10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seidhe View Post
    What made classic wow better than current?
    Right answer - Nothing.
    And what's the left answer?
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    And what's the left answer?

Then we have the ''middle'' answer which is where they did some things better, but at some things they don't. Basically the real one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Blizzard can look at the code and claim theft, which they haven't. And source code is hard to get your hands on since that requires someone to hack into Blizzards servers, which I haven't heard anything of such theft.

Or people making strawman to defend their arguments.

Storing Art would be a horrible inefficient use of bandwidth for Blizzard. All servers do is tell the client where everything exists in the world via X/Y coordinates with probably a Z thrown in as well. Add a chat system with SQL server to store players info and you have a WoW server. No art assets were taken here.

Something for people to think about is that piracy is usually a symptom of a bigger issue, and not a core problem. I always like to bring up the MP3 and Divx codecs as examples of legal tools that were always associated with piracy, and is responsible for the creation of Netflix/Itunes and similar services. The technology has improved to the point where people can do something that needed a whole company to do. Companies don't like to adapt to the new demand, and end up like BlockBuster.

In between that mess, a lot of companies tried to make MP3/Divx illegal, by making ripping illegal. It was challenged many times in court, but in the end ripping music and moves from Discs is not illegal. Nobody has challenged if a WoW server is illegal in court, and yes this is important cause if it is breaking any laws then Blizzard has the right to shutdown private servers. Which would definitely make people rethink of playing on these servers if they can be shut down at a moments notice.

This is also relevant to other games today, like Battlefield 1. Don't know if anyone's heard but players can't make their own servers. Instead EA wants you to rent a server, which isn't sitting well with the community. Don't be surprised if someone makes software to run private BF1 servers, given there's enough people interested.
    "I'm not a thief! I'm just using someone's intellectual property without their permission!"

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post

Then we have the ''middle'' answer which is where they did some things better, but at some things they don't. Basically the real one.
    Basically agree. However, its too bad they didn't keep more of a moderate balance in the game without wiping out much of what made the game compelling to start with. Some things got better, some went down the drain. At this point its depends on who you ask which one outweighs the other.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2017-02-12 at 09:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Bosses also dropped much, much less gear proportionately.

People like to claim that Vanilla bosses "stayed alive the longest" but in every single scenario, once guilds had enough resistances to defeat the encounters (soft gating), they were rolled in very short order. A better metric for boss difficulty, imo, is time between World First and World 100th (source).
    on "X" all of BWL other then nef dropped in 1 week, nef dropped first day of the second week, also mostly cause they did their usual ony/MC clear both weeks before hand
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    Basically agree. However, its too bad they didn't keep more of a moderate balance in the game without wiping out much of what made the game compelling to start with. Some things got better, some went down the drain. At this point its depends on who you ask which one outweighs the other.
    Well for me personally the things added, removed or changed after wrath have all been negative so that's easy. Which version was best of the first 3 is hard to say. I didn't play vanilla but I did enjoy TBC and Wotlk, it's hard to choose between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I didn't play vanilla
    ...the title of this thread just became even more ironic. Good job.

A real shocker given the biased title trying to get opinions for 'research' purposes.

Why? I genuinely wanted to know. I had no real personal experience in the matter. Had I played it myself I'm sure I could've drawn on my own experiences for the most part.

Well for me personally the things added, removed or changed after wrath have all been negative so that's easy. Which version was best of the first 3 is hard to say. I didn't play vanilla but I did enjoy TBC and Wotlk, it's hard to choose between the two.
    I would have to say the game has become better from a technical aspect more than anything else. Safe to say the graphics are better, its more stable, runs very good. The rest, well...

Why? I genuinely wanted to know. I had no real personal experience in the matter. Had I played it myself I'm sure I could've drawn on my own experiences for the most part.
    The title of this thread is pretty controversial ("Why is {x} better than {y}?") but the fact that you hadn't even experienced {x} is a bit, well, telling of the actual purpose of the "research" you were trying to do. Mission accomplished, I guess. We needed a place to rehash the same circular arguments from the Megathread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is. Nostalgia plays a large part in why a lot of people say it is better now. If Blizzard decided to reverse everything and take us back; most people would complain about the lack of content, etc.
    Probably in a dungeon or a raid throwing Regrowth on a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    I would have to say the game has become better from a technical aspect more than anything else. Safe to say the graphics are better, its more stable, runs very good. The rest, well...
    Is entirely down to your subjective opinion of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Effenz View Post
    "I'm not a thief! I'm just using someone's intellectual property without their permission!"
    Until someone can accurately point to stolen intellectual property, there's no theft that has occurred. So far not many people here are even aware that private servers run off an open source project called MaNGOS. It's even under the GPL v2 License which is a copyleft license. WTF even?

The title of this thread is pretty controversial ("Why is {x} better than {y}?") but the fact that you hadn't even experienced {x} is a bit, well, telling of the actual purpose of the "research" you were trying to do. Mission accomplished, I guess. We needed a place to rehash the same circular arguments from the Megathread.
    I thought we already did pages ago.

Usual arguing between both sides.
    Legality of private servers/how they are coded
    Vanilla Memories
    Nostalgia being thrown around and now apparently it's an insult
    Comparison of modern day systems to classic
    So on and so forth.

I'd say we've basically recreated the megathread in it's own miniature form at this point. Except this time people can actually read and not discuss, link images/videos or advertise private servers which is the damn reason the megathread was closed. Had people stopped being utter morons and doing that then the megathread would have remained open.

Until someone can accurately point to stolen intellectual property, there's no theft that has occurred.
    Are you intentionally ignoring the fact that the art assets are stolen or do you actually believe that since they're not server-side they're somehow exempt?

Deleted
    Until someone can accurately point to stolen intellectual property, there's no theft that has occurred. So far not many people here are even aware that private servers run off an open source project called MaNGOS. It's even under the GPL v2 License which is a copyleft license. WTF even?
    They're sniffing data from the retail servers, so technically it is theft.

Uhm the fucking art assets for the entire game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    They're sniffing data from the retail servers, so technically it is theft.
    There is no technically about it. They are using assets that are not theirs to use.

I would say only the community made vanilla a great experience since a lot of quest required a group of people for finish them like some elite or rares like hogger, also to complete a dungeon or raid you would need friends or at least people you trust to do the whole instance without leaving, and now in the current game you can do the basic content without needing to be social but the end game like raids, bgs and now more recent things like arenas, mythic dungeon require at least a bit of communication or a group a friends to really acomplish that

Someone want to explain to me how the legality of private servers has anything to do with the thread title? This argument over technicalities always comes up in these threads when it's entirely irrelevant.