Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    "If streamers want money, they should get a real job." As you yourself just spent 4 paragraphs saying, you cannot support yourself off of tips via streaming, thus it isn't a real job.
    It's cool, just avoid what I actually said and pretend like it meant something else. That's exactly what people with no real argument do. Is it so hard for you to admit you're wrong?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink... If you bothered following the whole conversation before contributing your garbage, you'd know.
    You don't even know what that proverb means, you're trying to just sound smart. You didn't even show me anything, you just ad hominid because I simply asked for your definition of what a 'Job' is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by f3llyn View Post
    Thing is most streamers these days don't make money through ads.

Most make their money through subscriptions and tips and alternative sources like Patreon and Amazon affiliate links.

And how is streaming not a real job? Just because they get paid to play video games for others enjoyment? That doesn't mean it's not a job. They have to pay taxes just like everyone else.
    I'm for streamers and YouTubers making money. You have to admit, we all wish we had their job, but it isn't that easy. Enjoying what you do for a living is what everyone wants out of their job. Just so happens these people found theirs.

Well that's just like your opinion man.
    No, sometimes you can really just use logic and deduct what you said is sort of ridiculous and non-sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely because you have no concept of what a real job is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Probably because the term "real job" is used by people who want to look down on others for not conforming to their definitions. Just because you don't think it's not a real job doesn't make it so. While you sit and scoff at streamers, they continue to make money off of it. Your dislike doesn't make your definitions valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    It's cool, just avoid what I actually said and pretend like it meant something else. That's exactly what people with no real argument do. Is it so hard for you to admit you're wrong?
    Did you or did you not say, that streamers have to supplement their income through other means?
    "People who only stream pretty much never use it as their primary source of income. If that is their job, they are using other means as well (youtube, patreon, etc.). If they aren't doing those other things, they probably are either a student or have a job besides. None of those things make it a "fake job". It's either being done on the side for fun (with some profit thrown in) or they're an entertainer using multiple revenue streams to make it sustainable." If it's on the side for fun, it's not a job now is it? If they're using other means to support themselves then clearly it's not a real job.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    You don't even know what that proverb means, you're trying to just sound smart. You didn't even show me anything, you just ad hominid because I simply asked for your definition of what a 'Job' is.
    I suggested that you go read all of my comments because if you truly wanted to take part in this conversation, you would, but like a stubborn horse, I can't force you to "enlightenment."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No, sometimes you can really just use logic and deduct what you said is sort of ridiculous and non-sense.
    Which you did none of, so like, it's just your opinion man.

Probably because the term "real job" is used by people who want to look down on others for not conforming to their definitions. Just because you don't think it's not a real job doesn't make it so. While you sit and scoff at streamers, they continue to make money off of it. Your dislike doesn't make your definitions valid.
    Did I ever look down on people who stream? Did any of my comments ridicule streamers? Did I ever say I dislike streamers? No, so kindly please take your conjectured hyperbole and gtfo.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2017-04-10 at 04:25 AM.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

I suggested that you go read all of my comments because if you truly wanted to take part in this conversation, you would, but like a stubborn horse, I can't force you to "enlightenment."
    You're not going to read someone's entire post history in any multi-paged thread. I'll sit here and wait all the times you've engaged in a conversation and asked a simple question, while also educating yourself on all of their posts in said thread -- on the chance all of it had relevant information you requested. You aren't, and you don't, and you continue to act belligerent.

You're not going to read someone's entire post history in any multi-paged thread. I'll sit here and wait all the times you've engaged in a conversation and asked a simple question, while also educating yourself on all of their posts in said thread -- on the chance all of it had relevant information you requested. You aren't, and you don't, and you continue to act belligerent.
    Sorry, but unlike you, I don't force myself into online discussions that are well on their way without going back to make sure I can add something of substance.
    Priest Warrior

Sorry, but unlike you, I don't force myself into online discussions that are well on their way without going back to make sure I can add something of substance.
    You don't honestly believe that because you wouldn't have the post count you do in all the threads you've engaged in. I don't have to check it to know you're spouting non-sense to justify whatever you feel like. And, there is no way you can have substance to a discussion or an argument (This is an argument, there is a difference) if you don't have anyone understanding your view point. You can't progress a discussion or an argument if neither person can see what they're talking about. So, until you feel civil enough to just simply give me what your definition of a Job is, this won't go anywhere.

You don't honestly believe that because you wouldn't have the post count you do in all the threads you've engaged in. I don't have to check it to know you're spouting non-sense to justify whatever you feel like. And, there is no way you can have substance to a discussion or an argument (This is an argument, there is a difference) if you don't have anyone understanding your view point. You can't progress a discussion or an argument if neither person can see what they're talking about. So, until you feel civil enough to just simply give me what your definition of a Job is, this won't go anywhere.
    That's ok, you're the one who wanted to join in on my discussion, not the other way around, so take care!
    Priest Warrior

That's ok, you're the one who wanted to join in on my discussion, not the other way around, so take care!
    It's a public forum, the discussion isn't just yours -- stop acting so self absorbed.

It's a public forum, the discussion isn't just yours -- stop acting so self absorbed.
    You're replying to MY posts and getting upset because I request that you do some effort before demanding things in discussion with me. Stop acting so entitled.
    Priest Warrior

You're replying to MY posts and getting upset because I request that you do some effort before demanding things in discussion with me. Stop acting so entitled.
    You have a strange definition to anything you use, and I think that's where I'll cut it. You'll have a better time discussing things online, and in person I'm sure if you stop putting overt personal conjecture into words you use. No one understands your arbitrary definition if you're the one thinking different than many others.

As to the topic at hand, there is nothing wrong innately by not wanting to advertisements near or around you. The consequences are there, and I think anyone with a shred of sense knows that it means less revenue for whomever hosts it. There is really no obligation, as far as I am aware, that someone has to view these ads at all -- unless the site forbids the usage of such addons. In which case, many script blockers, incognito mode, and a-many work-around exist.

And as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, sites that make you click through a bunch of pages to fuel their ad revenue really aren't worth visiting unless you have adBlock and things like no-script / uscript.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    So I always use ad-blocker for everything. But recently one of my friends told me it's wrong because a lot of websites depend on ads to suppor their site. My question to him was. How is that my problem? I dont know. Is it wrong to use ad blocker?
    As other posters have pointed out, the ethics of using ad-blockers is completely moot at this point - they're an integral part of safely using the Web.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you or did you not say, that streamers have to supplement their income through other means?
    So you're saying people who work full time but require food stamps to survive don't have real jobs? Because that's basically what you're implying. Because that's even less like actual work than having a youtube channel to supplement your twitch income.

Did I ever look down on people who stream? Did any of my comments ridicule streamers? Did I ever say I dislike streamers? No, so kindly please take your conjectured hyperbole and gtfo.
    imo, if streamers want money, they should get real job.
    Yeah, you did. At least streamers who use it as a source of income. Which is what we're talking about. So...yeah.

Deleted
    My initial comment and only argument is explicitly for streaming, as in the real time via twitch, at no point did I try claim any other point or any other online media despite multiple fucksticks trying to shove in their own ideas in my argument. I swear, the amount of schizophrenic individuals with wild imaginations on the internet is outstanding.
    That would be all well and good but you simply can't look at streaming and streaming only in a vacuum. It includes more than just turning on your streaming and having a go at it. You don't seem like you're unintelligent so surely you know this, so I'm not sure why you're trying to argue that streaming is not a job while only addressing one part of what streaming is.

However as a side note. Partnered streamers do in fact get paid "just to stream". Once partnered you gain part of the income generated from adds watched on your channel. You can't apply for a partnership until you have a certain amount of steady viewers and a steady streaming schedule. So in a sense, that would fit your criteria of a real job.

And regarding your comment on looking down on streamers. You must understand that telling someone their job is not a "real job" even though most streamers I know put in far more hours than a 9 to 5 does come across as you perceiving their efforts as "lesser". You might not have meant it that way, as you say, but it's all about phrasing and tact. Telling someone who works incredibly hard to get a real job can be seen as insulting to some.

I don't take personal offense because I know that what I do is hard work, although I enjoy my job, but I'm sure you understand how you might come across.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    So I always use ad-blocker for everything. But recently one of my friends told me it's wrong because a lot of websites depend on ads to suppor their site. My question to him was. How is that my problem? I dont know. Is it wrong to use ad blocker?
    Adds don't bother me, but adds with sound or pop in your face do, they slow down your browsing experience.

Streaming sites do not offer streamers monetary compensation for strictly for time streamed. We did cover sponsorship though, but you didn't read that, 'cause if you did you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous post.
    You don't have to have a deal with the streaming service itself to have a contract that ensures payment tho.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Adsense needs to be updated or re built from the ground up.

I will never stop using addblock. If you want to sneak in adds into the page, Google will have to ditch or re develop adsense. I'm technically creating an environment where Google will have to hire new developers.

You have a strange definition to anything you use, and I think that's where I'll cut it. You'll have a better time discussing things online, and in person I'm sure if you stop putting overt personal conjecture into words you use. No one understands your arbitrary definition if you're the one thinking different than many others.

As to the topic at hand, there is nothing wrong innately by not wanting to advertisements near or around you. The consequences are there, and I think anyone with a shred of sense knows that it means less revenue for whomever hosts it. There is really no obligation, as far as I am aware, that someone has to view these ads at all -- unless the site forbids the usage of such addons. In which case, many script blockers, incognito mode, and a-many work-around exist.

And as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, sites that make you click through a bunch of pages to fuel their ad revenue really aren't worth visiting unless you have adBlock and things like no-script / uscript.
    I mean honestly, you didn't have to even read my expanded definition of a job from previous posts, you could googled it "a paid position of regular employment." "a task or piece of work, especially one that is paid." Is a streamer being paid for streaming? No. They're merely getting a share of the ad revenue, when and IF someone views the ad, which is not a guarantee. Now if Twitch ever decided to enable Subscriber only view of streams, then I would consider it an actual job. Can streaming be a source of income, yes, but so can anything really, but that doesn't make it a job. You're not employed, you do not have a boss, you can't even be considered self employed since you technically do not have customers that are purchasing goods or services from you. I think the only people that are offended that I referred to streaming as a "fake job" are people who really want streaming to be their job, which is completely fine to have aspirations, but it's no where near realistic or reasonable, and is at best, a side gig.

So you're saying people who work full time but require food stamps to survive don't have real jobs? Because that's basically what you're implying. Because that's even less like actual work than having a youtube channel to supplement your twitch income.

Yeah, you did. At least streamers who use it as a source of income. Which is what we're talking about. So...yeah.
    You clearly haven't read my posts in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    That would be all well and good but you simply can't look at streaming and streaming only in a vacuum. It includes more than just turning on your streaming and having a go at it. You don't seem like you're unintelligent so surely you know this, so I'm not sure why you're trying to argue that streaming is not a job while only addressing one part of what streaming is.

However as a side note. Partnered streamers do in fact get paid "just to stream". Once partnered you gain part of the income generated from adds watched on your channel. You can't apply for a partnership until you have a certain amount of steady viewers and a steady streaming schedule. So in a sense, that would fit your criteria of a real job.

And regarding your comment on looking down on streamers. You must understand that telling someone their job is not a "real job" even though most streamers I know put in far more hours than a 9 to 5 does come across as you perceiving their efforts as "lesser". You might not have meant it that way, as you say, but it's all about phrasing and tact. Telling someone who works incredibly hard to get a real job can be seen as insulting to some.

I don't take personal offense because I know that what I do is hard work, although I enjoy my job, but I'm sure you understand how you might come across.
    I can look at it in a vacuum because that's what this thread is about. If using an adblock is heavily negatively impacting a website or streamers ad revenue, they're not doing it right. I'll try to use my real life hobbies, and "semi" jobs as an example okay. I'm a musician, and I've made money from all forms of my music. I've had commissions for music for movies, documentaries and games. I've had people pay me for copies of my music. I've also played my music live, in both scheduled shows at venues and on the fly while busking at say a farmers market or on a busy street. The only form of my musician ship that I would never consider to be a job is the busking. With busking, there is no social contract between me, the performer, and the listener that says they must pay me. So while yes, there are multiple avenues for income via online digital video media, gaining income via twitch ads, is not an actual job. So unless Twitch changed their model for Partners, where Twitch themselves, or the ad companies, pay the streamers directly based off the time they stream and not the amount of ads shown and viewed, it won't be a real job. Just because it's work, doesn't mean it's a job.

And regarding partnership, it's a fairly ambiguous process that plenty of folks have tried to determine but can't, because Twitch is so not transparent about it. I have noticed that it's much easier to get partnered streaming certain content. I have a feeling a streamer has to hit a certain percentage in their "field" before being considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    You don't have to have a deal with the streaming service itself to have a contract that ensures payment tho.
    Not unless someone is paying you to stream for a set time frame. But then if they did, they'd be your employer. Are you aware of any companies hiring streamers? I'm sure plenty of folks in this thread would love to submit their resumes if so.
    Priest Warrior