N O S T A L G I A

Thread over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Yes we are still discussing it precisely because the game DID change, it DID evolve, Blizzard adapted to the changing market.

A few words taken completely out of context. Vanilla had a LOT of growing pains, ones that many like to forget or gloss over. Legion also has its issues.

I loved my glass cannon specs in Vanilla... doesn't mean that was good class design.

We are also talking about completely different games for completely different times. 30 year old me wouldn't have the patience for vanilla wow and dial-up internet. To that end 18 year old me would fucking love playing a DH and the lore of legion, coming right off of WCIII.

The OPs title is very one sided. "What made classic wow better than current?" is more of a statement than a question it doesn't actually leave a whole lot of room for discussion. Classic wow isn't better than current.

As stated from the post you misrepresented and contextually misquoted, I explained that nearly every argument describing why one is better than the other is completely fallacious.

Guys please... You can be nostalgic about vanilla WoW without senselessly hating on Legion.

Perhaps you should apply that sense you clearly think you have and strengthen your arguments rather than trying to pick a fight with the one guy that remained pretty neutral who was really pointing out the irony in the question, and the futility of such a discussion.

*Angry poster with rose colored glasses sees enemies everywhere*
    I agree that the title is dumb - in my opinion, the whole thread was a bad attempt to troll the MMO-C community, because everyone already knew how the thread is going to evolve.

As i already said several times, i am NOT playing Vanilla (but i played it 18 months ago with 2 level 60s, thus, i also do not have rose tinted glasses), but i do play and love Legion. I see room for both because, in my opinion, they are 2 very different games with a different target group. If Vanilla WoW was as bad as the community here says, then i wonder how the game was such a success and if i played another vanilla wow than some of the guys here did.

From a neutral point of view, the thread reads like some guys say "We want to play vanilla" and the anti-vanilla faction automatically responds with "No you don´t, it was the worst game ever".

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorElmo View Post
    From a neutral point of view, the thread reads like some guys say "We want to play vanilla" and the anti-vanilla faction automatically responds with "No you don´t, it was the worst game ever".
    that isn't a neutral point of view because ppl aren't saying 'we want to play vanilla' if ppl want to play it they've already found a way.

someone will say 'waiting for tanks for 2-3hrs was shit the game is a lot less waiting around today'

followed by 'what!? waiting for tanks for 3 hrs was the best part of the game, its all casual now' :/

what one person found to be tedious, someone else managed to see that as a core part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    So in other words, farming gear and AP from mythic plus doesn't make an encounter easier just as farming resistance gear back in the day didn't make an encounter easier?
    The resistance fights just weren't that special, lets take hydross, who was in TBC not vanilla but we'll roll with it, you had one tank farm frost resist gear and another tank farm nature resist gear, they'd use that gear for that one boss and then, not use it anywhere else. I think there was some depth in resistances, blizzard on the other hand did not. instead of resistance based fights, today we have just overall way more complex encounters. hydross was probably the only boss ever created that resistances played a large part in, other bosses required 1 resist, like mother sharaz only hydross required 2 tanks with different resists, the encounter itself was rather simplistic.

its the way the game is balanced today aswell, as soon as one element type does less damage entire specs are thrown out on that fight. blizzard didn't want ppl to be forced to play a spec because they do sub par damage in their main spec. creating boss fights which just remove specs from being viable isn't the best game design. not when your trying to make them all viable. this is known as pissing into the wind.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-03-03 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    The resistance fights just weren't that special, lets take hydross, who was in TBC not vanilla but we'll roll with it, you had one tank farm frost resist gear and another tank farm nature resist gear, they'd use that gear for that one boss and then, not use it anywhere else. I think there was some depth in resistances, blizzard on the other hand did not. instead of resistance based fights, today we have just overall way more complex encounters. hydross was probably the only boss ever created that resistances played a large part in, other bosses required 1 resist, like mother sharaz only hydross required 2 tanks with different resists, the encounter itself was rather simplistic.

its the way the game is balanced today aswell, as soon as one element type does less damage entire specs are thrown out on that fight. blizzard didn't want ppl to be forced to play a spec because they do sub par damage in their main spec. creating boss fights which just remove specs from being viable isn't the best game design. not when your trying to make them all viable. this is known as pissing into the wind.
    This is once again a matter of preference and taste, my main was a Feral Druid Tank at the time, i had to farm those items the entire expansion because i also needed them to tank illidan's adds, and i liked it, it gave you something different to pursue, you had to do a bit of investigation for some special items, quest rewards even you might have missed etc. It this like gamebreaking awesome tech? Ofc not, it's just another layer of character completion, i enjoyed it. In comparison, now it's too streamlined, you get your gear, the best you can, and you basicly wait for a ilvl upgrade that has your desired stats, and you're done.

Preference and taste, nothing else.

It would have probably been better if they did more with it is what i was trying to get at, there just weren't enough resistance fights for it to feel meaningful. today ppl are way more min/max orientated and so if there were resist fights ppl just wouldn't use specs that do inherently less damage.

I think they should have kept resistances and just made spell penetration more common. but its not a massive loss to me, the fights today are still quite complex the first time you do them. i miss resistances because they were another stat you increased it was its own dynamic, again, i don't think they did enough with it.

for the most part it got to the point that you didn't need to stack it, iirc mother sharaz was doable with like priest buff and the bt attunement neck, you didn't need to go out of your way to get enough resistances in the end.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-03-03 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    So in other words, farming gear and AP from mythic plus doesn't make an encounter easier just as farming resistance gear back in the day didn't make an encounter easier?
    So you're ignoring the fact that resistance gear is something apart of your current gear that you must keep always in your bags, and replace your current gear with it every time you go to raid Ahn'Qiraj? Having high resistances were required to survive the bosses' mechanics. Nowadays, having the 'wrong' gear or very few or no AP spent on your artifact wouldn't prevent you from surviving boss mechanics, or even from downing the bosses. On of that, it also saves a lot of inventory space, not having to carry extra sets of gear with resistance on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So you're ignoring the fact that resistance gear is something apart of your current gear that you must keep always in your bags, and replace your current gear with it every time you go to raid Ahn'Qiraj? Having high resistances were required to survive the bosses' mechanics. Nowadays, having the 'wrong' gear or very few or no AP spent on your artifact wouldn't prevent you from surviving boss mechanics, or even from downing the bosses. On of that, it also saves a lot of inventory space, not having to carry extra sets of gear with resistance on them.
    I only played this expansion at the very begining but from what i've read you actually need to have a minimum of traits to actually have a chance of downing some bosses since they are tunned around that value, isn't it so? If what i've read is correct, then your "no AP spent wouldn'd prevent you from downing bosses" isn't the most accurate sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    I only played this expansion at the very begining but from what i've read you actually need to have a minimum of traits to actually have a chance of downing some bosses since they are tunned around that value, isn't it so?
    I never heard of anything of the sort. The vast majority of artifact traits only slightly improve already existing abilities, and give you one new ability. And none of the improvements or the new abilities are 'game-changer' at all that you must have it in order to kill a boss. Also the # of traits bought only increases your stamina by a small amount, not your damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played EQ before starting Vanilla. Just comparing the two WoW came across as "better" in some regards. Pair that with the rose tinted glasses of memory (read: we usually forget the bad and recall the good) Vanilla holds a special place in my mind. I think that is part of why people think Vanilla was great.

I looked at some WoW emus and couldn't help but find myself frequently missing current features.

That being said the current state of WoW is leaps and bounds ahead of Vanilla due to the QoL enhancements that have been made over the years.

I never heard of anything of the sort. The vast majority of artifact traits only slightly improve already existing abilities, and give you one new ability. And none of the improvements or the new abilities are 'game-changer' at all that you must have it in order to kill a boss. Also the # of traits bought only increases your stamina by a small amount, not your damage.
    I think they expected ppl to be at least 35 by 7.2 and only the most dedicated would cap it. I started over xmas and i'm at 47 nearly, then again i only raid normal/heroic so haven't felt that i needed to grind ap to over come the encounters, most of it is still down to execution and just not failing at the mechanics.

The question is nonsensical. It's like asking why ice is hotter than fire.
    The current WoW is far better than classic ever was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    ... maybe like 3 replaced models were superior before the replacement, 4 old replaced zones (like thousand needles, it was superior before and such things are missing currently to make the game complete), that's it ... there's hundreds of models and dozens of zones now
    So glad I'm not the only one who likes old Thousand Needles better. I generally don't like zones to require extra items to navigate through - so far it's only the new Thousand Needles which requires one but still.
    In the new zone you need to have a boat just to sail in the emptiness until you get to the needles which have quests on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think they expected ppl to be at least 35 by 7.2 and only the most dedicated would cap it. I started over xmas and i'm at 47 nearly, then again i only raid normal/heroic so haven't felt that i needed to grind ap to over come the encounters, most of it is still down to execution and just not failing at the mechanics.
    Exactly.

On top of that, AP comes naturally. You get AP from killing dungeon and raid bosses, you get AP from some quest rewards, some OH missions give AP, as well as some World Quests. Hell, even doing PvP you get AP. In other words, you don't have to go out of your way to get AP, unlike resistance gear.

Deleted
    *Grabs Rose tinted glasses*

What i think wow currently could use from classic up til early Wotlk(mostly tbc tho) was group based buffs, since the game currently is rather balanced from PvE stand point it could bring back some of that RPG feeling to the game, and imho more utility spells and spells in general could be brought back to the game.
    Only thing im not happy about the current wow(Dont get me wrong here, i love legion so far!) is that it feels like lacking the old rpg/DnD feel, like swapping weapons as a warrior, as a shadow priest not able to use certain holy abilities, fire mages cant use certain abilities from arcane or frost specs even tho being spell casters.
    And stats ofc it would be nice to see more stats being added back to the game, like expertice if i recall correctly, having to balance out certain stats as a tank for example archimonde in Mount Hyjal Raid, if you had really well geared warrior tank the boss wasnt able to hit you and thus you couldnt generate any rage to build threat .
    Just some rambling but in the end the game isnt just what is was, and the current game works for me and many other players. I would just personally love to see more of the Rpg feel being added back to the game. *sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    The question is nonsensical. It's like asking why ice is hotter than fire.
    The current WoW is far better than classic ever was.

- - - Updated - - -

So glad I'm not the only one who likes old Thousand Needles better. I generally don't like zones to require extra items to navigate through - so far it's only the new Thousand Needles which requires one but still.
    In the new zone you need to have a boat just to sail in the emptiness until you get to the needles which have quests on them.
    if only it was filled with hidden treasure chest and things to interact with but no. they really need to add the very different old world as it was before with no new model (which would defeat the purpose, a game is set in stone once released, like a console game) somehow, they can do it technically and if it's a long and boring work to do and adapt I bet some people on earth would be willing to do it for free (for instance me)

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if only it was filled with hidden treasure chest and things to interact with but no. they really need to add the very different old world as it was before with no new model (which would defeat the purpose, a game is set in stone once released, like a console game) somehow, they can do it technically and if it's a long and boring work to do and adapt I bet some people on earth would be willing to do it for free (for instance me)
    Ah, referring to an older discussion of us on adding the old world to Caverns of Time I see
    Yes, I also still think it's very possible to do it technically. Maybe there are a few limitations but nothing which couldn't be overcome somehow.
    If someone started a petition for doing it for free I'd gladly sign it.
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2017-03-03 at 02:40 PM.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lt-for-burnout

^^ this was where i saw it. Content tunned for 54 traits they say.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lt-for-burnout

^^ this was where i saw it. Content tunned for 54 traits they say.
    ... Where? At no point in that video they say anything about "content tuned for 54 traits".

... Where? At no point in that video they say anything about "content tuned for 54 traits".
    Take it up with the several ppl that commented on that thread, not me. As i told you i stopped at the beggining of the expantion and just read that recently

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    Ah, referring to an older discussion of us on adding the old world to Caverns of Time I see
    Yes, I also still think it's very possible to do it technically. Maybe there are a few limitations but nothing which couldn't be overcome somehow.
    If someone started a petition for doing it for free I'd gladly sign it.
    Problem is that it will never be possible without having Blizzard hiring you to do it. They can do it technically but time is money, they got to survive, if they don't have the guarantee that it will give a decent return on time invested they won't do it until some employee decide to do it for free maybe in a very long time for the sake of having a "complete" video game.

Take it up with the several ppl that commented on that thread, not me. As i told you i stopped at the beggining of the expantion and just read that recently
    As if people that commented on the thread mean jack crap. That would be like taking anything people are saying in this thread as Blizz's official stance on the matter.

Come on now, you can do better than that.