Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    So, exorsus bent rules on Gul'dan, now everyone must suffer because of that?
    Ban russians, leave normal folk alone.
    It's the same as finding a bug on a PTR and not reporting it for your own advantage. Blizzard now knows that this kind of advantage is unfair and now they ban it
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's the same as finding a bug on a PTR and not reporting it for your own advantage. Blizzard now knows that this kind of advantage is unfair and now they ban it
    Blizzard knew about this since i think archi and did 0 to prevent it, exorsus just took it WAY too far.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I'm gonna miss KNP name-only mode so much...
    I actually asked one of Blizz devs if he could add CVar for this, and also add one to apply class colour nameplate text. When I get a reply on that one, I'll post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I do agree that they should update the UI and overall HUD, it is very archaic and quite frankly the coding on it must be still back in the World vanilla period unless they have edited it but judging from how UI overall addons like ElvUI make things like FPS better and sometimes MS (that does depend on your layout and other things), it suggests to me it hasn't had so much love as it could have.
    You'd be surprised how much of it was rewritten recently, although some parts are practically untouched since late TBC / early WotLK

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    I actually asked one of Blizz devs if he could add CVar for this, and also add one to apply class colour nameplate text. When I get a reply on that one, I'll post in this thread.

You'd be surprised how much of it was rewritten recently, although some parts are practically untouched since late TBC / early WotLK
    Yeah, I know it must have seen some editing to fit in with new systems or take old ones out but it still probably has more additions to the base code than simply re-writing it all which is sad because it probably is one of the most important parts of the game really haha. As much as the race models are. I must admit my original post does give the impression at the lack of acknowledgement to Blizzard but yeah I know they have to change it. Just not as much as they really should!

Blizzard knew about this since i think archi and did 0 to prevent it, exorsus just took it WAY too far.
    TBH, Blizzard didn't expect something like this, they didn't expect EnemyGrid either...

Deleted
    They had two choices now that everyone saw the gul'dan video. Either remove this or have dbm monkey it on the next patch and it being mandatory tool that makes things easier while limiting design.

Yeah, I know it must have seen some editing to fit in with new systems or take old ones out but it still probably has more additions to the base code than simply re-writing it all which is sad because it probably is one of the most important parts of the game really haha. As much as the race models are. I must admit my original post does give the impression at the lack of acknowledgement to Blizzard but yeah I know they have to change it. Just not as much as they really should!
    Oh, no, they actually write quite a lot of C and Lua UI code, they usually focus on newer systems or older system they (re)use atm, if something isn't used or works well w/o any edits, they don't touch it.

One of golden rules of programming says: "If it's not broken then don't fix it".

One of golden rules of programming says: "If it's not broken then don't fix it".

/looks @ tab targeting
    /sighs
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

I don't know why people are up in arms.
    Because they are deleting customized friendly nameplates which tens of thousands of people use, for the sake of fixing an issue that concerns a few hundred of people racing for world 1st (noone cares who got world 50 guldan and what addons they used). No one argues that the issue should NOT be fixed. People are angry because they are being forced back into the unreadable default crap names. In case you are not familiar

http://imgur.com/a/jevlb

- - - Updated - - -

That would immediately turn this change into a non-issue. Fingers crossed.

/looks @ tab targeting
    /sighs
    Well, that shit was wonky since late WotLK / early Cata T_T

Next iteration of Tab targeting (in 7.2) is much better, I'm playing as a tank and range DD and I love new tab targeting
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-03-02 at 12:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait.. Is this gonna affect TidyPlates?
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Because they are deleting customized friendly nameplates which tens of thousands of people use, for the sake of fixing an issue that concerns a few hundred of people racing for world 1st (noone cares who got world 50 guldan and what addons they used). No one argues that the issue should NOT be fixed. People are angry because they are being forced back into the unreadable default crap names. In case you are not familiar

http://imgur.com/a/jevlb

- - - Updated - - -

That would immediately turn this change into a non-issue. Fingers crossed.
    The force back won't probably last indefinitely. If you recall they even said 'though they encourage it' because it's good for their business, an exploit is not. They will allow it back whether as something new to avoid the exploit (and perhaps fixing tab targeting) but it's an easier solution to stop the exploits of the game which is Terms and Service you agree to when you pay to use their product.
    And who said that others won't use the exploit? If they see these world racers do it and nothing happens then further down the chain to PuGs with casuals, they will do it. After all, people use videos made by these higher up players as a way by default to do bosses so there's your chain of relation and why Blizzard appears to be so heavy-handed because there is a big audience out their that will soak it up thanks to the internet and freedom of this information.
    I could understand if it's enemy nameplates here but in relation to being only friendly nameplates, I use friendly nameplates at times but I know that enemy ones are far more relied on to which is the majority of players in whether dungeon, raid, world boss and so on. Friendly nameplates haven't been adapted but yes customisation and having a thorough slick UI that all marries up is on people's minds, your image is a good example of what I'm speaking of. And what Blizzard knows is happening. People are just turning on friendly nameplates to use the exploit, all that displays in your image is the class colour, font change and guild which in the heat of the battle, I don't think knowing their guild or title is that important. Compared to enemy plates which can display debuffs and casts that people rely on quite heavily. That's why all in all it's quite flippant to the bigger picture.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-03-02 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Wait.. Is this gonna affect TidyPlates?
    Only the friendly players parts, which I seriously can't believe anyone uses.
    Honestly, some people are acting like they are removing raid and party frames from the game.

They are removing the bars that pop up over people's heads of you press shift v, which are almost totally useless.
    Who honestly uses those to heal? That's such a poor way of doing things you should be thanking them for getting you to move to a better system >_>

Oh, no, they actually write quite a lot of C and Lua UI code, they usually focus on newer systems or older system they (re)use atm, if something isn't used or works well w/o any edits, they don't touch it.

Yeah, but those systems barely interact with say unitframes or the spell area to click buttons if you know what I mean, it's quite minimal. I think that analogy applies to most things but technology wise, you probably know it can cause kickbacks. With it being 12 years old, it's much like the racial models... Kinda deserves a facelift!

all that displays in your image is the class colour, font change and guild which in the heat of the battle, I don't think knowing their guild or title is that important.
    Clearly visible friendly names with class colors (you turn off guildname display when raiding) are a very big quality of life improvement in raids and PvP. They instantly make most people 100% more aware of who is standing where so they can make snap calls directed at specific people. With that option removed you go back to having to target the guy to see who it is. I don't consider that engaging gameplay, its a chore that KUI name - only mode removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    They are removing the bars that pop up over people's heads of you press shift v, which are almost totally useless.
    Who honestly uses those to heal? That's such a poor way of doing things you should be thanking them for getting you to move to a better system >_>
    They are not removing any bars.

One stop closer to Vanilla.

No, that's not it.

You simply don't understand fundamentals of either programming or game development from programmers perspective. All your guesses/assumptions are simply wrong.
    Why do you come on the Internet and just make up a bunch of BS about things which you have no clue at all about?

Of course Blizzard could limit what you can do to nameplates in combat, like they for example already have done with a lot of what you can do with unitframes.

For example addons cannot change the order of players in your raid frames in combat. The reason why Blizzard doesn't want you to be able to do that is because they don't want raid frame addons to be able to for example organize players based on how much health they have (like putting low health players at the top).

You've been posting obsessively in this thread, even though you are shockingly clueless and have nothing to gain. Just step away from the keyboard and calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiyr View Post
    You've been posting obsessively in this thread, even though you are shockingly clueless and have nothing to gain. Just step away from the keyboard and calm down.
    О_о kek

I said nothing wrong though, probably? If so, please, point it out, and if I indeed was wrong, I'll gladly apologise for the mistake.

-- edit #1

On a side note...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiyr View Post
    Of course Blizzard could limit what you can do to nameplates in combat, like they for example already have done with a lot of what you can do with unitframes.
    Current nameplates (nameplates, not their bases) are insecure, and they left them insecure, cuz they didn't want to limit our ability to customise them. I'm not going to sieve through half a year of IRC logs to find Dan's words on this topic. Even if they made them secure, it wouldn't prevent anything in this particular case, cuz it's done via textures, and textures are always insecure.

Another alternative could be introduction of secure textures and fonstrings and corresponding templates, but, IMHO, that'd cause a lot more issues than solve anything
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-03-02 at 04:31 PM.

Clearly visible friendly names with class colors (you turn off guildname display when raiding) are a very big quality of life improvement in raids and PvP. They instantly make most people 100% more aware of who is standing where so they can make snap calls directed at specific people. With that option removed you go back to having to target the guy to see who it is. I don't consider that engaging gameplay, its a chore that KUI name - only mode removed.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not removing any bars.
    What life improvement do they provide in your eyes? As a healer who is probably most likely to use them because tanks will be facing most bosses and adds therefore enemy nameplates are needed to be visible, damagers also need to see said frames for that reason which leaves healers.
    I've seen healers and what they can use, raid frames are used more and the healer will most likely be using them to display health, buffs and/or debuffs, range and so on. Mouseover macros are left but even then with raidframes in play you just have to use range provided to do so then mouse over. I haven't used default raid frames but even then I recall it having built in range detector.
    PvP well, with the push to have casuals in it more, I wouldn't wholly like to say but I don't think they would use friendly nameplates over enemy. Sure they to see enemy players bar the healers but even then you have range capabilities in the unit frames provided to 'see' where people are close by. The majority is going to be mouseover macros left over from this which with how addons go, the macro is around but people who make addons make it easier to drop these macros.

This is just like a storm in a teacup. If you don't like that they are preventing an exploit that will screw the game later then by all means unsub to show your distaste. I honestly think people who use them will likely turn them off in cities and such because gaining access to an auction house must be a pain in the arse.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-03-02 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    With the amount of anger part of me hopes that second sentence comes true.

The fun thing is i'd assume this is directed at star augur? The execution of doing the fire nova and then having the whole raid team spread with limited room is harder than the actual color touching mechanic. It doesn't seem like that much of an issue but it makes me wonder whats to come in the next raid tier.
    most likely the gul'dan one