Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    Yea it would be nice if they stopped making mmo-champ more of a laughing stock than it already is.
    This site doesn't belong to Blizzard or even is a 'major news outlet'. This site has its own rules. Rules that many in the pro-legacy group have shat and spat on, for several pages, despite numerous requests from the moderators to stop mentioning or talking about illegal servers. The rest of the pro-legacy group, of course, turns a blind eye to it.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2016-12-20 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    We shouldn't be the ones to do the legwork for you. You made the claim, then you present the evidence. Basic logic.
    Man the information is there, they even have a app in their site that shows in real time the population and faction distribution currently online, you're the one that doesn't want to do the legwork, lazyness or denial, take a pick.
    Last edited by voidillusion; 2016-12-20 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Man the information is there, they even have a app in their site that shows in real time the population and faction distribution currently online, you're the one that doesn't want to do the legwork, lazyness or denial, take a pick.
    Please. Stop embarrassing yourself. The burden of proof is on the shoulders of the one that made the claim. You made the claim, you present the evidence. It's also quite ironic you accuse me of being 'lazy', when you are the one refusing to do your job and demanding others to do it for you.

Please. Stop embarrassing yourself. The burden of proof is on the shoulders of the one that made the claim. You made the claim, you present the evidence. It's also quite ironic you accuse me of being either 'lazy', when you are the one demanding others to do the work in your place.
    Lol you're just a ridiculous entity that refuses to google a site. Besides it's against the rules! Aren't you a forum rules adovcate?

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    Lol you're just a ridiculous entity that refuses to google a site.
    I'm "refusing" it because I simply have no reason to do it. It's not in my interests to back up your claims, which I'm contesting.

Besides it's against the rules! Aren't you a forum rules adovcate?
    Well, then, that's all on you. If you can't find a website with the evidence you need that doesn't break this forum's rules, that's your problem, not mine.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2016-12-20 at 05:46 AM.

I'm "refusing" it because I simply have no reason to do it. It's not in my interests to back up your claims, which I'm contesting.

Well, then, that's all on you. If you can't find a website with the evidence you need that doesn't break this forum's rules, that's your problem, not mine.
    Like this:

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php

It's still a shot in the dark but 1,733,862 isn't that good, no?

Deleted
    So what would be involved from Blizzard's side to get a server up?

Bear in mind:
    1.) No changes are needed to the client as 1.12.1 works as is
    2.) No art assets need updating, because they are all in the client.

So, what Blizzard need to do:

1.) Since they found the server code under the couch, they need to get that compiled on new hardware and a newer version of Linux, or if they want, compile that on a virtual machine that resembles the hardware and OS from 2006.

If they do decide to port the code to newer hardware and a modern Linux, it should take an experienced developer not more than 4 weeks to do. I am not nearly as talented as these superstar coders and I even I manage to port old open source projects in a few weeks.

So, IMHO, 4 weeks max to get server code compiled.

2.) Now the most time-consuming bit would be to rebuild the vanilla database with all the quests, etc. because apparently, this is now the bit that they don't have. Although, since anybody that is somebody uses version control for everything, I have a suspicion this data could be found under the same couch as the server code.

But, lets say they do have to create that all from scratch, then I don't see that taking about 3 designers longer than 12 months to accomplish.

3.) When all of the above is done, they are ready to launch and now they would need a team of 1 or 2 people to fix bugs and maintain.

Would all of this really cost them "millions" as some suggested in this thread?

Am I missing anything obvious here?

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    So what would be involved from Blizzard's side to get a server up?

Bear in mind:
    1.) No changes are needed to the client as 1.12.1 works as is
    2.) No art assets need updating, because they are all in the client.

So, what Blizzard need to do:

1.) Since they found the server code under the couch, they need to get that compiled on new hardware and a newer version of Linux, or if they want, compile that on a virtual machine that resembles the hardware and OS from 2006.

If they do decide to port the code to newer hardware and a modern Linux, it should take an experienced developer not more than 4 weeks to do. I am not nearly as talented as these superstar coders and I even I manage to port old open source projects in a few weeks.

So, IMHO, 4 weeks max to get server code compiled.

2.) Now the most time-consuming bit would be to rebuild the vanilla database with all the quests, etc. because apparently, this is now the bit that they don't have. Although, since anybody that is somebody uses version control for everything, I have a suspicion this data could be found under the same couch as the server code.

But, lets say they do have to create that all from scratch, then I don't see that taking about 3 designers longer than 12 months to accomplish.

3.) When all of the above is done, they are ready to launch and now they would need a team of 1 or 2 people to fix bugs and maintain.

Would all of this really cost them "millions" as some suggested in this thread?

Am I missing anything obvious here?
    Not forgetting setting it up to work with the modern Battle.net. WoW back then wasn't built for the Battle.net we have today. Also if you think Blizzard would release Vanilla as is with bugs and all then you would be mistaken. They would fix them. They have standards of quality to keep up with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Not forgetting setting it up to work with the modern Battle.net. WoW back then wasn't built for the Battle.net we have today. Also if you think Blizzard would release Vanilla as is with bugs and all then you would be mistaken. They would fix them. They have standards of quality to keep up with.
    Since the auth servers are separate entities, I don't believe there will be that much work to get them to talk to a new server. But I could be wrong.

On the bugs, Blizzard released vanilla before with all the bugs the client has currently in 1.12. I don't see a reason why they cannot launch it again as is and then iron out the remaining bugs as part of the normal maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Like this:

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php

It's still a shot in the dark but 1,733,862 isn't that good, no?
    This site is total crap. Not even 10% of servers have enough data to estimate something. They all have the message : WE NEED YOUR HELP!
    Too few Alliance and Horde entries for this realm. Submit data today!"

Deleted
    I wish World of Warcraft was like its music - As EPIC today as it was 12 years ago. I mean even the asian funky music during Pandaria was great and is still nice to listen.

and Vanilla or TBC give me chills

Since the auth servers are separate entities, I don't believe there will be that much work to get them to talk to a new server. But I could be wrong.

On the bugs, Blizzard released vanilla before with all the bugs the client has currently in 1.12. I don't see a reason why they cannot launch it again as is and then iron out the remaining bugs as part of the normal maintenance.
    Have you programmed like, literally anything in your life? Do you understand how impossibly contradictory your two statements are? Battle.net integration isn't nearly as easy as you dismissively believe and there isn't a shadow of a chance that Blizzard would release an unstable version of 1.12 which could potentially cause the entirety of the platform to fall apart. It would require many, many hours of development, likely almost as much as creating a new expansion (the developers have mentioned this). It would cause WoW's already incredibly fragmented playerbase to become even more fragmented. And for what? So a vocal minority of WoW players can enjoy WoW as it was twelve years ago for a few months as the game's retail community has a complete meltdown.

Cool story. The problem with pro-Legacy posts in this thread is that you refuse to even consider the possibility that there are potentially game breaking negative consequences to their introduction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raenor View Post
    I wish World of Warcraft was like its music - As EPIC today as it was 12 years ago. I mean even the asian funky music during Pandaria was great and is still nice to listen.

and Vanilla or TBC give me chills
    It is, just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean it isn't.
    Now please just go play on the other servers and leave us alone and this tread die out. please. You are getting worse then Vinari which is almost impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    It is, just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean it isn't.
    Now please just go play on the other servers and leave us alone and this tread die out. please. You are getting worse then Vinari which is almost impossible.
    It isn't, just because you see it that way doesn't mean it is.

Now please just go play on retail and leave us alone and this tread live on. please. You are getting worse than any other retailrd which is almost impossible.

Deleted
    Have you programmed like, literally anything in your life? Do you understand how impossibly contradictory your two statements are? Battle.net integration isn't nearly as easy as you dismissively believe and there isn't a shadow of a chance that Blizzard would release an unstable version of 1.12 which could potentially cause the entirety of the platform to fall apart. It would require many, many hours of development, likely almost as much as creating a new expansion (the developers have mentioned this). It would cause WoW's already incredibly fragmented playerbase to become even more fragmented. And for what? So a vocal minority of WoW players can enjoy WoW as it was twelve years ago for a few months as the game's retail community has a complete meltdown.
    I don't think the battle.net app does what you think it does. Also, do not forget wow has already been integrated to battle.net, so it is not as if blizzard had to start over (even thought it isn't a very complex task).

What is complex isn't the battle.net integration but rather the modification of the server infrastructure to allow for CRZ and cross realm dungeons, which isn't needed for wow vanilla.

Cool story. The problem with pro-Legacy posts in this thread is that you refuse to even consider the possibility that there are potentially game breaking negative consequences to their introduction.
    You re only finding issues for the sake of finding problems at this point. Except that s not very convincing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post

I have programmed some, yes. Like I said I am not a superstar coder as those that work for Blizzard. Do you work for them so that you know that "Battle.net integration isn't nearly as easy"? For all I know, it may be super easy or incredibly complex. I don't know which though, but is seems you have inside information?

How many hours would it require to fix 1.12.1 bugs? Do you know or is it just "many, many"?

Things is, we don't know, unless you work for Blizzard.
    Last edited by mmocc955237267; 2016-12-20 at 10:54 AM.

I'm not even going to bother replying to the first portion of your post since it's so impossibly wrong that I don't even know where to begin. I don't care to repeat myself or what others have said but what you're implicating has already been discussed, at length, multiple times throughout this thread. You are wrong on every account.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    You re only finding issues for the sake of finding problems at this point. Except that s not very convincing.
    "Finding issues for the sake of finding issues"? If you honestly believe introducing something as divisive as Legacy realms to a community that already argues incessantly about every stupid fucking feature of this game wouldn't somehow cause it to become even more polarized, I don't know what to tell you. I really wish I could delude myself with nostalgia enough to drink that Kool-Aid but the better part of my conscience knows that this isn't the likely outcome.

Deleted

... should somebody tell this guy about things like Warcaft 2 battlenet edition? or that Warcraft 3 was impelemented into battlenet not so long ago?

I'm not argueing that introduction of legacy realm could divide the community now - it most certianly would because vanilla was and is awesome - but please don't tell anybody this crap about it being not easy to implement from a technical point. If you are a crappy programmer then blame yourself, we are talking about professionals.

I have programmed some, yes. Like I said I am not a superstar coder as those that work for Blizzard. Do you work for them so that you know that "Battle.net integration isn't nearly as easy"? For all I know, it may be super easy or incredibly complex. I don't know which though, but is seems you have inside information?

How many, many hours would it require to fix 1.12.1 bugs? Do you know or is it just "many, many"?

Things is, we don't know, unless you work for Blizzard.
    I'm going to try to write this as calmly as I can since lord knows I've already been infracted enough for arguing with people in this thread: This topic has already been discussed extensively. It's one of the many tropes which crop up in this thread every hundred or so pages. I'm not going to repeat it because I don't really care to start the whole "how hard is it to integrate Battle.net servers" circlejerk. It's all incredibly boring and I quite frankly don't give a shit enough to find the posts myself.

Deleted
    I'm going to try to write this as calmly as I can since lord knows I've already been infracted enough for arguing with people in this thread: This topic has already been discussed extensively. It's one of the many tropes which crop up in this thread every hundred or so pages. I'm not going to repeat it because I don't really care to start the whole "how hard is it to integrate Battle.net servers" circlejerk. It's all incredibly boring and I quite frankly don't give a shit enough to find the posts myself.
    Ah, so you don't know either. That is ok, I guess it is not possible to really know if you don't work for Blizzard.