Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    So in your eyes the 10 FPS you get going with intel on a 12 year old game (that actually doesnt translate to a better raiding experience) is enough to recommend it over the better chip?

Think about that before you answer.
    Thought about it and I think a moderator will be by anytime to tell everyone to STFU and stop bickering. That's when you'll stop replying.

So @Arbiter, lets just assume the difference around 10 FPS to both minimums and averages. In your eyes its worth losing 2 extra cores and 8 extra processing threads for that 10 raid FPS bump? But that would have to assume you could actually tell the difference between 40 and 50 FPS when things get hairy. I can only speak from experience, but in a WoW raid i can only tell if its smooth or choppy, there is no way i could differentiate 40 vs 50 FPS unless i had a on screen counter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Thought about it and I think a moderator will be by anytime to tell everyone to STFU and stop bickering. That's when you'll stop replying.
    So to you there isnt a conversation to be had here on what CPU to purchase for WoW on a WoW forum? Its just "go intel", competition shouldnt be considered? All the points i make should be ignored?

Post a video proving that? I posted mine.

Your 4670k@4.4ghz should be beating my ryzen at 3.8, lets see just what the difference actually is.
    I don't play WoW, but here's a vid showing the 1700X just barely outperforming the 4690k.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIF6toVPko

We know that the 7600k outperforms the 4690k by more than that, so there's your proof.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post

The potential difference between dropping down to 30-40FPS in stressful situations rather than 40-60FPS at minimum is enough yes. Especially when you consider that in open world 10/10 can easily drop below 60 even on Intel. Frame drops suck and it pisses me off everything I see one and that's even with an overclocked 4790K. It's not like we're debating the difference between 90FPS and 100FPS. I wouldn't be bothered to have this conversation if it was.
    Just a honest question, do we have evidence within the same settings and encounter, these are the FPS people actually get on preset 10?

I haven't seen someone with a system out there with image quality set to high on driver settings alongside render scale 200% with 8 X full MSAA to yield 60 FPS with no drops below that in mythic raiding.

So in your eyes the 10 FPS you get going with intel on a 12 year old game (that actually doesnt translate to a better raiding experience) is enough to recommend it over the better chip?

Think about that before you answer.
    IF AND ONLY IF that was the advice asked for. In this case, that was the advice asked for. What CPU will run WoW at 10/10 in mythic raids the best? The answer to that question is not Ryzen.

I do agree with you though. The difference will not really be that noticeable and in the long run the Ryzen is the smarter buy. However, that's not the question that was asked.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So @Arbiter, lets just assume the difference around 10 FPS to both minimums and averages. In your eyes its worth losing 2 extra cores and 8 extra processing threads for that 10 raid FPS bump? But that would have to assume you could actually tell the difference between 40 and 50 FPS when things get hairy. I can only speak from experience, but in a WoW raid i can only tell if its smooth or choppy, there is no way i could differentiate 40 vs 50 FPS unless i had a on screen counter.
    Where are you getting this "10 FPS" number from? That number is going to change as per situation and as per overclock. Averages aren't my concern. It's minimums. Ryzen is ~20% less single threaded performance at stock alone. It doesn't overclock as well as Intel so we can assume as much as 30% on average for difference. That could easily be the difference between dropping down to 45FPS (which is likely possibly at 10/10 on stressful Mythic fights) or 30FPS on the Ryzen, which is noticeable yes. Raiding isn't the only thing though. Open world suffers even more from 10/10. I dropped from something like 95fps at the Broken Shore all the way to ~40fps just from going from 7 to 10. It's hard enough to run so why make it even harder? If WoW wasn't my main concern and I wasn't trying to run at 10/10 settings then no it wouldn't matter quite as much. This is not the case with OP though.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

So to you there isnt a conversation to be had here on what CPU to purchase for WoW on a WoW forum? Its just "go intel", competition shouldnt be considered? All the points i make should be ignored?
    I think most posters here are stating the AMD is inferior to Intel when it comes to WoW performance, but you can have your opinion, but expect flak if you want to fight a up hill battle. Also be the bigger man and just state your advice and move along. 9 out of 10 posters can't be wrong.

Lathais i am not debating the fact intel gets more raid FPS (OF COURSE THEY DO!) i would just like to see what the actual difference is, and if that difference is worth what you would be losing by not going AMD.

Can people tell between 40 and 50 FPS in a raid without a FPS counter on the screen? Or is the game so old you probably couldnt tell either way, and the game plays like it plays no matter what hardware you have in your PC.....THAT is the point im trying to make here.

Intel has been ripping people off for far too long guys, we should not be suggesting people buy i5's when there are much better options out there. Have you guys seen all the recent leaks? I5's are going to be 6c 6t chips, if that does not tell you where the market is going i dont know will.

Lathais i am not debating the fact intel gets more raid FPS (OF COURSE THEY DO!) i would just like to see what the actual difference is, and if that difference is worth what you would be losing by not going AMD.

Can people tell between 40 and 50 FPS in a raid without a FPS counter on the screen? Or is the game so old you probably couldnt tell either way, and the game plays like it plays no matter what hardware you have in your PC.....THAT is the point im trying to make here.

Intel has been ripping people off for far too long guys, we should not be suggesting people buy i5's when there are much better options out there. Have you guys seen all the recent leaks? I5's are going to be 6c 6t chips, if that does not tell you where the market is going i dont know will.
    Your red is starting to show bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Your red is starting to show bud.
    Considering i havent owned an AMD CPU in ~20 years or a AMD GPU in ~10, that is fresh.

Listen to yourself. You are suggesting buying an inferior part just because you like AMD. There is no pros and cons here, Ryzen 5 is worse for a pure gaming PC than an i5 and nothing is going to change that. It's pretty cool that AMD finally released something worthwhile and it will maybe encourage Intel to do something pro-consumer, but we are trying to help people get the best out of their money, not sell AMD/Intel processors.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Ok, so you admit that the answer to the OPs question is to go intel. Gotcha. This thread is not the place for the discussion you are trying to have, so let's not have it here. Start a thread for it or take it to the Ryzen thread. This thread is for answering the OPs question and the answer to his question is intel not Ryzen.

Considering i havent owned an AMD CPU in ~20 years or a AMD GPU in ~10, that is fresh.
    It's appropriate.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Ok, so you admit that the answer to the OPs question is to go intel. Gotcha. This thread is not the place for the discussion you are trying to have, so let's not have it here. Start a thread for it or take it to the Ryzen thread. This thread is for answering the OPs question and the answer to his question is intel not Ryzen.
    This is pretty much the only argument to be had here.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

The conversation was never "what gets more fps", why is everything so black and white to you guys?

More than anyone i know intel gets higher FPS in WoW than AMD does, the question is do those gains you get from going intel offset what you lose by going with AMD. You would need to perform some kind of in depth blind test to see if people could tell the difference between 40 and 50 FPS in a raid situation, if people couldnt (my suspicions, because i surely cant) how could you suggest the intel part?

I have a custom desktop that I'm running an i5 6600K at stock speed with a EVGA 1080 TI Founders Edition. I have jacked everything through the roof and I still have FPS drops on a 3440x1440 ultrawide screen to 40ish FPS while in Darlaan/flying over Suramar. Most of other time i'm averaging 70-90FPS though. On the other hand, I can tear Witcher 3 up with well over 60 FPS with all the settings jacked to the top.

WoW's age shows here with how it utilizes GPU/CPU. Not much you can do.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The conversation was never "what gets more fps", why is everything so black and white to you guys?
    When asking a specific question the answer is going to be black and white.

He wants 60fps constantly with 10/10 settings. Well that's not possible so you go for the next step up, what's getting as close as possible using 10/10 settings. THAT answer is black and white....Intel. He hasn't mentioned the desire for anything else so the answer has no reason to consider that considering the Intel CPU can handle everything else as well even though it might not do something like video rendering quite as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbery View Post
    I have a custom desktop that I'm running an i5 6600K at stock speed with a EVGA 1080 TI Founders Edition. I have jacked everything through the roof and I still have FPS drops on a 3440x1440 ultrawide screen to 40ish FPS while in Darlaan/flying over Suramar. Most of other time i'm averaging 70-90FPS though. On the other hand, I can tear Witcher 3 up with well over 60 FPS with all the settings jacked to the top.

WoW's age shows here with how it utilizes GPU/CPU. Not much you can do.
    Exactly, the game is gonna feel choppy in spots no matter what hardware you are running. I have been trying to get this point across to people but for some reason they just cant grasp it.

More than anyone i know intel gets higher FPS in WoW than AMD does, the question is do those gains you get from going intel offset what you lose by going with AMD. You would need to perform some kind of in depth blind test to see if people could tell the difference between 40 and 50 FPS in a raid situation, if people couldnt (my suspicions, because i surely cant) how could you suggest the intel part?
    Your right, it wasn't about what gets more FPS, it's what will allow him to play at 10/10 most of the time. That means what gives more FPS most of the time and what has the higher minimum FPS. The answer to that is intel. In the video I linked, you see that the 1700x has the lowest min FPS on 2/3 fights, getting very close to dropping below 60. Personally, without FPS counters I can absolutely tell the second my FPS drops below 60 and Ryzen is closer to doing that than a 4690k. A 7600k is going to perform better and have less chance of dropping below 60 FPS, which again to me is VERY noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, the game is gonna feel choppy in spots no matter what hardware you are running. I have been trying to get this point across to people but for some reason they just cant grasp it.
    But the chance for that choppiness is lower with the 7600k than any Ryzen.

if you play wow at 1080p on a 60 hz monitor the difference between an i5 or a ryzen CPU will be minimal, they will go over 60 fps most of the time and when they dip the will all dip albeit some may drop a bit lower.

if you want best performance for wow the fastest intel CPU which is an i7 7700k is what you should buy, if you want access to more cores/threads an 6/8 core ryzen would be a good alternative with less but still good performance in wow.

4c/4t i5's should go the way of the dodo (as a matter of fact, there is a new 6c/6t coffee lake i5 on the way.)
    Last edited by Denpepe; 2017-04-24 at 08:42 PM.