Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    You can question it all you want, you can write letters to your Congressman, you can protest. At the end of the day, nothing will change. There is a reason why all airlines do this. If it was me, I would have canceled the flight and forced everyone to rebook.
    Because the stupid customers let them. Its the reason companies get away with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Now if there was just some kind of machine that could track people in some kind of big, lets call it a data base, that would then be able to figure out where people were needed and when they were needed......
    Like unforeseen events dont ever happen. Like a crew eating the fish on a flight and needing hospitalization requiring a new crew to fill in for them.

Kidding aside, if a crew members get sick or have an emergency, they will need fill-ins and if the fill-ins are available they just need to be shuffled in from another location.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's probably the reason the mess happened, if it wasn't an internal affair they would have known during check-in and would have tried to find volunteers before anyone entered the plane (or just not check in the last four people).
    And that's the crux of the issue that the "he should have just given up his seat" people are not getting. It never should have gotten to the point where anyone was asked to give up their seat after boarding. It should have been dealt with at the gate.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    They do. But shit happens. That's what "unforeseen" means. You can make predictions, but that doesn't mean they're guaranteed to be accurate.
    Perhaps they need better programmers then, or more reliable flight crews.

It wasn't even law enforcement that removed him from the plane, it was Chicago Aviation Police, which seems to be just security personnel.

This guy is going to have a nice settlement coming his way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Because the stupid customers let them. Its the reason companies get away with anything.
    Very true, any economics class should show you how consumers have input and can shape companies. Wake up people and realize you have a voice. Maybe one voice is quiet but many is loud.

Perhaps they need better programmers then, or more reliable flight crews.
    What part of "unforeseen" confuses you. No amount of money, programmers, or reliable flight crews will help. What you are looking for is someone that can see the future.

edit: For clarity, these people don't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It wasn't even law enforcement that removed him from the plane, it was Chicago Aviation Police, which seems to be just security personnel.

This guy is going to have a nice settlement coming his way.
    He should be fired, not put on leave.

And yeah, the doctor is going to have a nice retirement package curtesy of United.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like unforeseen events dont ever happen. Like a crew eating the fish on a flight and needing hospitalization requiring a new crew to fill in for them.

Kidding aside, if a crew members get sick or have an emergency, they will need fill-ins and if the fill-ins are available they just need to be shuffled in from another location.
    That explanation would make sense if it was for one crew member, not 4. 4 says the fucked up and were short an entire crew and had no well though out response plan.

No, its because customer rebook, cancel or fail to show for their flights. So instead of flying with a half empty plane and loosing money, they overbook and hope to get the fullest flight possible. To show how often overbooking causes an issue, I have flown well over 3 dozen times and seen only one flight offer passengers money to stay behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I'd rather bet on people trying to look cool by highlighting how THEY could "take it" and "act mature".
    Yeah man, you got me, IRL I throw tantrums all the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindark View Post
    What part of "unforeseen" confuses you. No amount of money, programmers, or reliable flight crews will help. What you are looking for is someone that can see the future.

edit: For clarity, these people don't exist.
    For clarity, that would explain needing one replacement crew member.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    We don't know if was work related or not. They may have been customers that happened to be United employees. The media has a way of sensationalism. We all know this.
    Couldn't the unruly passenger that was picked by the computer have done the very same thing? He is not better than anyone else. Instead he chose to be noncompliant with airport police. If only he had done as he was asked. If only...
    The airport police department said the officer wasn't following department policy, and he has been placed on leave.

These aren't regular cops, and the scope of their authority is different. If it's a rent-a-cop type situation, they have no authority to detain you or forcibly remove you, and by doing so they are breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's never flown, and from the looks of it never will, how does this happen exactly? It was my understanding that you had to have a physical ticket to get on a flight. One that was already paid for. So why is overbooking a common practice? Even if someone doesn't show up and there's an empty seat it's already paid for. And seeing as how this flight was already full why should United kick it's paying customers off? That's a pretty big F.U. in my opinion even with the compensation. Imagine if the NBA or some other sports league did this same thing with front row seats at a big game for 4 of it's employees. It shows that the company cares more for itself than for your service.

That explanation would make sense if it was for one crew member, not 4. 4 says the fucked up and were short an entire crew and had no well though out response plan.
    Or 4 says a previous flight didn't make it to their destination on time, perhaps weather or another unforeseen situation delayed or cancelled a flight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

I dont know how flight crews work. I am not going to pretend to know how flight crews work. Even if it was a fuck up, who cares. They have a policy.

No, its because customer rebook, cancel or fail to show for their flights. So instead of flying with a half empty plane and loosing money, they overbook and hope to get the fullest flight possible. To show how often overbooking causes an issue, I have flown well over 3 dozen times and seen only one flight offer passengers money to stay behind.
    These people who say overbooking is dumb, I wonder how many of them want to pay double for a ticket?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Just watched the videos.
    That guy shrieked like a little girl. He really should be ashamed of himself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    I'll defend the law over those who are ignorant of it.
    So did the NKVD(KGB today) when they dragged political opponents to gulags, it's not their fault they followed the law, right? In the end, if you voice an opinion against an unfair law, you are an enemy to the people, da? Because all laws are just and perfect and we never have to actually fight against any and none are eeevvver abused, EVER. I do wonder, do you also defend Maduro's murder of people who do drugs in the Philipphines?
    Oh, but I'm moving away, this is not as bad as that. Hmmm... how about segregated schools for whites and blacks? Segregated buses? That was law once, did you support it then?

Also, where's this magical law that says that companies that overbook can drag companies out of their flight by force?

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I have no issue with them being able to throw money at solving their greed induced errors, I have an issue with them being able to force paying customers off against their will. And THAT is something that is 100% the fault of customers not demanding it change.