Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    President Trump understands that accepting Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s resignation would ignite a political firestorm around his administration, according to a new report.

A person close to Trump told CNN that the president is keenly aware of how his firing of former FBI Director James Comey in May has dogged his White House ever since.
    CNN’s source added that Trump understands that dismissing Sessions would result in a similar challenge for his presidency.
    A source close to Sessions told CNN that the attorney general and Trump have clashed over the former’s decision to recuse himself from the federal probe of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential race.
    Sources told The New York Times Tuesday that Sessions offered to resign as he “needed the freedom to do his job,” but Trump did not accept the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    FWIW the Anti-Trump group I work for is pretty much built around getting Red / Swing state America to care very, very, very much about Trump-Russia.

Trump having a grassroots problem around 2019 (or if he survives, 2020) is a core element of what is required to take him down.

In other words, that GOP narrative, which isn't true by the way, has an expiration date. And it'll worsen when so much as a single indictment comes down.

And that's Trump's problem. For him to 'win', everybody, Flynn included, has to be exonerated, and Mueller has to say "nothing happened that was illegal... ill advised, but not illegal". The bar for his success is enormous. For Trump to lose, one figure - just one, like Carter Page or Flynn, has to be officially indicted... not even convicted. It will keep Trump-Russia alive, for years to come.

Trump's own staff characterizes this as "Death by a Thousand Leaks". They're entirely correct (for a change).
    One of the things that Republicans face is that they hate their president, and know that their constituents are (in general) a troop of imbeciles, but they need to maintain them on the loop.
    I personally think that this is a problem of taking the southern strategy, coupled with the preaching of trickle down economics as the incorporeal second coming of jesus. Republicans face a true age of reckoning. if their voters get that trickle down doesnt work, if they know that they were conned by stupid/backwards policies... the party will cease to exist, at least in its current form.
    Personally, i would be glad if northern republicans take the mantle, and middle state imbeciles get forgotten for good, and shamed for the rest of their lives, alongside with the southern republicans. they dont deserve anything better, than to live in a shitty hellhole, and be forgotten by the sane people on the world
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2017-06-07 at 08:47 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

This is probably why no one takes CNN seriously anymore. Bombshell is huge ass font, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This is probably why no one takes CNN seriously anymore. Bombshell is huge ass font, LOL.

Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    One of the things that Republicans face is that they hate their president, and know that their constituents are (in general) a troop of imbeciles, but they need to maintain them on the loop.
    I personally think that this is a problem of taking the southern strategy, coupled with the preaching of trickle down economics as the incorporeal second coming of jesus. Republicans face a true age of reckoning. if their voters get that trickle down doesnt work, if they know that they were conned by stupid/backwards policies... the party will cease to exist, at least in its current form.
    Personally, i would be glad if northern republicans take the mantle, and middle state imbeciles get forgotten for good, and shamed for the rest of their lives, alongside with the southern republicans. they dont deserve anything better, than to live in a shitty hellhole, and be forgotten by the sane people on the world
    The Republicans are facing a real problem with Anti-Trump Republicans potentially defecting to Democrats in the near term. This is exactly what happened in the 1960s and 1970s when Democrats were percieved as going soft on the USSR / National Security issues... centrist Democrats became centrist-Republicans. And it delivered them White Houses and States.

The Republican coalition is already too small to lose NeverTrumpers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepersona View Post
    care to explain?
    woke woke woke lol cnn woke woke

The news media can save itself, should Trump ever be impeached and removed from office, by simply putting on the full front page of every news paper in America:

"You're fired!" with a picture of Trump smiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account

Why isn't it a bombshell? A president cutting out Sessions in the regular, legal, channels to intimidate Comey into being a yes-man to Trump isn't a big deal?

The Republicans are facing a real problem with Anti-Trump Republicans potentially defecting to Democrats in the near term. This is exactly what happened in the 1960s and 1970s when Democrats were percieved as going soft on the USSR / National Security issues... centrist Democrats became centrist-Republicans. And it delivered them White Houses and States.

The Republican coalition is already too small to lose NeverTrumpers
    i think that in the end, the current republicans will cease to exist. Sane people in that boat will go to the democrats, and the democrats themselves will fracture into 2 parties: The center left one, and the center right one. The crazies in the south/middle america will be forgotten and shamed for good, or forced to move to the second part of the 20th century

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

It is a bombshell, you just don't understand why. CNN is taken seriously because it is a serious news agency. How can you tell you ask? Because Trump hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It is a bombshell, you just don't understand why. CNN is taken seriously because it is a serious news agency. How can you tell you ask? Because Trump hates it.
    And I'll just refer to this from Lawfare again.

This is earthshattering

10+ Year Old Account
    i think that in the end, the current republicans will cease to exist. Sane people in that boat will go to the democrats, and the democrats themselves will fracture into 2 parties: The center left one, and the center right one. The crazies in the south/middle america will be forgotten and shamed for good, or forced to move to the second part of the 20th century
    Center Lefts and Rights (aka Modrates) should have teamed up a long time ago instead of both parties playing keeper to more polarized factions within their political ideologies. The Dems werent exactly a big happy family until Donnie started messing up. The GOP can't even hide its internal division anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats been CNNs thing for the past year, at least.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Something like this is going to happen, but it's going to be a more urban / rural divide.

THe interesting part is where workers fall. Rural working concerns are fundamentally different than urban/exurban/suburban working concerns.

I've been reading recently about the Great Migration of Blacks from the South to the North and West over the course of the 20th century, and how that moved White Populations around. To a great degree, I see the demands of the deplorables to be historically consistent with the pushback against that. It's a different face to the same old ethnic tensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The news media can save itself, should Trump ever be impeached and removed from office, by simply putting on the full front page of every news paper in America:

"You're fired!" with a picture of Trump smiling.
    I'm hoping at least one goes with "Unpresidented" with his picture.

Something like this is going to happen, but it's going to be a more urban / rural divide.

THe interesting part is where workers fall. Rural working concerns are fundamentally different than urban/exurban/suburban working concerns.

I've been reading recently about the Great Migration of Blacks from the South to the North and West over the course of the 20th century, and how that moved White Populations around. To a great degree, I see the demands of the deplorables to be historically consistent with the pushback against that. It's a different face to the same old ethnic tensions.
    I didnt really understand the last part... care to explain? or at least give me a good book/paper to read
    i do personally know that suburban/exurban workers are more conservative than the urban ones

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Thats been CNNs thing for the past year, at least.
    It's their website version of a modern Four Column Headline (which historically was Five Columns)

It's reserved only for the biggest stories.

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt really understand the last part... care to explain? or at least give me a good book/paper to read
    i do personally know that suburban/exurban workers are more conservative than the urban ones

Historically upwards of 90% of blacks lived in the South, a relic of Slavery (which was largely in the South after the first decade of the 19th century).

After the Civil War and Reconstruction, Jim Crow laws in the south restricted economic and political liberties for blacks in the South. Furthermore industrialization primarily occurred in the North and Midwest starting in the early 20th century. Starting around 1910 until 1930 (the Great Depression), tens of millions of blacks moved north and west. After World War II and until around 1970 it resumed.

It was one of the largest migrations in human history up to that point. For scale, those Syrian refugees Europeans cry about? This was over ten times the size.

In the US, inner cities used to be dominated by Whites. As blacks moved in, Whites moved out. States like Massachusetts that used to be Republican bastions became Democratic bastions.

This was complicated by the political situation in the US in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Democrats were wrestling with Vietnam and the pull between going into a more Social Democracy direction (basically super-New Deal) or being centrist. Republicans were being torn between Centrist "Eisenhower" Republicans and socially conservative Barry Goldwater Republicans. Nixon was of the former, but his impeachment paved the way for Reagan who was the latter (who ruled in a coalition with the Eisenhower faction, represented by his primary rival, George H.W. Bush).

Democrats struggled with what they wanted to be until they lost the 1988 Presidential Election.

The "Southern Strategy" was the Republican plan to capitalize on White resentment and seize voters that Democrats were perceived to be abandoning.

In many ways the anxieties of Working class White America are unchanged from the 1970s - non-white "outsiders" moving in to seize economic opportunities and a privileged political position.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklift View Post
    Still going about Obstruction of justice lol. You liberal minds are so clouded with hate that you only see what you want to see.
    I like how you're deliberately not responding to everyone who's DIRECTLY QUOTING TRUMP CLAIMING TO HAVE FIRED COMEY FOR A SPECIFIC REASON.

It's hilarious that you're claiming others are seeing what they want to see when you won't even acknowledge the words of Trump himself.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Wolf Blitzer just said "about the hookers" on CNN in the most newsman-way possible while holding a straight face.

I'm genuinely impressed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Care to explain?
    CNN's journalists may still have some integrity, but the way that CNN now chooses to present their news seems to blur or cross the line between informative and eye-catching headlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Bannon: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Covfefe The Wise?
    Trump: No?
    Bannon: I thought not. It’s not a story the Democrats would tell you. It’s a GOP legend. Covfefe was a Dark Lord of the GOP, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the masses to vote against their interests… He had such a knowledge of demagoguery, he could even keep the ones he cared about from becoming liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by vondevon View Post
    CNN's journalists may still have some integrity, but the way that CNN now chooses to present their news seems to blur or cross the line between informative and eye-catching headlines.
    CNN and CNN.com are different groups to share resources. It's similar with MSNBC which had a similar two teams. Years ago MSNBC.com was once one of the top websites on the internet (and top news websites), but when MSNBC went "liberal" and MSNBC.com was more "just the facts", they diverged to the point where MSNBC.com was renamed to nbcnews.com and a proper msnbc.com, run by the channel, was put in place.

CNN TV people contribute to CNN.com all the time, so it's closer than the MSNBC/MSNBC.com relationship was, but their editorial staff is different.

Both of these are artifacts of the early internet really. CNN.com is #1 (well #2 if you include reddit). And it's been #1 since the 1990s. http://www.alexa.com/topsites/category/News