Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Level Scaling should be OPTIONAL in the future

Now I know automated level sharing has mixed opinions and I understand the way Legion is that automated level scaling is needed BUT I hope if Blizzard insists on using this technology in future expansions they make it optional like in Witcher III. The reason why i'm not a huge fan is because I enjoy returning to old content to solo dungeons and raids or even to just experience the story from another factions pov rapidly (e.g. i'm currently going through previous expansions as Alliance and enjoy zerging through the mobs. Another reason is RP, in Legion for example we're limited on RP locations due to mobs and aggro. I also miss the variety of having zones by level. In Vanilla, WotLK and Cataclysm we would occasionally have the choice of 2 or 3 zones of our level thus opening a new levelling route for alts. In theory Legion let's us choose which zones but it ultimately still feels linear due to us needing to visit every zone regardless.

Obviously if Blizzard continue with WQs then they need to scale but I do feel beyond that it should be completely optional

Cool blog post bro

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-12-30 at 03:10 AM.

Why should it be? The consequence of the zones as they were was that, unless you were charging through the content with no sleep, rested xp inevitably meant you'd outlevel the zones and they'd become less fun as you just 1-shot everything.

I say the exact opposite: Level scaling everywhere, not optional. Maybe up to a point, like 1-60 zones scale up to level 60 then stop, et cetera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Now I know automated level sharing has mixed opinions and I understand the way Legion is that automated level scaling is needed BUT I hope if Blizzard insists on using this technology in future expansions they make it optional like in Witcher III. The reason why i'm not a huge fan is because I enjoy returning to old content to solo dungeons and raids or even to just experience the story from another factions pov rapidly (e.g. i'm currently going through previous expansions as Alliance and enjoy zerging through the mobs. Another reason is RP, in Legion for example we're limited on RP locations due to mobs and aggro. I also miss the variety of having zones by level. In Vanilla, WotLK and Cataclysm we would occasionally have the choice of 2 or 3 zones of our level thus opening a new levelling route for alts. In theory Legion let's us choose which zones but it ultimately still feels linear due to us needing to visit every zone regardless.

Obviously if Blizzard continue with WQs then they need to scale but I do feel beyond that it should be completely optional
    I'd like to see Timewalking Raids like we saw with Wows 10 year anniversary. I'd be good with a rotating weekly quest to complete a Time-walking raid once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Why should it be? The consequence of the zones as they were was that, unless you were charging through the content with no sleep, rested xp inevitably meant you'd outlevel the zones and they'd become less fun as you just 1-shot everything.

I say the exact opposite: Level scaling everywhere, not optional. Maybe up to a point, like 1-60 zones scale up to level 60 then stop, et cetera.
    Ya having "expansion-specific" caps I think is realistic for older content stuff.

yes please forced leveling scaling is my number 1 issue with WoW currently. I despise it with a passion, and if they continue to use it, i see no point in adding character levels, which means there is no point in bonuses, or side quest imo. Just gives us the lore quest and be done with it. I'm sure that sounds great to some buy i hate it

I dont have to have to go back to westfall and deal with all the mobs now being 110 or 120... doesn't make sense.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I hate level scaling and is the reason I never got into the Elder Scrolls games. If I level up and get stronger, but so do all the enemies, then what's the point of leveling in the first place?

Level scaling is a stupid concept.
    If Blizzard wish to implement it, I'd prefer they simply remove the whole "level" idea from the game entirely. Would be more elegant, simpler and less absurd.

Yup. Make every zone scale. Its wonderful in Guild Wars.

Deleted

You didn't outlevel zones in vanilla and TBC. They boosted exp gain in retired zones AFTER they were relevant so new characters can hit the current content faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Perr View Post
    I hate level scaling and is the reason I never got into the Elder Scrolls games. If I level up and get stronger, but so do all the enemies, then what's the point of leveling in the first place?
    The entire point of the game is to see new worlds and kill new monsters. Scaling helps this. Gear drops from older zones would match you levels, content and dungeons would match you level. Scaling means you can see and do everything with matching rewards.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    no it shouldnt, it should be the opposite. They should apply level scaling in brackets to the entire game (1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100) or even better, level scaling and a level squish.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

For PVE zones i think its one of the best things that has been implemented in a long time, and for RP i would have thought it would be even more loved.

How would it make sense if Azsuna were a 100-102 zone to be able to stand there as a max level toon and have a bear maul you and do no damage?

Also miss the variety? You can level in any zone at any level over 100... how does that reduce variety? And you don't need to visit each zone... My 3rd and 4th toon i did it only in 2 zones. Instances i get it, but that does have an on-off switch, queue for at level run there for low level.

This sounds as nonsensical as quitting over legendaries. Maybe i don't get it, but i just don't get it...
    Demo is fine... play better.

Less fun for you maybe, but there is a healthy chunk of people who don't care about leveling at all. I still view it as a pointless process, a series of hoops to jump through, just so I can start playing the real game. It's absolutely fun to run through a zone and 1 shot everything. I'm fine with a more Diablo approach, I blow through the trash mobs and have a little more fight time with the mini bosses.

I'm all for it being optional. You want it on, you got it. I want it off, I got it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietrik View Post
    For PVE zones i think its one of the best things that has been implemented in a long time, and for RP i would have thought it would be even more loved.

How would it make sense if Azsuna were a 100-102 zone to be able to stand there as a max level toon and have a bear maul you and do no damage?

Also miss the variety? You can level in any zone at any level over 100... how does that reduce variety? And you don't need to visit each zone... My 3rd and 4th toon i did it only in 2 zones. Instances i get it, but that does have an on-off switch, queue for at level run there for low level.

This sounds as nonsensical as quitting over legendaries. Maybe i don't get it, but i just don't get it...
    Because when you're RPing you don't want to be aggroing anything. Like I said if it's optional everybody wins, you can play Azsuna with 110 mobs and I at 100-102 mobs

You didn't outlevel zones in vanilla and TBC. They boosted exp gain in retired zones AFTER they were relevant so new characters can hit the current content faster.
    You sure did out level zones in BC. Arathi you could out level half of the zone while still being on those dog shit quests there.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account

Pretty much this. I really hope, that Blizzard makes scaling work on all previous content. They could maybe make it so, that every expansion scales within itself, so vanilla content is 1-60, TBC 60-70 and so on. It would improve the leveling experience by quite alot and make non-dungeon finder leveling a much better alternative
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Because when you're RPing you don't want to be aggroing anything. Like I said if it's optional everybody wins, you can play Azsuna with 110 mobs and I at 100-102 mobs
    The flipside is you have people turn it off and farm the crap out of mats. If you really want to RP there are hundreds of places to go.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Less fun for you maybe, but there is a healthy chunk of people who don't care about leveling at all. I still view it as a pointless process, a series of hoops to jump through, just so I can start playing the real game. It's absolutely fun to run through a zone and 1 shot everything. I'm fine with a more Diablo approach, I blow through the trash mobs and have a little more fight time with the mini bosses.

I'm all for it being optional. You want it on, you got it. I want it off, I got it.
    That mindset is the problem. Previous expansion content is still part of the REAL game. It's immensely wasteful to have all that content treated as garbage that shouldn't even need touched, let alone kept challenging and relevant to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelDude View Post
    The entire point of the game is to see new worlds and kill new monsters. Scaling helps this. Gear drops from older zones would match you levels, content and dungeons would match you level. Scaling means you can see and do everything with matching rewards.
    I've already seen all the zones and all the monsters. If I want to take my max level character and go do some mining or herbing or whatever in a low level zone, I don't want to have to stop and fight lvl 110 boars every 30 seconds.