Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Do you know what power means in a social context? Yes or no?

"In social science and politics, power is the ability to influence or outright control the behavior of people. "

These people are not just speaking out against something they don't like, they fuck them over due to their influence. Over something harmless. That's not good.
    Their "influence", individually, is negligible. And while it becomes more influential with more attention and focus from more people, that's how society works. It's how fashion works. It's how memes work. It's why popular music is popular. Etc.

And the statement wasn't "harmless". Claiming that is just an attempt to downplay it. It may not be SUPER bad, but it's not "harmless", either.

He was asked to apologize, didn't, and quit his job when they apologized for him. He wasn't forced out of anything, and he could've just apologized and this would've gone away. You're blowing this WAY out of proportion for some reason that isn't clear to me.

Again; if you don't want a public response to your statements, you have the right to keep them private. Once you've made a public statement, the public is free to respond, because that's what freedom of speech is.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Are you?
    Why are you answering me with a question?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Yeah no harm no foul, they just knowingly falsely accused him of racism for a day and a half.

I'm not a libertarian.
    He is. /10char
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Their "influence", individually, is negligible. And while it becomes more influential with more attention and focus from more people, that's how society works. It's how fashion works. It's how memes work. It's why popular music is popular. Etc.
    That doesn't make it just to use social power in this manner to destroy peoples lives because you don't like what they say.

And the statement wasn't "harmless". Claiming that is just an attempt to downplay it. It may not be SUPER bad, but it's not "harmless", either.
    It was harmless.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah no harm no foul, they just knowingly falsely accused him of racism for a day and a half.

Common tactic of the right. Just look at accusations thrown from Kellyanne and Trump on Twitter. They didn't eve bother correcting them.

That you fail to understand cause and effect is on you.
    I don't know and i don't care why stupid people vote for a stupid candidate! That doesn't change the fact though.

Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    I don't know why stupid people vote for a stupid candidate and i don't care!
    Then you can't really call them stupid if you don't care why they do so. Trump is the counterreaction.

Then you can't really call them stupid if you don't care why they do so. Trump is the counterreaction.
    Maybe he is, maybe he is not. As I said, i don't care. The result is the same, we have a stupid president and his stupid fanbase supporting him.

10+ Year Old Account
    In what way could his comment ever be harmful to anyone, anywhere, in any way whatsoever?

You have Crissi coming into this thread earlier... She said she has been the victim of ACTUAL fucking sexism. And that this is NOTHING.

But you, a man, know more than her on the matter? You speak for her, get offended on her behalf?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if the "regressive" left stopped freaking out about stupid stuff like insensitive twitter jokes, then the right can stop posting articles to complain about said freaking out. I can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    That seems like a messed up way to put things, considering what is just to you is entirely unjust to those complaining. Who decides what is just in this situation?
    Was someone hurt by a harmless joke? No? Unjust use to rail against people who haven't harmed anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If that happened they'd just get more creative in looking for things to bitch about.
    Is that even possible at this point?

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't make it just to use social power in this manner to destroy peoples lives because you don't like what they say.
    Making complaints isn't "destroying people's lives". Hyperbole, thy name is Moratori.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    In what way could his comment ever be harmful to anyone, anywhere, in any way whatsoever?
    Well, it's sexist. That's "harm", by denigrating women. It may not be really BADLY sexist, but it's still there.

Poking someone with a pencil is "harm", even if it's generally ignorable.

You have Crissi coming into this thread earlier... She said she has been the victim of ACTUAL fucking sexism. And that this is NOTHING.

But you, a man, know more than her on the matter? You speak for her, get offended on her behalf?
    When did I ever say anything of the sort? Crissi is free to get annoyed/offended by whatever she likes. I'm not saying she SHOULD be deeply offended by this comment, just because she's a she. I'm not claiming to "know more than her", because this isn't about who knows more in the first place. And I'm not speaking for her, or anyone but myself really. She's free to hold whatever views she likes. I'm not saying she should feel a particular way. I'm not "offended on her behalf". I'm not even really offended at all, frankly. And whatever minor levels of annoyance/irk I feel are on my behalf, not anyone else's.

I can find sexist remarks distasteful even if I'm not the targeted group, without claiming to be taking offense on their behalf. That's just a ridiculous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    And as already determined much earlier, nobody "railed" on him. People voiced a disliking opinion. Literally no more harmful than his comment.

His company didn't like the bad PR, and therefore apologized, as companies do when bad PR comes. Then sugar tits got his panties in a bunch cause he didn't want to apologize and left.

Sounds like a special snowflake to me.
    Yeah, they did. He's been called sexist and racist, over a harmless joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Making complaints isn't "destroying people's lives". Hyperbole, thy name is Moratori.
    That's not what happened though. He was labelled a racist and sexist, over a harmless joke. Seeing what the culture is like in regards to racism and sexism I don't think it's far-fetched to say they're trying to fuck peoples lives over.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    sexism
    ˈsɛksɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
    "sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women"
    synonyms: chauvinism, discrimination, prejudice, bias; More

It's a joke purely targeted at women. So it's just another example of sexism. It's not my problem you are unable to consult a dictionary.
    And yet it's OK for women to be sexist towards men....

Well, it's sexist. That's "harm", by denigrating women. It may not be really BADLY sexist, but it's still there.
    It's not sexist nor did it harm anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what happened though. He was labelled a racist and sexist, over a harmless joke. Seeing what the culture is like in regards to racism and sexism I don't think it's far-fetched to say they're trying to fuck peoples lives over.
    I've already said the "racist" thing was stupid. As for "sexist", given that the joke mocked women, that's just accurate.

Don't want to be labelled a sexist? Don't make sexist jokes. Simple.

You're still just complaining that people are irked by something you're not irked by, and get to say so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    In your ever-so-humble opinion.
    No, literally. Harmful refers to physical injury. You may be referring to hurtful, which, while a technical synonym, also encompasses "feelings". I realize I'm being pedantic here, but some people use "harmful" [incorrectly] because it carries a stronger connotation than "hurtful", which outside of personal relationships, is largely irrelevant.

Well, it's sexist. That's "harm", by denigrating women.
    No, it's not.

Don't want to be labelled a sexist? Don't make sexist jokes. Simple.
    Saying something "sexist" in satire does not make you a sexist. That is not how that works.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-03-18 at 10:45 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I feel the need to post this because it's relevant: