Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    So this is the fake news everyone talks about.

There was no vote at all see the summary at https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I sort of doubt she cares so little for her people though, that she would harm the relationship with their most important ally, over who is sitting in the Oval Office at this particular moment in history. She is a Queen; Trump is not a King. She will likely outlast him, just as she did the prior 20 presidents, or whatever it is.
    Not only that, a surprising number of Presidents were never granted a State visit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    I understand that, I don't have any strong feelings about him coming here to be honest. I don't like the man but I understand the cause of the election if not the effect. I personally am truly and deeply unhappy at the giant Fuck You America has just given to the climate change agreement by electing him as your leader though as that does affect us.
    He lost the popular vote by ~3 MILLION. Many US citizens were blocked from voting in right-wing controlled areas: polling places shut down completely, hours drastically cut in liberal strongholds. That doesn't even get into all the help the current administration received from Russia.

Please do not lump us all together, this election was a shitshow that was stolen by right-wing interests and now we all have to suffer.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    First they reject the EU and now the US. I guess they feel more comfortable around their allies China and Russia?
    Perhaps so. Whatever floats their boat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It is increasingly hard to call the US anyone's ally. If this comes to pass, it is not the fault of Queen and Country. It is the fault of Trump for burning bridges.
    Perhaps I missed it but how has he specifically burned bridges with the UK? If he did then fair enough. But I have yet to see that.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Not only that, a surprising number of Presidents were never granted a State visit.
    According to wikipedia only 2 have had state visits recieved by the Queen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Elizabeth_II

So my guess is American media is either taking the day off or is not sure wtf this actually means. Every single site I check is going with the Flynn replacement announcement that occurred exactly when this vote took place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So my guess is American media is either taking the day off or is not sure wtf this actually means. Every single site I check is going with the Flynn replacement announcement that occurred exactly when this vote took place.
    Because what you posted is fake news, there was no vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    He lost the popular vote by ~3 MILLION. Many US citizens were blocked from voting in right-wing controlled areas: polling places shut down completely, hours drastically cut in liberal strongholds. That doesn't even get into all the help the current administration received from Russia.

Please do not lump us all together, this election was a shitshow that was stolen by right-wing interests and now we all have to suffer.
    I get it dude don't worry. Same thing about us leaving the EU 48% of the UK voted remain it's not as if we all suddenly wanted to jump ship. I've been on these forums long enough to know there's plenty of smart Americans and plenty of fuckwits on both sides of the political spectrum as in any country including my own.

Because it makes no difference he is still coming because theresa may wants him to come she has no plans to cancel it anytime soon. They can vote on disapproval all they want but it wont make no difference he will be coming regardless unless the government has a change of heart which is very very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It is increasingly hard to call the US anyone's ally. If this comes to pass, it is not the fault of Queen and Country. It is the fault of Trump for burning bridges.
    Ah yes, I forgot about trumps attack on Britain. Trump being denied a visit is also trumps fault to. Yeah this is all trumps fault if things go sour from here

Deleted
    wasnt the word going out from the uk government that they were going to invite donald trump over when the house of commons was in recess?
    sounds like this is a bit of a non story.
    personally i welcome him & no, im not really a fan, just someone who believes in democracy & the welcoming of a foreign head of state and ally.

Quote Originally Posted by jac9996 View Post
    Because it makes no difference he is still coming because theresa may wants him to come she has no plans to cancel it anytime soon. They can vote on disapproval all they want but it wont make no difference he will be coming regardless unless the government has a change of heart which is very very unlikely.
    Um, is the parliament not the government?

That's just plain stupid if true and i dont think it is.

there is a UK gov site where if you are a British citizen you can make petitions and if it gets over 100k signs it will be debated in parliament this is all this was just a debate it changes nothing. He will still being coming because that decision is up to the government and they still want him to come for good reason too.

I dont like him but I believe its in the best interests of the UK to allow him to come for said visit but I would deny him an audience with the queen as he hasn't earned that honour yet and shouldn't be given it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Because what you posted is fake news, there was no vote.
    It says "no formal vote" but they did do some kind of yay nay type thing in the video. There system is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Um, is the parliament not the government?
    No parliament is the elected members from all parties, government and opposition

Deleted
    more fake news ahahaha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Perhaps I missed it but how has he specifically burned bridges with the UK?
    He didn't know what Brexit was when he was asked, then claimed he predicted it afterwards. He's backing away from our commitment in NATO, allying himself with Putin, we routinely have a trade defecit which Trump has threatened to tariff, he directly insulted the BBC during his 77-minute press conference, after becoming a business ambassador to Scotland, his golf course in Scotland broke a number of laws just to be built causing him to lose that position, he sued a wind farm for blocking the view of said golf course (and lost); and that's all on top of his appearance as a hateful racist anti-Muslim anti-semite white nationalist idiot that causes roughly half of Europe to think less of the USA just because we elected him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    Trump being denied a visit is also trumps fault to.
    Defend how it wouldn't be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Trump - destroying our global alliances one country at a time. Who needs friends anyway?
    Hmm...let's see....

Meets with Theresa May, Prime Minister of the UK. Everything goes fine. Not a bad word uttered from the foreign leader and no alliance destroyed. She actually allows him to hold her hand as they walk through the Rose Garden.

Meets with Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan. Everything goes fine. Not a bad word uttered from the foreign leader and no alliance destroyed. They play a round of golf at Trump's Winter White House and Abe high five's him.

Meets with Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada. Everything goes fine. Not a bad word uttered from the foreign leader and no alliance destroyed.

Meets with Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel. Everything goes fine. Not a bad word uttered from the foreign leader and no alliance destroyed. Bibi lauds their friendship.

So, let's see - that is 4 heads of state and not one alliance broken.

This leads me to on conclusion, little AlexW - you are wrong, as usual. Just like you were about Trump never being elected .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    It says "no formal vote" but they did do some kind of yay nay type thing in the video. There system is weird.
    It was not a vote and besides that video was from some comitee, not the full parliament anyway.