Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Is Legion the MOST Alt-Friendly Expansion Yet?

Let me qualify this question with the caveat that at the beginning of legion, I will agree, because of the artifact weapon, it wasn't the most alt-friendly at the beginning.

However, is an expansion SUPPOSED to be alt-friendly at the beginning? Isn't the point of the beginning of an expansion to gear up and get a main character or maybe two leveled up and geared?

After 4-6 months, I think this expansion is the most alt friendly of any other expansion. You can now literally have 890 gear the day you hit 110. You can now have a level 34 artifact weapon the same day as well. You can fly on all your alt characters without having to do the pathfinder achievements on each one. You can get massive amounts of AP because of buying the AK 25 book and doing the surmar quest chain. You have a wardrobe with set closet allowing you to easily know what you need to fill out your transmog closet.

This has to be the most alt-friendly expansion of all expansions. Every other expansion we had to do everything individually on each alt. Not in Legion.

Edit: Follow-up Question:

If you feel it is NOT alt friendly, what is your definition of "alt-friendly?"
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2017-04-27 at 11:58 PM. Reason: F/U Question

the jaylock bait

Absolutely not.

I'd say Cataclysm was more alt friendly honestly.

You still have to
    1) Finish your class hall campaign
    2) Grind out Nethershards if you want 880 gear from invasions that happen once a day
    3) Get 2 additional pieces of gear extra now (Since Relics, although that would be 1 compared to Cataclysm)
    4) Complete reps if you want profession rewards
    5) Farm Class Hall Resources for the Class hall perks.

That's just off the top of my head.

Definitely Jay. All my alts are over 880. My main is 893. Easily more alt friendly than any other expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Absolutely not.

I'd say Cataclysm was more alt friendly honestly.
    How so?

Cataclysm took forever to level to 85, and for every alt, you had to gear up through heroic dungeons, then crafted gear, then entry raids. Legion you can be at least heroic Nighthold ready in 1 day on any alt after hitting 110.

I thought this post was for the lulz for a second, but after reading it... Maybe. Even Draenor had more barriers of entry with having to complete Garrison chain

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    How so?

Cataclysm took forever to level to 85, and for every alt, you had to gear up through heroic dungeons, then crafted gear, then entry raids. Legion you can be at least heroic Nighthold ready in 1 day on any alt after hitting 110.
    You can't.

Class hall campaign locks you out from the 3rd relic slot, which last I checked, it still has timed requirements (Class Hall Missions)

No. There's enough timed gating that you can't reduce in any way that you're still hampered by that.

Deleted
    No MoP was

knew it was a jaytroll thread before I clicked, sad

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No MoP was
    After the reputation gains were fixed, I'd say MoP edges out on Legion a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    knew it was a jaytroll thread before I clicked, sad
    Then why did you post in it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hes going all out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You can't.

Class hall campaign locks you out from the 3rd relic slot, which last I checked, it still has timed requirements (Class Hall Missions)
    Within a week of hitting 110 you can have your third relic. I know, ive done it on several alts.

You can still perform well in Nighthold with just 2 relics and 890 gear. We have had several guild members come in to heroic NH doing just that, and they perform pretty well. Not top 3 dps, but not lowest either.

- - - Updated - - -

No MoP was
    Oh you mean having every alt have to get exaulted with every faction they want to spend their justice points to get epic gear from the factions?

You mean that alt-friendliness.

MoP only got alt friendly when timeless isle was released over a year after the expansion released because of timeless gear.

Deleted
    Oh you mean having every alt have to get exaulted with every faction they want to spend their justice points to get epic gear from the factions?

You mean that alt-friendliness.

MoP only got alt friendly when timeless isle was released over a year after the expansion released because of timeless gear.
    Like how Legion only became alt friendly in 7.2? 8 months in

No MoP was
    Oh please it didn't get alt friendly till the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Like how Legion only became alt friendly in 7.2? 8 months in
    Is 7.2 the end of Legion? Didn't think so. Accept the fact Legion got alt friendlier far quicker than MoP did and move on.

Let me qualify this question with the caveat that at the beginning of legion, I will agree, because of the artifact weapon, it wasn't the most alt-friendly at the beginning.

However, is an expansion SUPPOSED to be alt-friendly at the beginning? Isn't the point of the beginning of an expansion to gear up and get a main character or maybe two leveled up and geared?

After 4-6 months, I think this expansion is the most alt friendly of any other expansion. You can now literally have 890 gear the day you hit 110. You can now have a level 34 artifact weapon the same day as well. You can fly on all your alt characters without having to do the pathfinder achievements on each one. You can get massive amounts of AP because of buying the AK 25 book and doing the surmar quest chain. You have a wardrobe with set closet allowing you to easily know what you need to fill out your transmog closet.

This has to be the most alt-friendly expansion of all expansions. Every other expansion we had to do everything individually on each alt. Not in Legion.
    Yes it is. I agree 7.1 was not, but 7.1.5 encouraged alts by AP-capping our mains, and 7.2 has crazy catch-up mechanics for alts. My alts with literally 2% of the days played of my main are within two AKs and maybe 3 traits of my main. They are within 10 item-levels. In 1/50th of the time. That's crazy.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Good thing you qualified, because pre-7.2 Legion was awful for alts.

After 7.2 it may very well be the most alt-friendly. With the exception of the time and annoyance it takes to get the third relic slot everything is as you say. With invasions you can even level a toon from 100-110 in a week with only a half hour to an hour investment per day as well.

I still find I'm not as interested in playing my alts though, because there really is just so much for me to do that I want to accomplish on my mage and pally. I just yesterday decided to give pally healing a go because I had the hidden appearance so now I have even more goals than before lol.
    Well it wasn't the most alt-friendly at the beginning, but I wouldn't say it was the most alt-unfriendly either. MoP was way worse gating everything behind reputations and factions at the beginning. And it took MoP a year before timeless gear came out.

Your comment about the relic slot. I've had my relic slot completed in less than a week after hitting 110. Id say thats pretty alt-friendly. They reduced the amount of missions and the time each mission takes considerably about a month or two into the expansion.

Deleted

I think If you take patch 7.2.5 into account than yes. We have more time on our hands now since the new raid is not coming out Soon. Flying of course saves a ton. There are still Some hurdles though that make sure you are not endgame ready of the bat. Unlocking your 3rd relic for instance and filling them. And additional gating as well but i do afreed with you but only since 7.2.5 (flying, artifact compendium, broken shore gear and such)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionchannel View Post
    I think If you take patch 7.2.5 into account than yes. We have more time on our hands now since the new raid is not coming out Soon. Flying of course saves a ton. There are still Some hurdles though that make sure you are not endgame ready of the bat. Unlocking your 3rd relic for instance and filling them. And additional gating as well but i do afreed with you but only since 7.2.5 (flying, artifact compendium, broken shore gear and such)
    Far quicker than any other expansion. Legion is turning out to be one of the best, if not the best expansion since TBC.