Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Poland's Prime Minister says country will accept no refugees as EU threatens them

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7741236.html

Poland's Prime Minister says country will accept no refugees as EU threatens legal action over quotas

Poland’s Prime Minister has claimed the country “cannot accept refugees” as the EU threatens legal action against nations failing to comply with quotas.

Alongside Hungary and Austria, it is one of only three countries not to have relocated a single refugee, “in breach of their legal obligations” and commitments.

“This cannot be the responsibility of just a few member states – this must be shared be all,” said Dimitris Avramopoulos, the European Commissioner for migration.

But Prime Minister Beata Szydło told a press conference there had been no formal agreement to compulsory quotas, which Hungary and Poland voted against.

“A critical attitude towards the mechanism of migrant relocation is becoming increasingly widespread in the European Union,” she claimed, according to a translation by state broadcaster Poland Radio.

“Poland cannot accept refugees.”

Austria has finally pledged to accept eligible asylum seekers from Italy, but the EU has warned Poland and Hungary that they have until June to start accepting refugees or face sanctions.

“I call on Poland and Hungary who have not relocated a single person ... to start doing so right now,” Mr Avramopoulos told reporters.

“If no action is taken by them before the next report in June, the Commission will not hesitate to make use of its powers under the treaties and to open infringement procedures.”
    Polish government doing what all of Eastern Europe should be doing. Let France and Germany deal with their problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Poland's funding needs to be cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame on them, I hope the people of Poland are more reasonable than their government

Deleted
    Does Poland have any legal obligation with the EU to accept refugees? If not then Poland is right to say no. If there is a legal obligation with the EU then Poland needs to uphold the deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cannot really blame them. It is not like the refugees have a vaguely decent reputation, so why would they want to make their countries worse than they already are?

10+ Year Old Account
    The irony of dislike of their immigrants.

Deleted
    Most people don't know or don't care but Poland has accepted literally hundreds of thousands of migrants/refugees from Ukraine.
    And Poland has helped them. And it has not asked for help from other EU states.

And EU can't do shit about this either. This is a decision made by sovereign nation state.

God, Brussels is beginning to resemble Soviet Union more and more. One degree deviation from the autocratic norm and they flip out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Cannot really blame them. It is not like the refugees have a vaguely decent reputation, so why would they want to make their countries worse than they already are?
    One would question why anyone would permit the British to emigrate given this logic.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Shame on them, I hope the people of Poland are more reasonable than their government
    Not really. For how big opposition of PiS is, and how divided population is in general, the subject of refugees is something most people are either on "NO" or "Why should we care".

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Why is it irony?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niibek View Post
    Most people don't know or don't care but Poland has accepted literally hundreds of thousands of migrants/refugees from Ukraine.
    And Poland has helped them. And it has not asked for help from other EU states.

And EU can't do shit about this either. This is a decision made by sovereign nation state.

God, Brussels is beginning to resemble Soviet Union more and more. One degree deviation from the autocratic norm and they flip out.
    Who's the autocrat in Brussels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Not really immigrants. Just "refugees".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why is it irony?
    Around the EU, a lot of Eastern European, including Polish immigrants have a bad rep.

Very few refugees wants to live in poland anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Very few refugees wants to live in poland anyway.
    People live in Poland?

Around the EU, a lot of Eastern European, including Polish immigrants have a bad rep.
    But it's Gypsies (like your grandmother was it?) that give Eastern Europe bad rep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    But it's Gypsies (like your grandmother was it?) that give Eastern Europe bad rep.
    Yeah, next you're going to be telling me how Jews steal Christian children and drain their blood to bake into their matzos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    One would question why anyone would permit the British to emigrate given this logic.
    Most British people who emigrate tend to be relatively wealthy and not piss poor refugees, so have to pass immigration criteria like anyone else and are unlikely to require welfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Eh, more so people like you these days. Correction, great grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    People live in Poland?
    Who else would be living there?