Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Remember guys, wearing the hijab is 100% optional. They do it because they want to and because it empowers them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd think the brother being banned for playing with an Israeli would be bigger news than her being banned for not wearing a hijab.

I think it's a really dumb reason to ban someone because they chose not to wear an article of clothing that doesn't have any impact on the activity occurring.

I however don't think it's a dumb reason to want solidarity on your team. If the team ties their identity to religion then I don't see any issue with requiring its members to act and dress accordingly, especially if you knew ahead of time. I personally think it's a little selfish to join a team that has strict requirements and the ignore them because you don't think it's fair. You shouldn't have joined in the first place if you don't agree with the decisions being made. Now if this was something added after the fact, she'd have more ground to stand on; at that point it's your classic bait and switch.

If people find it acceptable that Americans can be removed from their teams because they smoke weed(Which by and large has no beneficial impact on the activities they're performing) then I really don't see this as that much different. It's about the image they're portraying more so than trying to limit people's personal liberties. If a host country thinks you're not adequately representing them, they are well within rights to change advocates.

It's one thing to be oppressed by a ruthless backwards government but another thing to be a representative of a particular group of people.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    You'd think the brother being banned for playing with an Israeli would be bigger news than her being banned for not wearing a hijab.
    One sheds light on Antisemitism involving Islamic people whom these days are basically free from criticism from MSM without being labelled Islamaphobic.

At least with this Article it shows a Woman being basically oppressed for not wearing what shes told to wear. Which should make all these crazies currently spouting that "Islam is the most Feminist of Religions" shut up for a while.

It literally makes my blood boil that people make excuses for this sort of shit like "Oh it's just their culture or their rules" when it comes down to Women being treated unfairly in these countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    But if Europe behaved like we did, then she would be shit out of luck. It makes it very easy to call out conservatives for hating immigrants, when their position is one that is anti-immigrant, and not just against illegal immigrant. It's akin to regulating something to death, just like liberals in California do with guns. She can get citizenship somewhere else, just not here...
    I don't quite see how wanting to ensure people are vetted, from any country, before the enter our country equals me or Conservatives hating all immigrants. Obviously people believe that and I'm sure there are folk that literally hate all immigrants.

The issue is the fact that these Middle Eastern countries don't keep as good a tab on their people as, for instance, European countries do. So it's much more difficult and time consuming to vet someone from one of those countries then it is someone from Europe.

I personally don't hate immigrants from any country, color, creed, or religion. This country was built upon the blood, sweat, and tears of immigrants. What I hate are those who try and get in here illegally. Go about things the proper legal way and we will gladly accept you. But if you try and cheat the system I've got absolutely zero sympathy for you.

I'm not sure why that is such a difficult platform for people to understand.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all traditions have equal value. This tradition appears to have very little objective value, and at the same time it seems like it's interfering with personal choice and ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    I don't quite see how wanting to ensure people are vetted, from any country, before the enter our country equals me or Conservatives hating all immigrants. Obviously people believe that and I'm sure there are folk that literally hate all immigrants.

The issue is the fact that these Middle Eastern countries don't keep as good a tab on their people as, for instance, European countries do. So it's much more difficult and time consuming to vet someone from one of those countries then it is someone from Europe.

I personally don't hate immigrants from any country, color, creed, or religion. This country was built upon the blood, sweat, and tears of immigrants. What I hate are those who try and get in here illegally. Go about things the proper legal way and we will gladly accept you. But if you try and cheat the system I've got absolutely zero sympathy for you.

I'm not sure why that is such a difficult platform for people to understand.
    But that undermines your argument you made in favor of her. In a couple days, she will not even be welcome in our country. That's what the travel ban is going to do, so you can't have it both ways. She has done nothing wrong, but will not be welcome. That's is no different than deciding to ban guns, because some people misuse them.

I don't care if people are here illegally, crossing in invisible line in the sand is not hurting people. The proper, legal way is broken, and has been broken for decades. The existence of a law is never a justification for it, so simply being "illegal" means nothing. It's illegal to get a blow job in some places. If we decide to take away the freedoms of innocent people, then we are no longer justified in complaining if someone else tries to do it to us. It's no different than the shit liberals try and pull all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that undermines your argument you made in favor of her. In a couple days, she will not even be welcome in our country. That's what the travel ban is going to do, so you can't have it both ways. She has done nothing wrong, but will not be welcome. That's is no different than deciding to ban guns, because some people misuse them.

I don't care if people are here illegally, crossing in invisible line in the sand is not hurting people. The proper, legal way is broken, and has been broken for decades. The existence of a law is never a justification for it, so simply being "illegal" means nothing. It's illegal to get a blow job in some places. If we decide to take away the freedoms of innocent people, then we are no longer justified in complaining if someone else tries to do it to us. It's no different than the shit liberals try and pull all the time.
    It's not that she's not welcome.

That's what people don't get it. There is nothing personal against her. It's ensuring that she is able to be vetted through the more secure process possible before being allowed amongst our citizens. Once that it's determined she is safe (as I'm sure she would be found as such) she would be allowed in and would be able to start her process for citizenship.

No one is trying to keep out legitimate people fleeing harms way or people who just really want to become American citizens. What people are trying to keep out are those who wish harm upon our people.

If they get held up for a couple of months while that process is worked out then so be it. It'll suck I'm sure for those people that end up having to wait but it is what it is.

Hell personally I'd be fine if there were a place with decent living conditions that these folks could wait at here while all that was being checked so they don't have wait back in whatever country they came from.

But that sort of decision isn't up to me.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    So you agree that illegal immigrants should all be deported? Judging from your post history, I'd say you don't. Judging from your post history, I think you're a massive mental gymnast.
    I'm sure you want to think that.
    But you're deflecting (a common thing around here).

It's not that she's not welcome.

That's what people don't get it. There is nothing personal against her. It's ensuring that she is able to be vetted through the more secure process possible before being allowed amongst our citizens. Once that it's determined she is safe (as I'm sure she would be found as such) she would be allowed in and would be able to start her process for citizenship.

No one is trying to keep out legitimate people fleeing harms way or people who just really want to become American citizens. What people are trying to keep out are those who wish harm upon our people.

If they get held up for a couple of months while that process is worked out then so be it. It'll suck I'm sure for those people that end up having to wait but it is what it is.

Hell personally I'd be fine if there were a place with decent living conditions that these folks could wait at here while all that was being checked so they don't have wait back in whatever country they came from.

But that sort of decision isn't up to me.
    And as of later this week, she will no longer be welcome. There will be another travel ban in place (possibly temporarily). That's a clear indication that someone is not welcome. If she is not allowed to come here, the meaning behind it is pretty clear. It's not personal against her, it's against her entire country... as if that makes it any better.

People are trying to keep out legitimate people who are fleeing harm, that's why it's a travel ban. The ban could be extended indefinitely, which Trump has stated he may do. They may have to wait a few months, or maybe years. That shows they are not welcome, at least not yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I admire her for having the courage of her convictions. Many people would just buckle in order to participate. Takes a lot of character to walk away from something you love because of your beliefs.

It would be nice if more of her sisters followed suit.

Respect to her brother too for playing an Israeli, going against the grain of Iran's antisemitism.

What's the problem? She didn't want to wear it so she couldn't go. Seems like the right thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And as of later this week, she will no longer be welcome. There will be another travel ban in place (possibly temporarily). That's a clear indication that someone is not welcome. If she is not allowed to come here, the meaning behind it is pretty clear. It's not personal against her, it's against her entire country... as if that makes it any better.

People are trying to keep out legitimate people who are fleeing harm, that's why it's a travel ban. The ban could be extended indefinitely, which Trump has stated he may do. They may have to wait a few months, or maybe years. That shows they are not welcome, at least not yet.
    See you still don't get it man.

I'm not sure what I have to do to make it clear that no one is trying to keep people out permanently. The goal is to be able to implement a screening process that can somehow screen people with literally no ID. To ensure they aren't here to cause harm.

I don't quite see how that means she isn't welcome.

There are plenty of former Iranians who are now US citizens.

The issue isn't with her. The issue is with folks who try to blend in with people like her who intend on doing harm.

If that is too difficult to understand then I'm not sure how else I can explain it.

Either way I hope you have a great day!!

See you still don't get it man.

I'm not sure what I have to do to make it clear that no one is trying to keep people out permanently. The goal is to be able to implement a screening process that can somehow screen people with literally no ID. To ensure they aren't here to cause harm.

I don't quite see how that means she isn't welcome.

There are plenty of former Iranians who are now US citizens.

The issue isn't with her. The issue is with folks who try to blend in with people like her who intend on doing harm.

If that is too difficult to understand then I'm not sure how else I can explain it.

Either way I hope you have a great day!!
    Since there is a travel ban, she is not welcome (when the new travel ban gets put in place this week). At some point, she may eventually be welcome, but not so long as a travel ban is in place. The travel ban itself shows that people from those countries are not welcome. When this next travel ban gets lifted, then we can say that she is welcome. Technically, as of right now, she is welcome. When the new travel ban is in place, she will no longer be welcome. That should happen in the next two days.

You hit on the exact problem that I have with it all, punishing innocent people in order to hopefully stop bad people. It's no different than when liberals ban guns.

Since there is a travel ban, she is not welcome (when the new travel ban gets put in place this week). At some point, she may eventually be welcome, but not so long as a travel ban is in place. The travel ban itself shows that people from those countries are not welcome. When this next travel ban gets lifted, then we can say that she is welcome. Technically, as of right now, she is welcome. When the new travel ban is in place, she will no longer be welcome. That should happen in the next two days.

You hit on the exact problem that I have with it all, punishing innocent people in order to hopefully stop bad people. It's no different than when liberals ban guns.
    Wouldn't be she 'welcome' if she migrated to another country, such as say Germany then tried to come into the US? I mean, I'm really no expert in this, but it seems like the travel ban literally restricts access FROM that area, not from the people within that area (aka if they were to essentially use a proxy).

If that's the case, I get it'd be extremely inconvenient and annoying to do so, but in turn, wouldn't she in fact be welcome?

Hmf...there's a difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration. Trump's little crayon written order banned legals as well as illegals.

As for Dorsa D...she lives in Iran, and was to represent Iran. She refused to wear what the country deemed appropriate...o well.

10+ Year Old Account

I understand your view on it but I feel like a temporary stay on allowing people in from those countries is a decent price to pay.

If at some point he just says fuck it let's ban em forever or we are gonna ban all Muslims or all women or whatever then I'll gladly hop aboard the anti Trump train in this regard.

But a temporary deal to get a new system in place isn't bad whatsoever in my opinion.

I understand your view on it but I feel like a temporary stay on allowing people in from those countries is a decent price to pay.

If at some point he just says fuck it let's ban em forever or we are gonna ban all Muslims or all women or whatever then I'll gladly hop aboard the anti Trump train in this regard.

But a temporary deal to get a new system in place isn't bad whatsoever in my opinion.
    How would you feel if the Obama administration had unilaterally placed a temporary ban on the sale of firearms in this country, so that they could work to put a new system in place, to make sure only good people owned guns? How would you feel if that administration also stated they may extend the ban if they felt they needed more time?

I don't know about you, but I would be pretty damn concerned for people's freedoms.

We don't have any real evidence to show that the current system is not working, that's the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    So has ours. Like you have to play chess real well. Headwear is not known to enhance reasoning.
    This.

I mean I understand some rules serve a purpose, but rules like that with no purpose other than "that's just how we do things around here" are just horse shit. Fuck traditions. Fuck customs. Having rules for the sake of having rules is stupid.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-02-22 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Well a British teacher on a school trip to the US just got banned and abused at an airport for what in all honestly was probably a racial issue. Soooo welcome if you aint brown and muslimy I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-school-trip

Thats actually a fantastic analogy, wonder how that would go down.
    As someone who is a staunch believer in gun rights, I think it would go down very violently. People shoot at census takers, imagine what they would do if they thought someone was there to take their firearms.

In reality, you would have people still making firearms, but they would sneak them into the country, or sell them on the black market. We will see the same thing with refugees and immigrants. As long as there is a demand, someone will be there to fill that demand.