Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Why do we need new AFO?
    The current ones were built in the 1970s...

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Hmm, what did Trump give him in return? That's oddly left out of the article.
    Probably promised him some big defense contract in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Hmm, what did Trump give him in return? That's oddly left out of the article.
    I'm not sure what you expect that to be? Maybe a truck full of diamonds?

I would guess they each get good PR, and Boeing gets to not have the president pissed at them when they bid on big money defense contracts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This article is devoid of substance.
    They have a person quoted on the record. It doesn't get any more substantive than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Because the contract was never for 4 billion dollars.
    Yes it was. That came out as true like the day after the tweet story day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    These new AF1's were budgeted for $1.65 billion last year....Did the budget inflate by 350 million for both replacement planes to make this news worthy?

The $1.65 billion budget for the next Air Force One is expected to grow, but significant delays may be a bigger concern than a cost overrun

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-three/385037/
    Two planes guy. Dos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The current ones were built in the 1970s...
    I don't really keep up with the state of AFO so lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pane34 View Post
    Until a contract is signed and awarded, there is no number. It's all talking heads and people throwing numbers with no earthly idea (Congress, Air Force, News, Trump, etc).

Until a contract has been baselined, and a monthly performance report given, there is no overrun.
    Until the sun comes up, you can't know that it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two planes guy. Dos.
    Which still puts it at $3.3 billion -- A number that was already handled well in advance of this "meeting". In fact I covered it after that quoted post.

Hell even in the quoted post the price per plane would have to inflate by more than 350 million to be considered saving money like the OP was trying to make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I don't really keep up with the state of AFO so lol
    I don't either. I just happened to read the news that day it was being discussed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Which still puts it at $3.3 billion -- A number that was already handled well in advance of this "meeting". In fact I covered it after that quoted post.
    Someone already linked the article confirming it. I don't know why you are standing your ground over an NBC report. They should be sufficiently biased your way or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    NBC Nightly NewsVerified account
    ‏@NBCNightlyNews

US Air Force official: Price of new Air Force One project expected to be more than $4B by time aircraft delivered - @ckubeNBC

9:01 AM - 6 Dec 2016

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/s...81893884493824
    Psssst.

This new "deal" will likely have price and schedule blowouts like everything does. Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up over $4b in the final analysis anyway. Welcome to big business AND big government.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Did they all stop being republicans after Bush or something?
    I think there's two things going on:

1) "Trump supporters" ie Trump's actual enthusiastic core is different to regular institutional Republicans as we will see in the next four years as he has to fight his own party to get any of his promises actioned.

2) Lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    The Donald saving the country money through tweets, meanwhile in other parts of the world Obama is doing this:
    "Now watch this drive".

Hey, you're the ones who made him a lame duck. What do you want him doing, issuing more executive orders Trump promised to repeal?

But you know, not to spoil your narrative but he's actually been doing things like using the "red phone" to warn Putin about all those hacks:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ssian-hacking/

Banning arctic drilling:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/20/po...n-obama-trump/

And of course issuing all those pardons:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...dons/95615810/

Which you'd know from one look at google, or paying the slightest attention to the threads on this very forum.

You're going to get tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticSoul View Post
    Can't even give credit when it's due, lol.
    Because there's no credit to give, nothing has happened.

Super looking forward to 4 years of Trump taking credit for stuff that had nothing to do with him and declaring non victories.

It looks like all you have to do to troll the posters here, is link a positive Trump story. This is just hilarious to watch. If you linked a story where Trump walked a little old lady across the street, you jokers would say he stole her wallet out of her purse on the way. Most partisan people ever....

Yes it was. That came out as true like the day after the tweet story day.
    The details of the contract are probably complex, and I don't know if they're publicly available. But the Air Force budget was $2.87b, but added to that was a significant amount estimated (from the Teal Group plus "experts") due to the usual project blowouts.

The Air Force has published a budgetary document that says research, development, testing and evaluation of the new Air Force Ones -- officially known as the Presidential Aircraft Recapitalization -- will cost $2.87 billion between fiscal years 2015 and 2021. However, the project is expected to extend beyond 2021, and experts told PolitiFact it would likely require another $1 billion in subsequent years to finish the job. The Teal Group has estimated that the project will require an additional $858 million between fiscal years 2022 and 2026.

That adds up to a grand total of $3.73 billion over 12 years. That’s not "more than $4 billion," as Trump said, but it’s reasonably close -- and it’s no secret that defense contracts have a history of escalating in cost over time. Already, in response to inquiries from the media after Trump’s tweet, an Air Force spokesman told reporters to expect the interim $2.7 billion figure "to change as the program matures."

So as a raw number, Trump’s $4 billion figure is in the ballpark.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-force-one-bo/

So that was an estimate really. Maybe the Boeing CEO just convinced him that the blowout estimates were too much; these were phantom numbers all along.

But what Trump really wanted was to throw Boeing stock into a freefall so this guy would give him some free publicity, that's what this is REALLY about. He's about to blow $25b on a useless wall, like he gives a shit about shaving a few percent off a $2-4b plane contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But what Trump really wanted was to throw Boeing stock into a freefall so this guy would give him some free publicity, that's what this is REALLY about. He's about to blow $25b on a useless wall, like he gives a shit about shaving a few percent off a $2-4b plane contract.
    It will be worth every penny, I still doubt it will ever get built though.

It looks like all you have to do to troll the posters here, is link a positive Trump story. This is just hilarious to watch. If you linked a story where Trump walked a little old lady across the street, you jokers would say he stole her wallet out of her purse on the way. Most partisan people ever....
    Politician pretends to renegotiate contract, claims he saved the taxpayer millions but in reality the costs savings claimed probably never would've happened.

If you haven't seen that one before, man you have not been watching politics long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Politician pretends to renegotiate contract, claims he saved the taxpayer millions but in reality the costs savings claimed probably never would've happened.

If you haven't seen that one before, man you have not been watching politics long.
    The fact he even cared is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It will be worth every penny, I still doubt it will ever get built though.
    To do what? Net Mexican immigration to the US is negative.

Do you want the wall to keep them in?

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha, okay if you thought he cared then that's a whole new level of being suckered.

But man, that's hilarious. Sure he didn't actually do anything useful for the country but it's the thought that counts :P

Why do you assume he cares? If he actually cared about government expenses he's going about doing something about it in the most meaningless way.

It will be funny when the new AFO gets taken down by Terrorists because they left out almost everything to make it that cheap. Should be funny when Trump goes down in a foreign country... and no one gives a shit what happens to him. It will serve him right.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.