Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    Also, if you read the article, your system may say its using X amount of ram but you'll see little to no performance loss with less ram. Read it before you reply.

Edit: Also that may say 28% but it says pretty clearly its only using 1.8gb of ram on WoW
    It's using 1.8GB on WoW, and rest on Chrome, Discord and other applications I have running.
    I stated that rather clearly.

This a normal day. Even without WoW open, or production work, and just browser tabs and normal applications I'm using 24% ( 7.8GB ) out of 32GB.

I've tried doing my project work with less RAM, and it significantly increases the time of my encodes and completion. Easily from under one hour, to 2-3 hours. That's a big performance loss over all, and before I've had Adobe crash when running out of maximum system RAM.

I have read it ( the article ), and I know how much my system uses; it's the reason I've upgrade my RAM to the amount it is.
    Otherwise as stated my system and workflow grinds to a halt. 8GB is the bare minimum anyone should get, and even than it can easily be used up right now simply with browsers, games ( 64-bit ones that aren't capped at 4GB usage), and a few other applications open. 16GB is the norm and recommended by most Tech and Gaming review sites, and YouTubers for a reason, unless your entire system budget is $650 or less
    Last edited by Valentyn; 2017-05-23 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
    -snip-
    But that's not how chrome works. Chrome gives up resources for other processes for one.
    But this is going to be my last response. You say most tech and gaming sites this and youtubers that. You list anecdotal "evidence". You've cited no sources, you take screenshots not understanding whats happening, and I don't think you really know the point you're arguing anymore.
    Its okay that you don't understand how ram works. Just don't tell someone they need to buy 16gb of ram when they don't. Its not bad to have 8gb. Its economical to put that money elsewhere and buy another 8gb down the road.

Have a good day.

But that's not how chrome works. Chrome gives up resources for other processes for one.
    But this is going to be my last response. You say most tech and gaming sites this and youtubers that. You list anecdotal "evidence". You've cited no sources, you take screenshots not understanding whats happening, and I don't think you really know the point you're arguing anymore.
    Its okay that you don't understand how ram works. Just don't tell someone they need to buy 16gb of ram when they don't. Its not bad to have 8gb. Its economical to put that money elsewhere and buy another 8gb down the road.

Have a good day.
    It's clear you haven't read anything I've written, and yet you claim I don't understand what's happening. It must be why production work s and high end gaming systesm are all using only 8GB of RAM max right?

I've shown you how much my average project uses, if that amount is more than the system has my Premiere Pro crashes.
    Even Windows 10 has errors just for that.

Your only source yourself is a 2015 article, where as most PC build guides will only list 8GB as the bare minimum, and for *budget* orientated builds, Techspot included.

I also never once told anyone to buy 16GB when they don't need it, I said
    That's if you're gaming and running nothing else at all. * buying only 8GB*
    This day and age I think 8GB is the minimum limit, with 16GB being a nice amount. Especially if you run more than just the single game and discord.
    I stand by my point, and the fact that most build guides also include 8GB as the minimum, with 16GB being the *sweet spot* rather agrees.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,4390.html#p2

If 8GB was really enough, even for the highest end of gaming system; can you explain to me why every build guide there is, and review test bench includes a minimum of 16GB of RAM? Sure if 8 is enough for it all, it would be the standard everywhere?

Techspot's own test bench in the latter half of 2016 & 2017 features 32GB of RAM. Why? To eliminate bottlenecks when performing hardware reviews, as 8GB wouldn't be enough.
    We benchmarked Mass Effect: Andromeda using our Core i7-7700K test machine which sees the processor running at 4.9GHz with 32GB of DDR4-3000 memory.
    Your own system features 16GB of RAM instead of 8, surely you wasted your money then?
    Last edited by Valentyn; 2017-05-23 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
    -Snip
    I just couldn't resist.
    Lets start from the top. The article is from November 2016.
    The link you put doesn't suggest 16gb til you get to the $1000 level.
    The original question was "I really need a new computer. But I've decided to just wait it out for awhile. And I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't it be a bad decision to get anything less than 16gb of ram at this point?"
    Let's use context clues. "I'm no expert on this". We can infer this person does not use his pc for production. If he did he would know what his system needed.
    You are a minority in your pc usage. Congratulations. You're on a gaming forum.
    What they benchmark with is irrelevant. Do you think the everyday pc gamer has those specs?
    Yes my pc has 16gb. Because I built it like 3 1/2 years ago and had a good chunk of money. It was a mid-high end when I built it and ram would've been a perfectly acceptable place to save money until later.

If you want to continue this I'd suggest making a thread in the computer forum.

I just couldn't resist.
    Lets start from the top. The article is from November 2016.
    The link you put doesn't suggest 16gb til you get to the $1000 level.
    The original question was "I really need a new computer. But I've decided to just wait it out for awhile. And I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't it be a bad decision to get anything less than 16gb of ram at this point?"
    Let's use context clues. "I'm no expert on this". We can infer this person does not use his pc for production. If he did he would know what his system needed.
    You are a minority in your pc usage. Congratulations. You're on a gaming forum.
    What they benchmark with is irrelevant. Do you think the everyday pc gamer has those specs?
    Yes my pc has 16gb. Because I built it like 3 1/2 years ago and had a good chunk of money. It was a mid-high end when I built it and ram would've been a perfectly acceptable place to save money until later.

If you want to continue this I'd suggest making a thread in the computer forum.
    Exactly so my points stand it seems.
    This day and age I think 8GB is the minimum limit, with 16GB being a nice amount. Especially if you run more than just the single game and discord.
    Including that 8GB is the minimum and only for budget orientated builds. If you're not on a pure tight budget why wouldn't you get 16GB then? Especially when in many cases the cost to double your RAM is very small; and there are not drawbacks in performance in the long run.

Techspot
    The G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 is unbeatable value at just $75. Given the price of memory today we upgraded to a 16GB kit whereas this time last year we went with 8GB.
    Having 8GB of RAM is the current base for gamers...
    What does Toms say in regards to 16GB?
    16GB of RAM was chosen to allow games that preferred more than 8GB to stretch their legs with the CPU and GPU.
    What they test with is always relevant, as it's essentially the best performance you can possibly get, without the extra bottlenecks; and 8GB would be one at the mid-high end.

8GB is the minimum if you're only going to game and run a few applications like discord, and a few chrome tabs; but it is the minimum.
    Last edited by Valentyn; 2017-05-23 at 04:29 PM.

You're infuriating.