Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Could the lack of cross-play end up hurting the PS4 in the long run?

The announcement of cross-play for Minecraft and Rocket League had one major thing missing. The PS4.

It's just really weird how even "backasswards" Nintendo is even supporting this feature, but Sony isn't.

I even was hearing Sony blocked cross-play Minecraft, mind this was from one of Microsoft's heads.

Could it be arrogance? Could they have an issue they want to address first?

UPDATE:

Here's Sony's official Response.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...intendo-switch

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation for why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.
    Last edited by johnhoftb; 2017-06-13 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I do not think that supporting cross-play or not in two games is going to have a major impact on the PS4 -- considering the absolute lack of exclusives that it has had so far and it still having sold an absurd amount of systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

While I would love Cross-Play, No I don't think it will hurt the PS4 at all.

The number 1 pro of Cross-Play is having more people to play with. Well the install base for PS4 is over 60 million at this point so that isn't a issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    No, I do not think that supporting cross-play or not in two games is going to have a major impact on the PS4 -- considering the absolute lack of exclusives that it has had so far and it still having sold an absurd amount of systems.
    Do what? What lack of exclusives, the Ps4 has a fuck ton of exclusives (Both Console Exclusive and Platform Exclusive).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

There is literally double the amount of PS4s sold as Switches and Xbox One's combined.

No it's not going to hurt them.

Sony was also the first to do cross play and be a proponent for it. Now everyone is butt hurt that they want to join in and Sony is saying thanks, but no thanks. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    considering the absolute lack of exclusives
    LOL.

Let me help you out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tation_4_games

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Could it be arrogance? Could they have an issue they want to address first?
    It's called we been doing cross play since the PS2, Nintendo and MS didn't want to join in until recently and only because their player bases are far inferior to the one on playstation now.

Sony see's the entire picture. MS and Nintendo only want to cross play when it directly benefits them, Sony has been doing it since FFXI on the PS2. If someone is literally just trying to exploit you for their own gain after refusing such things in the past are you going to let them do it?

Like it or not, Nintendo and MS are the one's to blame for Sony's current stance.

Here's Sony's official Response.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...intendo-switch

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation for why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.

Deleted
    Cross-play Minecraft on PS4? You certainly have balls, Microsoft...

The PS4 is literally blowing this entire generation away in terms of sales and exclusives. Crossplay for Rocket league and Minecraft will do nothing to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    While I would love Cross-Play, No I don't think it will hurt the PS4 at all.

The number 1 pro of Cross-Play is having more people to play with. Well the install base for PS4 is over 60 million at this point so that isn't a issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Do what? What lack of exclusives, the Ps4 has a fuck ton of exclusives (Both Console Exclusive and Platform Exclusive).
    If your a multiplayer gamer then no it doesnt. Sonys good exclusives are pretty much exclusively singleplayer. I do find it funny that sony is just blatantly not wanting to work with its competitors to make this happen and ignoring what its players want.

I dont think it will hurt them as long as they are ahead in the game but i think its a shity snub to thier players
    Last edited by Zeta333; 2017-06-13 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    If your a multiplayer gamer then no it doesnt. Sonys good exclusives are pretty much exclusively singleplayer. I do find it funny that sony is just blatantly not wanting to work with its competitors to make this happen and ignoring what its players want.
    You do realize the majority of MP games on console are played on PS4 right?

Lack of Cross-Play does nothing to PS4....

I would like Cross-Play, But I also care less if its there.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

You do realize the majority of MP games on console are played on PS4 right?

Lack of Cross-Play does nothing to PS4....

I would like Cross-Play, But I also care less if its there.
    and yet there is still a reasonable reason besides fuck you to the players as to why it shouldnt be there

It sucks but i dont see it doing them any harm when they have such a huge percentage of the current gen playing on their hardware to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    It sucks but i dont see it doing them any harm when they have such a huge percentage of the current gen playing on their hardware to begin with.
    then they wouldnt have anything to lose by doing it would they

then they wouldnt have anything to lose by doing it would they
    Nothing to gain ether. We don't know the core reason why they won't do it. They have done it with many games (and was the first company to do it period).

Its likely they don't want to do it with Microsoft/Nintendo because they see both as competition. I care less ether way because once again 60 million system's sold, not hard to find players and that's the core reason to do it.

Nothing to gain ether. We don't know the core reason why they won't do it. They have done it with many games (and was the first company to do it period).

Its likely they don't want to do it with Microsoft/Nintendo because they see both as competition. I care less ether way because once again 60 million system's sold, not hard to find players and that's the core reason to do it.
    its what the players are asking for is it not? Sounds like a reason to do it, but i mean unless your admitting they dont give a fuck about them. I have no problem finding players on xbox multiplayer either, but i would never turn down a larger player pool to play against regardless of what console or who was winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, its a pro gamer move. Its fun. Adds fun to the console rivalry.

its what the players are asking for is it not?
    How many of the 60 million PS4 owners are asking for, give a fuck about or even know what cross play is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    How many of the 60 million PS4 owners are asking for, give a fuck about or even know what cross play is?
    How many care about VR?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    How many care about VR?
    Probably more then those who care about cross play.

Which is saying something LMAO.

its funny because i remember a time when sony did support it and people shit on xbox for not but now that the shoes on the other foot its a different tune. Sorry but regardless of how many people want it there is literally next to no reason it shouldnt be added. It will only improve experience, harbor more competativness and make a more enjoyable gaming experience.

10+ Year Old Account

So you dont like pro gamer things?