Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Locking him up doesn't do shit to improve the life of the victim.
    Seven years in a psych ward for killing a man and being released is an insult to the life of that man.

He's a danger if he's off his meds. We unplugged his god-phone.
    Not permanently. Like you said, if he ever does get off his meds you people won't know about it until he snaps again.

I'm sure pretty much no one regrets his actions more than he does, after coming out of his schizophrenic snap.
    Because he said he was sorry? If he was truly sorry he would man the hell up and take the full punishment for what he did. Murder. Pleading "I was crazy" is no excuse. I'll give him the fact that he wasn't in the right state of mind but it was still him. He committed the crime. No one else.

Imagine if you murdered someone on your next public transit trip, didn't remember doing it, and were now going to be confined to life in a padded cell (or death, as some are calling for).
    I would never trust myself around people again and would rather be in a cell for the rest of my life than risk doing what he did. No amount of medication will fix that.

And your example is along the lines of "I was asleep behind the wheel so I shouldn't be held responsible for my car crashing."

It sucks. Utility is maximized though by fixing the problem (his schizophrenia, not his freedom) and getting him back out into the world. The long-term fix is to cure schizophrenia, so we don't risk failing to recognize cases like this before it results in violent crime.
    So just one day out of the blue he hears a voice that tells him to cut someone's head off and he does it? There were no symptoms present that he could have done something about? No signs? Just BOOM! "I HAVE TO DO WHAT THE VOICE SAYS!!!" Not buying it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureapex View Post
    Well, the Maximum Utility would be to Hang him, removes every future problem he could pose.
    I'll chalk this one up to cultural differences then.

In Canada, punishment only occurs after crime. Lest we hang everyone, to "remove every future problem [they] could pose" ;p
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    "easily treated"? It took 10 years. Try reading past the headlines.
    And the end result, if you actually read the article is "We think he wants a normal life, and hopefully stays on his meds and does not give in to episodes"

So he's not "cured" All he needs is the meds going away or to lapse and he's back to eating faces.

15+ Year Old Account
    And the end result, if you actually read the article is "We think he wants a normal life, and hopefully stays on his meds and does not give in to episodes"

So he's not "cured" All he needs is the meds going away or to lapse and he's back to eating faces.
    If the line between you and eating your neighbours face was taking a pill a day, you'd probably cling to that bottle pretty seriously, right?

Pretty much all women keep up the routine - just for the sake of birth control, period suppression, and the medical benefits of doing it. It's not hard, and he's got a better reason than they do.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    If the line between you and eating your neighbours face was taking a pill a day, you'd probably cling to that bottle pretty seriously, right?
    Well, there in lies the issue isn't it? I am of fit mind and manner, so I would very much like myself to be holed away from people if I ever did have such afflictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    His crime is still left unanswered. He was in the ward for severe mental illness. Now if he's "better" he can answer the murder charge, by doing the jail time that comes along with it.
    That's now how law works. You can't jail a guy for a crime he comitted while insane now that he's considered less of a danger to society. He has already been ruled not guilty since he could not control himself; making him stand trial now would make no sense at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's now how law works. You can't jail a guy for a crime he comitted while insane now that he's considered less of a danger to society. He has already been ruled not guilty since he could not control himself; making him stand trial now would make no sense at all.
    Yet we can do so while people are drunk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    But he hasn't had an incident in almost a decade. No one is saying he's cured. They're saying he's been treated and an incident is highly unlikely. Even if there was an incident, it doesn't mean it'll escalate to murder all the sudden again. They likely taught him coping skills and he's probably aware when he's having symptoms. Or maybe he'll just cause a minor incident and if it gets reported, they'll start monitoring him again. You act like this guy is 100% going to eventually kill someone again. By your logic, we just shouldn't take the chance of ever letting even the most minor aggressors of violence. Let's lock them all up forever. It'll save lives.
    He bit off a guys nose after decapitating him. A man is dead. What happens if he assaults another person? Do we just shrug our shoulders and try again?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I was that bad off I'd take a bullet to the brain.

Edit: But then again I don't really like my neighbors.....

Pretty much all women keep up the routine - just for the sake of birth control, period suppression, and the medical benefits of doing it. It's not hard, and he's got a better reason than they do.
    You haven't met my sister-in-law. :/

She's 21 and already talking about a third kid because somehow EVERY form of birth control doesn't "agree" with her.
    Last edited by Templar 331; 2017-02-15 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Most people with schizophrenia are not dangerous though.
    This guy might be, but you're speaking about something you clearly know nothing about.
    I know they're not. Doesn't make the dangerous ones less dangerous. Of course, medication does a lot for them, so grains of salt.

So? A Canadian citizen not guilty of any crime cannot be held to anything against his will unless a doctor diagnose otherwise. Freedom rights are extremely important to us, Yes. it will always bring a little risk with it. Yet Canada is a country almost devoided of crime compared to most of the world, so its a risk most of us will keep taking.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-15 at 01:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If they assess he is not a threat while medicated I'm fine with him walking free, however he should have something akin to a parole officer that checks on him from time to time to make sure he is not neglecting his medication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

What do you mean by that?

Also, for the benefit of everyone; the Court is not saying he's cured. They're saying he's not a danger to society anymore, which is the only metric they go by. He is not guilty, thus there is no punishment required against him by law; he was let go because experts believed he was no longer a danger. And while said experts are not perfect, I'll take their estimations over that of forum psychiatrists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    What do you mean by that?

Also, for the benefit of everyone; the Court is not saying he's cured. They're saying he's not a danger to society anymore, which is the only metric they go by. He is not guilty, thus there is no punishment required against him by law; he was let go because experts believed he was no longer a danger. And while said experts are not perfect, I'll take their estimations over that of forum psychiatrists.
    And I'll just wait to be proven right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    If they assess he is not a threat while medicated I'm fine with him walking free, however he should have something akin to a parole officer that checks on him from time to time to make sure he is not neglecting his medication.
    Apparently they did this for 3 years already. They decided he was well enough to be on his own. Psychiatrist are really the only people with the authority to judge such situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    What the fuck? He should be killed.
    I see the Nazi party policies are alive and well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

People choose to get drunk.
    They don't choose to be schizophrenic.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    People choose to get drunk.
    They don't choose to be schizophrenic.
    They can choose to take their meds.

If he kills again, would it be murder?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    If I was a relative of the victim, I would definitely go and kill this guy. Regardless of the consequences, he does not deserve to get away with this.
    It's a good thing we Canadians try and act like a civilized nation, unlike you American barbarians. Seriously, you all are no better than the Muslims you profess to hate so much, the only difference is you use your own bullshit excuses to justify being terrorists yourselves.

They can choose to take their meds.

If he kills again, would it be murder?
    That would up to the courts to decide I imagine.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's a good thing we Canadians try and act like a civilized nation, unlike you American barbarians. Seriously, you all are no better than the Muslims you profess to hate so much, the only difference is you use your own bullshit excuses to justify being terrorists yourselves.
    I think the person you quoted was extreme but would you be happy with this verdict if the victim was your wife/husband/brother/sister/mother/father/child?

He should be placed into care and monitored for some time, not just be allowed to roam free. Murdering people and then promising you'll be good and take your meds in the future isn't very comforting.

With statements like yours you are no better than the Americans you claim to be superior to. You're being just as bigoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Apparently they did this for 3 years already. They decided he was well enough to be on his own. Psychiatrist are really the only people with the authority to judge such situation.
    Then he needs to be monitored again since he clearly decided to stop taking his meds. He has proven to be a danger to innocent people.

Pretty much any criminal should be able to go free if they promise they will be better in the future then. They realized they made a mistake. Him deciding not to take his meds was his decision in the same manner it is for any criminal to decide to act. If due to his illness he can't be trusted to take his meds then what?