Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    It's aimed at everyone not of the ethnicity in the country, just FYI.
    I dunno, I sort of suspect that hating Mexicans would leave most Japanese pretty indifferent. However, when you ask yourself ''what kind of foreigners Japanese rabid ultranationalist hate and try to drum out support against''....

They also use the ''rapist'' argument against them, for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That's cute the assumption that Japanese racists would somehow hate (inexistant) Mexicans but love Americans

Presumably because in the minds of the alt-right, Asians are submissive and in awe of whites. Not to mention the fact that even back in the day of the good old CSA, the fireeaters were screaming incoherently about ''miscegenation'', but that only included dangerous Blacks attacking white girls-planters fathering children with their female slaves was a-okay)

IE, the alt right, while screaming ''rapefugees'' is also the kind of loser that imagine that foreign girls would be submissive with them. IE, they need to take medication when they see a white girl with a foreigner (I'm going to saying it flat out, I'm quite sure that many people screaming ''rapefugees'' are not caring that much about the lack of consent), but them going to sex spots in Thailand, that's not the same thing....
    You go on a lot of weird, paranoid rants. This doesn't seem like it has anything to do with anything.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I get it. Just seems like a double standard.
    How is it a double standard?

One is helpful.
    The other serves no purpose than for imaginary morals/principles that give only a funny feeling in your tummy. Hardly serving your country.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

I dunno, I sort of suspect that hating Mexicans would leave most Japanese pretty indifferent. However, when you ask yourself ''what kind of foreigners Japanese rabid ultranationalist hate and try to drum out support against''....

They also use the ''rapist'' argument against them, for the record.
    I've lived here for some time. I've seen my fair share of racism against just about every ethnicity that exists and experienced it myself for being a korean guy living here. Nobody is exempted, if you're not japanese you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The US has a shit ton of space. Japan does not.
    People keep saying this, but it's kind of an odd claim in context. Refugees aren't typically settled to Wyoming or North Dakota. The two largest settlement places off the top of my head are probably Houston and Minneapolis. A quick check reveals that Minneapolis is ~2.5X as dense as Nagasaki, which has a similar population. I don't hear a lot of people saying that Minneapolis is just full up, can't take any more people, but apparently Nagasaki is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So...travel is new? We have had boats a pretty long time; airplanes too. We didn't do this during the Iraq war, for example. We had boats and planes then too.
    It's not like the refugees are using their smartphones to play Candy Crush. Modern communication makes it much easier to get out than just blindly meandering in long columns like people used to do fleeing wars.

There is no attempt to preserve ethnic purity though.
    Why the restrictive immigration policies if not for that? Is it really because Japanese people are SO GODDAMN EPIC that no outsider could possibly have the skills to compete in their society?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    How is it a double standard?

One is helpful.
    The other serves no purpose than for imaginary morals/principles that give only a funny feeling in your tummy. Hardly serving your country.
    I meant a double standard like it is OK for Japan or Switzerland to have strict immigration and citizenship laws, but if the US does it we are heartless racists.

We cant help everyone. Sure educated immigrants that are ready for the workplace great. A majority of my employees fall under this category. But I am wary of letting people in that would drain our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Why the restrictive immigration policies if not for that? Is it really because Japanese people are SO GODDAMN EPIC that no outsider could possibly have the skills to compete in their society?
    Because immigration is supposed to be beneficial. You're not supposed to lose out by having immigration which laxer immigration policies results in.

I've lived here for some time. I've seen my fair share of racism against just about every ethnicity that exists and experienced it myself for being a korean guy living here. Nobody is exempted, if you're not japanese you're screwed.
    I meant that they rabidly hate Koreans and Chinese (several time, FTR) but presumably it would be very hard to drum up hatred in Japan against the Mexicans, who are not really present in Japan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'll pick you out of the dozen people all applauding the idea of turning down refugees: why?

Why are you against it? What are the logical, objective reasons to deny aid to anyone outside of the country?
    It doesn't help anyone, it doesn't solve any problems. It's a band-aid fix to a war. It's expensive and money is a relatively finite resource, so every new refugee takes away aid from the one that came before.
    It's internationally mandated, which pushes skeptical nations to the right side of the political spectrum in protest.
    It devalues the concept of national borders and the nation state. Doesn't matter to you if you're a eurocrat, but there are people who are more proud of their nation than they are of the European superstate.
    It devalues law and order, as they're condemned by the international society if they don't let these immigrants illegally enter their nation. Effectively nullifying their border security laws.
    It imports a culture which we should find appalling and toxic. Second generation does not fix it, they have a tendency to become much more extreme.
    It lets the non-refugees, the ones not fleeing from war, the ones not fleeing from ISIS or your flavor-of-the-month islamist group get a free ride around the visa or asylum process, possibly even gives them more money and food than otherwise. Surprisingly few are Syrian or Iraqi.

I meant that they rabidly hate Koreans and Chinese (several time, FTR) but presumably it would be very hard to drum up hatred in Japan against the Mexicans, who are not really present in Japan.
    No, it's not very hard at all. They're fine with people visiting but if you plan to settle here? Not so fine with it then.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This thread is a perfect example why MMOC isn't mature enough to discuss refugees
    You got that right. All the alt righties here start sperging as if they're on 4chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    What about this civil war, in Syria, is so different from every other in history, that we feel compelled to remove literally every civilian from the area? We literally have never done that ever before, yet we all act like this is completely normal.
    We have recieved refugees in the past. WW2 and the Mariel Boatlift come to my mind. While minor we also settled refugees from Vietnam.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-02-04 at 12:07 AM.

Because immigration is supposed to be beneficial. You're not supposed to lose out by having immigration which laxer immigration policies results in.
    How exactly would Japan lose out by accepting immigrants? Don't pay much attention to what rabid right wingers in the West might claim, without the mass migration of skilled professionals in recent decades, particularly from Japan's great boogeyman Chyyyyynnnaaa, the USA would be finished.

I'll pick you out of the dozen people all applauding the idea of turning down refugees: why?

Why are you against it? What are the logical, objective reasons to deny aid to anyone outside of the country?
    Because countries have no moral obligation to take care of anyone beyond their own people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    How exactly would Japan lose out by accepting immigrants? Don't pay much attention to what rabid right wingers in the West might claim, without the mass migration of skilled professionals in recent decades, particularly from Japan's great boogeyman Chyyyyynnnaaa, the USA would be finished.
    Japan is already accepting immigrants but not at the rates you seem to want them to. No idea why you would want a rate higher than what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    We have recieved refugees in the past. WW2 and the Mariel Boatlift come to my mind.
    Never in history have be displaced an entire populace for a civil war. The SCALE is what I am talking about, not the mere existence of some refugees.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

what benefit is there in poor useless people?

There is no logic in accepting refugees other than "well gosh darn it its just the right thing to do". And I completely despise any policy based on that.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Japanese have a major dislike for even their own native minority ethnic groups. I'm an American specifically because of their prejudices. It's not really telling at all that they say no to refugees.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm not oppose to the idea of sending money vs bringing in bodies. However I know there are a ton of Japanese culture fans here and I wonder how they will balance their love of Japan vs. Japan refusing refugees.
    This is only a conundrum of liking the culture is equivalent to liking the government. Which it's not.

I've been a fan of their culture for a while, but I've been highly critical of their government pretty much the whole time as well. Because Abe is an ultra-nationalist that reveres Japan's war criminals and has repeatedly tried to whitewash their war crimes from their textbooks.

Anyone disturbed by this hasn't been paying attention at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Japan is already accepting immigrants but not at the rates you seem to want them to. No idea why you would want a rate higher than what is needed.
    Given that their population is already declining, I'd say that's a pretty good sign they aren't accepting as many refugees as they'd need to survive, either demographically or economically. Trying desperately to pop out more babies, who are always a throw of the dice as to whether they will be valuable contributors to society, rather than simply increasing the number of already qualified and proven workers you take in, is a fool's errand and will not work anyway. I do find it curious though, that you as an immigrant who complains of discrimination by Japanese against your own people would still take their side when it comes to this. Maybe you have become a true Japanese after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This is only a conundrum of liking the culture is equivalent to liking the government. Which it's not.

I've been a fan of their culture for a while, but I've been highly critical of their government pretty much the whole time as well. Because Abe is an ultra-nationalist that reveres Japan's war criminals and has repeatedly tried to whitewash their war crimes from their textbooks.

Anyone disturbed by this hasn't been paying attention at all.
    The way I see it, what we think of as Japanese culture could only have developed in the pacifist post-war society of a defeated nation. I think even the most devoted weeaboos would find the hyper militarism and nationalism of early 20th century Japan to be lowbrow and repulsive.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-02-04 at 12:17 AM.