Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Babies should make way for wheelchairs?

Disabled travellers have claimed a "significant" victory at the Supreme Court in a battle for priority use of wheelchair spaces on buses.

The ruling means that bus drivers will have to do more to ensure wheelchair users can get on buses, by pressuring non-wheelchair users to move from the designated wheelchair space.

The court ruled that bus operator FirstGroup's policy of requiring a driver to simply request a non-wheelchair user to vacate the space without taking any further steps was unjustified.

Lord Neuberger, the Supreme Court's president, said that if non-wheelchair user's unreasonably refused the request, the driver should consider further action to pressure the non-wheelchair user to vacate the space, depending on the circumstances.

Following the decision, wheelchair user Doug Paulley, who brought the case, said he was "absolutely delighted" and that the judgment marked "a significant cultural change".

The case began when Mr Paulley attempted to board a FirstGroup-operated bus but was left at the bus stop after a woman with a sleeping baby in a pram refused to move from the wheelchair area.
    The rest of the article on ITV...

...and on Evening Standard.

Now in general I support the idea that people should move out of the wheelchair area. But prams can generally only use the same space on most buses. Do you think wheelchair users should take priority over babies? Do you agree with the notion that first come, first served does not apply here?

I do not.

Deleted
    I'm a wheelchair user

Babies can be put on your lap and the pram folded, wheelchair users can't

10+ Year Old Account
    Does having a baby let you park in a handicapped spot with a car?

Why should a bus be any different?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they should take priority! As Adam said, a baby can be put on your lap and the pram folded down. Wheelchair users can't.

You're pretty silly to think a pram should take priority over a wheelchair in a WHEELCHAIR AREA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe they had to go to court for this. Most of the time I see these places used by the parents with prams but they move if someone needs it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Babies should have priority because they will actually be productive at some point Joking of course

Deleted
    I actually experience this a lot with trains... Mothers with prams and people with bicycles. I even had a mother barge past me once whilst climbing the ramp up, fortunately the train (person?) saw and made her move

Yeah, here on buses, moms have to hold the baby and the baby carriage goes in the isle. Nice people will often hold onto the carriage for mom. Moms don't get the handicapped spot unless it's empty.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MannDuo View Post
    Of course they should take priority! As Adam said, a baby can be put on your lap and the pram folded down. Wheelchair users can't.
    If you were a parent, would you wake your sleeping child for this?

I have to add that around here these spaces are designated for both wheelchairs and prams - I'm used to both having the privilege over all others but there being no difference between them.

Edit: Also, not all prams fold neatly, though I made sure back in the day we have one that does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I think wheelchair bound people should take priority over mothers/children and the carriage thing. If mothers are that concerned over it they should have one that folds up easily and place the child in their lap.

Yes because babies are parasites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    If you were a parent, would you wake your sleeping child for this?

I have to add that around here these spaces are designated for both wheelchairs and prams - I'm used to both having the privilege over all others but there being no difference between them.

Edit: Also, not all prams fold neatly, though I made sure back in the day we have one that does.
    If I was a parent I would accept my child may need to be awoken when using public transportation

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I'm a wheelchair user

I have seen dozens of people walk their wheel chair onto the train then sit in it. While most can't do that plenty can. Making blanket statements about who can or can't do certain things is a bit naive. Each case goes to extremes, I have also seen 3 ppl in wheelchairs take up 12 to 14 seat in some cases leaving a dozen people to wait for the next line.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    The rest of the article on ITV...

...and on Evening Standard.

Now in general I support the idea that people should move out of the wheelchair area. But prams can generally only use the same space on most buses. Do you think wheelchair users should take priority over babies? Do you agree with the notion that first come, first served does not apply here?

I do not.
    The person in the wheelchair cannot walk or stand. A baby in a stroller cannot walk or stand.

To me, they are equal and should both be treated the same in regards to a spot on the bus.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who bring prams to overly crowded places are the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. people choose to have babies, nobody chooses to be disabled and wheelchair bound. If you want a baby, be prepared to carry one on your lap. I've even had to do it with my nephews on a busy bus into town, and if an uncle can hold his nephew in his lap without any problems why can't these bloody women with their government paid for prams do it.
    #boycottchina

The only reason I wouldn't move as a parent is if I was being made to hold my child while standing. It isn't uncommon for people on trains/busses to be selfish pricks and not let a parent holding an infant take a seat.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I have seen dozens of people walk their wheel chair onto the train then sit in it. While most can't do that plenty can. Making blanket statements about who can or can't do certain things is a bit naive. Each case goes to extremes, I have also seen 3 ppl in wheelchairs take up 12 to 14 seat in some cases leaving a dozen people to wait for the next line.
    Every babies can be taken out of a pram
    Every wheelchair users cannot get out of a wheelchair

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    People who bring prams to overly crowded places are the worst.
    yep, especially when they jut them out into the aisles and on both sides and trying to squeeze past them to get off causes the women to look at you like you shit in their shoe. silly bitches like that don't deserve respect for anyone.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The person in the wheelchair cannot walk or stand. A baby in a stroller cannot walk or stand.

To me, they are equal and should both be treated the same in regards to a spot on the bus.
    Except a wheelchair user can't sit on somebodies lap