Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Most of the Latino community has learned to deal with this. Is it right? The answer is no, but it does happen. Its fine to voice your anger at the establishment that did so, but not only did they fire the waiter which is the right thing to do but they also offered her VIP service and to donate the proceeds to a local charity which is well above what most other places will do in this situation.
    Coming from parents who went through the immigration process for years, I was always taught to keep your head down and don't draw attention to yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    What world do you live in? Outside of Vegas that isn't really a thing.
    Places in Hollywood are always trying to attract locals with drink or food specials.
    LA Live used to offer a resident discount.
    Disney Land offer a Southern California Resident Pass.
    The new micro brew pub in my area offers locals discounts on beer flights.

I guess I live in the real world? Not sure how to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    they still need to be boycotted, and if yelp isnt willing to make sure it happens they fail the users of the service since how the restaurant treats its customers is a key issue a consumer needs to know
    As long as they don't remove the review of the people in question (you know, those that actually experienced bad treatment and not who heard or read about other people experiencing it without receiving that themselves or even ever going there) then Yelp doesn't fail anyone. People reviewing restaurants based on someone else's experiences is not what Yelp is for. It's multiple people posting about the same experience, which creates redundant reviews that misrepresent the place overall, ruin the accuracy of the scoring and is what's actually failing other users. All because people want to virtue signal that they are offended on someone else's behalf. You could boycott it by, I dunno, not going there. It's almost as if no one banned the most basic form of boycott yet. Or spread awareness through social media if you think it needs more coverage. That's what things like Facebook or Tweeter are for. Yelp is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

they should have asked for the the waiters birth certificate to make you they weren't being served by some illegal canadian

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I remember when prejudice was just another bump in the road of everyday life.
    Bullshit .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    they still need to be boycotted, and if yelp isnt willing to make sure it happens they fail the users of the service since how the restaurant treats its customers is a key issue a consumer needs to know
    Why do they need to be boycotted because of some asshole employee who they sacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I agree that she shouldn't have gotten Yelp warriors together, though I'd like to know about a staff member that did that to a costumer, by the costumer themselves... not by the hundreds of people that didn't experience it, yet felt the need to ruin the restaurant.

I find myself more sympathetic towards the restaurant. What happened to the costumer was undoubtedly wrong, but the restaurant didn't share, nor support the views of the waiter, who was immediately fired, and the woman was given an apology, followed by attempts to make it right.
    Yeah, agreed completely. That customer definitely should be hitting them with the one star review, posting on Facebook, whatever. It's the concerted, organized effort to hurt a restaurant that's trying to make amends that I find objectionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Places in Hollywood are always trying to attract locals with drink or food specials.
    LA Live used to offer a resident discount.
    Disney Land offer a Southern California Resident Pass.
    The new micro brew pub in my area offers locals discounts on beer flights.

I guess I live in the real world? Not sure how to answer.
    Definitely not the real world if that is the first place your mind goes. You are fucking insane if you think the manager would fire someone, if there was a simple, well-known explanation among the locals. Besides, it is easy enough to check, go to their website and you'll see ZERO mention of a local discount.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    Why do they need to be boycotted because of some asshole employee who they sacked?
    I agree. If that's not the restaurant's normal behavior (which it doesn't appear to be), it was a one-off incident by one person who had never behaved that way before (which it appears to be), and they took the correct action (by getting rid of the employee responsible), then the business has done their part. There's nothing else they could've possibly done short of being psychic.

It was supposedly really out of character for both the restaurant and the employee (who had supposedly never done anything like that before). And for the people assuming illegal immigration, well they weren't even immigrants. Their mother is an immigrant, but a legal one who has been a citizen for over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Truly spoken like someone who has never been singled out because of the color of their skin
    how little you know
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...318-story.html

Good happy the waiter got fired, Hope they never get a job where they have to work with the public again.

Edit: Also fuck that Restaurant for deleting that post.
    I agree, sort of. 1st, waiter getting fired, good. That's not a question that should be asked. Server had to know they'd get fired for asking that question. The only slight rationalization I can think of is that they had gone to that restaurant before and left no tip for him/her or another server, and this was their way of getting back at them. If so, it obviously backfired. Again, though, this is a rationalization, and it shouldn't happen regardless.

But I do disagree with you on deleting the post because this was the decision of one employee that got fired over this. The entire restaurant doesn't need to be marked as a racist restaurant because one person is a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Bullshit .
    Yes, prejudice was the norm! Sheltered millennials would shit themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Moratori View Post
    No one needs to be boycotted. The questions is should they be boycotted.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    waiter is not from immigration, it none of his business if they are Mexican, Canadian, Chineese, or little brown aliens from the planet uranus.
    he is their to perfrom the role he was employed in, IE customer service and waiting on tables, not find out a persons residential status.
    this exactly, it's not a waiter's job to shove it's nose into people's business. if she has any concerns the best thing she can do is to report it to the manager (or manager-on-duty) and let them decide if any action should be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, agreed completely. That customer definitely should be hitting them with the one star review, posting on Facebook, whatever. It's the concerted, organized effort to hurt a restaurant that's trying to make amends that I find objectionable.
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    He has every right to ask that question, just like his employer has every right to fire his ass for doing so.
    And the employer has every right to fire him for asking stupid questions.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    And the employer has every right to fire him for asking stupid questions.
    I said that...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Seems like a pretty big Non-story. like 99% of the Outrage articles I see these days.
    People used to think twice before doing what that waiter did at least until a certain person was elected president. This is only the beginging and it is going to get much, much, much worse from here on out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I think criticizing an organization the girls belong to is part of the conversation. You can't pick and choose what people want to talk about in an article because you don't like it. It was in the article and people are curious about that aspect.

I will now talk about what YOU want to talk about. The waiter was completely out of line and should not have asked that. Although, I am curious what his line of thinking was. What did he want to accomplish and what did he expect would happen?
    It is only part of the discussion here because people want to justify what that waiter did. Let's not pretend otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    ugh, fuck Yelp.
    That's the part of the OP you took issue with? Jesus christ.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    People used to think twice before doing what that waiter did at least until a certain person was elected president. This is only the beginging and it is going to get much, much, much worse from here on out.

- - - Updated - - -

It is only part of the discussion here because people want to justify what that waiter did. Let's not pretend otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the part of the OP you took issue with? Jesus christ.
    Everything is Trump's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    the article forgets to mention that the reason the restaurant asks is because they offer a 15% discount to local residents who go to this restaurant. The waiter was just doing his job...it had nothing to do with latinas or their ethnicity.

also extreme bias as this is being strongly spearheaded by the Latina's point of view and very little from management.
    The manner in which the waiter asked made it crystal clear he wasn't asking if they were local. If there is any bias here it is on the part of the bigot apologists who will try to justify and excuse even the most appalling examples of racism and bigotry.