Poll: Should the Pledge of Allegiance be removed from schools?

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Officially? Maybe not. I was suspended in HS for not saying the "under god" part one time when the teacher noticed I wasn't saying it. When asked I said I didn't believe in God. I was suspended for the reason of disrupting class. I find it a waste of time entirely and after being suspended I stopped saying the whole thing all together. Liberty and Justice when I got in trouble for not saying 2 words? Freedom of speech wasn't strong in that one.
    The irony there being that "under god" isn't part of it at all. It was "added" in the 1950's as part of propoganda to oppose those evil godless soviets (who were actually more religious than the US was, Russian Orthodox Church and all). I did not recognize and I never said those words, just like you, only in my case noone ever noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    No and the school prayer needs to return. Atheists can go sit in the corner.
    who's prayer?

Because last time i checked how many major religions.

Then which translation?
    should we go off something like the 1599 bible where the word homosexual did not exist, or the newer translations that have been lambasted into hating gays?
    or the ones that take out the word slavery and try to make it seem like it never existed and supported in the bible?
    or the ones that sugar coat the treatment of women vs real teachings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Yes, I know there are more Europeans in this forum than Americans. The odds are in my favor wouldn't you agree.

BTW, the pledge is still winning despite those odds. Only 55 to "remove" and 89 to not remove it. A 1.62:1 ratio. One might even call it a landslide victory.
    Speaking of an "us vs them" mentality.......

This isn't a competition, it's an opinion poll. Just because there are more people on this forum that think like you doesn't mean you are "right."

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Our country was formed as a christian country "under god". It is a part of our history. Sorry you don't like it.
    let me guess, you went to religious school...and were taught revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by Howner View Post
    http://constitutionus.com/

Find ONE reference in here to God or Christianity, i dare you. Because CTRL + F finds nothing. Sorry you dont like it.
    That's because it isn't. The only thing that comes close is "year of our lord"...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Loyalty depends on faith, whether it's warranted or not. I wasn't meaning faith as in religion.
    Again, loyalty isn't faith. At best, you can argue that it is somewhat based in trust of your fellow national, but even then, it's a compilation of several things.

Tell me again, how ensuring loyalty is a negative thing.

Althought from an external point of view it seems a little like christian brainwashing, i dont see a real argument where it should be banned, its the to make children proud of their country...

7+ Year Old Account
    This wasn't a requirement in the 90's. Have things changed? If you don't want to say it then don't say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Speaking of an "us vs them" mentality.......

This isn't a competition, it's an opinion poll. Just because there are more people on this forum that think like you doesn't mean you are "right."
    Trust me when I say I am in the minority on this particular subforum.

Our country was formed as a christian country "under god". It is a part of our history. Sorry you don't like it.
    It is explicitly stated in the founding documents that there is not to be a national religion.

Also, if it is such a dominant, intrinsic part of our history why was it not first written into the Pledge instead of being added 60 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    This wasn't a requirement in the 90's. Have things changed? If you don't want to say it then don't say it.
    It isn't a requirement now. Someone is just trying to make something out of nothing like usual on this forum.
    It is just another typical thinly veiled anti-American thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    It is explicitly stated in the founding documents that there is not to be a national religion.

Also, if it is such a dominant, intrinsic part of our history why was it not first written into the Pledge instead of being added 60 years later?
    160 years, not 60. It was a Cold War thing, to produce propoganda to make people hate the Russians more I guess. By portraying the Soviets as "evil communist athiests" (even they were none of those things). They weren't communist in any sense of the word, and they were more religious than the US was.

Lesson: Don't believe anything the government tells you. The vast majority of it is lies.

Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    Althought from an external point of view it seems a little like christian brainwashing, i dont see a real argument where it should be banned, its the to make children proud of their country...
    Is that a bad thing to be proud of your country?

It should be optional.

Those who want to stand for it fine and those who don't fine as well. Kids shouldn't be punished if they don't want to do the pledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Don't know what school you went to. But at mine it was required or you got punished and that was in the 90's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    That why the pledge was only revised to include that in the 50's? The original pledge contained a nazi style salute as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    160 years, not 60. It was a Cold War thing, to produce propoganda to make people hate the Russians more I guess. By portraying the Soviets as "evil communist athiests" (even they were none of those things). They weren't communist in any sense of the word, and they were more religious than the US was.

Lesson: Don't believe anything the government tells you.
    Pretty hard for a lot of other countries to fathom that the US has had a single contiguous government for over 240 years. Longer than all the European countries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It should be optional.

Those who want to stand for it fine and those who don't fine as well. Kids shouldn't be punished if they don't want to do the pledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know what school you went to. But at mine it was required or you got punished and that was in the 90's.
    A public school system in eastern Virginia, I'm sorry you were brought up with a sub standard system.

eeeeeh, whenever his topic is brought up visions of that "the whitest kids you know" skit goes racing through my mind. but honestly it's whatever, when I was growing up it was this annoying, trite, little routine that happens every morning and we move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Pretty hard for a lot of other countries to fathom that the US has had a single contiguous government for over 240 years. Longer than all the European countries.
    Not sure all the southern states would agree with that statement.

I never said it, they said it during our homeroom period so I just slept thought it. Keep or drop it doesn't really matter it's not long enough to interrupt any learning but doesn't matter enough to keep imo