Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Now wait for it. If nobody or very few appear at court; why raid them ? it stinks of overreaction then.
    My guess is that it was an investigation by police to determine whether these people had the means / desire to carry out their threats.

You know how after any kind of terrorist attack we get news stories about the terrorists making threats on Facebook or Twitter, or that they'd previously had people call the police to report them, but authorities did nothing? Then we get a wave of people demanding to know why action wasn't taken sooner to prevent the tragedy?

What happened in Germany is exactly the response that people want as an effective measure to combat potential acts of terrorism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Fascism is bad. So we'll hunt down everyone who holds different views than ours!
    Didn't realize that people making threats against others was a "different view" that deserves respect.

Is it not the job of the police to keep the peace and to protect citizens?
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Human dignity is the highest valued right by German standards. Every other law is overshadowed by this law. It has nothing to do with Gestapo, nazi, right wing, left wing or any other bullshit.

It's about being a decent human being.
    Decent human being, defined by your Government. Any country that follows this sort of philosophy is doomed to totalitarianism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I live in the United States where there are laws of freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Free-thought Gestapo is the problem. It's basically PC Nazism.
    Right. I guess you don't know what gastepo was or nazism is if you say this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    USA are the outliers in regards to free speech, not the rest of the world. Most of the world has far more restrictions than you do.
    With laws like these? If that's the case then the US is an outlier due it being the only country that actually has freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    With laws like these? If that's the case then the US is an outlier due it being the only country that actually has freedom of speech.
    No country allows everyone to say anything they want to without risking penalties. Not even USA.

Deleted
    The only ones upset about this are Keyboard Nazies, Trolls and the occassional idiot.
    I am sure the Germans are devastated that such groups are upset about this.

If you think it is ok to threaten people, then whoever raised you failed.

Old habits die hard huh germany

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    That you wish for this to be true, doesn't make it. People are extremely offended, and you are calling them nazi-idiots. Says enough about you who cannot recognize a deep concern for our human rights. As for nazis this case is nothing new and just add to a long history of injustice. It is actually the non-nazis reacting. Chew on that piece of reality that you don't like and wish to censor.
    Deep concern for your human rights? Racism and threatening others isn't enshrined by human rights in the first place.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    The only ones upset about this are Keyboard Nazies, Trolls and the occassional idiot.
    I am sure the Germans are devastated that such groups are upset about this.

If you think it is ok to threaten people, then whoever raised you failed.
    To be fair: nobody knows yet what those messages said. i wouldnt hold my breath all 36 cases are worthy of a court.
    parts of german government wants to control FB and co. for their actions ( sort of "thou shalt delete this and that or hell'll break loose !!!" ) but the idea is not so popular. raiding the fb members is the second weird idea they could pull off their butts.

from OP:
    The raids come as Germans are debating the draft of a new social media law aimed at cracking down on hate speech, a measure that an array of experts said was unconstitutional at a parliamentary hearing this week.

The measure, championed by Justice Minister Heiko Maas for passage this month, would fine Facebook, Twitter and other outlets up to $73 million (50 million euros) if they failed to remove hate speech and other forms of illegal content.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-06-21 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Didn't realize that people making threats against others was a "different view" that deserves respect.

Is it not the job of the police to keep the peace and to protect citizens?
    Especially if they are natives from said country. Those should be focused on harder than the rest. Can't let them internet trolls go wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Germany should show that they're against nazism and totalitarianism by actively promoting liberty for all. Not by destroying their rights to free speech. This is nothing but a totalitarian Government taking rights and power from the people.

By trying to erase German history and freedom of speech, Germany is proving to the world that it did not learn its lesson.
    Letting extremists promote murder and terror is not going to help anyone though.

Right. I guess you don't know what gastepo was or nazism is if you say this.
    Yes, being arrested by the thought police for posting something they dont like.. yeah, that doesn't sound like being Nazis AT ALL.... Attempting to pass legislation about what can and can not be said on social media? Totally not Gestapo like... I love how liberals ideals of freedom of speech go full blown fascism whenever someone wants to say something they dont like.

I do not share that concern, first of all it is Americans who are offended as they have some values intact. Why do you induce those factors into your PCness.
    PCness?
    And where does it prove that this case was racism and threat's. Please don't troll me
    In a coordinated campaign across 14 states, German police have raided the homes of 36 people accused of hateful postings over social media, including threats, coercion and incitement to racism.
    I find it very unlikely that they made it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, being arrested by the thought police for posting something they dont like.. yeah, that doesn't sound like being Nazis AT ALL.... Attempting to pass legislation about what can and can not be said on social media? Totally not Gestapo like... I love how liberals ideals of freedom of speech go full blown fascism whenever someone wants to say something they dont like.
    You think me to be a liberal?

No country allows everyone to say anything they want to without risking penalties. Not even USA.
    Last I checked, the American government wasn't arresting people for expressing ideas they disagree with, or trying to censor social media.

Last I checked, the American government wasn't arresting people for expressing ideas they disagree with, or trying to censor social media.
    So? You still restrict peoples speech. It's not absolute.

So? You still restrict peoples speech. It's not absolute.
    No.. they dont.... see: Kathy Griffin severed head stunt, Madonna expressing her desire to blow up the White House etc... Notice how those people ARENT in jail? Or had their houses raided? Or charged with anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    Wow, Germany. What the hell happened to you?
    Full circle? Pretty sure Nazis did the same thing to anyone that didn't agree with their group-think.

"The still high incidence of punishable hate posting shows a need for police action," Holger Muench, president of the Federal Criminal Police Office, said in a statement. "Our free society must not allow a climate of fear, threat, criminal violence and violence either on the street or on the internet."
    The irony of talking about a free society and censorship in the same sentence.

No.. they dont.... see: Kathy Griffin severed head stunt, Madonna expressing her desire to blow up the White House etc... Notice how those people ARENT in jail? Or had their houses raided? Or charged with anything at all?
    Yeah, you do. You have laws against defamation/libel/slander, you cannot threaten to do violence to people nor incite to violence.

Deleted
    That you wish for this to be true, doesn't make it. People are extremely offended, and you are calling them nazi-idiots. Says enough about you who cannot recognize a deep concern for our human rights. As for nazis this case is nothing new and just add to a long history of injustice. It is actually the non-nazis reacting. Chew on that piece of reality that you don't like and wish to censor.
    Well, I struck a nerve it seems. I apologise if I hurt your feelings.
    Also I did not call anyone Nazi-Idiots. It would be reduntant. Like saying wet water or round wheel. I used the phrase Keyboard Nazies, Trolls and idiots. Because in all honesty I cannot think of any normal person, who thinks threatning people is not against the law and everyone knows this.

This is all this forum post is. People being upset that they cannot send threats over the internet. They can dress it up all they want. But a Cow in a dress is still a Cow. A threat is still a threat regardless of how it is delivered. Verbal, Smoke, Electronic etc etc.