Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I only listened to the first track before I went and cooked dinner, but the vocals sounded a lot like Efrafa to me. It's a bit like FoE plus black metal, imo.
    Only 7 minutes in so far, but can definitely see where you're coming from. Still think it's a pity that FoE packed up and quit. Archivist feels 'happier' though, for some reason, and I'm not quite sure on how much I appreciate that. Still very much worth a listen at the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastodon are such a garbage band. It blows my mind to know they have so many fans when they write songs like Show Yourself. I just don't get t.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mybackhurts View Post
    Just found these guys, really enjoying the huge breakdowns

The hell man. I usually despise deathcore, lame as fuck. But this technical stuff is pretty awesome. Awesome drums, awesome vocals (Best vocals I've heared in a long time!) and the melodic parts are great too! But that outro... wow! Don't like the breakdown shit though. Will check this band out

That intro. I'm gonna listen to this entire album tomorrow. This would've made it (So far) in my top 10 albums from last year if I found out about it then...
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2017-03-11 at 11:05 PM.

For you fans of depressive black metal, this is one of the best songs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Hope you enjoy

here is the bandcamp link to the song for better audio quality https://grimlair.bandcamp.com/track/...celess-despair
    Last edited by Ashborer; 2017-03-12 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Don't mind me, just posting the AOTYSF from the most underrated band in post/alternative metal/rock history.

I got drunk with their drummer on my 28th birthday, nearly ten years ago. Awesome band. Still love their first two albums.

Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-03-12 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    The hell man. I usually despise deathcore, lame as fuck. But this technical stuff is pretty awesome. Awesome drums, awesome vocals (Best vocals I've heared in a long time!) and the melodic parts are great too! But that outro... wow! Don't like the breakdown shit though. Will check this band out
    There are a ton of deathcore bands that are pure garbage, but there are also some really great bands - All Shall Perish, Job for a Cowboy, The Faceless, Fallujah, Whitechapel, The Black Dahlia Murder are all fantastic imo. The whiny screamo shit gets on my nerves though for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only like these 2 deathcore bands, the rest is pretty much unfiltered garbage with anything above average proving to be a rare occassion.

Deleted
    There are a ton of deathcore bands that are pure garbage, but there are also some really great bands - All Shall Perish, Job for a Cowboy, The Faceless, Fallujah, Whitechapel, The Black Dahlia Murder are all fantastic imo. The whiny screamo shit gets on my nerves though for sure.
    I know all of them except Fallujah, dislike all of them too. Most deathcore is just chugga chugga and more breakdowns than you can count. Bland guitar work, bland vocals.

But this band is epic. The music is diverse, doesn't follow the usual song layout. The vocalist simply is amazing, many different styles. And the ambiance/synths in the songs give it an epic feeling. Lyrics are great too. I like them, and I never even played Halo. It's so technical, really appreciate it.

I never liked deathcore, it's just so boring to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I only like these 2 deathcore bands, the rest is pretty much unfiltered garbage with anything above average proving to be a rare occassion.

The main vocalist in Ovid's Withering has been accused of peadophilia though. I remember reading it about it at the time. Band members left during that time, and the vocalist just removed everything from facebook. All the comments, posts about other bandmembers and people. And continued going on, reforming the band without any new bandmembers (And fans) knowing what the fuck was going on.

Okay, I have no problem with deathcore, but I do have a problem with you calling The Faceless and The Black Dahlia Murder deathcore bands. The Black Dahlia Murder are pretty clearly a melodic death metal band with metalcore influences (MA even has them listed as pure melo-death, RYM has them listed as grindcore and metalcore too though). Akeldama was the only album where I would agree that The Faceless had a deathcore sound, but beyond that they are a pretty straightforward tech. death band. There are still some core influences in their sound, but again, not a deathcore band.

edit: In the case of TBDM, the band has even said that they were often classified by their cover and not their content because they do look like a core band and they also tried to appeal to the core audience by being on Warped Tour and such.
    Hahaha, no easier way to rile up a metalhead than to put a band in the wrong sub-subgenre :P TBDM has definitely changed their sound over the years, but I'd struggle to call Miasma melodic death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we start this thread with someone vehemently maintaining the Agalloch was the best band ever?

https://pillorian.bandcamp.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Didn't we start this thread with someone vehemently maintaining the Agalloch was the best band ever?

https://pillorian.bandcamp.com/
    Holy shit thanks for this. I have no idea how I didn't hear anything about it sooner.

Full album stream:

https://heathenharvest.org/2017/03/0...-obsidian-arc/

Found these guys recently - I've listened to this album a couple times, really digging the energy. Some of the songs are a bit...samey, but overall it's pretty solid.

Black Dahlia are just marketing geniuses. They flooded Hot Topic with full print graphic Ts and went on tour with core bands. I knew plenty of core kids who loved them but couldn't stand listening to any other melodeath, despite my pointing out that they are pretty clearly the same genre as a Bodom or Kalmah.

Worked out for them though, easily the most popular American melodeath band. I actually just bought a shirt off Trevor because he is apparently getting too fat for his L's and XL's so he sold a ton of rare shirts out of his closet. Super nice dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Black Dahlia are just marketing geniuses. They flooded Hot Topic with full print graphic Ts and went on tour with core bands. I knew plenty of core kids who loved them but couldn't stand listening to any other melodeath, despite my pointing out that they are pretty clearly the same genre as a Bodom or Kalmah.

Worked out for them though, easily the most popular American melodeath band. I actually just bought a shirt off Trevor because he is apparently getting too fat for his L's and XL's so he sold a ton of rare shirts out of his closet. Super nice dude.
    I tore my favorite TBDM shirt in Marduk's pit Had that thing for a decade, got it when they toured with 3 inches of blood

I tore my favorite TBDM shirt in Marduk's pit Had that thing for a decade, got it when they toured with 3 inches of blood
    I have a closet full of TBDM shirts. I used to love going to the mall just to hit up Hot Topic to see if they had any new ones in. Just need to lose a tad bit more weight to fit back into most of them, if only I had the foresight to buy larges instead of mediums.
    This was always my favorite

This is the one I lost, I tried looking online to replace it but I can't find it anywhere Torn right across the face, so I can't even cut it out to use as a patch. RIP

This is the one I lost, I tried looking online to replace it but I can't find it anywhere Torn right across the face, so I can't even cut it out to use as a patch. RIP
    I love that one, I never knew what happened to it until my ex told me she had it this last week. Lots of TBDM coincidences lately lol

Edit: Trevor also has killer taste in metal. His twitter is a must-follow for recs.
    https://twitter.com/TrevorTBDM

anyone got any tips on something similar?
    the effects on the vocals especially. always reminded me of the wraiths from stargate atlantis
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Yeah I've never heard of them either, but apparently they are funeral doom so if that's the case Ahab is the easy rec.

Some good stuff on there. People that like A Canorous Quintet are my friends.

This band is new to me, to be honest, but you could try checking the "similar artists" tab on their metal archives entry, unless you've already done that.
    have forgotten all about that site.. nice to see it's still around thanks!
    I had fun once, it was terrible.