Poll: Is it acceptable to refuse this man service?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Is this a pre-emptive deflection for all conservatives who have time and time again said, that business owners should be able to deny anyone they want, but will as a twist in this thread say it was wrong, as it was used against them?
    The business owner should have to right to refuse to service anyone they want. However ya'll want equality and as past incidents show they are not so free to choose and should be punished accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    liberals claim to be open minded and accepting but that only lasts until you have an opinion different from theirs. Thing is when you call them out on it they'll come out of the woodwork to say "but republicans do it!!" Just like the liberals on the forum will do in this thread.
    I didn't read anywhere where the bartenders wore a badge of liberalism, or said anything about being liberal, or even nuanced towards any liberal issues. Wow, and then you made a bunch of other assumptions and generalizations after that too.

The guy crying about this and starting a lawsuit over it sounds like a really special snowflake that hasn't visited NYC much, which is surprising because Philly isn't that different. You can be refused service at bars in Philly, or likely get your face beat in by patrons, just for not being Irish.

IMO it's thin skinned as well for them to be so angry about a hat, but those hats are intended to be worn as statements, and if you're going to walk into a bar and state something that's contrary to the M.O. (i.e. walking into a biker bar with a shirt saying "real men ride scooters") then you should be prepared to accept their right to refuse service to anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far i know you are allowed to refuse service on some grounds as long it's not racially motivated in most countries.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    liberals claim to be open minded and accepting but that only lasts until you have an opinion different from theirs. Thing is when you call them out on it they'll come out of the woodwork to say "but republicans do it!!" Just like the liberals on the forum will do in this thread.
    I often find those that preach tolerance are usually very intolerant of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    How busy was the Bar? Usually its an actual wait if the bar is busy in NYC. Heck even on Long island, if the bar is crowded you gotta wait. Bar tenders prob have to get like 10 other people drinks. May not even look at ya until they finally get to ya.

Lets just say I doubt it was 3 bartenders and like 3 people at the bar.

Deleted
    I'm fairly sure most places can bar entrance based on attire alone.
    I suggest these bargoers to attend with conflicting signaling, and see if that sparks any conversation worth having. Something like a MAGA hijab or the like.

We are getting one side of the story. Discrimination is bad, but I really doubt somebody going to that location dressed like that isn't stirring the pot just a little.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Sue them. I'm a democratic liberal, but this kinda snowflake behavior is unacceptable. What's next? That bars will refuse people wearing a Tom Brady jersey? The hypocrisy of my tribe is sickening.

Guess what? Millions didn't like Obama but i never once saw anyone thrown out of an establishment, or service refused because he had an Obama hat on.

Either ALL intolerance is OK, or NONE of it is. If you truly believe that there is no tolerance for intolerance; then this man gets service without question. You can't have it both ways.
    Bars that refuse service to people wearing Tom Brady jerseys exist. Have you not really been to many bars before? Die-hard sports team loyalty is a theme at quite a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I'm fairly sure most places can bar entrance based on attire alone.
    I suggest these bargoers to attend with conflicting signaling, and see if that sparks any conversation worth having. Something like a MAGA hijab or the like.
    That's brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    The business owner should have to right to refuse to service anyone they want. However ya'll want equality and as past incidents show they are not so free to choose and should be punished accordingly.
    How about a compromise: Anyone who feels like business owners should be allowed to discriminate against anyone they want, will get that treatment with no repercussions, and those who do not agree with it, will not get that treatment. Win-win right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who goes to city bars, just gonna say, I bet these guys expected speedy service in a busy bar when the bar tenders had to take tons of other peoples orders unless I get info that states otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I often find those that preach tolerance are usually very intolerant of others.
    Gotta love those selfish tolerance grand standers. May favorite was the university professor asking for people to take care of the guy near her safe space.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    if he was served twice, what damage is there to claim ? just because nobody liked him to serve another round ? Pfft !

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Bars that refuse service to people wearing Tom Brady jerseys exist. Have you not really been to many bars before? Die-hard sports team loyalty is a theme at quite a few of them.
    Yea, we go to sports bars for certain teams but even the Steelers bar has plenty of Pats jerseys in it come playoff game day. They get service just like anyone else. Period. NEVER once have i seen someone turned down for drinks based on sports/political attire.

Turned down at the door for not meeting a clubs dress code; sure. If no hats allowed I get it, but NEVER have i heard of a bar turning someone down because they had a different political opinion than them. Shameful stuff in America today how thin skinned everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    So far i know you are allowed to refuse service on some grounds as long it's not racially motivated in most countries.
    If they hadn't said anything about the motivation they could easily serve 1 round of drinks cut them off and that would be that. It is how bartenders get around having to serve pregnant women and things like that. You can't discriminate, but once you have served them you do have the right to cut them off at that point.

Bars all over refuse service to people every night just for wearing any hat at all, or certain kinds of shoes, shirts, down to incredibly nitpick details. It's their American right. I'd be stupid to walk into a whatever is opposite my skin color, opinions, or anything else and expect service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I've been to bars in the city where the bar tenders hardly talk and literally just serve drinks when its busy.

If I want nicer service I go to my local dive where I am the youngest person there by a few decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    They have the right to refuse, just like they could refuse someone with a pro-obama shirt.
    http://www.legalmatch.com/law-librar...e-service.html

The right to refuse service is basically a "That all depends" issue.
    And since we talk NY, in this particular case the answer is, as you said, yes.
    In NY, it's prohibited to deny service to any person that belongs to a group listed in the NY State Human rights law.

Wearing a Trump hat doesn't make one a protected class.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for non-essential business's reserving the right to refuse service to anyone. The actual reason most people are refused service is for being confrontational douchebags.

The real headline should read "Man asked to leave bar after a few drinks." Your news source is sensationalist garbage.

The business owner has a right to refuse service to anyone they want.
    Be it a gay wedding not getting a cake or a lad in a MAGA hat not getting a drink.

Being butthurt about one thing, while ok with the other one is moronic.