Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

American schnitzel.

(I'm hungry now, thanks Orlong)

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Aren't portions smaller in Europe because lunch/dinner is usually some 2-3 hour thing with different courses and such? Also the food is fresher so you can eat more in the end?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    could you tell us what country you visited?

you can get schnitzel double that size in any vienna restaurant...
    Yep. This thread is just a provocation, really.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Who says it has to be tons of cheap food? There are lots of places that have all you can eat crab legs, shrimp, prime rib, etc... The point is people should be able to eat a meal and not feel like they ate a snack. You shouldnt be paying for a meal that doesnt make you feel full, especially at the asinine prices European restaurants charge
    So please tell me, which European country and its restaurants have you been to to make this judgement? Or is this just your latest tangent you've found on the internet to blow up about?

Nobody's leaving hungry. There is no problem with plate size.
    What prices? You're just saying "BUT EUROPE" whilst completely ignoring that Europe is an entire continent with 44 countries, between which food prices vary A LOT. You're spewing lies and slander based on zero actual experience just so you can nationbash and act superior. It's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyve View Post
    Yep. This thread is just a provocation, really.

Is that meant for one person?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Of course. Never been to Vienna?

Deleted
    Yes. It's your classic Figlmüller Schnitzel.

7+ Year Old Account
    yep.

never visited vienna?

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Are you drunk? Not enough food? I'm a 6'7", 300 lbs expat living in Italy. The portions are fine. In my six years of living here, I've left a restaurant hungry once. And that's because it turned out to be mainly seafood which I don't roll with. A meal for me and my wife including wine, a ton of starters, main course and dessert and a couple of after dinner drinks will run us 50 euros, 55 bucks perhaps. And that's in the fucking capital. That's hardly enough to break any bank...

All you can eat would never work here - it's not like it hasn't been tried. And it doesn't really work. People in many parts of Europe simply care too much about the quality and the careful preparation of their food to go stuff their face at a buffet with inferior food of inferior quality, which you will inevitably have if you are to make a cheap buffet cost effective. It works in places where they, surprise surprise, don't have a very strong culinary culture and care about quantity over quality.

(Also, perhaps this is a reason why a third of all Americans can't see their own feet?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well the average American weights over 2 bills and has a piss poor diet, so maybe a little less food and smaller price is the way to go, although I seen more than my fair share of Europeans and they have more than a few large people too so.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is the European spoon and fork child sized?

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    yep.

never visited vienna?
    No. I wouldn't mind going but the plane tickets are expensive, there's the language barrier, etc. There's a lot of history in Vienna and I like history.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Why is the European spoon and fork child sized?
    Why would you need a fork longer than 20 cm? Are your hands that fat?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you understand what gastric bypass does? They literally section off part of your stomach effectively making it much smaller. A person who has had gastric bypass can not eat very much anymore after the surgery. That's why the discount is there. Why should they have to pay full price when they are eating a small fraction of what other people will eat?
    Of course I understand what gastric bypass surgery is. The irony I was referring to was the fact that the restaurant felt that there was a high enough percentage of customers with said condition to advertise/promote a discount for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyve View Post
    Why would you need a fork longer than 20 cm? Are your hands that fat?
    I was talking about OP's picture dear.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I wouldn't mind going but the plane tickets are expensive, there's the language barrier, etc. There's a lot of history in Vienna and I like history.
    language shouldn't be a problem, this is a tourist city after all

Europeans tend to eat lighter dinners (not always) and later in the evening. Plus, desert and coffee is considered a portion for dinner too.

American large dinner portions don't make sense given Americans also eat heavy breakfasts and lunch can either be quick light snack of a heavy meal too. Most of the heavy meals in European countries is usually lunch time with breakfast and dinners being the lightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't even pretend it's illegal for some people to kill you for money.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account

German schnitzel.
    You should try French Sauerkraut with it or Swedish Rostbratwurst.

PS: I actually agree with the OP. European portions as served in the country of Europe, not just some imitation of an European portion, should be as small as a childrens portion in order to justify making it as big as he wants it which he already could if only he would have gone to the right spots in Europe, shouldn't be too difficult. Just open Google Maps and enter Europe restaurants and from that list you should select a few.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2017-06-15 at 04:37 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Personally, I'm going to agree with our American friends here: if you go to a restaurant, the goal is, among other things, to stuff yourself. Sorry, but if you go to a restaurant, and leave without your stomach feeling slightly overfull, that's not a satisfactory meal. I'm not saying this is more important than the meal actually being tasty, but the size matters too. I mean, saying you can be satisfied with the taste and nothing else in a restaurant is the same as saying you can be fully satisfied by a barbecue at home without eating so much that you feel like your stomach will explode.

Now, if you go to a European restaurant and find yourself unsatisfied with the size of the portion, you've either gone to a bad restaurant (they always exist), or a fancy one, where they expect you to eat some sort of appetizer and/or dessert.