team, to host such private legacy realms?

I think the fundamental reason is that it would be a way for Blizzard to DISTANCE themselves from any issues. If the private server failed, or had some issues, Blizzard would simply cancel their agreement with the host and would not be held responsible for anything. Whereas if Blizzard hosted such servers/realms themselves, they'd have to provide constant support for the other WoW versions and spend resources that they otherwise wouldn't need to, should they make legal-agreements with third-party server hosts, i.e. like the Everquest 1999 project*.

Thus, it would be rather ideal for Blizzard to do something like this. This way if any of the private legacy server project failed they wouldn't have significant losses or be held accountable. Right?

*To people who don't know, the Everquest 1999 project is essentially the "vanilla" version of Everquest and it's legally run by a third-party private server in a non-profit volunteer-based manner.
    Blizzard will not license WoW to a third party. The brand is simply too valuable to them to allow anyone else to use it (China is different as there are significant barriers that make it difficult or impossible for a foreign company to operate in China).

Despite WoWs decline over the last six years or so it still has massive earning potential with income of $851million in 2015 not to mention that the WoW brand is inextricably linked to other successful Blizzard titles such as Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm.

Hosting and supporting realms is not a major issue Blizzard already provide this for several hundred realms. A third party operator would reduce the profit that Blizzard would receive from a legacy service as the third party would need to cover their expenses as well as make a profit. Unless they gave the third party access to WoW's code (which brings significant issues) Blizzard would still need to offer support to the third party.

Not only would a third party reduce Blizzard's profits it would take away a degree of control over their most prized asset thus introducing an element of risk that is not present if everything is kept in-house. Like it or not if a third party run legacy service failed it would be linked with Blizzard and WoW there is simply no way they would allow a third party to jeopardise the WoW brand.

As long as there are Blizzard titles bringing in several hundred million dollars each year using the WoW brand the only possible way for a legal legacy service is one run by Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Blizzard will not license WoW to a third party. The brand is simply too valuable to them to allow anyone else to use it (China is different as there are significant barriers that make it difficult or impossible for a foreign company to operate in China).

Despite WoWs decline over the last six years or so it still has massive earning potential with income of $851million in 2015 not to mention that the WoW brand is inextricably linked to other successful Blizzard titles such as Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm.

Hosting and supporting realms is not a major issue Blizzard already provide this for several hundred realms. A third party operator would reduce the profit that Blizzard would receive from a legacy service as the third party would need to cover their expenses as well as make a profit. Unless they gave the third party access to WoW's code (which brings significant issues) Blizzard would still need to offer support to the third party.

Not only would a third party reduce Blizzard's profits it would take away a degree of control over their most prized asset thus introducing an element of risk that is not present if everything is kept in-house. Like it or not if a third party run legacy service failed it would be linked with Blizzard and WoW there is simply no way they would allow a third party to jeopardise the WoW brand.

As long as there are Blizzard titles bringing in several hundred million dollars each year using the WoW brand the only possible way for a legal legacy service is one run by Blizzard.
    100% agree. wow is arguably the most profitable video game title ever. It may only be rivaled as a trademark by the donkey-kong derivates (over almost 40 years, as DK was released iirc in 1980. If one adds in all the coin-op operator revenue, I would think it would substantially increase the trademark's lifetime revenue, but not to nitendo). a/b is a fortune 500 co and any licensing idea is very dubious - and the notions that if it WERE to be done, it would be with a garage.inc org is just silly.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-12-13 at 02:43 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Fair enough, interesting points made, Pann. Makes a lot of sense too.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Excuse me...of all the aspects of the game i believe RP is one that benefits most from Transmog in all forms.

For immersion:You know what is Immersion breaking?a gnome using a sword that is twice its size without problem, magically summoning a Horse, be able to run half Kalimdor without rest.

Enchant a piece of armor to make it look like another piece of armor in a world where magic is a very present thing.Even if wasnt, you can always forge a armor/weapon with the X Look using the same materials.

The arguments agaisnt transmogs are so dumb honestly, its basically "People with crappy gear should look at people with good gear just to boost their ego".

Transmog allow a ton of roleplay possibilities, it make Old dungeons and raids relevant, you know, your precious legacy raids that NOBODY would go if wasnt for transmog and maybe progressing with low level alts.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Deleted
    Guys how many times do u have to be told by the mods that this is a place for discussing legacy wow and the possibilty of those realms, but every time i look at this thread it has dissolved into pointless arguments about transmog or some other irrelivent topic. stay on fucking topic guys. FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    a/b is a fortune 500 co and any licensing idea is very dubious - and the notions that if it WERE to be done, it would be with a garage.inc org is just silly.
    On a side note, you are probably already be aware of this, I read recently that the decision to move to Netease from The9 was in part due to EA buying into The9 and obviously Activision weren't best pleased at this. So it would appear that even where third party operators are unavoidable ATVI are very picky about who they choose to partner with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    On a side note, you are probably already be aware of this, I read recently that part of the decision to move to Netease from The9 was in part due to EA buying into The9 and obviously Activision weren't best pleased at this. So it would appear that even where third party operators are unavoidable ATVI are very picky about who they choose to partner with.

I did NOT know this.

that said, they negotiated higher royalty rate with netease (I have read substantially higher), and had greater geographic coverage from day 1 (new china subs high from the start and for a number of quarters sequentially).
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Since we are technically talking about gear.

Me is classic.
    "That gear looks awesome I wonder where he got it."
    "Molten core? Whats molten core?"
    "Whatever it wasnt that great anyway."
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I did NOT know this.

that said, they negotiated higher royalty rate with netease (I have read substantially higher), and had greater geographic coverage from day 1 (new china subs high from the start and for a number of quarters sequentially).
    The deal happened in 2007 with EA reportedly paying $167-200million for 15-19% (depending on which source you read) stake in The9.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah your server must have been a magical land full of kitties and rainbows. On the PvP server I was on horde was outnumbered about 8 to 1 and Alliance enjoyed farming people at the entrances to MC and BWL for hours at a time delaying raids that horde tried to start. Another fun time practice was that they enjoyed going to lower level horde areas and just smashing horde lowbies for an afternoon. It WAS all about kicking the one on the ground and keeping them there.

Stop the fairy tail crap, it was PvP on some servers and not hold each other's hands to try and get titles and share.
    There there... Crybaby :,)

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-12-13 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandraren3000 View Post
    There there... Crybaby :,)
    So you have no actual argument when you made a false statement and you just want to insult others? Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    Guys how many times do u have to be told by the mods that this is a place for discussing legacy wow and the possibilty of those realms, but every time i look at this thread it has dissolved into pointless arguments about transmog or some other irrelivent topic. stay on fucking topic guys. FFS
    Contact a moderator if you have issues and stop trying to take a moral high ground. We were discussing transmog and the ramifications on how it affected the current game compared to Legacy.