Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Honestly, I think the books are overrated shit. I hardly ever prefer movie/TV adaptations of books, but this show has proven to be the exception.
    I prefer the books, I liked the show until season 5, which made some changes I found highly aggravating. Season 6 wasn't bad, but it felt like fanfiction to me, moving things along implausibly quickly by doing implausible things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I prefer the books, I liked the show until season 5, which made some changes I found highly aggravating. Season 6 wasn't bad, but it felt like fanfiction to me, moving things along implausibly quickly by doing implausible things.
    Yeah. My major gripe about the books isn't the plot or characterization, rather the plodding and overly methodical style of writing. There were some changes in the TV series that I enjoyed and some that I didn't, I really enjoyed the storyline change regarding Xaro Xhoan Daxos for example.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I think the books are overrated shit. I hardly ever prefer movie/TV adaptations of books, but this show has proven to be the exception.
    Yeah. My major gripe about the books isn't the plot or characterization, rather the plodding and overly methodical style of writing. There were some changes in the TV series that I enjoyed and some that I didn't, I really enjoyed the storyline change regarding Xaro Xhoan Daxos for example.
    I can't deny that the last two books were, for me, far less interesting/enjoyable than the first three for the above reason.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-05-30 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    I found the same thing with Tolkein when I read it compared to the films.

Tolkein and Martin are excellent world builders, but between Tolkein described every branch of a tree and Martin extolling the virtues of every dish on a lords feasting table, it can get a bit tiresome.

But..........that's what books are.

I like the expanded scope and exploration of the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, personally. Especially when you kinda see where everything is going at the end of A Dance with Dragons.

Deleted
    While I like the world building and exploration. Martin plods and loses any focus in feasts and dance when this was already an acquired taste in the earlier books.

Comparing JRRT to GRRM they're on a very different scale of page count tough.
    Tolkien wrote lord of the ring in a 1204 page combibed book (it was only split due to the publisher/paper shortage after WW2).
    Dance alone clocks in at 1117 pages, and that's actaully like 3/4 quarters of abook with all the characters missing. Itss one book with very little "main story " progression. Mostly because of the earlier loss of focus. In splitting all his main characters and giving them all new equally well developed side characters to interact with, and "side" stories of their own nothing moves at any speed.

Tolkien did a lot of world building in apppendices and side world building book( multiple books if you count his sons series on writing the world, hugely interesting if you wanna about the process but it is rahter niche). I think GRRM should really look at that for examples. Why did we need the "soiled knight" dorn stroryline to be that expansive for a failed plot ,or huge travelogues through the riverlands/essos full of stories barely worth mentioning in the long run, Val saying "words are wind" and ""You know nothing Jon snow". It's not pointless but some these should have had way less pages devoted to them or a side book outside the main series. I know a lot of people who like the story but can't get through the books due to slow individual story progression.

Deleted
    For the whole White Walkers shouldn't risk being anywhere near the battle thing: maybe they have to be a certain range for their reanimated corpses to stay "alive"?

Eh, they're dumb overconfident supernatural entities - their motivations might not make that much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I tend to think that GRRM had his 3 eggs and picked 3 dragon riders at the outset. I don't think he'll kill one at least until all three riders are identified, and maybe not even then.

That said, I'm going to make a real effort to avoid the online talk this season. I don't want to figure this stuff out. I want to be surprised.
    Jon and Rhaegal, Daenerys and Drogo, Tyrion and Viserion.

The last one was hinted in one of the Tyrion sample chapters of AWOW, where after a game of cyvasse he picks up a white dragon figurine covered in blood (the colour of Lannisters). Thus we have 3 Targaryens for the 3 dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    For the whole White Walkers shouldn't risk being anywhere near the battle thing: maybe they have to be a certain range for their reanimated corpses to stay "alive"?

Eh, they're dumb overconfident supernatural entities - their motivations might not make that much sense.
    They probably have to be relatively close to keep them bound but considering how fast wights move an actuial White walker should never be singled out. The one Jon dualed was a test/cock waving by the night king.

And unless they give evey footmen the Thoros treatment and ignite their swords(which is possible) they are going to get fuck by the waves of the dead.

The white walker would just extinguish the burning sword.
    (see the burning building in Hardhome)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    The white walker would just extinguish the burning sword.
    (see the burning building in Hardhome)
    Unless it is done with wildfire or jon gets and uses his fire jesus powers. That's basically the only way a foot army will stand a chance aginst the wights

I just rewatched the Season Six trailer. Is Arya north of the wall? What the FUCK is she doing north of the wall? Anyone still North of the wall is damn near fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I just rewatched the Season Six trailer. Is Arya north of the wall? What the FUCK is she doing north of the wall? Anyone still North of the wall is damn near fucked.
    Seems more like it's just winter up North and she's heading home, which is in the North.

Time to binge it all in preparations of the new season!

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Someone pointed out in that (Vanity Fair? Dunno the magazine name) of the Stark kids, Arya has mysteriously obtained Littlefinger's dagger in her belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Someone pointed out in that (Vanity Fair? Dunno the magazine name) of the Stark kids, Arya has mysteriously obtained Littlefinger's dagger in her belt.
    Not so mysteriously, looting mobs is classic as it gets.

Deleted
    It should technically be snowing in Kings Landing at this point in the story, the North is pretty as inhospitable as North of the Wall during Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    I'm starting my rewatch in preparation for the new season.

Minor pet peeve: Kit Harrington's height. I find it hard to believe that a guy who's like 5'6" is one of the greatest swordsmen in the land. It reminds me of the quarterback on Friday Night Lights. They cast someone short because they're playing someone who's supposed to still be young, then the person never grows so you end up with a short guy playing a part that seems unrealistic.
    You don't have to be buff or tall to be a bad ass fighter, Bonn proves this. Jon Snow even in the books was described as lean and quick, he originally had to strap longclaw on his back because he was to to short to keep it on his hip, at least until he grew taller. He was always shorter and less muscled compared to Robb its a part of their entire(and jon's unlikely hero) dynamic.

He's not nor was ever supposed to be your classical tall buff hero bad ass, that was Robb, and we all know how well that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    You don't have to be buff or tall to be a bad ass fighter, Bonn proves this. Jon Snow even in the books was described as lean and quick, he originally had to strap longclaw on his back because he was to to short to keep it on his hip, at least until he grew taller. He was always shorter and less muscled compared to Robb its a part of their entire(and jon's unlikely hero) dynamic.

He's not nor was ever supposed to be your classical tall buff hero bad ass, that was Robb, and we all know how well that turned out.
    In the books, I believe he isn't one of the greatest swordsmen in westerns either. He is like Ned. Capable fighter but more of a commander.