Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Horde Cops increasingly reluctant to use force or question suspects

https://news.vice.com/story/cops-say...e-or-use-force

A majority of police officers say the reaction to high-profile incidents of police violence in recent years has made their jobs harder, according to a new Pew Research Center study.

The online survey of nearly 8,000 officers in the U.S., conducted for Pew by the National Police Research Platform, shows how police view their jobs and communities amid public calls for policing reforms:

75 percent of officers said high-profile police shootings have increased tensions between police officers and African-Americans in their communities;
    72 percent said they are less willing to stop and question suspicious-seeming people;
    76 percent said they are now more reluctant to use force when it’s appropriate.

The survey doesn’t link these views to the documented rise in homicides since 2015, and researchers have questioned whether there is a connection.

The survey also showed divides between police opinion and public opinion: Most officers said fatal police encounters with black people are isolated incidents, while the public has mostly said they indicate a bigger problem. Police were also less likely than members of the public to say more changes are needed to achieve racial equality.

If you follow the rules you shouldn't be worried about the consequences. It's when we have cops who are mistreating suspects or even worse, shooting without cause, then the issue arises.

Let's hope this doesn't end up like Rotherham.

Fun Facts:

1) I've been pulled over doing 96 in a 45, passing 3 cars simultaneously in a no passing zone (<3 third gear). The road has no shoulder, just 1 lane each side, in order to find somewhere safe to pull over I had to drive about 4 minutes (flashers on, driving slow) before pulling over into a closed catering place. To add to it I had an army of cops pull up when I pulled over. I didn't end up dead or get the book thrown at me because I was respectful and courteous to the cop.

2) Thanksgiving eve many years ago I was pulled over outside of a local bar, dragged out of my car and accused of drunk driving. I offered simply to take a breathalizer on the spot ( I hadn't drank that night at all), they refused and forced me to parade around doing all sorts of sobriety tests for about 20 minutes that I easily passed.

I was let go with no tickets or any issues because I was courteous and respectful to the cops, when I would have been justified in pushing back.

I was raised that you treat the law with respect and that you fight your battles in court not on the street. Here I am today not dead or in jail and a relatively productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Fun Facts:

1) I've been pulled over doing 96 in a 45, passing 3 cars simultaneously in a no passing zone (<3 third gear). The road has no shoulder, just 1 lane each side, in order to find somewhere safe to pull over I had to drive about 4 minutes (flashers on, driving slow) before pulling over into a closed catering place. To add to it I had an army of cops pull up when I pulled over. I didn't end up dead or get the book thrown at me because I was respectful and courteous to the cop.

2) Thanksgiving eve many years ago I was pulled over outside of a local bar, dragged out of my car and accused of drunk driving. I offered simply to take a breathalizer on the spot ( I hadn't drank that night at all), they refused and forced me to parade around doing all sorts of sobriety tests for about 20 minutes that I easily passed.

I was let go with no tickets or any issues because I was courteous and respectful to the cops, when I would have been justified in pushing back.

I was raised that you treat the law with respect and that you fight your battles in court not on the street. Here I am today not dead or in jail and a relatively productive member of society.
    see just be nice and 99% of the time you'll be on your way.

yet they always resist the cops and badmouth them and wonder why they get beat and shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun Facts:

Are you a minority? Because clearly there is a big difference in how the Cops treat you based on how you look.

Well on our way to anarchy. Which is what BLM or rather its backers wanted in the first place.

Soft on crime/criminals does nothing but hurt society.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://news.vice.com/story/cops-say...e-or-use-force

If you follow the rules you shouldn't be worried about the consequences. It's when we have cops who are mistreating suspects or even worse, shooting without cause, then the issue arises.
    It has increased shootouts with the black community? Hahaha! Damn! Way to prove the wrong people right, black community!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the key thing.

The police have the power when they're out in public. Is what a lot of them do, wrong? Yes, yes it is. But pick your battles wisely. It's not worth your life to resist when you can document and take it to court later.

Fun Facts:

You need to realize that this, along with most of what else you said, has another factor in it you don't seem to understand. You may have just gotten lucky and had cops deal with you who aren't on the verge of losing their shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are you a minority? Because clearly there is a big difference in how the Cops treat you based on how you look.
    I know some friends who have been racially profiled. A friend of mine is regularly pulled over on the way to work for things like "changing lanes too slowly" and racks up a few hundred a month in tickets. She's taking it to court. Rather than be stupid and resist and fight the police at the time, she's being smart, collecting the evidence, and will see her day in the justice system instead of in a coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This is the key thing.

The police have the power when they're out in public. Is what a lot of them do, wrong? Yes, yes it is. But pick your battles wisely. It's not worth your life to resist when you can document and take it to court later.
    The old saying goes: "You may beat the ticket, but you won't beat the ride"

This is what happens when you try and prove you are "right" on the side of the road with a cop. The concept that the shoulder of a road is not a court house is just flat lost on some people.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the key thing.

Is it that easy to take the battle to court without enough money?

- - - Updated - - -

I know some friends who have been racially profiled. A friend of mine is regularly pulled over on the way to work for things like "changing lanes too slowly" and racks up a few hundred a month in tickets. She's taking it to court. Rather than be stupid and resist and fight the police at the time, she's being smart, collecting the evidence, and will see her day in the justice system instead of in a coffin.
    I mean, yay for her not being shot for "changing lanes too slowly" but wtf is going on over there?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Depends on the ticket. I've never had to pay for court appearances for the few tickets I've ever got.

I mean, yay for her not being shot for "changing lanes too slowly" but wtf is going on over there?!
    We're not sure. When her white wife takes her to work, they never get pulled over. When she goes alone it's a few times a week.

In most cases? Absolutely.

While not related to the criminal justice system, I did represent myself in a civil case. After speaking just a few sentences to the company's attorney the case was dismissed with prejudice. I beat a civil lawsuit with 1 hour on Google.

I'm not saying to ignore the old saying "someone who represents themselves has a fool for a client" - but if it is a minor ticket or something similar a bit of education goes a long way.

Fun Facts:

Exactly, it's like these people always wanting to talk about cancer. I don't have cancer, so clearly cancer doesn't exist...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Soft on crime/criminals does nothing but hurt society.
    Your post history, where you brag about raping your unconscious wife, is still there for anyone to see.

Care to rethink your ignorant statements on crime?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

We're not sure. When her white wife takes her to work, they never get pulled over. When she goes alone it's a few times a week.
    You mean when someone else is driving the car, they don't get stopped for those things? What a fucking concept! Maybe she just can't fucking drive properly? I know, I know, it has to be a Race Thing (tm).

And I seriously doubt she's getting pulled over "a few times per week", and a "few hundred per month in tickets"; if she was getting that many tickets, her insurance rates would be in the 1000s per month by now. So please spare the sensationalism.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the ticket. I've never had to pay for court appearances for the few tickets I've ever got.
    Still you have to pay first and get your money back later, for something you haven´t done? Great system o_O

That sounds terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    You need to realize that this, along with most of what else you said, has another factor in it you don't seem to understand. You may have just gotten lucky and had cops deal with you who aren't on the verge of losing their shit.
    You think he was lucky? You know how many people are pulled over in the US everyday? I'd call it normal encounter with a cop. The vast majority of times it's peaceful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    You mean when someone else is driving the car, they don't get stopped for those things? What a fucking concept! Maybe she just can't fucking drive properly? I know, I know, it has to be a Race Thing (tm).

And I seriously doubt she's getting pulled over "a few times per week", and a "few hundred per month in tickets"; if she was getting that many tickets, her insurance rates would be in the 1000s per month by now. So please spare the sensationalism.
    Exactly.. Maybe these people that get pulled over just can't fucking drive. It's like.. "I got racially profiled and got pulled over".. Did you just rob a bank? Yeah.. but I obviously got pulled over for my race not for the thing I did.