Page 45 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Check it cats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGJshXgOwU

A 3.9ghz overclock on the 1700 gets its pretty dam close to a 7700k in GTA 5. Also paul missed a chance to praise the 1700 here, the 1800x went to over 80c during the cinebench run at 4.0ghz and the 1700 barely went over 50c at 3.9ghz lol.

Man i cant wait to get a 1700 into my PC lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Check it cats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGJshXgOwU

A 3.9ghz overclock on the 1700 gets its pretty dam close to a 7700k in GTA 5. Also paul missed a chance to praise the 1700 here, the 1800x went to over 80c during the cinebench run at 4.0ghz and the 1700 barely went over 50c at 3.9ghz lol.

Man i cant wait to get a 1700 into my PC lol.
    Ryzen undervolts itself automatically when the OC mode isn't turned on, he was probably on insane temps due to overvoltage which is understandable since most of the reviewers don't know how it works yet.

82°C sounds like overclocked numbers tbqh
    35°C under load is clearly not overclocked.

My 4770K runs at 77-84°C when overclocked and under heavy load.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Ryzen undervolts itself automatically when the OC mode isn't turned on, he was probably on insane temps due to overvoltage which is understandable since most of the reviewers don't know how it works yet.
    No that is normal from what ive seen on the overclock .net boards. x chips are getting super hot, and the 1700 is an amazing little chip that barely gets hot at all. Someone explained it as the 1700 being a low leakage chip, and its normal.

Just another reason no one should be buying an x chip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    82°C sounds like overclocked numbers tbqh
    35°C under load is clearly not overclocked.

My 4770K runs at 77-84°C when overclocked and under heavy load.
    Get a 1700 and enjoy sub 60c 8 core overclock load temps with a decent cooler

10+ Year Old Account
    No that is normal from what ive seen on the overclock .net boards. x chips are getting super hot, and the 1700 is an amazing little chip that barely gets hot at all. Someone explained it as the 1700 being a low leakage chip, and its normal.

Just another reason no one should be buying an x chip.
    They're all built on the same process, with different default configurations. I really don't want to link The Stilt's review for the 10th time but he has an entire section on the voltage regulation thing and how turning on the OC mode increases temps and power consumption even if you don't touch the actual clocks.

They're all built on the same process, with different default configurations. I really don't want to link The Stilt's review for the 10th time but he has an entire section on the voltage regulation thing and how turning on the OC mode increases temps and power consumption even if you don't touch the actual clocks.

All i know my dude, is every single person who ive seen overclock the 1700 is on average ~20c cooler than a similarly overclocked 1700x or 1800x, and that makes me a happy fellow

10+ Year Old Account
    All i know my dude, is every single person who ive seen overclock the 1700 is on average ~20c cooler than a similarly overclocked 1700x or 1800x, and that makes me a happy fellow
    If that's really the case, I didn't check temps so I really don't know, so why is that the case? Seems odd. I still think they're just overvolting it. The 1700 probably has a lower default voltage.

If that's really the case, I didn't check temps so I really don't know, so why is that the case? Seems odd. I still think they're just overvolting it. The 1700 probably has a lower default voltage.
    I dont know why, best explanation from the ryzen owners thread is that the TDP of 65w and the fact that it is considered a "low leakage chip" is why we are seeing such low overclocked temps on the 1700.

And tbh i dont care lol, i love having cool running hardware in my rig, its like AMD made that chip just for me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Tell that to the investors dropping the stock, they seem to think gaming holds significant value.

The real judge will be AMD's quarterly earnings results, if they miss their goals, and they probably will, AMD could have trouble and hit the pink sheets.

Pink sheets, not good.
    If you like reasonably priced Intel processors then you better hope not because no AMD in the wings will result in very high priced Intel processors. Competition is a good thing.

I dont know why, best explanation from the ryzen owners thread is that the TDP of 65w and the fact that it is considered a "low leakage chip" is why we are seeing such low overclocked temps on the 1700.

And tbh i dont care lol, i love having cool running hardware in my rig, its like AMD made that chip just for me :P
    I thought the whole point of the -x suffix is that it has a dynamic clock that will push the envelope when it can hence higher temps.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Death threats are completely over the top. I would hope that they catch those people involved.

On a slightly different note, my problem with the GamersNexus can be summed up in one quote "It’s just not good for gaming". That's an absurd statement. 70% of his benchmarks were well over 100 FPS and he says "it's just not good for gaming".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Death threats are completely over the top. I would hope that they catch those people involved.

On a slightly different note, my problem with the GamersNexus can be summed up in one quote "It’s just not good for gaming". That's an absurd statement. 70% of his benchmarks were well over 100 FPS and he says "it's just not good for gaming".
    Agreed that death threats are overdoing it, but reading that review I couldn't shake impression that writer tried to present ryzen in worst possible light without actually lying/gimping the tests.

Bottom line is - ryzen is not as bad as some people think but it is also not as good as some seem to think it is. It is decent cpu that performs exactly were expected - it is 5-10% IPC slower than kaby (in some workloads) and ~12% slower on the clock(1800x vs 7700k) leaving us with (shocker) performance in single threaded tasks 5-25% worse - who could have seen that? That does not make it bad cpu, it just doesn't make it best on the market for games.

Some people (earlier in this thread) told me that I was wrong looking at company's policy regarding clocks(in gpus) and applying same logic to cpus. Guess what I was right.
    AMD releases their ship with clocks close to the upper limit leaving little room for OC. They did that with Fury cards, they did that with Polaris cards and they are doing it with ryzen chips

I honestly dont get the hate for ryzen. They are offering you a 8 core 16 thread CPU that is a perfectly capable gaming cpu as well for 330 bucks, that can overclock on sub 100 dollar motherboards (x99 boards START at 200).
    8 core 16 thread CPU's perfectly capable for gaming and overclocking on sub 100 dollar mother boards?

Don't that sound like the FX series from AMD?

There is a reason people are getting antsy from Ryzen and bringing the pain to AMD, namely Ryzen looks like, from a gaming perspective its FX all over again except you could OC the FX chips almost until the silicon was blue in the face, early reports, and my ignorant perspective suggests Ryzen is nowhere near as OC friendly. Gamers don't want to get burned by Ryzen, how can you blame the hate?

If I was using a workstation, I would be a fool not to get the 1800x, its half the price of Intel and within acceptable performance, its a fucking steal of a deal.

If I want to game, I'm choosing Intel, there is no valid argument otherwise when a stock I5 6600 outperforms the flagship 1800x in ANY game.

If I wanted a home PC for this and that, I would look for the best deal I could get.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    so I will happily stick to my 4790k, same performance in games and only 35c temps under load using a h100i cooler
    Please dont post BS here, we all have or had that same chip at one time. I have a 4790k machine in my computer room here, played on it for a year and it never ran that cool, maybe idle. Under load 70-75c

- - - Updated - - -

If you like reasonably priced Intel processors then you better hope not because no AMD in the wings will result in very high priced Intel processors. Competition is a good thing.
    This, and we need AMD, no matter how much everyone hates them, we need them.

I have no control over a company and the decisions they make, if AMD loses their ass over a product launch that did not meet customer, and more importantly investor expectations its on them. Competition is great, but if/when AMD goes under, I'll just have to pony up more fund-age to support my PC habit from Intel and have to take one less vacation to offset my purchases.

Honestly if you or anyone thinks the AMD hate is strong now, wait until their quarterly earnings and if they miss projections watch out. Its going to be a bloodbath.

15+ Year Old Account
    I knew Ryzen wasnt going to beat Intel in ipc when it comes to gaming. The point being here like Gray Matter said is....it is actually good for gaming. Is it better? Depends on what better is to you.

Lets just assume for a second that all you have to spend is 800 for a machine your going to tell me you will buy Intel over AMD especially if you game aat 1440 or higher?

I would call you a fool. In todays gaming world no one has just the game open, most stream, have twitter and god knows how many tabs of chrome open.

There is a niche to Ryzen, where it will fit exactly is determined by the user. I have one coming, I only care about WoW, BF1, GTA V, a few other steam titles and Ps, Ae, Pr and Lr

And for me, I think Ryzen may be just a bit better and the same cost as a 7700k. Am I going to toss the 6700k, hell no Im tossing the 6600k.

If all you do is game, then its a no brainer for you, use the 6600k.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    I have no control over a company and the decisions they make, if AMD loses their ass over a product launch that did not meet customer, and more importantly investor expectations its on them. Competition is great, but if/when AMD goes under, I'll just have to pony up more fund-age to support my PC habit from Intel and have to take one less vacation to offset my purchases.

Honestly if you or anyone thinks the AMD hate is strong now, wait until their quarterly earnings and if they miss projections watch out. Its going to be a bloodbath.
    It almost looks like you want that to happen.

heres to you hoping! \o/

If I was using a workstation, I would be a fool not to get the 1800x, its half the price of Intel and within acceptable performance, its a fucking steal of a deal.

If I want to game, I'm choosing Intel, there is no valid argument otherwise when a stock I5 6600 outperforms the flagship 1800x in ANY game.
    this

most stream
    rofl

chrome open.
    you dont need an octacore for that

10+ Year Old Account
    A Korean guy found a very creative way of picturing his benchmarks results, condensates multiple graphs in a single image which makes it easier to see if you're lazy to go over the graphs individually:

Deleted
    Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread but there's an AMA on reddit with some people of the AMD team

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...eon_and_other/

Some interesting tidbits:

Q: Why there is huge discrepancy is gaming benchmarks for reviewers today? Is this something related to BIOS update?

AMD_Robert - Technical Marketing
    In addition to Lisa's comments, there are also some variables that could affect performance:

1) Early motherboard BIOSes were certainly troubled: disabling unrelated features would turn off cores. Setting memory overclocks on some motherboards would disable boost. Some BIOS revisions would plain produce universally suppressed performance.

2) Ryzen benefits from disabling High Precision Event Timers (HPET). The timer resolution of HPET can cause an observer effect that can subtract performance. This is a BIOS option, or a function that can be disabled from the Windows command shell.

3) Ryzen benefits from enabling the High Performance power profile. This overrides core parking. Eventually we will have a driver that allows people to stay on balanced and disable core parking anyways. Gamers have been doing this for a while, too. I misspoke, here. I want to clarify the benefit: High Performance mode allows the CPU to update its voltage/clockspeed in 1ms, vs. the 30ms that it takes balanced mode. This is what our driver will accomplish. Apologies for the confusion!

These are just some examples of the early growing pains that can be overcome with time.

AMD_james Product Manager

1 We plan for AM4 to be around a long time. Future generations of processors will be delivered into the socket at many price points.

2 We are working with both the motherboard makers and game developers to address performance challenges. We want to ensure the best possible performance from Ryzen is delivered.

3 We definitely want to redefine the market by bringing Ryzen 7s multithread performance to the sub $500USD market. We see great results at higher resolutions for gaming, and as we work with developers on learning how to use Zen cores we expect to see an improved 1080p gaming experience as well.

AMD_Robert Technical Marketing

- ECC is not disabled. It works, but not validated for our consumer client platform.

- We do not plan to move to quad channel on Ryzen. (...) Memory controller is an area of improvement for us, but few consumer workloads are latency sensitive in the DRAM subsystem, and it was of greater significance to focus on cache, branch prediction, and engine throughput to lift our overall performance in Zen.