10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Miqo'te have a very keen sense of smell, so if any race has proper hygiene, it would be them. ;P
    At least my (real life) cat keeps cleaning himself all the time.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    At least my (real life) cat keeps cleaning himself all the time.
    If I could lick myself in places cat's can I'd be clean AF all the time too....lol

That said, I prefer most of the animations for running and movement in general on the Miqo'te over the other races. The confident and playful swagger they have just comes across really well in their animation. Nothing against the other races except Lalafel...seriously I just can't wrap my head around wanting to play a character you'll need to stare at for hours on end that look like an overfed toddler wearing a sumo suit. I just prefer Miqo'te.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    You still owe me a response >.<. Unless I'm an idiot and missed it. I just had to clear the same misconception up with Remilia.
    You haven't missed it. I still have yet to reply. Am slacker.

(Actually I don't check MMO-Champ on weekends and haven't been able to come back at work recently) >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to shut down conversation - you know me better than that. I just fail to see a single solitary merit of a personal DPS meter. I looked at it from every angle I could think of and I just don't see one. I'm more than willing to eat my words if someone can frame a solid argument for why it should exist over a full monty meter.

1) You can't analyze yourself against teammates to measure your performance.
    2) You can't compare yourself against other people of the same job.

Sure you can test an opener using a personal meter, but you can do that with an existing tool in game.
    If you're above your teammates, but you're not all playing to the potential that the devs designed for the content, does comparing yourself to them help?
    Comparing to others of the same job - Yyyyyyeah, y'wanna know how often I see other Ninja in 24 man? The answer is not often. So this isn't a guarantee in any way, especially as they keep adding jobs and we're mainly doing 8 man content for progression that's really where the parser requests are.

So if Square designs encounters with the expectation that DPS does X DPS to meet requirements and you're surpassing those expectations, how crucial is it to know "oh man but I totally crushed that bard and monk." If you're in a pre-made progression group and the game is telling you that you're not meeting requirements, isn't it then a matter of acknowledging that and asking what you're doing wrong? I know that's total reverse of what people expect, to ask for help and help be given rather than everyone jumping on whoever isn't meeting demands for being fail, but if you're in a pre-made group isn't that sort of part of what everyone's there for?

The issue with this system is that you already know for a fact if you underperformed the fights dps tuning, because you wiped. If you're referring to the system being personal only, sure I'd know that I pass/failed the check, but I have no idea who didn't, I have no idea by how much, and I'd have absolutely no information as to how to suggest fixing the dps problem.
    Through what mystical magic are people identifying problems with players and giving advice and tips now? Because I've seen that happen. Suggesting rotation changes, what to open with, advising what to prioritize, etc. for a class. Since we don't have parsers, this has to be impossible, so how is it happening?

The issue with that is how would it be scaled? The idea itself isn't terrible, but the implementation seems beyond difficult. Does it measure performance on pre-defined parameters (easiest)? Does it measure them based on your parties performance? Does it measure them by everyone who's ever done it overall ever?

If it was predefined you'd run into a situation where once you outscale it the data is basically meaningless. If it scales off your party you could be giving a player information that he did really well, except overall he was the 19th worst DRG ever. He just was unlucky enough that he had even worse teammates. Sure they passed the trial, not because of anything good, just that the encounter was specifically tuned for a player to play with their eyes closed and press 1 button over and over again.
    Valid questions. Probably ones to pose to the dev teams when they are further in whatever they're vaguely hinting at, though. I'd love to know what content in XIV is designed for 1 button with their eyes closed considering the "lol faceroll 24 mans" have been met with tears on an ongoing basis (which goes away as soon as people *gasp* do mechanics and react appropriately). And hardcore raiders? "Wah, it's too hard....wah, it's too easy" leading Yoshida at Fan Fest to joke "I don't trust anybody anymore."

But they did ease off tight DPS requirements because the hardcore raiders, the ones hitting world first targets, said they were a bit too tight.

PF and server chat are the only 2 places you could possibly impose restrictions, and that's exactly where they're prevalent. This is where where people are discriminated against as you testified to above. I'm not saying it happens everywhere. PF is the only place that actually matters in the context of this discussion. DF is for old or trivial content that you couldn't honestly fail if you tried so largely speaking, class, ilvl, and new player bonus are irrelevant, thus they're not discriminated against here.

I've joined several PF groups before and as soon as someone saw new person bonus, the group lost members. Sometimes so many the run ended before it even started. That's the true nature of doing PF current content sometimes.
    Did the Party Finder indicate it wasn't for first timers? If so, should have booted the new player. If not, that was their mistake and to me it's kinda crappy to bail instantly. It might have been their first time running it, but they had watched videos, understood it, or even had done it before but didn't finish the fight before the group disbanded. Could even be a returning player on a new account/alt that's done it before. Insta-bail won't tell you any of that. Ask a few questions, then make the decision.

I liked mine better personally, but I hear you. Humor me though. When was the last time you saw DPS meter shit talk in WoW. Just name an expansion/raid/dungeon. Just so I have an idea. For me personally, it was wotlk. Last time I ever saw it.
    This might shine a lot of light on where we're seeing different experiences in different levels of content.

Last time I saw it? EVERY DAMN RUN in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria's LFR (didn't do any group content in WoD as I played 1 month & ran LFR once in Legion). LF freaking R where, like you said, you could bounce your face on the keyboard and still do enough DPS for the content at that time. Yet that's where the people in top raiding gear seemed to enjoy spamming DPS Meter results and shit talking anyone who didn't meet their decided minimal requirements. Were some clearly not even trying and getting carried? Sure. Justification to be a total ass? Nope.

Perhaps this could shine a light on addressing some of the concerns... hmm.

What if an in-game parser and DPS meter was added, but restricted to only be useable in pre-made groups? Probably not ideal for some, but another possible compromise? My main concern is that experience has been try hard top tier raiders like to use it in content designed for more casual players to belittle and demean people and that's what pisses me off. People are meeting mechanics, enemies are dying, nobody's dying themselves = everything is going fine in duty finder.

Savage, I understand a need to understand what's not falling into place and resulting in problems.

To be fair, I'd take a bet that 85% of the people who say they saw it all the time were probably the ones doing it or were exaggerating considerably. They probably had it happen to them once personally, and now it shapes their entire belief system around that one occurrence. That's just my .02. In my years of gaming I've found my experiences to be largely pleasant with only a VERY small handful of incidents. That's across over a decade of gaming.
    You're describing my experience with pre-made groups as well, it's when you are using matchmaking/party finder/duty finder that I regularly see the assholes using every opportunity to be assholes. And then people get negative and bitter and start acting like assholes back...only then they carry it on to be assholes to others themselves and the sickness spreads from there.

Is it considered harassment if I say in a PM to you that Faroth is a smelly night elf? He doesn't hear it or see it, and no feelings are hurt.
    Oh how I want to violate forum rules and post the otter at the table "u havin' a giggle" gif.

Unrelated, and more fun, note:

Anyone recommend some movies and anime to get me more Samurhyped? I watched 13 Assassins last night.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-27 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 points about this post. Before I get into them, what content do you do? Based on previous conversations between you and I recall you don't do savage, and barely do normal raiding. IIRC it was dungeons and 24m and some trials. No one needs a guide if all you do is dungeons. You can just mash your face on the keyboard to success. Hell you could AFK your way to success there too.
    Last time I really bothered for FFXIV was Bahamut Turn 5 5th week in I believe. At that point gear was really scarce for everyone. To put in perspective, first team got in at 3rd week. Think about 3 or 4 got in at week 4. Just due to stress (staying up way too long) and scheduling we never really bothered afterwards.
    1) If your friend wasn't running ACT you'd have 0 idea how you're performing. Therefore you're basing your skill level off what your friend told you without seeing it for yourself. You were also compared against random players that may not have been good or geared. So in essence you actually saying this proves what I have been trying to prove all along.
    And if he doesn't have ACT on, I would still perform at that rate, okay? The only thing it provides is a confirmation.
    2)I don't understand why people who have 0 clue how a parsing tool (DPS meter) actually works can claim its bad for a game. it's hilarious that people are saying they are bad, but then they say shit like this:
    I never said they're bad. Where did I say they're bad? It's something that I've been neutral about, as I understand the arguments for both side and see the benefits and cons to it. I have no standing towards it.
    A parsing tool tells you WAY more than a number. It tells you:

Deaths. How they died (what mechanic), by how much, when, Making it easy to identify if it's a player issue, or healing issue. You can see their health at the given point of time. It can tell you maybe they weren't stacked up properly to get aoe heals, maybe one of your healers is neglecting this player, etc. You can then check see if they used second wind or anything to try and mitigate the death, etc.

Buffs. You can check to see if Joe SMN is using his cooldowns when he should be. Let's say you're failing on the A3S hand piece. You look at the overall DPS and go oh Joe SMN is at the top, he's not the issue. Except if you look at the damage done during that exact time period he's not. He's dead last, by a fair margin because he blew all his cooldowns on the opener instead of when he should. Priority add not dying? Checks and sees 2 of the DPS aren't using mercy stroke, etc. Someone not using pots? What about hit chance? How would you know what hit rating you need without a parser to actively manage misses? You could do it manually by hand, but that'd be a colossal waste of time that you could be using to learn an encounter rather than learn its necessary hit chance.

Debuffs. Missing enrage timer slightly every pull. Checks and sees that the slashing/piercing debuff has only 19% uptime. Easy to identify an issue there. Check and see what happened, to cause wipe, oh healer had paralysis and didn't esuna it (or shouldn't have got it in the first place). All pertinent data that in the heat of battle someone might miss, but the meter didn't. Tank didn't have STR debuff on boss, etc.

I could go on some more, but I think this illustrates my point clearly enough. For reference I have never seen a parsing tool that didn't do most if not all of these features and more.
    So for a few things. Since I pretty much just play SMN/SCH if someone doesn't know when to use CD they're not going to now any more if they see ACT. It takes someone with knowledge to point out the issues and if they don't then they're not going to know. ACT is a tool not a guide. All it gives is numbers.

Also really... all your examples come down to do the mechanics properly. As a healer I can tell if people aren't stacking up or what they're dieing to. It's called being observant. You don't need ACT to get that information.
    It's funny here that you admit you're terrible at managing the mechanics of the job (or lazy, or both), yet you consistently outperform everyone you play with? (More evidence that you are doing trivial content, with exceptionally sub-par players if that's the case). That'd be like some random DRG saying he is top DPS most of the time, even though he lets BotD fall off immediately after casting Gierskogul every time. It's not him that's good, it's everyone else is hilariously bad.
    Lazy more often than not. I don't want to play to be the best, I don't bother with that anymore. That's something I did during BC/LK raiding. I didn't bother with cata.
    You do your own calculations? Like what precisely?
    So for SMN at least. This has been my thought process for most games anyways. Damage per cast, cost, and opportunity available. Better priority since standing there all the time never works. Though SMN has the best potential to adhere to it due to Ruinra and Dots.

DoTs. All ticks add 15s during with garuda egi. Egi of course being in manual.
    Bio = 240potency per cast, instant so GCD. 40p/3s tick. Highest DPS DoT but lowest per cast. Ends up being last priority cast due to that.
    Miasma = 300p per cast. 2.5s cast, so inline with GCD. 20+35p/3s. 2nd highest dps DoT but still not the highest per cast.
    Biora = 350p per cast. 2.5s cast. 35p/3s. Lowest DPS highest per cast. So for DoTs this gets priority cast.
    Miasmra = 70p cast. 20+10/3s. Ignore due to being lower than Ruin/Ruinra unless use with dot extension totaling 120p.
    Tri Disaster. Save for bahamut trance.

Direct damages.
    Ruin/Ruinra, 80p cast. Use as filler, whichever depending on movement.
    Ruinga, 200p cast, use as nuke when needed and during Bahamut trance.
    Miasma burst, 300p per cast, cost 1 aetherflow and 1 charge to bahamut trance.
    Painflare, 200p per cast. Use as needed and in places of where getting dots up takes too much time but may need the burst.
    Deathflare, push button for big laser of doom. Typically at the end of the 15s unless something really has the urgency of that 15s or not.
    Tri-bind sucks, use Blizzara. All it takes is two mobs to make blizzara worth over ruin.

DoTs never cast tri-disaster outside of bahamut trance
    Everything plays around Bahamut trance for managing cooldowns and charges. Outside of opening and having another aetherflow cooldown ready.
    Casting and maintaining the bahamut trance charges every 15-20s or so to keep it from fading and to get aetherflow cast back up to be inline with it.
    Bahamut trance for 'optimal' purposes goes along this path. Miasmra > Aetherflow > Trance > Ruinra > Tri Disaster + pet dot lengthening > Miasma Burst > Ruinga spam until Miasma Burst is up again and death flare last second. Assuming done right, you'd have two bahamut trance charges at about 27s left at death flare. 45s cooldown on aetherflow. Taking that into account with 1 charge remaining, use charge with the timer at most at 10s due to aetherflow GCD cast time. This'll refresh charges for the next trance to go with aetherflow. Since tri disaster and pet dot lengthen thingy they don't really need any managing as it all lines up properly.
    Tri-disaster during trance since 10% damage on dots = good damage. Even if you don't have tri-disaster up, casting dots is better than a ruinga during trance due to the fact every dot's total damage per cast is greater than 200 potency, far outweighing any damage you'd get out of ignoring dots and just casting ruinga.

In between trances is always just keeping up DoTs and just ruin/ruinra whenever needed. It's more or less a thought process or priority set up for certain things. Cause quite frankly, having a strict rotation isn't going to work for well... anything.
    The above is more or less why I don't bother with playing SMN optimally though. The 10% damage increase for bahamut trance amounts to so little overall for the things I do now that I just don't want to bother. Bio for example the 10%, 240 to 264 Bio. Requires a bit less than 2 recast (33s + 36s), potential clipping depending on your mood. Clipping 1 tick for 240+200+484 = 924 or leaving it all = 964. Compared to not having it line up whatsoever of 920 potency difference or just about 4% difference for Bio with no clip. Does push back tri-disaster within bahamut trance though, but still doable if you don't clip. However you can only do that twice before having to readjust. Kind of goes for all of the casts and such that it amounts to me not giving enough fucks.

Things I don't do are stat optimizations, cause no numbers are given and I don't want to go back to WoW days where I spend hours beating on a doll finding those things out myself.

Is it that weird to see someone do their own stuff by the way? Since you seem to ask for something extremely long and annoying to type out. Or any reason you seem to need to be better than others?
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-02-27 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I tend to assume that it's often less about people being clueless and more about them being lazy. For the most part FFXIV boasts a fairly friendly community, especially when compared to some of the other MMO's out there. If people ask a question about the game in a populated area like Idyllshire or Limsa then typically someone will take the time to offer advice and point people in the right direction.

I also think a lot of players get lazy and put in minimal effort because they feel like they can get away with it. We all make mistakes from time to time, it's understandable that they happen. Yet when it comes to people doing very low DPS in dungeons and raids I often feel like they're doing it purposely because they're tabbed out and they're potentially looking to be carried. Plus the more players there are around them the easier it is for them to try and get away with being dead for most of a fight.
    These are the folks I get as irritated with as the intentional trolls. Had such a player (the former) yesterday or Saturday in one of my A1S light farms. BRD doing barely more damage than our PLD tank. Had 1-2 caster dps, but zero foe requiem. Had a wipe at one point due to killing the first boss too fast (thus the 0.5 blew up) and at least 2 people pointed that stuff out. MNK asked "Are you dpsing using a macro?", to which the BRD replied "no".

Thankfully the bonus window ended another run or so after that. I'm as sick of A1S as anyone can be (5 weapons done, 1 left to go), yet I go in there every run trying to beat my previous run.

To end on a positive note, I've gotten a crapload of progress towards the tank mounts thanks to all this A1S farming. 83/200 on WAR, having started at 0 (so I figure it's 90 runs with bonus to complete a weapon). I had tanked Dun Scaith and a few roulette dungeons prior to the A1S grind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    The 24 mans aren't so great of a benchmark, because not a lot of people are necessarily concerned about uploading parses there. Likely what you see are a lot of live uploads with the fflogs tool - maybe not even from people in your alliance.

FFlogs is neat that you can get graded based off of percentiles of specific encounters, and each encounter has a weight - so after stuff is on farm, it's a game within itself to tune your performance to get better outcomes. Some of the fights are obviously cheesed - you will see things like 90+% balance up-time, but even into the upper 90th percentiles are available without the perfect speed clear comp.

Where you will see the obviously most skewed numbers are Faust Z, with some people cheesing numbers into the 5k range. I'd still say though that with ~1m clear time, if you are doing your job right ~3.5-4k for DPS and ~2-2.5k for tanks is entirely achievable with good gear and not feeding specific people. More if you are running the optimal setup.
    Was just going by that since that boss from Void Ark was given as an example. Way too many variables and such in 24 man, etc.

Better off simply looking out for lazy folks (such as the ones who happen to get locked out intentionally). 24s tend to bring out the laziest of lazy asses.

I agree with @Faroth and @Remilia but understand where @Wrecktangle is coming from.

Based on a thread (may hev been this one from a while ago) Wrecktangle is a "hardcore" player who strives to be at the top of the meters, pushing high end content and is an elitist (not in a bad way, just has performance expectations and is very clear about them, excluding people who don't take them seriously which is understandable). So parsers and things like this allow for a very granular view of the battles and provide valuable information necessary to continue pushing to the upper echelons of skill.

Players like Faroth, Remilia and me still take the game seriously enough to be totally competent, learning mechanics, how to play our classes and basic gearing and really only do a few DF groups, play with friends in Ex parties without trying to push the DPS just clear it and rarely set foot in current Savage content. For this level of play, a parser or DPS meter are not even remotely required, though they could provide useful information should we want to access it but it's not required to perform and complete those duties. I'd even argue that they're not required for higher end content, but having them when min/maxing to that degree just makes things so much easier than the alternative it's not really a useful argument.

I have yet to see anyone who's arguing completely against parsers or meters, just levels of support. IMO I don't think an official parser/ meter is required. The folks who really care THAT much about it already have ACT or have a friend who uses it on them anyway, and the people that don't...don't. Aside from being a QoL improvement for some folks who need it, and are already using it to some dgree, would anything actually change for those who are already using it? Because, as remote as it may or may not be, adding an "official" meter/ parser to the game would just make it more universally available to people who don't know wtf they're doing anyway and will just use it to talk about supposed rankings in every way they can.

In WoW, even currently in Legion, it's rare for me to get into a group where a meter isn't posted at the end of the run or to have some guy requesting that it be posted. Admittedly it almost never devolves into a shit posting type thing, and nothing comes of it, it's just an FYI type thing so it's not bad. But what does that do for the game as a whole? As I already stated, the folks who really care about performing are already going to be working on it with or without a number to go alongside it and those that don't aren't likely going to change their behavior just because of a number...if they even care enough to know what the numbers mean. So I'm not trying to say a meter in FFXIV would do harm, I'm just saying it's not likely to do anything at all to the overall game. I'm not opposed to it, per se, I just don't see the point.

No one needs a guide if all you do is dungeons. You can just mash your face on the keyboard to success. Hell you could AFK your way to success there too.
    On that note, do Dungeon bosses even have Enrage timers? I only ask because I spent a total of 65 minutes doing Baelsar's Wall at the weekend, in a group with zero wipes. When you get a group that consists of a Warrior, Black Mage, Summoner and a Scholar I tend to expect that it's going to be a lightning fast run, with trash melting in a matter of seconds. Turns out I was wrong this time, my group couldn't even break the Shackles the last boss puts on the healer before he went into doing his AoE. If I wasn't a Scholar, we'd have wiped there repeatedly.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't also come with them botching all the mechanics too. The second boss especially was rough, think I was the only one who avoided activating the motion tracker. Having to be a full time healer really limits what you can do as a Scholar. It's one of those times where I really wanted to use the phrase "learn to play".

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post

Assuming same gear.

Scenario one: The Monk, a class that has no group synergy is tuned to be able to create higher damage than the other classes. A Monk with lower damage than casters without a bard in in group. SHAME

Scenario two. Same concept. Shame on monk, drg floortanking?

Scenario three. DRG evasive jumped off the platform. Monk still sucks.

Being an 8 man, if this was in savage or extreme I would expect shit-talking in every situation for the monk and drg. Honestly the more concerning dps is scenario 2 and scenario 3 can only be explained by continued deaths which is a different situation entirely
    Not assuming same gear, but similar gear. I don't judge people I get grouped with who are freshly geared. I judge people who are similar to me (slightly below, same, or slightly above) that are significantly underperforming (by measures of 40%+).

It's possible here you took my made up data too seriously. I haven't played the game since 3.2 so I have absolutely 0 idea what relative DPS numbers are these days or which jobs perform at what values. The point of the data was merely to exercise analysis in contribution percentage. Also you're missing the entire point of my post. I'm not concerned with perfect play. I'm merely concerned with people contributing to the best of their ability. It's ok if you're bad, but you still need to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    You haven't missed it. I still have yet to reply. Am slacker.

(Actually I don't check MMO-Champ on weekends and haven't been able to come back at work recently) >_<

If you're above your teammates, but you're not all playing to the potential that the devs designed for the content, does comparing yourself to them help?
    Comparing to others of the same job - Yyyyyyeah, y'wanna know how often I see other Ninja in 24 man? The answer is not often. So this isn't a guarantee in any way, especially as they keep adding jobs and we're mainly doing 8 man content for progression that's really where the parser requests are.
    No worries, I don't check on the weekends either. Strictly on slow work days in between projects.

In your first example - I am assuming we're still referring to the idea of a personal parser. In which case I'd be forced to analyze not only why I am performing so terribly, but repeatedly asking others what their values are (and hoping that they're not trying to hide their own shortcomings). You can see where that scenario the benefit is just not there.

It's true that comparing against same jobs isn't as common as it is in say WoW, but it's still relevant and fun to do. I've learned a few things here and there from other DRG's by looking at their parses.

So if Square designs encounters with the expectation that DPS does X DPS to meet requirements and you're surpassing those expectations, how crucial is it to know "oh man but I totally crushed that bard and monk." If you're in a pre-made progression group and the game is telling you that you're not meeting requirements, isn't it then a matter of acknowledging that and asking what you're doing wrong? I know that's total reverse of what people expect, to ask for help and help be given rather than everyone jumping on whoever isn't meeting demands for being fail, but if you're in a pre-made group isn't that sort of part of what everyone's there for?
    It's not about knowing how bad you crushed the BRD/MNK. It's about knowing how well you optimized your damage compared to your teammates. Maybe using that knowledge data you can impart some ideas for buff usage that would help them. It's also not about jumping on somebody for failing either. When I was doing SCoB Turn 7 Savage, we had an issue where the DPS kiting was struggling doing DPS and kiting. So we asked if he'd like to switch and see if the other ranged wanted to do it. Even though he was a worse job for it, he was more comfortable doing it, thus raising our group DPS. We used the data of one player underperforming to identify issues and implement solutions so he could play better.

Through what mystical magic are people identifying problems with players and giving advice and tips now? Because I've seen that happen. Suggesting rotation changes, what to open with, advising what to prioritize, etc. for a class. Since we don't have parsers, this has to be impossible, so how is it happening?
    They're using ACT now. An unofficial, not terribly well optimized or support 3rd party pain in the rear to setup parser. If they're not using it and doing those things, they're likely giving bad info.

Valid questions. Probably ones to pose to the dev teams when they are further in whatever they're vaguely hinting at, though. I'd love to know what content in XIV is designed for 1 button with their eyes closed considering the "lol faceroll 24 mans" have been met with tears on an ongoing basis (which goes away as soon as people *gasp* do mechanics and react appropriately). And hardcore raiders? "Wah, it's too hard....wah, it's too easy" leading Yoshida at Fan Fest to joke "I don't trust anybody anymore."
    Mostly dungeons and recently the EX's. I have heard that Ozma was not fun for a lot of people (which brings me immeasurable joy as a huge FF9 fan, one that struggled to beat Ozma himself his first playthrough back when I was like 14).

But they did ease off tight DPS requirements because the hardcore raiders, the ones hitting world first targets, said they were a bit too tight.
    Believe it or not the DPS requirements aren't that bad in FF14. The issue is mechanic design. Every single mechanic in Savage is insta wipe. In WoW, most DPS checks are based on falling further and further behind until you can no longer keep up. There are of course "bad" DPS checks (a la Mythic Krosus) where it's just do flat x or wipe at end.

This is of course my personal opinon.

Did the Party Finder indicate it wasn't for first timers? If so, should have booted the new player. If not, that was their mistake and to me it's kinda crappy to bail instantly. It might have been their first time running it, but they had watched videos, understood it, or even had done it before but didn't finish the fight before the group disbanded. Could even be a returning player on a new account/alt that's done it before. Insta-bail won't tell you any of that. Ask a few questions, then make the decision.
    80% of the time the PF indicated. Also note that I never bailed right away. Believe it or not despite my stance on a lot of issues I love helping people and teaching them things. I also like learning new things. That probably gives some perspective into my thought process. I can't give help if I can't see their data you know?

This might shine a lot of light on where we're seeing different experiences in different levels of content.

Last time I saw it? EVERY DAMN RUN in Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria's LFR (didn't do any group content in WoD as I played 1 month & ran LFR once in Legion). LF freaking R where, like you said, you could bounce your face on the keyboard and still do enough DPS for the content at that time. Yet that's where the people in top raiding gear seemed to enjoy spamming DPS Meter results and shit talking anyone who didn't meet their decided minimal requirements. Were some clearly not even trying and getting carried? Sure. Justification to be a total ass? Nope.
    Interesting. More recently than I actually expected. Ironically and this is going to sound terrible, I've done LFR once. In my entire time playing. It was the one wing with Lei Shen. I missed MOP, and I don't remember why I did LFR, but that's it. Since I don't do LFR that could explain why I fail to associate with many players on here about the "elitism". That said, drawing any kind of conclusion from that alleged cesspool is pretty terrible reasoning too.

What if an in-game parser and DPS meter was added, but restricted to only be useable in pre-made groups? Probably not ideal for some, but another possible compromise? My main concern is that experience has been try hard top tier raiders like to use it in content designed for more casual players to belittle and demean people and that's what pisses me off. People are meeting mechanics, enemies are dying, nobody's dying themselves = everything is going fine in duty finder.

Savage, I understand a need to understand what's not falling into place and resulting in problems.
    This is a very fair compromise. Again, remember my earlier example. If we kill the boss and I look at the meters and a DPS in relevant gear did less than a tank by a meaningful margin, something needs to be addressed.

Other than that, I agree that any other use is likely unnecessary.

You're describing my experience with pre-made groups as well, it's when you are using matchmaking/party finder/duty finder that I regularly see the assholes using every opportunity to be assholes. And then people get negative and bitter and start acting like assholes back...only then they carry it on to be assholes to others themselves and the sickness spreads from there.
    Preach.

Oh how I want to violate forum rules and post the otter at the table "u havin' a giggle" gif.
    is that the one where the otter jumps over the table and attacks the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Last time I really bothered for FFXIV was Bahamut Turn 5 5th week in I believe. At that point gear was really scarce for everyone. To put in perspective, first team got in at 3rd week. Think about 3 or 4 got in at week 4. Just due to stress (staying up way too long) and scheduling we never really bothered afterwards.
    Your raid group killed Twintania in less than a month? That would imply that you were not only in an extremely hardcore guild, but one of the best. Which guild/server was that?

And if he doesn't have ACT on, I would still perform at that rate, okay? The only thing it provides is a confirmation.
    I never said they're bad. Where did I say they're bad? It's something that I've been neutral about, as I understand the arguments for both side and see the benefits and cons to it. I have no standing towards it.
    So for a few things. Since I pretty much just play SMN/SCH if someone doesn't know when to use CD they're not going to now any more if they see ACT. It takes someone with knowledge to point out the issues and if they don't then they're not going to know. ACT is a tool not a guide. All it gives is numbers.
    Maybe I am misremembering, but I recall you being a very staunch defending of the no meter movement. I'll have to go scour the old pages sometime to confirm. It's possible I am mistaken.

ACT is much more than just numbers. It's true that without spending time understanding it the data is of less value, but learning the data is valuable as well. You learn much more about the game systems.

Also really... all your examples come down to do the mechanics properly. As a healer I can tell if people aren't stacking up or what they're dieing to. It's called being observant. You don't need ACT to get that information.
    Lazy more often than not. I don't want to play to be the best, I don't bother with that anymore. That's something I did during BC/LK raiding. I didn't bother with cata.
    So you know exactly how much HP the DRG had when he was ko'd by raid damage? You know exactly how long he had gone without a single heal from either healer without looking at it? You know exactly what cooldowns he had available and those he didn't to help mitigate it?

Is it that weird to see someone do their own stuff by the way? Since you seem to ask for something extremely long and annoying to type out. Or any reason you seem to need to be better than others?
    Not weird at all, in fact your response was very mature and well presented until you threw in that little jab about me apparently having an inferiority complex lol.

I was merely interested in the depth of analysis you did. I'm not theorycrafter. I do my own stuff too, but a lot more based on internal testing rather than the math.

Oh and just so we're clear. I have no issues with people being better than me. In fact I play like shit when I'm the best person because I'm not challenged by anyone. That's who I am. I elevate myself to other peoples level. When I am at the top I am bored so I try to elevate other people to my level. I love rivalry and competition (as evident by my posts).

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I agree with @Faroth and @Remilia but understand where @Wrecktangle is coming from.

Based on a thread (may hev been this one from a while ago) Wrecktangle is a "hardcore" player who strives to be at the top of the meters, pushing high end content and is an elitist (not in a bad way, just has performance expectations and is very clear about them, excluding people who don't take them seriously which is understandable). So parsers and things like this allow for a very granular view of the battles and provide valuable information necessary to continue pushing to the upper echelons of skill.
    To clarify - I am not a hardcore player. I play less than probably 90% of the people on here. You are correct that I strive to perform to the best of my ability.

I am not sure elitist is the right word for having performance expectations, but your actual analysis is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    In WoW, even currently in Legion, it's rare for me to get into a group where a meter isn't posted at the end of the run or to have some guy requesting that it be posted. Admittedly it almost never devolves into a shit posting type thing, and nothing comes of it, it's just an FYI type thing so it's not bad. But what does that do for the game as a whole? As I already stated, the folks who really care about performing are already going to be working on it with or without a number to go alongside it and those that don't aren't likely going to change their behavior just because of a number...if they even care enough to know what the numbers mean. So I'm not trying to say a meter in FFXIV would do harm, I'm just saying it's not likely to do anything at all to the overall game. I'm not opposed to it, per se, I just don't see the point.
    What type of content are you seeing meters posted? In legion, I don't see this in raids (organized or pugs), I don't see it in high level Mythic + (12-18). Is it LFR that you see this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your raid group killed Twintania in less than a month? That would imply that you were not only in an extremely hardcore guild, but one of the best. Which guild/server was that?
    Up to, not kill. We kind of fell apart a few weeks of attempt. Bad wording on my part. Twintania is an ass.
    Maybe I am misremembering, but I recall you being a very staunch defending of the no meter movement. I'll have to go scour the old pages sometime to confirm. It's possible I am mistaken.

ACT is much more than just numbers. It's true that without spending time understanding it the data is of less value, but learning the data is valuable as well. You learn much more about the game systems.
    It's possible I posted that they shouldn't put it, but it's not that I'm vehemently against it. It's something that I have no real for or against really. I'm personally fine with the don't ask don't tell of the situation but I can see how it can be abused sometimes. I'm just at that mid ground that just do whatever you want in this terms.
    So you know exactly how much HP the DRG had when he was ko'd by raid damage? You know exactly how long he had gone without a single heal from either healer without looking at it? You know exactly what cooldowns he had available and those he didn't to help mitigate it?
    This is notably only from my perspective as a healer, which is what I play 99% of the time. It's why I don't really need the tools for how people die. More than likely I already know why or what they died from. I actually don't play other classes that often so if you ask me how another class plays, chances are I'd have no idea
    I can see it from someone that's not in the role of the healer that doesn't pay attention that can see that information being useful.
    Not weird at all, in fact your response was very mature and well presented until you threw in that little jab about me apparently having an inferiority complex lol.

I was merely interested in the depth of analysis you did. I'm not theorycrafter. I do my own stuff too, but a lot more based on internal testing rather than the math.

Oh and just so we're clear. I have no issues with people being better than me. In fact I play like shit when I'm the best person because I'm not challenged by anyone. That's who I am. I elevate myself to other peoples level. When I am at the top I am bored so I try to elevate other people to my level. I love rivalry and competition (as evident by my posts).
    I feel snarky today. >.>
    I don't know, sometimes it feels that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with no dps meter, as most encounters in this game, while still considered progression, are more mechanics check than dps check.

Sure, you still need good dps to beat the typically strict checks in place, but most wipes in progression groups are from failure to follow mechanics, not dps checks.

The same people who fail mechanics are usually the same ones who fail dps min/max anyhow.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    I'm fine with no dps meter, as most encounters in this game, while still considered progression, are more mechanics check than dps check.

Sure, you still need good dps to beat the typically strict checks in place, but most wipes in progression groups are from failure to follow mechanics, not dps checks.

The same people who fail mechanics are usually the same ones who fail dps min/max anyhow.
    Its very much both dps and mechanic checks in this game. Creator did not have any hard dps checks but midas and gordias... boy oh boy.

EDIT: Speaking about savage of course... normal is a joke

What type of content are you seeing meters posted? In legion, I don't see this in raids (organized or pugs), I don't see it in high level Mythic + (12-18). Is it LFR that you see this?
    Heroics, LFR, Mythic+0...I don't do anything that requires an organized group really, and try to stay out of Group Finder...not because I have anything against it but because my main classes are all DPS and since I'm a super average geared player with no uber achievements or anything 99/100 groups deny me or simply let my group application expire so I haven't even seen Karazhan Mythic yet.

Mostly dungeons and recently the EX's. I have heard that Ozma was not fun for a lot of people (which brings me immeasurable joy as a huge FF9 fan, one that struggled to beat Ozma himself his first playthrough back when I was like 14).
    Ozma wasn't fun for the first week or two, but as with most of the 24 man raids, they were adjusted to and once people learned it, it wasn't so bad. I do love the 24 man raid tuning more than the complete lack of anything that WoW's LFR was (and still seems to be). Plus being a totally separate story to itself rather than just gutted mechanics is really nice.

Interesting. More recently than I actually expected. Ironically and this is going to sound terrible, I've done LFR once. In my entire time playing. It was the one wing with Lei Shen. I missed MOP, and I don't remember why I did LFR, but that's it. Since I don't do LFR that could explain why I fail to associate with many players on here about the "elitism". That said, drawing any kind of conclusion from that alleged cesspool is pretty terrible reasoning too.
    Mm, I started piecing together an expectation of difference in raid experiences here, but I think the conclusion is fair to reach. By giving tools to people that can be abused, they will be abused. Add in the good ol' Internet Fuckwad Theory and that' what you get. I did LFR in MoP because our 10 man had become a 3 man, I think. I did LFR in Cataclysm because it was new and our 10 man hadn't really reformed after a break (we did reform and tackle normal 10 man raid, though), so some of us used that to get a leg up on seeing it.

This is a very fair compromise. Again, remember my earlier example. If we kill the boss and I look at the meters and a DPS in relevant gear did less than a tank by a meaningful margin, something needs to be addressed.

Other than that, I agree that any other use is likely unnecessary.
    I think I'd be pretty comfortable with this idea. I think it gives the tool to those who could benefit from it and prevents the asshats from abusing it elsewhere.

is that the one where the otter jumps over the table and attacks the guy?
    That's the one. Or at least, that's what it looks like. I've seen the video it's from.... he's actually just an overweight otter having trouble getting his pudgy belly onto the table for food. And when he makes it, he lays on the table putting food in his mouth and eating it while laying on his back all adorable as hell.

But the gif version with the text added is way more hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Its very much both dps and mechanic checks in this game. Creator did not have any hard dps checks but midas and gordias... boy oh boy.

EDIT: Speaking about savage of course... normal is a joke
    Well, they didn't have 'em in Soul of the Creator because the hardcore raiders were vocal about them being too punishing in Midas and Gordias. Will be interesting to see where the team places things in Stormwblood.

Personally, I kinda liked 2.x with Bahamut being hard and Savage being for a title and bragging rights. I didn't mind waiting til next expansion to go back and do it and I'm a little uncertain of the WoW route of adding more and more varying levels of difficulty to the same raids, but we'll see. I think they're sticking with normal/savage, right?

I did notice they mentioned finishing the last wing of Savage in Stormblood would unlock something new that would be exclusive to them. Savage +: 'What is even wrong with you, why are you the way you are, seek therapy' mode?

Also, my request got lost in the discussion:

Anyone recommend good samurai anime and movies so I can immerse myself in samurhype? Assuming I can find time to watch them.... Horizon: Zero Dawn, relic to finish, and Switch/Zelda are all this week. T-T
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-02-28 at 02:32 AM.

Savage + is probably what the old savage was. Something optional that's extra hard but doesn't reward you with better gear.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-02-28 at 03:53 AM.

3.55a patch notes

- New anima quest
    - Zhloe Aliapoah stuff for crafters/gatherers
    - Proto Ultima trial (24 man)
    - Umbrite cost cut in half (150 each instead of 300). Probably not going to tempt me into making another...for now until I get the new quests done and finish PLD weapon.
    - Grade 5 crafting/gathering materia sold for red scrips aka finally reason to do those again

Patch is up for download. Ofc servers are still down.

8:30 AM. Servers seem to be up.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-28 at 08:38 AM.

bleh, i knew they couldnt change the number of umbrites easily so expected this, still i have like 6 or 7 hyper conductives and 2 more on the way and only a third done of my nothungs umbrites. I think illl do NIN/AST and DRK and just leave the rest for content lulls in SB like i did with the other ARR relics in HW.

10+ Year Old Account
    9.8€ for emotes and, 7€ for 2 trees and felt mat + parasol.

Guess I won't eat for the remainder of the month.

Final 275 BiS relic quest: go do bowel of embers, howling eye and the navel hard modes.

What.